REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

Great68 03-18-2024 06:46 PM

A simple one, is if you have a chequing/savings account (not RESP) in your kids' name but you control, that's a bare trust you have to report.

Penalties for knowingly or under circumstances amounting to gross negligence fail to file a return, make a false statement or omit required information in the return are the greater of:

$2,500 or 5% of the maximum fair market value of the property held in the trust at any time in the year

This new penalty is in addition to the existing penalties (maximum $2,500) for failing to file a T3 return, which continue to apply.

bcrdukes 03-18-2024 06:55 PM

Thank you sir.

I don't know the full details of his situation, as he was quite frantic explaining the situation to me. Something to do with the mortgage, and taking out some money from the bare trust, or something along those lines. The form for the return is quite complicated as he says, but coincidentally, there was an article in The Globe & Mail by Rob Carrick who talks about the Bare Trust complexities, and that it can be simple, if your situation is simple (like in your example) but can get complicated depending on the situation.

In the end, I threw in the towel and told him to see a professional accountant.

RabidRat 03-18-2024 09:01 PM

Found this the other day at 99 Ranch (the T&T equivalent out here):

It comes in a squeeze bottle!!

https://i.imgur.com/Xe9aNQVl.jpg

What a game changer. Hate having to deal with the mess of a can of condensed milk. This is way more convenient.

radeonboy 03-18-2024 09:20 PM

^Do they taste the same as the cans? I might order a pack on Amazon US.

Right now I'm using their capsules but running low and can't find them in Vancouver.

https://images.deliveryhero.io/image...jpg?height=480

headhunt3r 03-18-2024 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkwax (Post 9129392)
Finally! Those handles will be useful to hang reusable bags on so you can keep the basket empty while shopping.

Looks like a brand new cart.. could be there is no added cost. Kinda going out of your way to hate on Superstore lol

https://dkdesignwv.files.wordpress.c...loud.png?w=281

Edit: darnit I need windows 11 too. Where would one find it online on the cheap? Don’t think I need pro..

I can hook it up if you want a license for cheaper. PM me

RabidRat 03-18-2024 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radeonboy (Post 9129584)
^Do they taste the same as the cans?

As I thoughtfully swish the goop in my mouth, I find myself savoring the depth of its creamy embrace.

Juxtaposed against the earthy musk of its terroir, delightful floral notes tickle my palate.

So yes? I dunno man it tastes the same to me :p.

Badhobz 03-19-2024 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidRat (Post 9129589)
As I thoughtfully swish the goop in my mouth, I find myself savoring the depth of its creamy

Ha ! Gay !!!!!!!

murd0c 03-19-2024 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 9129560)
SOOO how about that superstore.

I know i'm paying 20% more at Save On but the store/experience is superior.

superstore is the worst.

Their produce seems to be horrible and the milk always expires before the expiry date. Save On is top quality (it's $1.49 day today) I have been shopping at Fresco more and they seem to be decent and way better then Stupid store.

BIC_BAWS 03-19-2024 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 9129575)
Any experts on what this is and how bad it can be if the CRA finds out you're a bad boy and slaps you with a fine?

BAD.

And even worse for anyone remotely involved in the transaction who doesn't file the mandatory disclosure.

Read the new mandatory disclosure rules and penalties. It's fucked.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

winson604 03-19-2024 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidRat (Post 9129583)
Found this the other day at 99 Ranch (the T&T equivalent out here):

It comes in a squeeze bottle!!

https://i.imgur.com/Xe9aNQVl.jpg

What a game changer. Hate having to deal with the mess of a can of condensed milk. This is way more convenient.

haha truly one of the great inventions on the modern era. We have 3 sqeeze bottle options in Vancouver for condensed milk but not for this brand yet.

Speaking of I saw a post yesterday about people talking about the squeeze bottle for the glass bottle of oyster sauce and that in the US some places have the squeeze bottle version but I've never seen it in my life here yet.

6793026 03-19-2024 08:27 AM

https://149449856.v2.pressablecdn.co...ee-Kum-Kee.jpg

have seen it before. I do like how i KNOW ENGLISH.
family keeps on saying it taste different and it's better, it's real.
I said: "can you read the english for me"
"oyster flavored"

so now we just buy the cheapest brand cause it's all MSG... so F it..... not like it's organic so instead of buying 7.95 for Lee Kam KEE, we went with $2.5 china brand.

EvoFire 03-19-2024 08:53 AM

^ Most restaraunts use the panda one, probably partly because it comes in a giant tin.

We use the premium version because that's what I grew up with. My mom says it tastes different and I never really thought about it, just tradition. Also Costco sells it.

unit 03-19-2024 09:31 AM

i pretty much never shop at any of the big 3-4 supermarkets. asian supermarkets all the way. the indian place across from me is a hidden gem. i pretty much refuse to shop at safeway/saveon/superstore/nofrills... i can understand if they are the most convenient for you and time = money, but i generally try to avoid these places.

ssjGoku69 03-19-2024 09:36 AM

I had both bottles and did a taste test. The Panda one is basically just salty wheras the boat lady one definitely has more depth to the flavour.

Eff-1 03-19-2024 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 9129624)
i pretty much never shop at any of the big 3-4 supermarkets. asian supermarkets all the way. the indian place across from me is a hidden gem. i pretty much refuse to shop at safeway/saveon/superstore/nofrills... i can understand if they are the most convenient for you and time = money, but i generally try to avoid these places.

This is my challenge. The closest shop by far is a save on foods and it's such a timesaver.

Pricing is obnoxious, but the store itself is quite large/nice, and parking is easy.

We chalk it up to paying more for convenience and a nicer store.

Superstore: Parking is hard. Lineups to pay are very long. The clientele is different. The produce is never as good. Meat is never as good. And it never fails that no matter what I end up going in to buy, they are almost always sold out of it. Just the worst.

murd0c 03-19-2024 11:11 AM

The way I look at it I would rather pay more to save time and the hassle and getting better quality food then saving money and getting pissed off with parking and shitty quality food.

westopher 03-19-2024 11:27 AM

It's crazy that the thing that people would sacrifice for cost is the quality of food they put in their body.
Buy cheaper clothes or cancel cable or something.
I understand some people don't have the choice and they are already there, but when someone's wandering around a superstore in a $2500 outfit looking for cheap beef and canned vegetables it's a big what the fuck.

Hondaracer 03-19-2024 11:32 AM

There are 3 “Asian grocers” around me and I refuse to shop at them. All their goods are garbage. I’ve never seen peppers or onions go bad as fast as theirs.

We do 90% of our shopping at Costco and I’m happy for it, consistently great produce, protein is about as good as you can get etc.

Superstore protein is on par with Walmart when I look at it, chicken breasts and drumsticks look fucking disgusting there.

As I’ve said before, we have the last Donald’s market right by us which we use to supplement our groceries and I feel like even it, a tiny independent grocery store shits on the big box places in both price and quality, which I have no clue how they do it but kinda underlines how bad we’re all getting ripped off.

Traum 03-19-2024 12:25 PM

Apparently this is a trend with a lot of processed food now -- instead of using the actual ingredients, simulated flavours are being substituted into the food to lower the processing/produciton costs. Whether this is done to keep prices from increasing too much, or whether the food processors are trying to turn a bigger profit is another topic to discuss, but at the end of the day, keep an eye on that list of ingredients when you are buying any processed food.

Apparently cocoa prices are skyrocketing, and some large volume chocolatiers are already using chocolate flavours instead of chocolate in their chocolates.

At this rate, I might have to start learning how to make chocolate on my own...
:rukidding:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 9129613)
"oyster flavored"

so now we just buy the cheapest brand cause it's all MSG... so F it..... not like it's organic so instead of buying 7.95 for Lee Kam KEE, we went with $2.5 china brand.

Great68 03-19-2024 03:03 PM

https://i.cbc.ca/1.7021582.169948387...-packaging.jpg

Skimpflation.

I'd rather just pay more money for the real original thing, they don't even give you the option for that.

bcrdukes 03-19-2024 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS (Post 9129608)
BAD.

And even worse for anyone remotely involved in the transaction who doesn't file the mandatory disclosure.

Read the new mandatory disclosure rules and penalties. It's fucked.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Do you speak from experience? :suspicious: :badpokerface:

SkinnyPupp 03-19-2024 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 9129613)
https://149449856.v2.pressablecdn.co...ee-Kum-Kee.jpg

"oyster flavored"

Pretty easy to tell which will be better just by comparing the ingredients:

LKK Panda: Water, Sugar, Oyster Extract (Oysters, Water, Salt), Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Flavour Enhancer (E621), Wheat Flour, Colour (E150a).

LKK Boat Lady: Oyster Extract (Oysters, Water, Salt), Sugar, Water, Flavour Enhancer (E621), Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Wheat Flour, Colour (E150a).

LKK Choi Sun: Water, Sugar, Salt, Oyster Extract (Oysters, Water, Salt), Modified Corn Starch, Wheat Flour, Colour (E150a).

Cheap oyster sauce (Healthy Boy): Water, Sugar, Salt, Fructose Syrup, Modified Tapioca Starch (E1442), Citric Acid (E330), Flavour Enhancer (E621), Oyster Extract, Caramel Colour (E150c), Xanthan Gum (E415), Oyster Flavour, Sodium Benzoate (E211)

The cheap stuff has 0.1% oyster extract in it. It has more MSG than oyster... It has more citric acid than oyster! lol. If you like it, that's great. Save money!

The LKK products all have the same ingredients, but in different order. "Premium" boat lady lists oyster first, and more MSG, so it'll have the most oyster flavour. Panda has a bit less oyster, and Choi Sun a bit less than that, and no MSG.

Prices here are $19 HKD for Panda ($3.30 CAD) for 500g, and $40 for Boat Lady ($7 CAD).Choi Sun seems like a decent product for $10 (1.20 CAD). Healthy Boy and stuff like that is probably like $5-10 at cheap markets. It's not worth buying that over Choi Sun if you want to buy cheap stuff.

I usually buy Boat Lady when it's on sale, but I may start using Panda now. I use a lot of this shit, it's an amazing umami bomb.

BIC_BAWS 03-19-2024 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 9129660)
Do you speak from experience? :suspicious: :badpokerface:

Yeah the experience of having to fire 50% of my client base because they refuse to comply with mandatory disclosure and want to do whatever on their taxes.

I don't fucking understand it. If you people know so much better on how to do taxes efficiently, do it your fucking self.

bcrdukes 03-19-2024 05:55 PM

BRB calling PwC, Deloitte, E&Y, and KPMG

GLOW 03-19-2024 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS (Post 9129685)
Yeah the experience of having to fire 50% of my client base because they refuse to comply with mandatory disclosure and want to do whatever on their taxes.

I don't fucking understand it. If you people know so much better on how to do taxes efficiently, do it your fucking self.

they need you b/c when shit goes sideways they need someone to blame :badpokerface: