REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

Mikoyan 03-19-2024 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 9129577)
Thank you sir.

I don't know the full details of his situation, as he was quite frantic explaining the situation to me. Something to do with the mortgage, and taking out some money from the bare trust, or something along those lines. The form for the return is quite complicated as he says, but coincidentally, there was an article in The Globe & Mail by Rob Carrick who talks about the Bare Trust complexities, and that it can be simple, if your situation is simple (like in your example) but can get complicated depending on the situation.

In the end, I threw in the towel and told him to see a professional accountant.

Even the experts are asking CRA "wtf??" CRA is not fining anyone this year because no one was ready.

We checked with our accountant, and simple bare trusts like a bank account for your kids, you don't have to report if meets some basic conditions. Like it's all simple stuff like cash only and under $50k you don't need to report. Unless you had over $50k in Red Envelope money and deposited it. You're fucked.

But yeah, you should ask your own accountant for advice as there's more specific exemptions.

spoon.ek9 03-20-2024 07:05 AM

am I really the outlier here? lol

I enjoy getting the bulk of my stuff from Superstore. Granted, when it comes to veggies and fruits, I usually go to T&T/Osaka etc. But when it comes to the basic necessities I keep at home, it's usually cheapest to get it all from Superstore. I will occasionally go to Walmart if I find they offer something I need for significantly less. For example, potatoes were $2.49/lb at Superstore vs $0.99/lb at Walmart. Ridiculous difference in price for the exact same product.

Anytime I go to independent or smaller places like Freshco for example, I feel like it's all worse quality, off brand shit that I have no interest in buying. There's also factoring in how much time I invest in going around to places just to save a buck or two. I value my time more than the savings. I absolutely refuse to buy things from Safeway/Save-On because they are so much more expensive than Superstore for a lot of the same products. They're also all further away from my home.

unit 03-20-2024 07:35 AM

superstore is the biggest ripoff when it comes to produce. loose onions and potatoes are criminally priced. if you buy it by the bag it's not bad, but $2.49/lb for an onion is just insulting.

EvoFire 03-20-2024 08:44 AM

We do go to Superstore a lot, but we also shop a few other places to make up our weekly groceries.

Dry goods typically I get from Superstore, their prices are hard to beat. Definitely the lineups are annoying, and they aren't always well stocked.

Produce I get from Crystal Mall, cause I am a C lai that way. Fresh produce and pork are usually from CM.

Very Asian specific things and seafood I would get from T&T. Superstore just doesn't carry the variety and selection I want. Also supplementing produce that I can't get from CM. T&T carries more variety but typically for a higher price if it's not a sale item.

I've been buying less produce from Costco than before because we just can't finish it. Too much waste. Costco is mainly for diapers when they are on sale, cat food, children's books, and other misc packaged goods. We still spend enough to make Executive membership every year.

Eff-1 03-20-2024 11:27 AM

A lot of people get their stuff at superstore because of the pricing, and I get it. Can't fault anyone for that. I just always tend to walk out of there more angry than I walked in, and that's why I can't deal.

68style 03-20-2024 11:32 AM

Richmond doesn't have good options save for the veggie and fruit place at 5 and Westminster, sometimes I go there... but I agree with Eff-1, even though I'm a regular at Superstore... I find every time I go there I get angry, but it's hard to justify going to like 3 places for things when almost everything is there every time.

The ramp in and out of the Richmond one alone is enough to induce violence in a person on a busy day, a true lesson in how complete oblivious most people are.

Great68 03-20-2024 11:58 AM

The first and only time I've ever shopped at Superstore here in Victoria was after my company gave out PC Gift Cards in lieu of our annual Christmas Party during COVID in 2020 & 2021.

Can concur, made me angry, the "savings" (which IMO were not spectacular) didn't outweigh the inconvenience in the special trip needed to get there (our only superstore is in Langford, on the south side of the highway), the shitty shopping experience, the horde of people and the shitty parking lot.

Also, fuck loblaws and the westons.

I like Country Grocer, local island owned, close to my house, better prices than both Save-On and Thriftys.

Badhobz 03-20-2024 12:16 PM

1 dollar blizzards at DQ till the 31st.

I got a strawberry cheesecake without the strawberry sauce. The old lady said in the 16 years she worked at the DQ, nobody’s ever asked for that

Traum 03-20-2024 12:42 PM

Why do I feel like I'm the only one on RS that shops at Superstore, Safeway, Save-On-Foods, T&T, PriceSmart, and Crystal Mall LOL~? In Metrotown, they are all within 5 - 10 min walking distance of each other anyway.

This is why I paid for a CoV postal code, dammit lol~

EvoFire 03-20-2024 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9129777)
1 dollar blizzards at DQ till the 31st.

I got a strawberry cheesecake without the strawberry sauce. The old lady said in the 16 years she worked at the DQ, nobody’s ever asked for that

Been infected with spy balloon weirdness

EvoFire 03-20-2024 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 9129785)
Why do I feel like I'm the only one on RS that shops at Superstore, Safeway, Save-On-Foods, T&T, PriceSmart, and Crystal Mall LOL~? In Metrotown, they are all within 5 - 10 min walking distance of each other anyway.

I'm close, I leave out Pricesmart and Safeway because I am cheap. I have to drive there anyways it's not like it's walking distance for me.

Hondaracer 03-20-2024 12:52 PM

Quote:

“This is why I paid for CoV Postal code”

Shops exclusively east of Boundary? :concentrate: lol

Presto 03-20-2024 12:56 PM

Quote:

We are very fortunate to have so many options in Langley. I prefer Save-Ons because I know the layout, and can blitz the shopping list. We stock-up on their meat-deals to meal-prep stuff to put in the freezer. We try to avoid their produce because it's overpriced. Fortunately, there's Willow Produce, H-Mart, Hannam, T&T, etc... for options.

Great68 03-20-2024 03:07 PM

Quote:

? In Metrotown, they are all within 5 - 10 min walking distance of each other anyway.

I mean, that's obviously key. If superstore was a 5 minute walk from my house, I probably would do most of my shopping there, despite how shitty the shopping experience is lol.

GLOW 03-20-2024 03:13 PM

Quote:

you're not alone, don't forget 88 market, and when in a pinch, champlain mall independent

i have to admit 88 market & safeway are my go to just b/c of convenience.
i swear the dude in the 88 market sushi/banh mi kitchen knows me from going there weekly :lol :okay:

EvoFire 03-20-2024 03:57 PM

I hate going to 88 because of the shitty parking situation there. They are also not cheap

68style 03-20-2024 04:05 PM

But so lucky

GLOW 03-20-2024 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9129822)
But so lucky

ya lucky you don't get hit & run or step on spit :lawl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoFire (Post 9129821)
I hate going to 88 because of the shitty parking situation there. They are also not cheap

don't forget the old asian farts congregating & drinking coffee/heavily smoking/ spitting by the no smoking signs in front of doors to the businesses :lol

Traum 03-20-2024 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoFire (Post 9129821)

You don't park at the 88 parking lot. It's a frickin zoo, and the spots are pretty narrow. Look for street parking elsewhere -- there is usually something along Elliot.

But I usually like their meat -- both for price and quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 9129824)
don't forget the old asian farts congregating & drinking coffee/heavily smoking/ spitting by the no smoking signs in front of doors to the businesses :lol

My favourite is when the smoking uncles are all doing it near the air pump at the Chevron station. I always wonder how close (to the gas pumps) they'd need to get before some sort of explosion / fire happens :lawl:

winson604 03-20-2024 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 9129829)
You don't park at the 88 parking lot. It's a frickin zoo, and the spots are pretty narrow. Look for street parking elsewhere -- there is usually something along Elliot.

But I usually like their meat -- both for price and quality.

My favourite is when the smoking uncles are all doing it near the air pump at the Chevron station. I always wonder how close (to the gas pumps) they'd need to get before some sort of explosion / fire happens :lawl:

I only go to 88 if I literally need a couple things but mostly fruits is what I'll buy I don't usually touch their meat. I think 88 is the first supermarket I've ever seen that sells ungraded beef lol so it's a guessing game what you'll get!

Mikoyan 03-20-2024 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 9129845)
I only go to 88 if I literally need a couple things but mostly fruits is what I'll buy I don't usually touch their meat. I think 88 is the first supermarket I've ever seen that sells ungraded beef lol so it's a guessing game what you'll get!

Ungraded meat was a continuation from the time they were Killarney Market. I generally don't get meat there unless I'm in a time crunch but as everyone here is saying convenience is key. I'm within walking distance so it's quick to grab something in a pinch. If indo have to drive I'll park on the street, and avoid walking in front of the starbucks to save my lungs from the cig smoke.

yray 03-20-2024 10:15 PM

y'all don't get asian groceries delivered? :suspicious:

$60min spend and gets delivered to my north shore front door :lawl:

snowball 03-20-2024 10:51 PM

Quote:

I know everyone on reddit complains about loblaws price gouging, but are they not literally the cheapest place for most stuff (on sale)? I swear my local chinese market is hella expensive and all the other retail ones are 25% more for most items.

GS8 03-21-2024 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 9129443)
The story I used to hear -- like 15+ years ago -- was that at least Safeway and Save-On-Foods paid decent wages, whereas Superstore was just paying min wage. I knew for a fact that at one point, Safeway employees were really earning quite a decent wage. So potentially because of that, people don't shxt on Sobeys nearly as much? (And Overwaitea is "just" a regional player.)

Decades ago, Safeway employees were earning more than University professors and had all sorts of nice benefits such as birthdays off with pay. Not to mention the stores were fully staffed. The company model focused on service as priority. The prices were higher but, at the time, people would pay more for a better shopping experience.

Then along came Superstore which wasn't the bottom of the barrel but rather, it was the grime puddle the barrel sat on.

But to be fair, Superstore emphasized low prices in exchange for a shitty shopping experience. As the economic climate changed and basically got worse, Safeway and the other major stores had to change and follow Superstore's ways while trying to maintain their 'heritage'. It didn't go well. Save-On has been doing better lately, thanks to their marketing such as $1.49 days but they also absorbed a lot of Sobey's locations (Safeway & Thrifty alike) which did not seem to phase the competition bureau, fucking Jimmy.

Traditionally, all grocery stores would be closed on days like Boxing Day, New Year's day etc. but I remember Superstore being the first one to open up those days. Every other grocery player opened up the following year.

I still shop at Safeway but mostly because it's in walking distance from me so I go late at night and can get out quickly.

Superstore, like Walmart, is one of those companies that would permanently lower the bar for quality and contribute to that 'race-to-the-bottom' methodology in the name of 'saving money'.

I worked as Supervisors in both Safeway & Thrifty Foods but exited that industry almost 10 years ago. I witnessed the transitions from pretty decent companies to toxic hellholes. I'll never look back at retail with a smile...

6793026 03-21-2024 05:17 AM

Being in Richmond, on just #3 road, you got superstore, 3 T&T; langford market, Price Smart, Foody World, Costco. Then you got Public Market and the asian market across the street.

I really can't complain at all. That's a lot of option on just a 5 km distance