REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

Hehe 02-28-2024 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9127622)
hehe can come take a poop next to that sign, put the O in Nanaimo

If they'd build a proper toilet right there, sign me up bro. I'd pay my own ferry to be there. It's an honor for such a public service.

N.V.M. 02-29-2024 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 9127630)
The Nanaimo one looks great, and I know it's a stupidly minor thing, but it irks me that the bottom wedge in the O is narrower than all the others.

many look differently sized.

whitev70r 02-29-2024 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 9127725)
If they'd build a proper toilet right there, sign me up bro. I'd pay my own ferry to be there. It's an honor for such a public service.

Manic! would easily beat you there before the ferry arrives.

HonestTea 02-29-2024 12:50 PM

This is pretty fucked up.

Quote:

Mom alleges injury at unsanctioned B.C. martial arts tournament put son in vegetative state | CBC News

A UBC international grad student faces an uncertain future after months in a vegetative state. His mother has filed a lawsuit alleging an improperly run martial arts tournament is to blame for his condition.
Police confirm investigation into what happened at 2023 Western Canadian Martial Arts Championship

A woman stands next to a young man in a wheelchair. She holds a photo of him before he was in a vegetative state.
Zhenhuan Lei sits in a wheelchair at Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster as his mother, Ying Li, holds a photo of her son before his hospitalization. Li has filed a lawsuit alleging people and groups connected to an October 2023 martial arts tournament are responsible for an injury that led to her son's vegetative state. (Liam Britten/CBC)

Zhenhuan Lei had dreams of becoming a scientist, his mother said. He'd even conduct experiments late into the night. He once told her "life only affords a few chances."

But now Lei, a 26-year-old University of British Columbia chemistry grad student, is in a vegetative state and doctors say it is unlikely his condition will improve.

In a statement translated from Chinese and provided by her lawyer, Lei's mother Ying Li wrote she feels "as if I have experienced a death."

"A promising life of a future scientist, an ambitious young man, has now turned into lying in a hospital bed every day and staring at the ceiling," the statement read.

A man lies unconscious in a hospital bed with tubes connecting him to medical machinery.
Zhenhuan Lei spent months in hospital before being flown back to China this week. Doctors have said it is unlikely he will recover. (Ying Li)

Li lays blame for her son's state at the feet of a number of people and groups involved with the Western Canadian Martial Arts Championship (WCMAC), which took place in October 2023.

In a lawsuit filed earlier this month, Li alleges organizers of the martial arts tournament failed to take steps to adequately protect fighters like her son.

She alleges the tournament referees and first aid attendant were unqualified and failed to keep him safe.

She also alleges the World Kickboxing and Karate Union Canada (WKUC) had no standing to sanction the event as B.C. law requires, making the event legally unsanctioned. And Simon Fraser University, the site of the tournament, did not ensure their facility was being used appropriately, the lawsuit alleges.

A man stands on the grounds of UBC smiling at the camera.
An undated photo of Zhenhuan Lei prior to his accident. Lei was a chemistry grad student at the University of British Columbia. (Ying Li)

The allegations have not yet been tested in court. No statements of defence have been filed.

Burnaby RCMP have confirmed they are investigating but would offer no further details.

Li now holds a committeeship — which allows someone to make decisions on behalf of a vulnerable person — to manage her son's affairs. She is seeking damages including the costs of her son's past and future care.

Her lawyer, Erik Magraken, says the lawsuit is seeking accountability and answers about tournament matchmaking, rules enforcement and medical response.

"We're hoping to get answers to all of those questions," Magraken said.
'Very little likelihood' of improvement

In her statement of claim, Li alleges her son fought three bouts at the October 2023 tournament at SFU.

The lawsuit says he was competing in an event called "continuous kick light." Li's lawsuit claims that, in fact, Lei was in a kickboxing tournament. Video of one of Lei's bouts shows him and his opponent wearing boxing headgear, shin guards and gloves.

The event, according to the claim, was advertised as having "light" and "controlled" contact, and athletes with prior pro fighting experience were forbidden from entering.

Two men fight in a martial arts competition in a gym while spectators gather around to watch.
Zhenhuan Lei appears in a still from a YouTube video showing one of his fights at the 2023 Western Canadian Martial Arts Tournament. Lei is at left, the fighter with yellow trim and black-and-white headgear. The bout shown here is not the one that the lawsuit alleges included an ineligible opponent. The lawsuit does not allege any wrongdoing by this opponent, at right with the black and white shirt. The faces of spectators have been blurred. (Celly Entertainment/YouTube)

However, one of Lei's opponents allegedly had competed in Thailand in "what would be classified as a professional bout in British Columbia," and organizers did not stop him from taking part in the tournament.

That opponent allegedly struck Lei multiple times beyond the force allowed and referees failed to enforce the rules. The lawsuit accuses him of battering Lei. It also claims Lei displayed "signs of injury" yet organizers and promoters did not review his condition, and he was allowed to fight again.

After his final match, according to the statement, Lei showed signs of "profound" injury.

"He vomited multiple times," Li's statement reads. "He fell in and out of consciousness."

The statement of claim alleges proper medical care was not ready at the scene. It alleges organizers didn't call an ambulance quickly or communicate with the emergency dispatcher effectively and it took paramedics 90 minutes to arrive.

B.C. martial artists fight to reduce concussion risk for combat athletes

Lei allegedly suffered an acute subdural hematoma, a type of brain bleeding.

"Every passing minute was critical in treating this condition," Li's statement said.

Identical sworn affidavits from two doctors at Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster assert "there is very little likelihood that the condition of Zhenhuan Lei will improve or that he will be able to care for himself in the future."
Defendants offer little comment

The statement of claim alleges tournament organizers tried to skirt provincial safety rules for kickboxing events as a cost-cutting measure by calling the event "continuous kick light." But it was, in fact, a kickboxing competition, the claim alleges, so the WKUC was not legally able to sanction the event.

The World Kickboxing and Karate Union Canada and several people named as operators of that organization did not respond to CBC News requests for comment.

In Depth
Brain Trust: How B.C.'s sports organizations are facing the concussion epidemic

A person named as an organizer of the Western Canadian Martial Arts Championship wrote in an email, speaking on background, "Our hearts go out to this young man and his family and understandably, as this is now a judicial matter, we are unable to comment."

SFU says it is "assessing next steps but cannot comment further as this matter is before the courts."

B.C. to regulate professional mixed martial arts

Li spent four months in Canada with her son in hospital. They flew home to China on a medical flight Sunday. An online fundraiser has been launched to help cover what are described as onerous medical costs, including their flight.

"Now, I have to embark on another journey, caring for him in the latter part of his life," she wrote.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tate-1.7128425

inv4zn 02-29-2024 03:52 PM

For those who tl;dr
- Young guy enters an amateur kickboxing tournament
- Organizers called it 'continuous kick light', allegedly to skirt rules around sanctioned tournaments
- Organizers fail to uphold policy barring people with professional expertise from entering
- Young guy gets beat up severely, gets brain bleed
- Inadequate medical care on site, ambulance takes 90 minutes to show up
- Young guy is essentially brain dead, two doctors say he will not recover
- Mother sues everyone

Pretty fucked up indeed.

SkinnyPupp 02-29-2024 04:13 PM

On one hand if it was unsanctioned she has a good case that negligence caused his condition

On the other, when it comes to MMA, kids should just be fans and leave it at that

Badhobz 02-29-2024 04:29 PM

The kid's lawyer is pretty good. That Erik Magracken guy helped out a few of my co workers when they got rear-ended and the dude's a helluva personal injury lawyer.

nismodrifter 02-29-2024 04:42 PM

Recommend a company to deep clean carpet of 1 bedroom condo? I Vancouver. Tenant left spots which look like makeup or something. Need to get it cleaned asap and deduct from. Damage deposit.

Hondaracer 02-29-2024 05:03 PM

If you get kicked in the head a bunch of times I kinda doubt the response time of the first responders really makes a difference. The brain bleed etc. wouldn’t have been detected unless he was getting scans done immediately after.

spoon.ek9 02-29-2024 05:39 PM

brain bleeds are serious... i've seen some sad cases in emerg where young-ish patients don't survive. there was one case where the doctor said that unfortunately, the best outcome for the patient was to pass away.

Hondaracer 02-29-2024 05:51 PM

Being bed bound or paralyzed fuck most people would rather be dead. In a vegetative state fuck like he probably wishes he had died for his families sake if he can even formulate that thought anymore

MG1 02-29-2024 06:16 PM

On a lighter note, I cracked open a can of Coca Cola Spiced. First sip, I nearly spewed it out. Tasted like medicine. Second sip............ not bad. The more I tasted it, the more I started to like it. Weird. Just weird, but wAnderful.

$3.33 for 6 small cans on sale at Superstore.

Klondike 02-29-2024 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 9127893)
On a lighter note, I cracked open a can of Coca Cola Spiced. First sip, I nearly spewed it out. Tasted like medicine. Second sip............ not bad. The more I tasted it, the more I started to like it. Weird. Just weird, but wAnderful.

$3.33 for 6 small cans on sale at Superstore.

I miss ginger pepsi. I'll definitely give this a shot.

donk. 02-29-2024 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nismodrifter (Post 9127880)
Recommend a company to deep clean carpet of 1 bedroom condo? I Vancouver. Tenant left spots which look like makeup or something. Need to get it cleaned asap and deduct from. Damage deposit.

I used aero carpet services, they picked up and dropped off a thick ass rug, i left it outside my door, never even saw a staff member, amazing service. They probably do unit cleaning as well.

Other option is DIY that rug doctor stuff at home depot

Badhobz 02-29-2024 07:58 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/DyzCJW4g/IMG-5548.jpg
So I took the ratrolla in for service today and there was a ratrolla coupe in at the same time. It was driven by this young Chinese girl. She saw my car and we started talking.

You know what’s crazy ? She didn’t even know it’s a v8. She bought it because she thought it was pretty. She’s only driven it in automatic and thus never heard the engine roar. I took her and her car for a more spirited drive and she was blown away. She’s like I didn’t know it could do this ! Her car has like 40,000kms on it. It’s a 2020

Who buys a car like this and don’t know jack shit ?!

Chinese women are insane. Stay away from them.

Hondaracer 02-29-2024 08:15 PM

RIP to the girl now that she’s found the pedal

Gumby 02-29-2024 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9127912)
So I took the ratrolla in for service today and there was a ratrolla coupe in at the same time. It was driven by this young Chinese girl. She saw my car and we started talking.

You know what’s crazy ? She didn’t even know it’s a v8. She bought it because she thought it was pretty. She’s only driven it in automatic and thus never heard the engine roar. I took her and her car for a more spirited drive and she was blown away. She’s like I didn’t know it could do this ! Her car has like 40,000kms on it. It’s a 2020

She was blown away by your "driving"...

nismodrifter 02-29-2024 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donk. (Post 9127906)
I used aero carpet services, they picked up and dropped off a thick ass rug, i left it outside my door, never even saw a staff member, amazing service. They probably do unit cleaning as well.

Other option is DIY that rug doctor stuff at home depot

I have a carpet shampoo machine of my own. I doubt it will touch the stain thst is on the carpet. Thanks for the recommendation.

Badhobz 02-29-2024 08:26 PM

It’s cuz in regular automatic mode, the damn thing will never let you go past 3k rpm as it has 10 gears (unless you stand on the pedal). So in all these years she’s never put it in manual and never used the paddle shifters.

What a weirdo

whitev70r 02-29-2024 08:29 PM

pics of said young Chinese girl or it didn't happen.

Badhobz 02-29-2024 08:34 PM

She offered me her WeChat but I don’t even have WeChat. Sad… I’m so out of it nowadays that I’m oblivious to the signs

Traum 02-29-2024 08:41 PM

At least you took her WeChat ID down, right?

It's not too late!

SkinnyPupp 02-29-2024 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9127912)

What watch were you wearing? Need to know what my next replica will be

Badhobz 02-29-2024 09:04 PM

Apple Watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 9127928)
At least you took her WeChat ID down, right?

It's not too late!

No….. I’m a fucking idiot

whitev70r 02-29-2024 09:21 PM

Slip the service technician a $50 and ask him for her contact info.