REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   NHL IS BACK! The Official 2012/2013 Canucks & NHL Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669494-nhl-back-official-2012-2013-canucks-nhl-thread.html)

kristianhay 06-15-2012 06:49 PM

^

It's a free prospect (free in the sense of not having to trade for him), why would you be concerned?

Quote:

Cox: Maple Leafs likely to pass on Rick Nash, pitch for Roberto Luongo

’Tis the season for statements of intent.

Remember this time last year? Almost exactly a year ago two trades shook the hockey world, deals that set the table for three franchises.

First Philadelphia GM Paul Holmgren dealt sniper Jeff Carter to the Columbus Blue Jackets for forward Jakub Voracek, a first-round pick in the draft a few days later and a third-rounder. That same day Holmgren swapped captain Mike Richards to Los Angeles for youngsters Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds plus a second round selection.

Each team was making a statement about their perceived future.

Philly, while picking up Schenn, Simmonds and Voracek plus three picks, was looking to reset their team, get younger and clear cap room to sign goalie Ilya Bryzgalov a few days later.

In Columbus, getting Carter was a statement they were getting serious about both moving up the standings and making it clear to winger Rick Nash that there was reason to stay in Ohio. The Kings finally were looking to make a big leap forward after years of gathering assets through the draft.

Well a year later, it’s clear the champagne-soaked Kings ended up following through on their statement of intent most effectively, agreed?

Holmgren must squirmed a bit in Philly watching Richards and Carter lift the Stanley Cup while Bryzgalov went bust. In Columbus, GM Scott Howson no longer has Carter laying the groundwork to trade Nash and probably has next season to prove he’s up to the job.

Intent doesn’t always reap results.

Now with the Cup having been awarded and the draft set for next Friday in Pittsburgh, any number of teams are looking to send a strong message to the industry and their fans about the direction in which they are headed.

Expensive accomplished players like Patrick Kane, Nash, Jay Bouwmeester and Roberto Luongo are possibly available for trade. Ryan Suter and Zach Parise appear set to leave Nashville and New Jersey respectively as free agents. Teams are getting set to make moves lockout or no lockout ahead.

Which brings us to the Maple Leafs.

It’s an intriguing time for GM Brian Burke and his staff as they contemplate the future. The expectation among many is that Burke is plotting aggressive ways of making sure the Leafs don’t miss post-season play again next season eyeing a veteran goaltender (Luongo?) in search of quality veterans to bolster Dion Phaneuf and the leadership group in the Toronto dressing room and searching for ways to get the No. 1 pick in next week’s draft.

To do some, or all, of those things, Burke would have to prepared to sacrifice some, or many, of the young pieces that were either part of the Leaf organization when he arrived or that he himself has put in place.

Luke Schenn’s name is permanently attached to the rumour mill. Lots of teams would like Jake Gardiner. Nazem Kadri and his development have become a constant topic of debate.

Burke could move ’em all in an attempt to get help now and the chance to draft Nail Yakupov if the Leaf GM was so inclined.

But that makes little sense.

Before they made their move, the Kings spent eight years drafting players including nine picks in the top 15 of their draft years while compiling a treasure trove of young talent that either graduated to their team or was used to land other players.

Burke’s only had three drafts and one top 15 pick (Kadri). In the four drafts before Burke arrived the Leafs had two top 15 picks (Schenn and Jiri Tlusty).

There’s just not enough there yet even with some promising players with the Marlies to start aggressively thinking short-term like the Kings.

The likeliest scenario then is for something in between:

• A play for Luongo that might cost one good prospect.

• A mid-range NHL free agent.

• An aggressive bid for unsigned Anaheim blueline prospect Justin Schultz.

• No deal for Nash who may have scratched Toronto from his list of preferred destinations anyway.

• No move up from No. 5 in the draft and therefore ending up with a blue-chip youngster who will be back in junior or Europe next season.

The message? Staying the course no short-term fixes or at least none involving players who can only help for one or two years. Luongo, maybe, because he’s a long-term solution in the crease.

It would be a statement that the Leafs aren’t yet in the prospect-rich position L.A. was last summer but also that they believe enough in what they have put in place — Phaneuf as captain, Phil Kessel as the centrepiece up front — that a goaltending upgrade would make everything look better.

Is the steady-as-she-goes keep adding prospects message what some people want to hear? Burke can’t worry about that. Once he does he might as well buy another Harley and ride off into the sunset.

Cox: Maple Leafs likely to pass on Rick Nash, pitch for Roberto Luongo - thestar.com

spideyv2 06-15-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristianhay (Post 7948780)
^

It's a free prospect (free in the sense of not having to trade for him), why would you be concerned?

My bad. I meant I'd only be concerned if we slotted him into the top 4 right away.

CRS 06-15-2012 07:36 PM

Damien Cox

:fuckthatshit:

Also, with Schultz, its just money that we're spending so it isn't a big deal should it not work out.

kristianhay 06-15-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
What's going on with the Jets ? I hear from a player on Winnipeg that Kane doesn't want to negotiate a new deal ?
I just want draft day to come, all these rumors are too much haha.

spoon.ek9 06-15-2012 08:01 PM

Yeah, I'd rather read about some confirmed trades/signings than all these useless rumours.

murd0c 06-15-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare604 (Post 7948779)
My only concern with Schultz is that he's a rookie, and he's undersized

The big thing about him is you don't have to give up anything for him. If it pans out fricken awesome and if he doesn't we tried and only lost money.

I think we should really go for him since we need a stronger blue line.

Any word on Salo yet?

spideyv2 06-15-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7948843)
The big thing about him is you don't have to give up anything for him. If it pans out fricken awesome and if he doesn't we tried and only lost money.

I think we should really go for him since we need a stronger blue line.

Any word on Salo yet?

His daughter, Julia, said he was planning on retiring. A lot of people are writing on her wall saying things like "I wish we coulda hung out before you left" "have fun, i'll come visit you some day" etc etc. Take it for what it's worth, I guess lol

murd0c 06-15-2012 09:10 PM

If thats the case shitty deal but at least his last season he didn't really have any large injuries.

spoon.ek9 06-15-2012 09:18 PM

Yeah lol. Salo was one hell of a defenseman at $2mil/yr this season. He also made it through the clipping incident from that fucking rat Marchand. Tons of respect for Salo :thumbsup:

dbaz 06-15-2012 09:25 PM

fuck schultz im more stoked about connauhton. kid has been improving by leaps and bounds.

Tim Budong 06-15-2012 09:26 PM

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Hl8...ourthround.gif

spideyv2 06-15-2012 09:35 PM

Watching bruins vs canucks game 7 replay on espn classics. We didn't play that bad, thomas and the bruins d were too solid. The bounces didnt go our way either.

Not really racist! 06-15-2012 09:46 PM

:speechless::inout:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare604 (Post 7948921)
Watching bruins vs canucks game 7 replay on espn classics. We didn't play that bad, thomas and the bruins d were too solid. The bounces didnt go our way either.

spideyv2 06-15-2012 09:47 PM

:troll:

GrapeDrink 06-15-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 7948553)
The market for Columbus Blue Jackets winger Rick Nash is heating up ahead of next week's NHL Draft. According to the Columbus Dispatch, as many as seven teams have had 'significant discussions' with the club in the last 10 days about acquiring Nash.

The report adds that the New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks, Philadelphia Flyers, Toronto Maple Leafs and Carolina Hurricanes are among the teams that have expressed interest.

Report: Nash trade talks heating up ahead of NHL Draft

lol I really don't think SJ is going to land Nash, it was already reported that Doug Wilson declined a Nash for Couture trade, I assume that hasn't changed. Then its most likely Pavelski + which I think would be a huge mistake given that pavelski ranked among the top of the league defensively and put up 60 points, and I assume Doug Wilson knows this as well lol. After that we have no prospects of value to offer and our pick is pretty low.

Vale46Rossi 06-15-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare604 (Post 7948921)

I watched this 3 times this week...

:(

spoon.ek9 06-16-2012 12:59 AM

tingles up and down my spine watching that video.. i miss coho, kassian better deliver this season.

dlo 06-16-2012 01:10 AM

I actually talked to kane this week and he said he doesn't mind playing in winnipeg but the change from alanta to winnipeg was really big and somewhat disappointing. Different weather/people but closer to home I suppose, his sister got accepted in university at alanta too so it was a fuss

murd0c 06-17-2012 04:30 PM

Shes not naked with the cup yet but hopefully she will be soon

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5...1e1b001123.jpg

punkwax 06-17-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7950219)
She hasnt been caught naked with the cup yet but hopefully she will be soon

Fixed.

Hondaracer 06-17-2012 04:49 PM

she's gross

604778 06-17-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenDuang (Post 7949043)
I watched this 3 times this week...

Vancouver Canucks 2011- 2012 Season in 8 Minutes - YouTube

:(

oh i miss watching Canucks hockey.

spideyv2 06-17-2012 05:01 PM

Pahlsson has signed with MODO according to some swedish newspaper

spideyv2 06-17-2012 05:02 PM

And I wood plough paulina, like a farmer

cliffhanger33 06-17-2012 05:56 PM

moar pics

http://mt.nesn.com/.a/6a0115709f071f...4332970b-800wi

http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsg...012/06/PG4.jpg