REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Electric and Hybrid Car Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706431-electric-hybrid-car-thread.html)

underscore 04-21-2023 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 9096675)
a genius of his time

He's spent a lot of money to make it look like that's the case.

Hondaracer 04-21-2023 11:52 AM

Lol it’s such a bizarre thing to try and diminish someone like that

Traum 04-21-2023 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9096679)
Is it a good deal tho? I mean... you love your Mazda2 and that cost like 1/4 the Y brand new and uses barely any gas as it is.

Keeping your money in your pocket is the best deal of all.

Oh I totally agree that keeping the MZ2 is the best-est deal of all for now and in the foreseeable future. But if I were in the market for a new car right now, and have up to $70k - $80k to spend, I think that Model Y long range AWD is going to be right up there among the list of top contestants. Power, AWD, EV perks, availability, gov rebates instead of dealership mark ups. That's a pretty impressive list of likes.

TypeRNammer 04-21-2023 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 9096694)
Oh I totally agree that keeping the MZ2 is the best-est deal of all for now and in the foreseeable future. But if I were in the market for a new car right now, and have up to $70k - $80k to spend, I think that Model Y long range AWD is going to be right up there among the list of top contestants. Power, AWD, EV perks, availability, gov rebates instead of dealership mark ups. That's a pretty impressive list of likes.

With the Model 3 refresh coming out shortly, the Model Y will follow up with it afterwards

In terms of pricing, I'm predicting that the Model 3 and base Model Y RWD will drop slightly and some room will be made to slot on the Texas spec Model Y AWD.

As much as I want to jump onto these new offerings, I'm going to hold out a bit longer.

TypeRNammer 04-21-2023 03:38 PM

EDIT: wrong info

Traum 04-21-2023 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeRNammer (Post 9096654)
Base Model Y $59990
Delivery and fees $2000

$61990 before tax, after tax $69428.80

After rebates $60428.80 if you meet the requirements for the BC rebates

Word from the grapevine is, that $5k federal rebate on the Model Y is only good until June because the iZEV program was only planned till June. At that time, the program will be updated, either with new terms, similar terms or abolished all together.

Personally, at the national level, I'd hardly think EV adoption rates are high -- it is mostly only in Quebec and BC where EV makes up for a sizable percentage of all new vehicles being sold. So that means scrapping the national program after June seems rather unlikely. So with next year being an election year, how do you think Turdeau and the Libs will attempt to buy our votes through the EV incentive program?

68style 04-22-2023 07:50 AM

You guys think they're buying that many votes with an EV rebate?? That's way too niche to be a vote buying campaign of any sort.

In fact, I'd say the general voting populace hates the program, I regularly hear people bitching about how we're subsidizing rich people buying expensive cars.

Traum 04-22-2023 08:45 AM

It can really swing either way, man -- at least that's how I'd see it. Depending on which way Turd and his ministers see the public sentiments are leaning, a program renewal at a time like this (a short while before the next election) becomes the perfect opportunity to try and buy votes one way or another. If they think the general public is complaining too much about subsidizing rich people, they can cut back or axe it. If they think more of those who actually come out and vote would like it, they may keep juicing it.

Badhobz 04-22-2023 08:55 AM

is this barely 400km range an issue for most people? i mean technically youre suppose to charge it every evening in your own mansion so it shouldnt be an issue. But i find the plug in and out a pain in the ass.

Im the only guy i know who've ripped his ctek charger off the wall and drove away with it trailing it behind me like a "just married" chain of cans. Fuck plugging shit in and out.

whitev70r 04-22-2023 08:57 AM

Frankly, I think it's time to stop subsidizing rich people's EV's.

JDMDreams 04-22-2023 11:28 AM

Frankly, I think it's time to stop subsidizing poor people's drug habits.

JDMDreams 04-22-2023 11:31 AM

Range shouldn't be an issue for most people just plug in at home, it's like charging your phone, do you trip over your charging cable

underscore 04-22-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 9096691)
Lol it’s such a bizarre thing to try and diminish someone like that

The bizarre part is it's true, he's spent a ton of money to be listed as a founder of companies he had no part in starting.

supafamous 04-22-2023 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 9096795)
The bizarre part is it's true, he's spent a ton of money to be listed as a founder of companies he had no part in starting.

Yeah, Musk is not actually a founder of Tesla - he contributed money in their first round of funding about a year in (and there after funded it even more). That's not to say that he didn't have a lot to do with the success of Tesla - he most certainly accelerated their success but he's not a founder as Tesla.com says he is.

He is the founder of SpaceX but stories abound of how the staff keep him away from things and he's really just the money bags behind the company b/c he doesn't really know anything and/or shows bad judgement. His vision and drive did make SpaceX a success though.

Are Musk's accomplishments outstanding? Yeah but he's not what the media has historically made him out to be - he's not of the same class of entrepreneur that Steve Jobs and Jeff Bezos are. Steve and Jeff have their flaws but Elon gets pretty gross with his.

Badhobz 04-22-2023 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMDreams (Post 9096792)
Range shouldn't be an issue for most people just plug in at home, it's like charging your phone, do you trip over your charging cable

I have :QQ::QQ: I’ve kicked the damn phone half way across the living room just last week.

I need wireless EV charging.

JDMDreams 04-22-2023 01:57 PM

^^ what are you doing walking back and forth in your garage or driveway. It's not like the car is charging on your desk or living room, it's freaking outside or in the garage.

dark0821 04-22-2023 02:24 PM

Hey guys, not sure if its okay to post... umm..

Yea, got one Ioniq 6 Ultimate in stock with a few caveats
- selling at MSRP, no mark up
- must deliver this month
- need trade

texting me will be easiest 778 881 6968

bcedhk 04-22-2023 03:59 PM

Does the caveat include paying $2500 for “factory paint protection”?

radeonboy 04-22-2023 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9096769)
is this barely 400km range an issue for most people? i mean technically youre suppose to charge it every evening in your own mansion so it shouldnt be an issue. But i find the plug in and out a pain in the ass.

Depends on how much you drive on a daily basis and if you have a 110v / 220v to plug in at home. I had range anxiety when I shopped my first EV so I went with a dual motor Model 3 for its charging network and long range ability. I quickly learned the extra range wasn't needed for my everyday driving, but YMMV.

My current EV does 250km on a full charge and I drive 30-50km daily on average, so an overnight recharge on a 110v works just fine. My car charges at ~9km / hour on 110v so even a conservative 8-hour charge is more than enough to cover my daily commute. It takes like 10 seconds to plug it in and never felt like a hassle.

JDMDreams 04-22-2023 06:32 PM

It's $500 for your trade in

dark0821 04-22-2023 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcedhk (Post 9096829)
Does the caveat include paying $2500 for “factory paint protection”?

No, at MSRP means at MSRP, basically Hyundai.ca pricing plus 699 doc fee

Simplex123 04-22-2023 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9096769)
is this barely 400km range an issue for most people?

My EV has a 200km range and I put a roof box on it dropping it even more lol
But even then today I went from Richmond > Langley > Burnaby > Richmond and I still had 20% left. Charged 4 hours at home and now I'm full again.

Really depends if you make a trip more than double that on a daily basis

Badhobz 04-22-2023 07:54 PM

Not at all.

I’m just thinking with a sub 400km range that means the furthest you can kinda go and come back in 1 charge would be hope / whistler / Seattle. Anything further would be pushing it.

Simplex123 04-22-2023 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9096855)
Not at all.

I’m just thinking with a sub 400km range that means the furthest you can kinda go and come back in 1 charge would be hope / whistler / Seattle. Anything further would be pushing it.

Yeah for most people they would do trips more than the above destinations maybe once every 1-3 years. At that point it would be worth it to just rent a vehicle for that trip. If you have access to an ICE car from a family member that would be most ideal.

Manic! 04-22-2023 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9096855)
Not at all.

Using Tesla's trip planner driving from Richmond to Portland in a model Y performance you would have to charge for 35 minutes. during the trip at a Supercharger.

In an Ice car you would want to stop for cheap gas in the states taking 10 minutes. Maybe go to the washroom or get something to eat.

So the difference is not much.