REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

westopher 03-11-2024 11:48 AM

Lol was that written by a 9 year old or a Jalopnik writer?

EvoFire 03-11-2024 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 9128860)
This story has me really worried. My car is also a manual and the same color except mine is a V10.
https://www.theautopian.com/how-one-...r-his-audi-r8/

Have you gotten your frame checked? 1st gen R8 is also known for frame cracking as well. I thought the V8 would have been relatively reliable as it's in quite a lot of cars, don't think melting a piston is a common issue.

The V10 on the other hand, it's reliable for an exotic engine, but I don't think they typically last more than 100 without some major work required.

Manic! 03-11-2024 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoFire (Post 9128897)
Have you gotten your frame checked? 1st gen R8 is also known for frame cracking as well. I thought the V8 would have been relatively reliable as it's in quite a lot of cars, don't think melting a piston is a common issue.

The V10 on the other hand, it's reliable for an exotic engine, but I don't think they typically last more than 100 without some major work required.

Oh shit.

Will be going in for a service in a few months.

Manic! 03-12-2024 04:14 PM

So I guess it's time to change the winter tires for summers?

bcuzracecarz 03-12-2024 10:49 PM

Yes. Insurance acquired today

EvoFire 03-13-2024 08:16 AM

It's gonna be 18C this week and I want to put my summers on. My son has been asking me when the winter wheels are coming off.

But then it drops quickly back down to 8C next week...

whitev70r 03-13-2024 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoFire (Post 9129075)
It's gonna be 18C this week and I want to put my summers on. My son has been asking me when the winter wheels are coming off.

But then it drops quickly back down to 8C next week...

I see double digit temps all next week bro. Maybe down to 9C on the weekend of Mar 22-23.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...mbia/vancouver

N.V.M. 03-13-2024 11:06 AM

that weather looks like my cue to go to Golftown and test those Ping 425 irons.

EvoFire 03-13-2024 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 9129084)
I see double digit temps all next week bro. Maybe down to 9C on the weekend of Mar 22-23.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...mbia/vancouver

I guess summers are going on. Watch it snow next weekend.

bcrdukes 03-13-2024 12:50 PM

Time to put the R-compounds on :troll:

Eff-1 03-13-2024 02:34 PM

I caught a scumbag sneaking into our building last night through the parking gate. He was on an electric scooter and rode past me while I was waiting in my car for the gate to close. Talk about brazen.

He went past and looked very suspicious so I followed him and he started swearing at me. I asked if he lived here and if he had keys. He said yes but coulldnt find them. So then he scurried out and I followed him out.

I immediately recognized him as the same guy who stole packages from the lobby a few months ago. Exact same guy. I remember his face from when I pulled the footage from our cameras at the time.

So I called 911 and followed him out but he rode through the park. By the time rcmp came he was long gone. The officer who talked to me was totally useless and apathetic.

I think we got lucky and hopefully avoided some thefts last night.

6793026 03-14-2024 06:57 AM

^ cops gets these call all the time and without evidence, and luck, catching him in the act. it's tough to enforce... good on you though.

Honestly, there's a fine line.. sometimes the guy would start swearing and last thign I want is them pulling up a knife and stuff..

Eff-1 03-14-2024 09:01 AM

Yes, my wife wasn't happy with me, and the cop lectured me.

I'm on the strata and we hand out fines all the time for people who don't wait at the gate. We've had enough break-ins where thousands of dollars of property and bikes have been stolen, so we take security seriously.

So when I saw the guy fly by me, my initial thought was hey that person didn't wait, and then when he started swearing back, I realized he was a sketchy dude so I backed off a bit, but still hung around him such that he couldn't actually steal anything without me watching. Then he got frustrated/mad and took off.

I've dealt with the RCMP here on quite a few occasions and honestly all of their members have been really good. The last time we had a break-in, they even came and took fingerprints. I was always impressed. This guy however gave zero fucks.

I guess I thought the fact that I was saying "there's a guy trespassing on our property and we recognize him as a guy who previously broke in and committed thefts, for which we have him in video doing" would have been more of a bigger deal for him but YMMV.

winson604 03-14-2024 09:05 AM

Tax return time!

Is there a way to figure out what your RRSP contribution limit number is without a Notice of Assessment from last year?

Long version of the story is my wifes CRA account for the 3rd year in a row got revoked. I'm sure some people on Revscene has experienced this nonsense, I know if you read online it's super common. Anyway its annoying as fuck because there's no way to access your account or even create a new one without calling the CRA. That's fine except trying to call them during this time typically results in hours and hours of being on hold. If you're lucky you may wait 1-2 hours and get them on the first try and if you're not you may be spending upwards of 15+ hours on hold over multiple days to try and get through. Personally I rather deal with this nonsense after tax season is over the only problem is I can't access her Notice of assessment and the only thing I need is her RRSP contribution limit. Is there an easy way to figure this out? What if I put a random number similar to her limit last year, file her taxes, deal with her account after, then once I get access get her real number and refile her return saying oops I put in the wrong number? For the record, she has not contributed anywhere remotely close to whatever her limit would be so definitely no chance of her being over.

Any help would be appreciated.

6793026 03-14-2024 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 9129213)
The last time we had a break-in, they even came and took fingerprints.

had cops come in and do prints and of course my mom was like "can't you go arrest them"... Cop bluntly said "no." Got ed-u-matcated on a) you watch too much CSI b) there ain't no database of everyone in the world c) he/she has to be caught in the act.

my mom learned quick how her knowledge is all untrue from TVB lol...and got ko-ed.

would never advise anyone doing this but if firearms were every identified, then things flip 180 with sirens and boat load of people coming.

Eff-1 03-14-2024 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 9129214)
Tax return time!

Is there a way to figure out what your RRSP contribution limit number is without a Notice of Assessment from last year?

Long version of the story is my wifes CRA account for the 3rd year in a row got revoked. I'm sure some people on Revscene has experienced this nonsense, I know if you read online it's super common. Anyway its annoying as fuck because there's no way to access your account or even create a new one without calling the CRA. That's fine except trying to call them during this time typically results in hours and hours of being on hold. If you're lucky you may wait 1-2 hours and get them on the first try and if you're not you may be spending upwards of 15+ hours on hold over multiple days to try and get through. Personally I rather deal with this nonsense after tax season is over the only problem is I can't access her Notice of assessment and the only thing I need is her RRSP contribution limit. Is there an easy way to figure this out? What if I put a random number similar to her limit last year, file her taxes, deal with her account after, then once I get access get her real number and refile her return saying oops I put in the wrong number? For the record, she has not contributed anywhere remotely close to whatever her limit would be so definitely no chance of her being over.

Any help would be appreciated.

The only ways I can think of are:

- Call CRA and push 2 for French, the wait might be shorter?

- Is there a CRA office in Vancouver you can visit in person? Waiting in line might be preferable than waiting on hold?

- Maybe an accountant has access to a database with those records and you can hire someone to get that info for you?

- Post this question on reddit under /personalfinancecanada. There are smart people there who will likely have some advice.

winson604 03-14-2024 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 9129222)
The only ways I can think of are:

- Call CRA and push 2 for French, the wait might be shorter?

- Is there a CRA office in Vancouver you can visit in person? Waiting in line might be preferable than waiting on hold?

- Maybe an accountant has access to a database with those records and you can hire someone to get that info for you?

- Post this question on reddit under /personalfinancecanada. There are smart people there who will likely have some advice.

Trying to wait online is one thing what make it extra harder is my wife does shift work and she's usually working during the hours they're open. Going in person is almost entirely out of the question too but yea I may need to ask some experts for some opinion the last couple years we got lucky because for reasons I forget I logged into her account way before the tax season and saw she couldn't access it so we managed to call them before tax season and didn't have to wait long at all but now that we're in the thick of things good luck.

whitev70r 03-14-2024 11:08 AM

Is there any particular reason why you need to know limit before filing your taxes? After all, putting some RRSP in for 2023 has passed (Feb 29th). Nothing will affect anything until you file and you'll get the number in your NOA. You indicated that she has lots of room. There is no real advantage of putting RRSP in today vs. after April when you get your return back.

Live with the ambiguity?

winson604 03-14-2024 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 9129226)
Is there any particular reason why you need to know limit before filing your taxes? After all, putting some RRSP in for 2023 has passed (Feb 29th). Nothing will affect anything until you file and you'll get the number in your NOA. You indicated that she has lots of room. There is no real advantage of putting RRSP in today vs. after April when you get your return back.

Live with the ambiguity?

The tax software forces you to put what your RRSP Contribution limit as stated on your 2023 Notice of assessment otherwise you can't file your taxes. I guess CRA needs to confirm you didn't over contribute. My wife only contributes like a couple hundred every months so I know it won't be an issue. Based on a couple quick conversations I had with a couple ex accountant friends it looks like I'm just going to lean on putting in a fake number and filing it. I'll just take her number from last years return and put something similar to that. Even if the number is wrong I doubt CRA would put up a stink because it would result in no advantage to my wife it isn't like I'm going to manipulate her return to get a much larger return or anything.

whitev70r 03-14-2024 01:08 PM

If you use same tax software and carry over from 2022 data, it should autofill that line.
At least mine did.

winson604 03-14-2024 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 9129241)
If you use same tax software and carry over from 2022 data, it should autofill that line.
At least mine did.

Mine didn't but ah wells think I'm just going to fill out whatever lol

bobbinka 03-14-2024 03:12 PM

you could manually calculate it using last year's #s?

PeanutButter 03-14-2024 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 9129235)
The tax software forces you to put what your RRSP Contribution limit as stated on your 2023 Notice of assessment otherwise you can't file your taxes. I guess CRA needs to confirm you didn't over contribute. My wife only contributes like a couple hundred every months so I know it won't be an issue. Based on a couple quick conversations I had with a couple ex accountant friends it looks like I'm just going to lean on putting in a fake number and filing it. I'll just take her number from last years return and put something similar to that. Even if the number is wrong I doubt CRA would put up a stink because it would result in no advantage to my wife it isn't like I'm going to manipulate her return to get a much larger return or anything.

edit. nevermind didn't read the entire thread.

supafamous 03-14-2024 07:43 PM

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...autilus-drive/

Goddamn, Lincolns are expensive. Spec'd a lightly equipped Nautilus and it's more money (76k before taxes) than a comparable Lexus RX which seems nuts.

A nicely equipped Cosair is $65k!!! That's a nicely equipped Q5 money.

EvoFire 03-14-2024 08:16 PM

^ They look flipping amazing, and when the Aviator Hybrid came out I wanted one pretty badly, but damn they are expensive.