REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-06-2022, 11:34 PM   #301
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,193 Times in 2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Holy shit!

Marijuana being removed as a scheduled drug, and federal possession charges will all be dropped. They're going to try to get the states to do the same thing.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1578097878094024712
Red states and Republicans shitting their pants at the idea of inmates and criminals convicted of minor marijuana related crimes could be let free into their communities, after relying on them as a strawman whattaboutist argument in their gaslighting tactics.
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2022, 07:28 AM   #302
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Dumb question, but will those charges being dropped allow some people to vote again? I know down there certain convictions mean you can't.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:52 AM   #303
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Dumb question, but will those charges being dropped allow some people to vote again? I know down there certain convictions mean you can't.

Yeah. A felony (in Canada, known as an indictable offence) does bar you in some some states from being able to vote. But this is on a state-to-state basis.

In California a person can vote with a felony conviction, but not while they're currently serving time. Here in Texas a person can vote with a felony conviction when their sentence (including parole/probation) is complete. In Kentucky, so sad too bad. No voting for you. In Maine, everybody can vote (even if you're in Shawshank at the time).

Its a spectrum across the country with voting permissions with felony convictions being allowed, not allowed, or allowed in certain conditions. On parole/probation, off parole/probation, depends on the state.

The real problem is not just the marijuana conviction but the recidivism that occurs as a result of a felony. Felonies bar people from student loans, and a lot of types of employment. It can be a kind of enforced poverty and it predominantly affects young black men who have traditionally faced a number of other barriers to employment so this just compounds the problem.

A middle-class or lower high school kid gets caught with a few joints on his way to a party at 17, gets convicted of a felony, and gets out to find that the world that is accessible to so many is entirely inaccessible to him. What does he do in order to support himself? Turn to crime in many cases. This isn't a judgement on an entire racial socio-economic class... this is the reality.

The fact is that those convictions led to more crime because of the options taken away for what many believe is a harmless indulgence. Without gainful employment, and in a society that openly discriminates against ex-convicts, crime is a very real option for folks.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6580444/
https://bjs.ojp.gov/drugs-and-crime-...-use-and-crime

I'm paraphrasing a lot of research on the topic, but those recidivism rates also seem to vary from state-to-state.

https://www.hrw.org/report/2012/11/2...violent-felons

This is a good step. I'm not saying its not. I'm just saying that its come decades too late and a lot of lives have been hurt by the policies they're overturning.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #304
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,591 Times in 1,729 Posts
^Not only that but having a felony not only affects your ability to access grants.

Convicted felons are not allowed to apply for federal or state grants, live in public housing, or receive federal cash assistance, SSI (Social security insurance, our version of EI) or food stamps, among other benefits.

I find this portion the most pernicious of all. Voting is one thing, but to remove your ability from gainful employment and any social assistance is literally insane. You pretty much encourage a person down the path of criminality and recidivism.

It's almost by design.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2022, 12:39 PM   #305

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
To my mind by removing their ability to vote is effectively saying they aren't considered a person anymore. After that I guess the rest just follows.

Of course the original point by the right wingers was to make it harder on those they consider undesirable (like hippies and minorities) so it's not overly surprising that they don't want certain groups considered to count as actual people.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:58 PM   #306
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
I'm ok with convicted felons not being allowed to vote while serving their sentence.

Someone who commits a serious crime broke their social contract to society in some way, so it's reasonable to me that some societal rights be suspended while they are repaying that debt to society.

I mean, murder victims can't vote in elections...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:54 PM   #307

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Need proof conservatives are stupid. Walker in a debate claims to be a cop and pulls out a fake badge.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Heartland...0%2Fframe.html
Old 10-21-2022, 01:03 PM   #308
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Looks like Biden is going after journalists working on stories involving classified info

Emmy winning ABC news producer who worked on a story regarding green beret deaths in 2017, and was about to publish a book, suddenly quits, goes missing, and the fbi raids his home. His coworker had also quit and refuses to comment.

The publisher of his book also edited his books intro and then removed it entirely from their release schedule

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2205994.html

Sounds like a movie
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:22 PM   #309
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,911 Posts
^ wait ... I thought things like this only happens in Russia or Iran.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2022, 11:44 AM   #310

Thanked 4,591 Times in 1,729 Posts
There is a documentary about this whole debacle.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15909364/

Classic case of shitty military brass sending guys into a shitty situation and attempting to cover their fuckup.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2022, 12:38 PM   #311

Brittney Griner prisoner exchange/trade ... for some arms dealer. Seemed like Biden got fleeced like Benning ...not a very fair trade.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:46 PM   #312
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Lol Griner should consider herself the luckiest person on earth right about now.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2022, 01:51 PM   #313
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Lol imagine it was just some random dude. No fuckin chance that would happen.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:26 PM   #314
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,584 Times in 4,299 Posts
crazy how Biden actually gave up the lord of war for her.. WTF was he thinking.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2022, 02:41 PM   #315
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,459 Times in 5,117 Posts
He didn't need to think, hardcore left base and current social politics demanded it.

The white guy who was supposed to be packaged in got left to continue rotting.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:51 PM   #316

Thanked 3,238 Times in 1,224 Posts
Black lesbian WNBA player, you couldn't hand pick a better candidate for the woke left to cry over
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-12-2022, 12:21 AM   #317
GS8

Thanked 7,282 Times in 1,970 Posts
Interesting how UAE was involved in the trade (facilitating Griney)

I wonder if the UAE is really interesting in facilitating the merchant of death because, you know, he facilitates arms deals with the Taliban and probably al-Qaeda.

The US would look incredibly stupid if Russia & the UAE just pulled a brilliant one over the inept eyes of the leadership of a superpower. Such clear optics, Stevie Wonder would be in awe...

Last edited by GS8; 12-12-2022 at 12:28 AM.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:51 AM   #318

Biden had classified files laying around in an old office

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64218179

Quote:
Classified files found at Biden's former private office
Published
10 hours ago

The US justice department is reviewing documents marked classified found in President Joe Biden's former office at a think tank, the White House says.

About 10 of the files were discovered in a locked closet at the Penn Biden Center in Washington in November by Mr Biden's legal team, his lawyer said.

The batch has been handed over to the National Archives.

Mr Biden's predecessor, Donald Trump, is facing a probe for taking classified files to Florida after his presidency.

The documents discovered in Mr Biden's office dated to his time as vice president, according to his lawyer. Mr Biden, who served as President Barack Obama's second-in-command, left that position in January 2017.
No matter how it's spun by either side, this isn't going to go away soon

Republicans will definitely use it to point out how Trump is getting mistreated for the same thing
Old 01-10-2023, 12:04 PM   #319

Alzheimer ...

Can we please have someone younger as the next candidate ... both Rep and Democrats. Oh sorry ... that's ageism, the new fangle trendy word.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:16 PM   #320
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Biden had classified files laying around in an old office

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64218179

No matter how it's spun by either side, this isn't going to go away soon

Republicans will definitely use it to point out how Trump is getting mistreated for the same thing
Literally the next part of the article says this:
Quote:
There are, however, key differences between Mr Biden and Mr Trump's cases.

Mr Trump's inquiry deals with a greater number of classified documents, including 18 marked top secret. Federal prosecutors allege that Mr Trump's legal team did not adequately co-operate with the National Archives to properly return the documents, prompting a historic FBI raid of his Mar-a-Lago estate.

In a statement to the New York Times, the White House said the president's lawyers alerted the National Archives as soon as they recovered the materials and the agency retrieved the materials the next morning.

According to the BBC's US partner CBS News, the FBI is involved in the inquiry and US Attorney General Merrick Garland has been asked to review the papers.
Let's think critically here. I mean Yes, someone on Biden's team (or himself) fucked up, but the similarities end there.

Classified documents held locked at a private office a mile from the White House when he was VP, voluntarily turned over and cooperating with investigation.

Classified Top Secret documents held freely at a home in Florida, repeatedly lying about them, and while under suspicion for influence by foreign entities.

But yes this is a bad look.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2023, 12:53 PM   #321

Yep there's a whole slew of why's, ifs, buts, how comes, n howevers, in the article (spin by both sides)

Not a good look, but totally entertaining

Last edited by StylinRed; 01-10-2023 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:43 PM   #322
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
What powers over classified documents do Vice Presidents have vs Presidents?

That Biden thinktank also seems to have funding from China. Does this mean they had access to those documents?
Old 01-11-2023, 02:00 PM   #323

The files weren't locked away they were just in a storage closet, also supposedly they pertain to Ukraine, back when Biden Jr and the "big guy" was getting kickbacks from Ukraine

Also, a second cache of classified files was found elsewhere

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64244007

Quote:
US President Joe Biden's aides have found another batch of classified government records in a second location, according to US media.

The first cache of classified files were found in November at a private office in Washington DC that Mr Biden used after his time as vice-president.

The matter is currently under review by the US Department of Justice.
No details yet ab this second batch
Old 01-12-2023, 08:29 AM   #324
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Old 01-12-2023, 08:34 AM   #325
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,459 Times in 5,117 Posts
It's bad optics, if Trump had said shit you're right I have docs in my basement here you go... it would have been a nothing story.

It turned into a shit storm because he refused to give them back, tried to hide them and was known to show some of them off to people who visited.

Anyone with half a brain can understand the difference... unfortunately the media (if you can call Sean Hannity media at this point in time) is a bunch of screaming babies.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: