REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   What's the last movie you saw and rate it... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/513888-whats-last-movie-you-saw-rate.html)

white rocket 07-31-2017 08:54 AM

The Fate of the Furious 7/10 - Worst title ever. Aside from the cheesy CGI that plagues movies nowadays that was really my only complaint. I think these movies(especially this one) are almost self aware of it's own over-the-top nature that they take it one level further. I was either laughing so hard I was crying(Statham and the Rock were hilarious) or was throw back in my seat with the out of this world over the top action sequences. Completely unrealistic and terrible cheesy one dialogue but at the same time it worked for what it was. I felt entertained.

StylinRed 08-03-2017 09:32 AM

Atomic Blonde more SALT than John Wick, its good, but there is a bit of a lull, a few people walked out. i liked it ^^ 7/10

also you get to see Charlize naked, there is a lesbian sex scene, plus she kicks ass, so...

604STIG 08-03-2017 11:26 AM

Atomic Blonde: 7.5/10
Valerian: 6/10

SkinnyPupp 08-03-2017 05:15 PM

Dunkirk 7/10

I had to go see it while it is playing in good cinemas, or I would never ever be able to. It was intense as I had expected, and they did a good job of telling a story with very little dialog. I'll always love the way Nolan directs his films, especially the way he uses a non musical soundtrack to enhance what is going on at the time.

A lot like Gravity, it's worth seeing if you have time to check it out while it's still in theatres for an enjoyable, intense cinematic experience. It's probably even better on Imax.

Phozy 08-10-2017 07:37 PM

A couple recognizable actors in this one

Shot Caller

8/10, moves from past to present without confusion, and gives enough room for character development. The trailer portrays the wrong vibe; recommended if you like gang related stuff with a side of human compassion.

Presto 08-12-2017 09:13 PM

Dunkirk IMAX 70mm

7/10

The giant screen and detail made it a terrific, harrowing experience.

M3E46Fanatic 08-13-2017 06:36 AM

2 fast 2 furious

8/10

it's a classic

DragonChi 08-13-2017 08:29 AM

Bahubaali 1 & 2, 2/10

Does not deserve the hype and rating on IMDB.

Story didn't make sense, overly drawn out, acting bad. I literally want to unsubscribe from Netflix after wasting my time watching those movies.

Ferra 08-14-2017 10:08 AM

(Flame suit on)

Dunkirk 4/10

I went in with really high expectation...(8.5 imdb, I liked all the other Nolan movies)

First 30min: beautiful visual and cinematography...movies started off very slow, but I was thinking it will get there...

60min: who is the main character here..?? this is so.... boring. I still don't see what story it is trying to tell.

90min: I am starting to get headache with all the floating water/plane shot...still no sign of story. Not feeling any connection with any of the characters...don't care if they die or not.

Movie ends: WTF did i just watch lol

Basically felt like a very depressing documentary....I guess it tries to show the hopelessness and miseries for the soldiers in Dunkirk?
The evacuation scene weren't grand enough (Yea I know he is not using CGI hence can't show thousands of boats and hundreds of thousands of people in a shot..)
The final boat rescue weren't emotional...(Not surprising since I didn't care for of any of the characters)

I mean...if I went to watch it expecting a documentary it is probably a 9/10. But I was going in expecting a "entertainment" movies like inception, the prestige, etc.
The movie has no story, no characters, no climax....

SkinnyPupp 08-14-2017 06:14 PM

Opinions are subjective so nobody is going to call you out if you didn't like a movie they liked. But
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferra (Post 8856295)

:ahwow:

6793026 08-16-2017 11:17 AM

baywatch 6/10 acting and story was meh, jokes were all around the whole time non stop. It was a brainless watch to say the least.

CivicBlues 08-16-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferra (Post 8856295)
(Flame suit on)

Dunkirk 4/10

I went in with really high expectation...(8.5 imdb, I liked all the other Nolan movies)

First 30min: beautiful visual and cinematography...movies started off very slow, but I was thinking it will get there...

60min: who is the main character here..?? this is so.... boring. I still don't see what story it is trying to tell.

90min: I am starting to get headache with all the floating water/plane shot...still no sign of story. Not feeling any connection with any of the characters...don't care if they die or not.

Movie ends: WTF did i just watch lol

Basically felt like a very depressing documentary....I guess it tries to show the hopelessness and miseries for the soldiers in Dunkirk?
The evacuation scene weren't grand enough (Yea I know he is not using CGI hence can't show thousands of boats and hundreds of thousands of people in a shot..)
The final boat rescue weren't emotional...(Not surprising since I didn't care for of any of the characters)

I mean...if I went to watch it expecting a documentary it is probably a 9/10. But I was going in expecting a "entertainment" movies like inception, the prestige, etc.

There are 3 stories (Land, Sea, Air), 3 main characters (Soldier, Boater/Boater's son, Pilot), and the climax to the movie is when all 3 stories converged with it's varying timescales (land - 1 week, sea - 1 day, air 1- hour). The beauty of this is that you don't realize this convergence until almost the end.

Were you fucking even paying attention? :rukidding:

I think Ben Affleck's Pearl Harbor is more up your alley.

SkinnyPupp 08-16-2017 05:25 PM

This might sound more rude than intended, but people like Ferra are the reason movies kind of suck now. Even "dumb action movies" are MUCH dumber than they used to be.

How many times did you look at your phone I wonder? LUL

iwantaskyline 08-17-2017 08:56 AM

I thought Dunkirk was a masterpiece. 9/10. Saw it in 75mm and it was the best I've seen visually.

I can see how some people won't like it though. Sound wise it was VERY loud which I can see throwing people's focus out of the movie. I have never heard gunshots from a movie be that loud. Also in true Nolan fashion some of the dialogue was very hard to hear.

Ferra 08-17-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 8856637)
There are 3 stories (Land, Sea, Air), 3 main characters (Soldier, Boater/Boater's son, Pilot), and the climax to the movie is when all 3 stories converged with it's varying timescales (land - 1 week, sea - 1 day, air 1- hour). The beauty of this is that you don't realize this convergence until almost the end.

Were you fucking even paying attention? :rukidding:

I think Ben Affleck's Pearl Harbor is more up your alley.

lol I knew i am going to get reply like this

For discussion sake...

The non-linear timeline didn't give me any "shocker" moment. I feel like they were done just for the sake of having a non-linear time line.
There were also shots before to suggest the different time line, so the final reveal wasn't even a surprise.
E.g. in comparison, I thought Arrival (watched it few weeks ago, 9/10) used non-linear timeline in a much more beautiful way. It was surprising, and it added value to the story.
dunkirk non-linear timeline didn't change anything about the story.

It is hard to care for the main characters we knew nothing about and doesn't show much characters.
Tom Hardy hiding behind his mask fighting enemy bomber. It could've been any random characters and it wouldn't have made any difference.
Same with the solider and fisherman. They all seem to lacks characters and emotions, just doing what they are supposed to.
The only characters I felt any emotion from was the stranded pilot (Cillian Murphy). I can sympathize with his traumatic experience and understand why he acted they way he did.

In the end, I am no film critics, but I do enjoy movies that are both beautifully made, entertaining and thought provoking . This movie is beautifully made, but not the other 2 for me.

And can we just try to share opinion without making personal attack and degrading others? :lol

Ferra 08-17-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantaskyline (Post 8856804)
I thought Dunkirk was a masterpiece. 9/10. Saw it in 75mm and it was the best I've seen visually.

I can see how some people won't like it though. Sound wise it was VERY loud which I can see throwing people's focus out of the movie. I have never heard gunshots from a movie be that loud. Also in true Nolan fashion some of the dialogue was very hard to hear.

Other things that irked me personally are those floating air shot.
I get headache everytime I watch those floating, first person shots on a big screen.
(e.g. I had to walk out and take a break when I was watching captain phillips...)

white rocket 08-17-2017 10:38 AM

Alien: Convenant 8/10 - I thought it was great. The first two movies are my all time favorites so perhaps I will be a bit biased. I went in with low expectations and was left feeling very entertained and satisfied with the story. Not sure about scientists doing dumb things as everything just seemed to flow with the intensity of the events that took place. Beautifully shot with amazing scenery and space shit. Sounds was great. Characters were just fine (James Franco's character was straight fire! ha!) with all developing nicely. Yeah, the CGI parts were a bit cheesy but I feel like I'm always saying that nowadays. I need to learn to live with that normality now. Aliens were cool. It had enough horror, thiller and sci-fi to keep me entertained the whole time. As an avid Alien fan I'd say this movie delivered in many ways while also answering lots of questions and still offering a nice twist(although it was easy to spot).

I'd almost give it a higher rating.

jlo mein 08-17-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Sound wise it was VERY loud which I can see throwing people's focus out of the movie. I have never heard gunshots from a movie be that loud.

This might just be the 70mm IMAX version, or the sound levels at Langley Cineplex. I agree that Dunkirk 70mm was incredibly loud in Langley, but a friend saw it in New West Landmark and said it wasn't loud at all.

Regardless, all cinemas are too loud these days and beyond hearing safe levels. Musicians earplugs that block noise evenly over the spectrum of sound are a great investment.

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white rocket (Post 8856836)
Alien: Convenant 8/10 - I thought it was great. The first two movies are my all time favorites so perhaps I will be a bit biased. I went in with low expectations and was left feeling very entertained and satisfied with the story. Not sure about scientists doing dumb things as everything just seemed to flow with the intensity of the events that took place. Beautifully shot with amazing scenery and space shit. Sounds was great. Characters were just fine (James Franco's character was straight fire! ha!) with all developing nicely. Yeah, the CGI parts were a bit cheesy but I feel like I'm always saying that nowadays. I need to learn to live with that normality now. Aliens were cool. It had enough horror, thiller and sci-fi to keep me entertained the whole time. As an avid Alien fan I'd say this movie delivered in many ways while also answering lots of questions and still offering a nice twist(although it was easy to spot).

I'd almost give it a higher rating.

Did you watch Prometheus?

Ulic Qel-Droma 08-18-2017 05:42 AM

Quote:

I have never heard gunshots from a movie be that loud. Also in true Nolan fashion some of the dialogue was very hard to hear.

the best effects in that movie were the sounds.

the gun shots and gun shots hitting.

the sound of the airplanes flying, flying over, the rattling in the cockpit.

all very loud, and attention seeking, distracting. just like real life. those sounds should drown out everything, almost all your senses, impossible to ignore, and disorient you.

i saw it in IMAX btw

white rocket 08-18-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8856904)
Did you watch Prometheus?

Of course. Thought it was more sci-fi than anything. Posed more questions than it answered. Same beautiful scenery and space stuff but I thought Covenant edged it out a bit in that category as well as being a better movie overall.

blkgsr 08-18-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8854781)
Atomic Blonde more SALT than John Wick, its good, but there is a bit of a lull, a few people walked out. i liked it ^^ 7/10

also you get to see Charlize naked, there is a lesbian sex scene, plus she kicks ass, so...

Charlize naked after all these years....desperate for a role?

i heard the movie sucked but i'll download it

blkgsr 08-18-2017 07:56 AM

also who's got the best theaters now in the coquitlam area?

Silvercity? Meadow Town?

I know Silvercity has the AVX and VIP ones but who has the best screens and sound system now?

SkinnyPupp 08-21-2017 06:49 AM

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

5/10

WAAAAAAAAAAAY too long. The end fight took fucken forever, and again we have a marvel movie where they have this big powerful final boss, and he's weak and lame. No threats, no suspense, just watching the (really nice) visuals and waiting for things to happen. This is a departure from the first Guardians which I liked quite a bit.

Batista had some incredible lines though

6793026 08-21-2017 09:52 PM

The Autopsy of Jane Doe
http://www.dreadcentral.com/wp-conte...f-jane-doe.jpg

Holy fuck, didn't know if it was a thriller or not, so i went in going in thinking it was just some weird cop case etc. Damn, it delivered. Great acting, script, score, all around very good delivery of a thriller. Keeps you on your toes the entire time. Very graphic movie (duhhhh it does say autopsy....)

The ONLY thing which a lot of people are having a tough time is the lack of a climax / ending. Just beware of that. There's a line when it shifts from a suspense towards a supernatural thriller and when it crosses over, it doesn't connect well.

aside from that, solid 9/10