REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #2651
I am Hook'd on RS

Results of court cases. Interesting read.
https://www.drivesmartbc.ca/category...ase-law?page=1

classic example of a VI ticket:
https://www.drivesmartbc.ca/enforcem...rder-questions

Legal loops without a Lawyer.
Advertisement

Last edited by Carguru; 03-19-2019 at 07:22 AM. Reason: add
Carguru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #2652
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,011 Times in 1,891 Posts
While you cannot technically dispute a VI like you could with a violation ticket, you can try to contact the issuing police force and try to have it cancelled. I got a VI on my old MR2 some years ago and I was successfully able to have it cancelled by CVSE on behalf of VPD. Your mileage may vary as this is totally up to their discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #2653
I am Hook'd on RS

This is more a typical scenario. A vehicle is lowered 1", non-oem wheels, gets a VI ticket for a being modified. The driver has been caught(ticketed) for not having a VI-decal, after the mods. So, even after a inspection has been performed and passed. The car is Legal on the streets, but the LEO accuses the owner/VI centre - parts were switched and incompetent inspector/shop.

Last edited by Carguru; 03-19-2019 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #2654
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Can ctv reporters be put in contact with the dealerships? If they are harassing them. Ie vpd at metrotown mitsubishi which clearly crossed departments/city limits or few weeks back they were at lotus? I'm sure people more in the loop with the car industry will hear what other businesses they've stopped at. Maybe with businesses weighing in and complaining this will have more weight
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #2655
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Cain: This vehicle is out of code and needs to be inspected before being allowed back on the road. You must also go to the dealership as they know your car the best. I know they are not going to pass you with any mods.

Also Cain: Are these dealerships stupid? Why are you numb nuts passing so many cars? You guys are incompetent and not doing things correctly. This is a warning to you all as if you do not obey me I will revoke your license!

Lancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #2656
I am Hook'd on RS

This should an interesting topic in court. Fair Justice doesn't need threats and save it for the real criminals

Last edited by Carguru; 03-19-2019 at 09:40 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #2657
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Cain should stick to his photography job cause clearly he is not competent to be a cop, a traffic cop at that.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #2658
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
My theory would be that the traffic enforcement would be the task force handling all the noisy vehicles since it would perfectly fit under their duties to enforce the VI rules in ensuring that vehicles on the road are safe and MVA compliant as opposed to your everyday officer who would be handling other more important calls.

I wish they would've tasked the CVSE instead as they have the proper equipment and are properly trained to determine what vehicles are compliant
According to my mechanic, back in the late 90's & early 00's, that's exactly what happened in Richmond. To help combat and reduce the amount of street racing that was going on. Apparently the police in conjunction with the CVSE would set up a check point, often around the Garden City entrance to the Oak Street bridge, and pull in suspicious cars for inspection by CVSE inspectors, complete with their truck and equipment. At least in that instance it's fair, and not subjective, not to mention financially punitive, as it stands now.
dtaygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #2659
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
What if someone did a bait car for Cain and the rest of them. Have a car that is clearly modified (lowered within MVA spec, exhaust within MVA spec, flashy wheels, stickers, spoiler, different coloured seatbelts, front plate not center mounted, etc etc) but the driver should be absolutely sure all mods are legal. Go cruise around on a nice day and hope they stop you and issue a VI. Then make sure to record everything on video.

Last edited by Energy; 03-19-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #2660
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Hi, that's kind of my plan. I've already talked to my mechanic and scheduled a review of the car, following CSVE guidelines, BEFORE inspection by Subaru, (Richmond). He's been through this scenario on many of his personal cars, as well as customers. He stated, that lots of somewhat minor issues can be brought forward, ie. scored rotors, and obvious oil leaks...my car is in pretty good shape, but makes sense to make sure the dealer isn't going to be dickish. From what I surmise Subaru dealers see lots of VIs these days, and might be pretty picky to avoid being branded complicit.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #2661
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

This is the front page, think you can obtain this online?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #2662
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
What if someone did a bait car for Cain and the rest of them. Have a car that is clearly modified (lowered within MVA spec, exhaust within MVA spec, flashy wheels, stickers, spoiler, different coloured seatbelts, front plate not center mounted, etc etc) but the driver should be absolutely sure all mods are legal. Go cruise around on a nice day and hope they stop you and issue a VI. Then make sure to record everything on video.
The kicker would be if we had a licensed CVSE inspector driving the vehicle, with his handbook on hand.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #2663
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
A couple of pictures that's been passed around social media groups. Appears to be Cain in a Mazda lot. Probably Metrotown?

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #2664

I wish the advisors could just laugh at them and tell them to fuck off. that would have been Goooooold

I've contacted some friends who are close with CVSE inspectors. CVSE senior inspectors do not like it when cops get in the way of their job.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #2665
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

If it's ok, ur email? I'll send pics
Old 03-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #2666
I am Hook'd on RS

A Peace Officer (CVSE) is a person who works to uphold and enforce certain laws and regulations. They are not to be confused with Police Officers, who have a much wider range of authority.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #2667
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Is there any info in the cvse manual regarding coilovers?
Oeks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #2668
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSupa View Post
A couple of pictures that's been passed around social media groups. Appears to be Cain in a Mazda lot. Probably Metrotown?
The backdrop in the 2nd pic looks like it could be Metrotown Mazda.
Google map images aren't up to date so it shows a different signage.
Maybe if someone can make out what those blurry Chinese characters says, they can figure it out.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.22274...7i13312!8i6656
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #2669

it is. the dealership lot is next to this building (same brick and roof)

https://goo.gl/maps/f1vFeGRAFhw
Old 03-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #2670
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,307 Times in 2,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeks1 View Post
Is there any info in the cvse manual regarding coilovers?
I have access to the onine CVSE manual. What exactly are you looking for?

Generally speaking, the suspension section of the CVSE manual doesn't say anything that is specific to coilovers. Off the top of my hat, it focuses more along the lines of struts / shocks / springs etc., and merely indicates that they need to be in a good, functional state. The springs, in particular, cannot allow sagging of more than 38mm / 1.5" from the manufacturer's specified height.

If you can be more specific, I can look it up tonight after all the house chores are done -- but that probably means it'll be on the late side.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #2671
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

You are correct about the flashing fourth brake light, pay too play, fair enough. There is an escalating dispute process, through VPD, to question the officers reason, and validity of his "testing" and assumptions of legality. Problem is, it's this particular officers Hobby horse, and I HIGHLY doubt he'd reconsider. Most likely this will require someone challenging a dubious VI in Supreme court, as mentioned prior. Also, what about a Charter challenge? Isn't this discrimination and profiling? Maybe there's grounds to offer up a challenge based on discrimination based on vehicle of choice? Cause safety sure isn't the real issue...
Old 03-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #2672
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaygolf View Post
You are correct about the flashing fourth brake light, pay too play, fair enough. There is an escalating dispute process, through VPD, to question the officers reason, and validity of his "testing" and assumptions of legality. Problem is, it's this particular officers Hobby horse, and I HIGHLY doubt he'd reconsider. Most likely this will require someone challenging a dubious VI in Supreme court, as mentioned prior. Also, what about a Charter challenge? Isn't this discrimination and profiling? Maybe there's grounds to offer up a challenge based on discrimination based on vehicle of choice? Cause safety sure isn't the real issue...
"Pay to play" is assuming the person knew about the illegal add-on/mod. The fact it's "ANY" mods. I'm sure all their VI tickets are sporty cars/trucks.

Last edited by Carguru; 03-19-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: add
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I have access to the onine CVSE manual. What exactly are you looking for?

Generally speaking, the suspension section of the CVSE manual doesn't say anything that is specific to coilovers. Off the top of my hat, it focuses more along the lines of struts / shocks / springs etc., and merely indicates that they need to be in a good, functional state. The springs, in particular, cannot allow sagging of more than 38mm / 1.5" from the manufacturer's specified height.

If you can be more specific, I can look it up tonight after all the house chores are done -- but that probably means it'll be on the late side.

Just interested if there is any information about them thats Bout it
Oeks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #2674

i spy with my lil eye a black mazdaspeed on their lot, maybe Cain and gang are now prowling dealerships and coming down on modded cars in their lots
Derpdidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #2675
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Just brainstorming.. say you have a perfectly stock vehicle and u receive a vi. Can u drive down to the vpd office and file a complaint in person questioning the fitness of the officer in his or her ability to interpret and enforce the law correctly?
You'll need be in a professional field, but you can safely say "narcissist lamplighter". Anyone giving out unpopular tickets, checking the online forums and getting some gratitude from the reviews.

Last edited by Carguru; 03-19-2019 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spell
This post thanked by: