REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

Badhobz 03-21-2024 06:09 AM

I remember in high school we were told that stacking bananas at Safeway was a 70k a year job. We all rushed to Safeway to see if we could get one of these banana stacking jobs and none of us got selected.

Fuck you Safeway.

bcrdukes 03-21-2024 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9129777)
1 dollar blizzards at DQ till the 31st.

I got a strawberry cheesecake without the strawberry sauce. The old lady said in the 16 years she worked at the DQ, nobody’s ever asked for that

This is as good as a regular who used to come in to the McDonald's I worked at in high school ordering a cheeseburger but no cheese. We would tell him, why not just order a hamburger? He always insisted on the cheeseburger with no cheese. :pokerface:

Badhobz 03-21-2024 06:22 AM

^ What a fucking monster!

I just don’t want strawberry jam on top of my cheesecake. It’s too sweet.

Hondaracer 03-21-2024 06:57 AM

Problem with DQ is their “ice cream” or whatever it is has been tasting increasingly fake. Blizzards kind of mask it but the cones and whatnot are gettin kinda nasty

spoon.ek9 03-21-2024 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 9129862)
This is as good as a regular who used to come in to the McDonald's I worked at in high school ordering a cheeseburger but no cheese. We would tell him, why not just order a hamburger? He always insisted on the cheeseburger with no cheese. :pokerface:

I had the same experience working at McD's when some middle aged white lady ordered the cheeseburger with no cheese. I replied "so you mean a hamburger?" and she said very rudely "NO, I said a CHEESEBURGER with NO CHEESE". So I was like, ok whatever bitch. Punched in the order and my buddy who was in the kitchen poked his head out and blurted "is this a joke?" :lol

That dumbass paid $0.30 extra for yellow paper rather than white paper. But hey, kudos to you if you like wasting money for no reason.

bcrdukes 03-21-2024 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 9129870)
I had the same experience working at McD's when some middle aged white lady ordered the cheeseburger with no cheese. I replied "so you mean a hamburger?" and she said very rudely "NO, I said a CHEESEBURGER with NO CHEESE". So I was like, ok whatever bitch. Punched in the order and my buddy who was in the kitchen poked his head out and blurted "is this a joke?" :lol

That dumbass paid $0.30 extra for yellow paper rather than white paper. But hey, kudos to you if you like wasting money for no reason.

I wonder if our customers are related. :lol

Tapioca 03-21-2024 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowball (Post 9129850)
I know everyone on reddit complains about loblaws price gouging, but are they not literally the cheapest place for most stuff (on sale)? I swear my local chinese market is hella expensive and all the other retail ones are 25% more for most items.

It's probably related to the oligopoly that we have in Canada for groceries. Loblaws, Sobeys, Walmart, and Costco (in the West). We're lucky that we live in a port city, so there's a decent sized market of independent grocers that have access to lesser quality produce that the other stores won't take. Most places in Canada do not. Reddit is also largely made up of people who probably wouldn't dare step their foot into places like Fruiticana or Red Apple Market.

Loblaws is, on average, cheaper than the others (and Pattison's stores) and even more so when you cross shop with Shoppers Drug Mart for certain items and use the PC Optimum points program effectively. The shopping experience at Real Canadian Superstore is subpar, but there's always online shopping and pickup.

The majority of people probably don't optimize their shopping. The majority of Canadians are also overweight (and have become accustomed to a certain caloric intake) and consume a lot of red meat, which explains why people, generally, are ticked off.

punkwax 03-21-2024 08:01 AM

An older EI guy once asked me for a double Big Mac with no meat.. nice troll job.

Back then we’d just charge for a 65 cent cup of tea for any burger without meat. Not sure what they do these days..

spoon.ek9 03-21-2024 08:01 AM

SDM is awful for prices lol. I buy absolutely nothing from them other than cough syrups and occasionally throat lozenges if they're on sale. Employees there will be the first to tell you they'd never shop there if it wasn't for their employee discount.

Great68 03-21-2024 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 9129853)
but they also absorbed a lot of Sobey's locations (Safeway & Thrifty alike) which did not seem to phase the competition bureau, fucking Jimmy.

Sobeys purchased IGA, Thriftys Foods and Safeway Canada, and it was actually the competition bureau that forced Sobeys to sell some safeway locations otherwise they'd have far too much market dominance. It was prevalent on the island, since Thrifty Foods is obviously big here.

In Greater Victoria, Prior to the safeway sales, we had something like 13 Thrifty Foods locations, 4 safeways, and 2 Save on Foods. Sobeys owning 17 grocery stores in our location would have been insane.

And the reason of course why it had to be Pattison/Save on Foods to purchase the Safeways, was to maintain the unionized workforce, that was a stipulation of the sale.

EvoFire 03-21-2024 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 9129875)
It's probably related to the oligopoly that we have in Canada for groceries. Loblaws, Sobeys, Walmart, and Costco (in the West). We're lucky that we live in a port city, so there's a decent sized market of independent grocers that have access to lesser quality produce that the other stores won't take. Most places in Canada do not. Reddit is also largely made up of people who probably wouldn't dare step their foot into places like Fruiticana or Red Apple Market.

Loblaws is, on average, cheaper than the others (and Pattison's stores) and even more so when you cross shop with Shoppers Drug Mart for certain items and use the PC Optimum points program effectively. The shopping experience at Real Canadian Superstore is subpar, but there's always online shopping and pickup.

The majority of people probably don't optimize their shopping. The majority of Canadians are also overweight (and have become accustomed to a certain caloric intake) and consume a lot of red meat, which explains why people, generally, are ticked off.

Most of our vegetables don't come by sea, being a port city makes very little difference other than maybe when there's a shortage and something is brought in from elsewhere. I was surprised to see China green onions because for some odd reason there was no NA ones available.

Some fruits do, but we don't get that much foreign stuff. Off the top of my head the only staple fruit that would come in by sea regularly would probably be bananas and pineapples. We occasionally get Chinese apples and Australian oranges. Would we even call pineapples a staple fruit?

The more exotic stuff are flown in by air like papayas.

supafamous 03-21-2024 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoFire (Post 9129879)
I was surprised to see China green onions because for some odd reason there was no NA ones available.

A bit off topic but I started growing green onions this past year and it's ridiculously easy to do - I did it my herb garden while my neighbour just puts it in a pot of water by her window sill. Keep the bottom inch or two of it, stick it in water/soil and you've got infinite green onions.

spoon.ek9 03-21-2024 08:55 AM

I usually find that after harvesting them after the second grow, they don't grow back very well. So I buy them once, leave the bottom 1-2 inches in a cup of water. Let them grow and then use them once. Definitely super easy to do. I wonder if they would do better in some soil in terms of multiple regrowth lol. I've never bothered.

SSM_DC5 03-21-2024 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 9129877)
SDM is awful for prices lol. I buy absolutely nothing from them other than cough syrups and occasionally throat lozenges if they're on sale. Employees there will be the first to tell you they'd never shop there if it wasn't for their employee discount.

Don't you have unlimited supply of cough syrup and lozenges at work? FeelsGoodMan

Traum 03-21-2024 09:22 AM

The problem with grocery stores in the Richmond core area is the insane traffic, esp along No. 3 Road. Yes, the stores are physically close to each other, but good luck trying to drive from one place to another.

One time on Saturday, it took me a frickin 20 min to drive through the traffic jam from Aberdeen to Lansdowne. Aberdeen to fxxking Lansdowne. Probably would have been faster had I walked it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 9129857)
Being in Richmond, on just #3 road, you got superstore, 3 T&T; langford market, Price Smart, Foody World, Costco. Then you got Public Market and the asian market across the street.

I really can't complain at all. That's a lot of option on just a 5 km distance

Another interesting observation is -- Loblaws in Toronto are far more upscale than Superstore is (and I seem to think this upscale-ness is reflected in their prices as well). The corporate Loblaws brand that caters to the Superstore-sy clients seems to be No Frills. But in Vancouver at least, I find that No Frills doesn't aim to serve the same frugal clients that they aim for in Toronto. Instead, No Frill prices here are pretty expensive, but they make up for it by pretending to be a neighbourhood store, and aiming for the convenient factor.

I also used to shop a lot at Zehrs (Markets) bcos that's what my university town had. The experience there is pretty upscale and pleasant there too -- kinda like our Safeway here.

Great68 03-21-2024 09:44 AM

Didn't the store that was in that condo development on #5 & Steveston by the overpass used to be a proper Loblaws store?

I remember going in there once, felt very much Thrifty Foods/Safeway like, definately higher end than superstore.

That sure didn't last long lol.

Superstore is kind of a direct competition to Walmart, especially now that Walmart does groceries here. (I can't stand shopping in walmart even more than Superstore )

spoon.ek9 03-21-2024 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 (Post 9129884)
Don't you have unlimited supply of cough syrup and lozenges at work? FeelsGoodMan

It's a hospital, we don't carry the good shit lol. We also don't order a lot of the combination products you see in retail settings. Also, Cepacol is the only lozenge we carry and it tastes like absolute shit. No thanks, would rather have the sore throat :lol

radeonboy 03-21-2024 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 9129891)
Didn't the store that was in that condo development on #5 & Steveston by the overpass used to be a proper Loblaws store?

I remember going in there once, felt very much Thrifty Foods/Safeway like, definately higher end than superstore.

Superstore is kind of a direct competition to Walmart, especially now that Walmart does groceries here. (I can't stand shopping in walmart even more than Superstore )

I used to visit that Loblaws for their discount stuff because they didn't have enough foot traffic to move products quick enough. Think most people in the area are used to the Save on Foods at Ironwood.

After Loblaws closed I wondered if they would replace it with a T&T since nothing similar is in South Richmond - it could capture some of the Ladner / Tsawwassen market which has a growing Asian population. But at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if T&T opens at Tsawwassen Mills.

PeanutButter 03-21-2024 10:12 AM

Is the mall in Tsawwassen even busy? How does that place survive

radeonboy 03-21-2024 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 9129898)
Is the mall in Tsawwassen even busy? How does that place survive

It's pretty packed on weekends but very mellow during the week. Want to say it's just as busy as RC on a weekend but people are more spread out thanks to the larger mall footprint.

Hondaracer 03-21-2024 10:28 AM

Anyone been getting mad spam recently?

Fuck been getting all sorts of texts and even calls recently from some “law firm” in Florida saying they are following up on a enquiry etc. leaving me voice mails and texts. They are bypassing my call control so it’s either good AI or an actual person calling..

Don’t feel like I’ve given my number out to any new services outside of maybe local restaurant booking apps..

GLOW 03-21-2024 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 9129829)
You don't park at the 88 parking lot. It's a frickin zoo, and the spots are pretty narrow. Look for street parking elsewhere -- there is usually something along Elliot.

But I usually like their meat -- both for price and quality.

My favourite is when the smoking uncles are all doing it near the air pump at the Chevron station. I always wonder how close (to the gas pumps) they'd need to get before some sort of explosion / fire happens :lawl:

my fav is when they stand in the middle of the road or stall you're trying to back in to and after a while slowly gtfo, or when they pull up and take 2 spots/park on the line.

i was speaking with one of the shop owners and apparently the uncles straight up refuse to stand away from store entrances and when called out on it and pointing at the sign they reply they don't speak english FailFish

Badhobz 03-21-2024 11:05 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/NMJmd5N1/IMG-5970.jpg

Me and spy balloon grabbed ghetto meatballs today for 5 bucks. What savings !

Eff-1 03-21-2024 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 9129891)

It was a Loblaws City Mart and it was doomed to fail from the start.

Having a SOF in a giant plaza with other stores like LD and CT across the street was always going to be tough competition because City Mart was across the street on its own, so there's no walk-by traffic.

And cheap people living in Richmond wouldn't necessarily pay higher prices for a more premium-feeling store. Case in point: Superstore.

radeonboy 03-21-2024 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9129904)
Me and spy balloon grabbed ghetto meatballs today for 5 bucks. What savings !

How was the lineup? I was there to pick up something last week and the lineup went well into the kid's area...