REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #526
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Thanks, PJ.

I've been there too, I think the majority of people have at some point. I know from experience there's not a more disheartening or dehumanizing experience than feeling alone in a crowd, and how it wears on you mentally in a fundamental way.

I once bought lunch for myself and a homeless man, and sat down to eat it with him. As hungry as he was, I got the feeling the conversation meant infinitely more. Humans need interaction with other humans, it's as much a necessity to mental health as food and water is to physical health.
wow if I could thank you many times over I would; you're such an amazing person
Advertisement
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #527
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
wow if I could thank you many times over I would; you're such an amazing person
Thanks, Saucy.

I'm not amazing at all though.

I've not done anything others have not at least considered, and it's human nature to cautiously hesitate and not always follow through with those thoughts. I've just learned to push through that uncertainty, because its almost exclusively unfounded.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #528
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Thanks, Saucy.

I'm not amazing at all though.

I've not done anything others have not at least considered, and it's human nature to cautiously hesitate and not always follow through with those thoughts. I've just learned to push through that uncertainty, because its almost exclusively unfounded.
Truth.

I'll admit, there have been so many times where I had a chance to help someone or speak up, but didn't.

The past year and half has been really fucked up for me. And it made me see people and life in general from a whole new perspective. I challenged myself to be a better person overall, and these "daily good deeds" are just a part of that.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #529
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I feel a group hug coming on...

At this point, please refer to the first quote in my signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #530
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
reading this thread really brings a smile to my face, maybe even a tear. glad to know there are still some great people out there!
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #531
I am Hook'd on RS

this is probably one of my favourite threads on rs to which i've read every post on here. big pat on the back for all of you in here!

i'm a heavy transit user cause i skytrain to work m-f so whenever i see the elderly (or people with lots to carry) i always give them my seat despite how tired/sleepy i am before/after work. there was once a pretty pregnant lady (probably 8 months in) got on the canada line and NO ONE offered her a seat so after a few minutes i got up and waved to her to come and take my seat...

once a bus driver actually stopped and got out of the seat to try and get an old lady to sit down because he was afraid she might fall over from holding onto the railing.. she didn't understand and i felt compelled to help so i translated what the bus driver said. she replied that she's afraid she'll miss her stop (this around 6pm) so i asked her what stop she's getting off at and it was actually a stop before mine so i offered to let her know when that stop was.. she thanked me and i helped her sit down and off we went.. such a cute old lady =)

my dad had to come pick me up from the bus stop in the morning and drop me off at the skytrain station because the buses were behind schedule due to the heavy snow. so when he swung by i asked the other commuters who were all trying to get to work if anyone was heading to the station i was going, a couple of people gladly jumped in and thank my dad and i after he dropped us off.

i'd also like to thank the asian lady who offered me comfort while i watched my grandfather pass away.. she's a Christian volunteer and was there to talk to my grandfather even though he was too sick to reply and pray for him. during the last few hours of his life i felt so helpless holding his hand knowing that he's dying. when the nurse failed to revive him after he stopped breathing, i broke down and cried like a madwoman (i rarely cry) and she held onto me while i bawled. we were complete strangers but i really needed someone to hug me at that moment and she was there by chance.
lady_mapetite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #532
Not a mod

When I'm taking transit, I always offer my seat to the elderly and pregnant women. I don't do this out of courtesy or kindness but because I'm human. It pisses me off when there able bodied people sitting down pretending not to see the old lady standing in front of them.
Posted via RS Mobile
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #533
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
^I think it's also important to reserve judgment when you see people not doing "kind things" you think they should be doing.

I had a friend who was suffering from a rare condition and would get very dizzy and lightheaded with motion, but she had to take the bus to/from school. She told me more than once people would give her dirty looks and some would even tell her to stand up to give up her seat for someone visibly requiring the seat. Can also apply to thinner women who are early on in their pregnancy, etc etc, who look able-bodied, but really aren't.

Doing good deeds and acts of kindness are important, but I think it's also just as important to focus more on what you can/should be doing, rather to what others should do.

Just my two cents. But, yes, there are obviously selfish people who pretend to sleep and such just because they don't want to stand up, I know.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #534
kb
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

This isn't a random act of kindness, but it's an old video I have bookmarked that I watch from time to time to remind myself of what is important in life.

Just thought I would share it in this thread, since this thread does a great job of reminding me too.

We could all learn something from this guy. [VIDEO]
kb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #535
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Not really an act of kindness per say, but I was at Wendy's the other night with a friend and just as I was walking past the garbage can (and an elderly couple) heading back to my table, the older man spilled the contents of the tray he was trying to put it in the garbage. Normally I would have just kept walking, but he looked like he was having trouble bending over so I stopped to help him pick up the garbage. Everyone was looking at him and a young couple sitting close to the garbage were sort of snickering at him. Him and his wife thanked me for helping him and he quipped that the garbage door was too fast for him lol. Like I said, not really an act of kindness but I felt good for helping him afterward The young couple gave me weird looks for a while though... that was awkward =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb View Post
This isn't a random act of kindness, but it's an old video I have bookmarked that I watch from time to time to remind myself of what is important in life.

Just thought I would share it in this thread, since this thread does a great job of reminding me too.

We could all learn something from this guy.

Nothing random about what this guy does - this is deliberate, pre-meditated, serial kindness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
Like I said, not really an act of kindness but I felt good for helping him afterward The young couple gave me weird looks for a while though... that was awkward =/
Shoulda given them a dirty look back :P
Quote:
Old 12-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #537
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Can also apply to thinner women who are early on in their pregnancy, etc etc, who look able-bodied, but really aren't.
funny i had this conversation with my coworker about giving up seats to pregnant women. she said unless it's really obvious that she's pregnant, she'll usually stay put because she had a lady who got offended that she gave her the seat thinking she was with child. the other day i was torn at giving up my seat to a lady who i suspect was pregnant but couldn't really be sure with the heavy coat so i kept eyeing her stomach and she noticed my eyeing and said "no".. i was so embarrassed... >.<

i picked up a grocery bag that the lady in front of me dropped and gave it back to her today in save on foods. originally i thought she would've noticed cause well.. she literally stepped on the fabric bag (lol) but she just kept on walking so i called out to her.
lady_mapetite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #538
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Shoulda given them a dirty look back :P
I make it a point that whenever someone does that, I stare at them until they mind their own fucking business. Not in a mean or intimidating way...just straight up staring at them in the eyes. Chinese people do this shit all the time...just stare at you for no apparent reason.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #539

Not something I did, but brightened my evening!

Was at a small pub/restaurant type thing, and 4 dudes were watching football, and they were kinda loud. Their team scored a touchdown and one guy yells FUCK YEAH!, not noticing there was a family behind them with 2 little children. The parents didn't look very impressed.

A few moments later, the guy that yelled went up to the cashier, and said "I think I offended the family behind me a few minutes ago, and I'd like to order them a round of milkshakes." The manager smiled and said he'd give him 50% off or something, and the guy delivered 4 milkshakes himself to the table and apologized for his behaviour.

Was a small incident, but I thought it was awesome
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #540
I don't get it

During the summer, i saw a lady in a handicap scooter stalled on the sidewalk. Behind her, was a skinny young lady trying to push this rather large lady down the sidewalk. As I approached them i noticed that they really weren't going too fast or far from the pushing.

Immediately i asked them if they needed help and asked where they were going. It was probably only a block but i figured i couldn't just walk past them and ignore a "neighbor". Let's just say after 15 minutes of pushing, it was probably one of the best workouts i've had in awhile cause i was sweating buckets. If i had to guess, i was probably pushing around 300+ pounds of woman and wheelchair.
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #541
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Not something I did, but brightened my evening!

Was at a small pub/restaurant type thing, and 4 dudes were watching football, and they were kinda loud. Their team scored a touchdown and one guy yells FUCK YEAH!, not noticing there was a family behind them with 2 little children. The parents didn't look very impressed.

A few moments later, the guy that yelled went up to the cashier, and said "I think I offended the family behind me a few minutes ago, and I'd like to order them a round of milkshakes." The manager smiled and said he'd give him 50% off or something, and the guy delivered 4 milkshakes himself to the table and apologized for his behaviour.

Was a small incident, but I thought it was awesome
LOL so pub or restaurant? Because if pub...

Really cool of him...because he really didn't have to. Swearing is perfectly acceptable behaviour when watching sports at the pub. It's the parents that shouldn't have brought their children to a place where men watch sports, fart and say the f-word.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #542

It wasn't a pub. Not really sure how to describe.

It was Cannibal Cafe on Commercial Dr. Burger joint type, but they had a bar with beers on tap and big screens lol

It was definitely nice of him. Hence the post in this thread lol
Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #543

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
I commute to class from White Rock to UBC m-f so I have to transfer buses at Richmond. I prefer sitting as close to the front as possible in the bus, an old habit formed in my childhood years when I would get sick easily sitting in the back.

Sitting in the front, I always look at the people getting on the bus when it stops, and if I happen to be sitting in one of the priority seats, I get up as soon as I see an elderly/pregnant/disabled person in line.

If I'm not sitting in a priority seat, I wait until the individual gets on the bus, and if no one stands up in the priority seating area who isn't elderly/pregnant/disabled, then I let the individual take my seat if there are no other seats.

I thought this is common transit etiquette. Can't seem to comprehend why people would ignore the priority seating signs.
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #544

Quote:
It wasn't a pub. Not really sure how to describe.

It was Cannibal Cafe on Commercial Dr. Burger joint type, but they had a bar with beers on tap and big screens lol

It was definitely nice of him. Hence the post in this thread lol
Fox and Hound in Maple Ridge is like this - mostly a pub, but has a small "family restaurant" section in one corner.

Or... think of any Boston Pizza, where they have a semi-separate, no-kids-allowed pub section.
Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #545
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Not local but still good to know there are kind generous ppl out there

Quote:
Winnipeg's residents are at it again.

According to Yahoo News, customers at a Tim Hortons coffee shop in Winnipeg started a chain of goodwill that ended up extending to 228 lucky residents on Friday.

"One generous customer at the restaurant on Beaverhill Blvd. started a chain of customers paying for the person behind them that lasted about three hours," an employee told CBC News.

Troy Thompson, who manages the restaurant, told the news source that the energy among the staff and customers was infectious.

"They were calling out the numbers, 'We're at 162,' and they made a really big deal of it," he said. "I think that's what helped keep it going because nobody wanted to be the one who broke that streak."

Eventually, the streak of holiday cheer did end when a man opted to not to pay for the three coffees ordered by the person behind him, despite the fact that his own coffees had been paid for, reported Yahoo News.
Pay-It-Forward Chain In Winnipeg Lasts For 3 Hours

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #546
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF22 View Post
Not local but still good to know there are kind generous ppl out there

Pay-It-Forward Chain In Winnipeg Lasts For 3 Hours
is that chain really anything special?

in reality one person paid for the grumpy git who didn't pay for the 3 coffees behind him (appreciating that not everyone paid exactly for what was ordered)

i also think the 'atmosphere' made people do it - you don't want to be 'that guy' that ended it (well, clearly one guy did) - media, as per usual, blowing things out of proportion

i'd rather those 200 odd ppl had ordered an extra sandwich and then gone and given them to the homeless, or perhaps given $5 extra to the foodbank

i'm not trying to shit on anyone's parade, but the media is trying to make these ppl look like great, generous people, when really, the first person was the good one, everyone else just came along for the ride, and that last guy, well... i hope he gets herpes
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #547
I STILL don't get it

I was at pacific centre when I saw a couple stop by the new compass gates.. and they were trying to scan their transit passes on it. Now that I think back on it, cant believe so many people just walked by them or were pointing and laughing. Im sure ive done stupid things out travelling or in any foreign places. I stopped nearby and told them that there was no need for that system yet and to keep it as proof if an officer checks. I had to joke that canada is slow on things like this to hopefully dull the embarrassment..

As a recipient, back in the summer I was on the grouse grind. I am half dying by the time I reach the top and I open my hipsack for my phone.... to find no phone. I must have dropped it getting the water bottle.
I was panicking because ive never lost a phone before and feeling so stupid..
I went to the lost and found to ask.. with no hopes.
And behold they had it! Albeit a little dirty but whatever.

I was incredibly happy....... until I realized whoever returned it beat me on the mountain. LOL
You win some lose some hehe
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by kitsune; 01-03-2013 at 10:13 AM.
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #548
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Wow this thread has been dead for a bit now.

Today i go to school, saw a Ninja 250 there and thought to myself that it was weird someone was riding in this relatively cold weather. Next thing you know the bike got knocked down, broke turn signals, mirror, handlebars, and gas was leaking out of it. I think and remember a silver SUV parked in front of it. Waited for the guy to come out, got his number and told him i'd look in my dashcam if i might have gotten the plate. Luckily my half broken 40 dollar dashcam still got the silver Mercedes ML plate. Gave it to the guy and wished him best of luck with ICBC.

Not too much work but still kind of a good deed done.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #549

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
^^^ fuuuuuu,the nerve of some people....hit & run much.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #550
I don't get it

Saw a lady ding a 328's fender with her door in the lot and told her to leave a note since she was about to leave. Also left a note and a number
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote