REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   4x4's and the Great Outdoors (https://www.revscene.net/forums/4x4s-great-outdoors_226/)
-   -   Just curious, how many recreational shooters on here? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/694561-just-curious-how-many-recreational-shooters-here.html)

Zedbra 03-25-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8740887)
What do the non-coloured ones cost?

Ten grand - all of them start at that price and go up.

Gh0stRider 03-27-2016 09:28 PM

haven't gone shooting since I got my PAL a few years ago. Went to DVC with a few friends today and had a blast.

Where is the best place to look for used firearms?

Zedbra 03-27-2016 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 8741526)
haven't gone shooting since I got my PAL a few years ago. Went to DVC with a few friends today and had a blast.

CGN will teach you a lot for finding used firearms, as well as finding ethical online vendors alike. Also, befriending others in the sport goes a long ways, we try to stick together. What are you looking for?

underscore 03-29-2016 08:27 AM

CGN can be a dangerous place, I originally intended to own two rifles and now I own 3 plus a shotgun :lol

originalhypa 03-29-2016 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 8741526)

The local gun shops have some great deals on used and consignment guns. I bought my S&W from Int'l for a great price (thanks incubus!).

But nothing beats the "bro deal". I sold my brother a 10/22 for $200. It has about $150 in upgrades, and shoots like a dream. My buddy got a nutcase T97 for $700. It didn't work well which justified the cheap price. But like any machine, once we got into it and fixed a few little things it started to work again. We had it out on friday, and it shot like a champ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8741896)
CGN can be a dangerous place, I originally intended to own two rifles and now I own 3 plus a shotgun :lol

:lol

I now have everything I want.
Until I played with an AR at the range on friday. Now I want one of those too.

Zedbra 03-29-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8741924)

I've been saying the same thing - my friend even bet me $100 I couldn't go the rest of the year without buying a new gun. Three months in, no problem...then a guy posted a Dan Wesson .22 that is screaming to me. :badpokerface:

originalhypa 03-29-2016 11:50 AM

The .22 world is a fun one, for sure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psknksqiky.jpg

I took the Charger out to the range on friday and had a great time with it. She was shooting flawlessly, along with the 10/22.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pswuknngxh.jpg

I got home and proceeded to do the auto bolt release mod, and a good cleaning. I'm still looking at triggers for both guns, but I would like to do the polishing and all other mods myself. I'll go broke buying a pair of Volquartson triggers for my guns. But time and files? I have both to spare.
:D

Zedbra 03-29-2016 12:22 PM

I've heard a lot of goof things about Brimstone 10/22 triggers. Just buy one of their stock Ruger triggers and let them do their magic. People who have had Dlask, VQ, Kidd, Timney, you name it - all say the Brimstone trigger is the way to go.

Ruger 10/22 ? Brimstone Gunsmithing

originalhypa 03-30-2016 10:04 AM

That is a cool option!
And pretty cost effective too.

incubus 03-30-2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8741924)
The local gun shops have some great deals on used and consignment guns. I bought my S&W from Int'l for a great price (thanks incubus!).

But nothing beats the "bro deal". I sold my brother a 10/22 for $200. It has about $150 in upgrades, and shoots like a dream. My buddy got a nutcase T97 for $700. It didn't work well which justified the cheap price. But like any machine, once we got into it and fixed a few little things it started to work again. We had it out on friday, and it shot like a champ.

:lol

everyone needs a ar

Gh0stRider 03-30-2016 08:24 PM

AR is on my wishlist :p

Zedbra 03-31-2016 04:00 PM

Got tired of looking for binos - not sure what magnification/size I will like carrying all day - so Cabelas sends me an email and they are selling their 2015 Vortex Diamondback 10x42 binos for $219 with free shipping. 2016 models are $359. I told my wife she just bought my Birthday present. lol.

Hondaracer 03-31-2016 07:51 PM

review em when u get em.. any idea how long the deal is on for?

Zedbra 03-31-2016 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8742914)
review em when u get em.. any idea how long the deal is on for?

No, I'm not sure how long but probably until they are gone. A few other companies have already flogged their Diamondbacks as well, WSS was flogging theirs a little while ago. http://www.cabelas.ca/product/59905/...gn=16-sgod1-e1

I read a bunch of reviews on these binos and I haven't seen one negative yet - which is surprising for their low cost and typical internet reviewers. I figured for $219 and a lifetime warranty - if I don't like them then my sons can beat on them.

My heart was kind of set on stepping up into the $700 price range - but I only use my binos for scouting, then my rifle scope for close-ups. 10 power just isn't enough magnification to legally identify the spikes on game over 100 yards. I know a guy that bought the Leica 10x40 binos with built in rangefinder (over $3g) and though the glass is great, he can't even use them at the range to spot holes past 75 yards.

underscore 03-31-2016 09:49 PM

What's the best way to find out scope cap sizes short of test fitting a bunch of them? I know the model of the scope but I can't find anything online that says the actual cap size. It's a Tasco Varmint TG21042I.

Zedbra 03-31-2016 09:52 PM

^ follow that link I gave, the caps come with new binos!

Zedbra 04-01-2016 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8742986)
What's the best way to find out scope cap sizes short of test fitting a bunch of them? I know the model of the scope but I can't find anything online that says the actual cap size. It's a Tasco Varmint TG21042I.

Okay - the serious response to this is simple: get a caliper and measure the outside diameter of your binos. You can then order them online or go to a shop like Kerrisdale Cameras and see if they have something in their pile of parts.

I use this caliper for reloading as well - but it comes on sale for $20 quite often. Mastercraft Digital Caliper | Canadian Tire

originalhypa 04-01-2016 08:20 AM

I haven't really looked at binoculars. Most shops don't have a lot of selection, and the I hate going to Outdoor Wholesalers glass section.

Grouse River sent me an email this morning and I happened to check out the binocular section.
Grouse River - Optics - Binoculars

You can spend a little, or a lot. And I'm talking, a lot!
:eek:

Zedbra 04-01-2016 05:14 PM

I spent a good hour on the phone with Miramachi this afternoon, going through the steps to get an unknown gun registered. I was going through a box of jackets that my father had put aside for me before he passed, and to my surprise it contained more than just jackets; inside I also found a Traditions Trapper .50cal black powder percussion pistol. So, they walked me through going online and requesting a registration, so now it is hurry up and wait.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/q...psblsq1o01.jpg

Zedbra 04-01-2016 06:26 PM

Hey incubus - do you guys sell black powder, wads, and lead balls?

incubus 04-02-2016 06:54 PM

yes I do what sizes do you need?

Zedbra 04-02-2016 08:38 PM

Some FFP powder,.490 balls, and some pre-lubed wads would be great (or any wads). Also, I need some powder measures, wad loaders, and cleaning rod/attachments. Whatcha got?

incubus 04-03-2016 06:16 PM

I will check it out Tuesday.

Zedbra 04-03-2016 08:03 PM

Cool. Also need some CCI #11 primers

Zedbra 04-05-2016 06:13 PM

Took a vendor to the range today, I also hunt with the guy. It was good to shoot with him, plus a great way to spend a rainy Tuesday afternoon. We had dueling Glocks, lots of rifles, my Dan Wesson went through 100 rounds, my Ruger Hunter was smoking, and all in all just a good dose of gun powder aromatherapy.

I've been trying various loads for my new Steyr .270 and I think I have the clear winner thus far. I sight most my rifles at 1" to 2" high at 100 yards, depending on the BDC holdover for 200 yards. Below is a 4 shot group at 100 yards and yes, I did put 1 round right through the other.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/q...psf0stzxsr.jpg