REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #626
Founder, RS Veteran

Pulled our Camry over to the side of the road on Nanaimo and Kingsway to feed our baby. Tried to start the car but battery was dead. After 10 minutes, I gave up and I walked around for help. first car I saw. Two shady looking Vietnamese people in a beat up corolla. They were about to drive away but I quickly went up and knocked on their window. I asked them for a jumpstart. I expected a no.

In his broken English, the passenger asked: "You have jumper cable?"

I said yes and they immediately followed me to our car down the block on the busy street. We hooked up the cables, I started my car and they apologized b/c they had to go. I thanked them profusely as they drove off.

Happened last weekend.

Thank you two!
Advertisement

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #627
McLyin'

Thanked 1,677 Times in 169 Posts
I was working out today at the gym by my office and I saw a really cute girl's shaker bottle get crushed by the douche next her. The funny thing is that I had just bought 6 shakers from GHN cuz i have shaker nomes in my house and car. I ran out to my car to get one of them and I was a bit shy but what the heck I walked over and said I noticed your shaker got owned so here I have a ton in my car. She smiled and offered to buy me lunch to bad I had to go to work but I got her number and we arranged a lunch date when we where both free.

Random acts of kindness FTW
dr.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #628
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.funk View Post
I was working out today at the gym by my office and I saw a really cute girl's shaker bottle get crushed by the douche next her. The funny thing is that I had just bought 6 shakers from GHN cuz i have shaker nomes in my house and car. I ran out to my car to get one of them and I was a bit shy but what the heck I walked over and said I noticed your shaker got owned so here I have a ton in my car. She smiled and offered to buy me lunch to bad I had to go to work but I got her number and we arranged a lunch date when we where both free.

Random acts of kindness FTW
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #629
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I let an elder fellow go ahead of me today at the grocery store as he only had a few items and I had a whole cart. This fellow didn't look well and I could see he had a prescription filled in the cart.

His son comes to join him (and his son is in his late 40's) and he says to me "I see why you let him go ahead now" - and points to the two young women in summer dresses behind me. I said, "No, I saw your father's legs (which are very swollen at the bottom and purple, usually from diabetes) and his prescription, I figured he needs to sit down soon". His son gave me a half hug and said "thanks, and you're right".
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #630
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
I let an elder fellow go ahead of me today at the grocery store as he only had a few items and I had a whole cart. This fellow didn't look well and I could see he had a prescription filled in the cart.

His son comes to join him (and his son is in his late 40's) and he says to me "I see why you let him go ahead now" - and points to the two young women in summer dresses behind me. I said, "No, I saw your father's legs (which are very swollen at the bottom and purple, usually from diabetes) and his prescription, I figured he needs to sit down soon". His son gave me a half hug and said "thanks, and you're right".
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #631
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Saw a woman just across the border with car trouble. Let her use my phone to call her husband.
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #632
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
omw to Winnipeg for a funeral, saw an older couple in kamloops struggling with a large bottle off water, walked up and they looked scared until I offered to open up for them afterwards they were said they thought I was co ming to rob them as it happened before, I just said that maybe this was karma's way of making it up for them. I hope whoever did rib then previously gets what's coming to them.
Posted via RS Mobile
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #633
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Was walking to the coffee shop near my work place when a lady came over and said "hi... I'm not a pan handler or a drug addict so don't run away... my car just ran out of gas, my daughter is in the car, and I just need some change for the bus, you can even take down my name." I fumbled in my pocket for change and didn't have anything in coins. I ended up giving her a $5 bill. Hope she and her daughter got back to Alberta safely.
bchizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #634
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Edmonton Tim Hortons mystery customer buys coffee for 500, no explanation given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #635
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

LOL i had mom asking if it was me cause thats what i always get..

as we were laughing about it i got message from my dad with a link..... my aunt bought 800 coffee for the hospital staff where her father is located in edmonton.

Free coffee trend strikes twice in one day at Edmonton Tim Hortons - Edmonton - CBC News
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #636
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchizzle View Post
Was walking to the coffee shop near my work place when a lady came over and said "hi... I'm not a pan handler or a drug addict so don't run away... my car just ran out of gas, my daughter is in the car, and I just need some change for the bus, you can even take down my name." I fumbled in my pocket for change and didn't have anything in coins. I ended up giving her a $5 bill. Hope she and her daughter got back to Alberta safely.

hope she had a good story as to why she needed to go so far away from her daughter (who is still in the car) as that she needs to bus back to it. and this car is broken down with her still in it

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #637
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchizzle View Post
Hate to say it but you probably got scammed.

If this situation ever arose (and it did once for me), I would go and get the daughter (or back to the car) and make sure the story is true. Then I would personally buy the ticket for these people and not just blindly give them money.

I distinctly remembered a guy with a similar story approached me at the save-on food parking lot (off of grandview between skeena and rupert). Said his car broke down/out of gas and was trying to get to coquitlam but translink police kept kicking him off the skytrain. I asked him where his car was and he said right at boundary and so I offered to go and grab gas for him when he shows me where his car is. He kept on making excuses and then when we went to go look for his car, he disappeared.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #638
Peanut Butter Jelly with a Baseball Bat!

A while back in early spring when it was still rainy and cold, a friend was driving me back home after dinner. We waited at the intersection for an old lady w/ a cane and only a bathrobe on to cross the street. She was moving pretty slow and I thought it was weird that she only had a bathrobe on since it was still cold. As she took the step up onto the curb, she didn't lift her foot high enough, lost her balance and fell right into all the mud and wet leaves.

Since I was the passenger in the car, I bolted out and tried to help her up, my friend came too as soon as she parked her car. We asked the lady where she lived, and turned out she was just in the building across from mine 1 block over. The old lady was also rambling on about how she wanted to call a cab to go to a party, I suspect she probably had alzheimers.

My friend and I walked her back to her building and as we were going in, some of the old lady's neighbours had just got home, they asked what happened and we relayed the story. Apparently this old lady has been living alone for 20+ years in the same unit and her condition has been getting steadily worse. The neighbour thanked us for doing what we did and told us she was going to call the old lady's son to come check on her.

It was quite scary as I didn't know how serious any injuries she might have had were, but she didn't hit her head (thank goodness) and when asked she didn't say that she was hurt anywhere. We were lucky her neighbours showed up when they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
this aint mcdonalds, smiles aren't free.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #639
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Kits.

I see a woman marking the sidewalk with chalk.
It's to aware those that would park by the obscured fire plug.
"Totally cool" got me a smile.

photo.JPG
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #640
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Was at Royal Bank the other day, and an elderly women was trying to get into the bank but was having a hard time due to her walker. I asked her if she wanted to get in and she replied yes. Proceeded to hold the door open for her...she seemed shocked and thanked me several times.

Made my day knowing that I put a smile on her face.

Last edited by StutteR_; 07-28-2013 at 01:42 PM.
StutteR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #641
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

If this situation ever arose (and it did once for me), I would go and get the daughter (or back to the car) and make sure the story is true. Then I would personally buy the ticket for these people and not just blindly give them money.

I distinctly remembered a guy with a similar story approached me at the save-on food parking lot (off of grandview between skeena and rupert). Said his car broke down/out of gas and was trying to get to coquitlam but translink police kept kicking him off the skytrain. I asked him where his car was and he said right at boundary and so I offered to go and grab gas for him when he shows me where his car is. He kept on making excuses and then when we went to go look for his car, he disappeared.
Was at metrotown underground parking lot earlier this year, by the t&t. And this younger guy was going around asking people for money because he claimed his car ran out of gas and he needed to get to ubc. He approached me and I asked him where his car was, and hes like oh its parked in that aisle. Already knowing hes trying to scam people before he even talked to me, I told him to show me his car so I know which to come back to with gas, then he said he was parked further that way and just wanted the money instead. At that point I was like, yea...no. Then I found mall security and informed them of the guy. After he talked to me, I could see he was making his rounds again for money.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #642
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Read this earlier today, had nothing to do so i went for a drive.
Story of lemonade stand melts hearts in Chilliwack - Chilliwack Progress
Gave him some cash chatted for a bit while i drank my juice and ate my cookie and went on my way.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #643
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Apparently it's an actual thing in Italy, but the spare coffees were usually held for a person down on their luck. Also someone added the above event onto the wiki. Caffè sospeso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RicePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #644
I STILL don't get it

Paid for an couple's lunch. But the waitress just had to tell her even though I told her not to.
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #645
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

You know...I say go with it.

If it looks and feels like a scam, then tell them to get lost, but if it feels somewhat genuine, then you maybe just helped someone out.

If their big haul was that they got $5 from me one day, well, the fact that you are a shithead is on you, not me.

If that doesn't feel right, the only other answer to all these situations is, "I will give you food/ticket/gas/drive, but I will not give you cash. Anyone truly in this situation in need will say yes, and then say thank you. Your move."

You'll sort out the crap real quick.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #646
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
this was a while back,

during work took a call from a elder lady who called in and wanted to change her shaw account name from her husband's name to hers but keep her husbands last name

turns out her husband passed away couple days prior, you can hear her tearing up over the phone

after i made the change, i thought id send her a card to her new address as she was also moving to a new location
told my supervisor about it, and got approval to credit her a month of services

about 2 months later, i received an email from a coworker to ask for my extension (i work PT so im not always in the office)
and to my surprise this same old lady has been trying to call me back to personally say thank you for the card + 1 free month

it wasn't much, but seeing her being so happy over the phone was a pretty good feeling

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #647
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Random acts of kindness: your stories - National | Globalnews.ca

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #648
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
“When my husband and I were first married, we wanted to buy a house but couldn’t afford the down payment. The man selling it told us we could just pay rent if we wanted for the first year. After the first year, he gifted all the rent money we paid back to us to use as a down payment for the house! He said someone had helped him and his wife when they started it and all he asked was that one day we help out a couple just starting out as well. We were stunned. What a generous gesture. Will never forget him.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #649
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Just taken from NWS and so deserves to be in here

murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #650
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Was grabbing a quick snack with my gf at Wendy's and witnessed this guy purchase a meal for this homeless guy who came in to pan handle.
He approached the first table closest to the door which was that guy and he said he was hungry and wanted money for food. Instead of giving him money, he offered to buy him a meal instead. He told the homeless man to get whatever he wanted. Nice deed.
After seeing that, that same night when I was grabbing a late night coffee with friends, I bought a bagel and coffee for a homeless guy who asked me for change.

I'm against giving away money and questioning myself whether or not they are using the money to buy drugs, I rather put some food in their belly. Usually they won't refuse that lol
Posted via RS Mobile
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote