REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #2626
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroG View Post
Friend reported that Cain and his gang visited Metrotown Mazda today to speak to them passing about passing too many VIs. Also heard that Cain told them that he took the license from an inspector down the street recently.
I like how he treats a 'pass' instantly as a shop/inspector pulling shenanigans.

Evidently he hasn't considered the reason why they've passed so many VIs is because, well, the cars he's been handing VIs out to were perfectly legal to begin with...

And rather than use that visit to clarify with the inspectors and educate his officers on whether they've been correct in their roadside inspections and interpretation of the MVA, he uses it instead as a veiled threat that passing cars will mean the inspectors will have their licenses revoked. Nice.
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #2627
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
It's almost like an ego threat every time a VI gets passed...again, what is there to gain from what is basically profiling?

Last edited by CorneringArtist; 03-18-2019 at 03:54 PM.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #2628
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
It's almost like an ego threat every time a VI gets passed...again, what is there to gain from what is basically profiling?
I starting to question, if Cain... is stable... Starting to look like an obsession... VI everything that not stock, and if it passes, harass the inspectors, because how can i be wrong and everyone trying to cheat the system...

Yep, look like guy have mental problems...
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #2629
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
isnt this beyond the scope of his authority and should be delgated to cvse

I hope metrotown mazda files a complaint with cvse on this

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #2630
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Friend reported that Cain and his gang visited Metrotown Mazda today to speak to them passing about passing too many VIs. Also heard that Cain told them that he took the license from an inspector down the street recently.
Can your friend provide any more info or where he got this source from? Would like to hear a follow up on what the dealer did if he has inside info.

Who's exactly this "inspector" down the street? Or straight up scare tactic from Cain?

Btw, I thought everyone's going to dealers for VI inspections since those were his instructions. So what's he doing meddling with private shop inspectors?

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #2631
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
VPD has jurisdiction in Burnaby?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #2632
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Can your friend provide any more info or where he got this source from? Would like to hear a follow up on what the dealer did if he has inside info.

Who's exactly this "inspector" down the street? Or straight up scare tactic from Cain?

Btw, I thought everyone's going to dealers for VI inspections since those were his instructions. So what's he doing meddling with private shop inspectors?

A mechanic shop down Kingsway DID get their license revoked iirc, PM for shop name cause I dont need to put anyone on blast
PDKGD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #2633
I am Hook'd on RS

If he's accusing the Mazda dealer for "Fraud" passing street legal vehicles...that's beyond his pay scale & lacking of qualifications for a Mechanic/technician. The dealer: "The car was torque properly according to factory specs"

Last edited by Carguru; 03-18-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling/add
Carguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #2634
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
VPD has jurisdiction in Burnaby?
Whether they have jurisdiction in that area or not, they certainly do not have jurisdiction of CVSE.
That would be like the VPD going and shutting down a butcher shop based on VCH violations.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #2635
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Friend reported that Cain and his gang visited Metrotown Mazda today to speak to them passing about passing too many VIs.
Wow, if true, I think that this would be harassment!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:54 PM   #2636
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Hi, that was me you saw. Not a pleasant way to start my week off. At first I was kind of ok with it. I was ticketed for a flashing fourth brake, which by admission is a no no. But the exhaust thing was a bit much. Thanks you confirmed what I thought I saw, when he measured the exhaust very close. Needless to say box 2 inspection for exhaust. At least no tickets. To rub salt in the wound, at least a couple of REALLY loud cars blitzed through the intersection while this was happening, the officer even commented on it....I feel kind of violated, im not a danger to the public, in fact I'm a health care worker.
dtaygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM   #2637
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaygolf View Post
Hi, that was me you saw. Not a pleasant way to start my week off. At first I was kind of ok with it. I was ticketed for a flashing fourth brake, which by admission is a no no. But the exhaust thing was a bit much. Thanks you confirmed what I thought I saw, when he measured the exhaust very close. Needless to say box 2 inspection for exhaust. At least no tickets. To rub salt in the wound, at least a couple of REALLY loud cars blitzed through the intersection while this was happening, the officer even commented on it....I feel kind of violated, im not a danger to the public, in fact I'm a health care worker.
Hopefully, not too close. That would send the numbers way higher.
Locate the microphone 19 1/2 inches behind the tail pipe at a 45-degree angle to the opening. The microphone cannot be in the direct gas path from the exhaust.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #2638
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I think the follow up news story on this should be related to the shops who got visited by VPD. And hopefully one of them can provide info on the types of questions VPD was asking. And why they were pushing this rather than Cvse who issues the licenses.

Sounds like bullshit and intimidation to me.

Whoever said above rather than using the situation of sitting across from a licensed tech as a learning opportunity. They are using it as a scare tactic to push the technician to see things their way. I hope that's not the same tactic they use when interrogating a witness or In a courtroom.

Like fuck this is the Police were talking about. And this whole thing makes them sound like thugs on a street corner. Disgusting behaviour.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #2639
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
Watched a slightly lowered BRZ with an aftermarket exhaust system get pulled over by a member of the VPD traffic division at the intersection of Burrard and Robson yesterday afternoon. The officer proceeded to verify the exhaust noise with his device roughly a foot away from the the driver side exhaust tip in downtown traffic. Wife thought the car was noticeably quieter than the officer's motorcycle, and she is not wrong.

Serious question. Should I expect legal repercussion if I approached the officer and offered my professional opinion as a CVSE authorized vehicle inspector in a situation like this? The whole thing was painful to watch and honestly ruined my day.
Hi again JL9000 I should clarify a few things. I was issued a violation for a flashing brake light. Fair enough, that is technically illegal, though I've had lots of traffic officers behind me, primarily in Richmond, and not a peep. The exhaust sound prompted the VI, and as you noted, not loud at all. Haha, if it ruined your day, it really ruined mine. Was minding my own business, and driving like a saint. My understanding of the officers Db meter, it's more a prop than anything, because all he needs is reasonable suspicion to issue the VI, regardless. Ironic your a CVSE Inspector, because he even handed me a two page double sided copy of CVSE VI regs and rules, along with the tickets. This officer really had everything set up. Trolling for anything that looks remotely "tuned", at a busy downtown intersection, on a beautiful sunny day when "nice cars" are cruising. And of course it was " that infamous" officer. I noticed, in my rear view, his buddy officer pulled up l behind me later, and I couldn't help noticing the knowing smile and cute little wave, from his buddy, like it's a great game or something. I'll comply with inspection of course. But what a royal pain in the ass. Really puts a damper on car hobby😒
dtaygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #2640
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

Didn't this also happen to a dealer that passed a used BRZ/86 on this forum?
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #2641
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Avoid driving in Vancouver in any flashy cars at all cost for now. Taking a cab thru Vancouver would be cheaper than a VI.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #2642
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
Avoid driving in Vancouver in any flashy cars at all cost for now. Taking a cab thru Vancouver would be cheaper than a VI.
If the cab actually shows up. I booked a cab from McClure's with more than 24 hours notice. It never came and the operator told me I was basically out of luck. I almost missed picking up my car from the shop because of this. Imagine trying to catch a flight or what not. Terrible service. Vancouver needs Uber ASAP.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #2643
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
if these climate change guys can shut down w georgia, lets shut down w georgia too

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #2644
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Sorry to hear about your poor experience.

I agree with your sentiments that the dB meter is really more of a props than anything else for the exact reasons that you have cited. If you think your vehicle will pass inspection in its current state -- ie. without changing out anything, I'd encourage you to take the vehicle in as it is. Then assuming you passed the inspection, you'd be on solid grounds to file a complaint on the said officer as well as the unjust VI process (since there is no recourse for the vehicle owner short of a supreme court challenge). The more legitimate and documented complaints we can log, the higher the chance we can get the VPD to stop being so ridiculously heavy-handed.

Quote:
Hi again JL9000 I should clarify a few things. I was issued a violation for a flashing brake light. Fair enough, that is technically illegal, though I've had lots of traffic officers behind me, primarily in Richmond, and not a peep. The exhaust sound prompted the VI, and as you noted, not loud at all. Haha, if it ruined your day, it really ruined mine. Was minding my own business, and driving like a saint. My understanding of the officers Db meter, it's more a prop than anything, because all he needs is reasonable suspicion to issue the VI, regardless. Ironic your a CVSE Inspector, because he even handed me a two page double sided copy of CVSE VI regs and rules, along with the tickets. This officer really had everything set up. Trolling for anything that looks remotely "tuned", at a busy downtown intersection, on a beautiful sunny day when "nice cars" are cruising. And of course it was " that infamous" officer. I noticed, in my rear view, his buddy officer pulled up l behind me later, and I couldn't help noticing the knowing smile and cute little wave, from his buddy, like it's a great game or something. I'll comply with inspection of course. But what a royal pain in the ass. Really puts a damper on car hobby��

Last edited by Traum; 03-18-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2019, 10:24 PM   #2645
I don't get it

Quote:
I was issued a violation for a flashing brake light. Fair enough, that is technically illegal, though I've had lots of traffic officers behind me, primarily in Richmond, and not a peep.
You both knew this cannot be disputed and that is why you were served a VT. Pay to play.

Quote:
The exhaust sound prompted the VI, and as you noted, not loud at all. Haha, if it ruined your day, it really ruined mine. Was minding my own business, and driving like a saint. My understanding of the officers Db meter, it's more a prop than anything, because all he needs is reasonable suspicion to issue the VI, regardless. Ironic your a CVSE Inspector, because he even handed me a two page double sided copy of CVSE VI regs and rules, along with the tickets. This officer really had everything set up.
Unfortunately, this is the loophole being exploited. If the officer served you a VT, you can likely and successfully dispute it, and he knows that. This loophole allows you no legal recourse while demanding zero accountability on his end.

Quote:
I noticed, in my rear view, his buddy officer pulled up l behind me later, and I couldn't help noticing the knowing smile and cute little wave, from his buddy, like it's a great game or something.
I saw this as well, and I am truly sorry you were put through this farce, despite your non-compliant fourth brake light. I sincerely encourage you to at least consider removing the auxiliary brake light, passing the inspection with your aftermarket exhaust, and filing a complaint with the VPD.
JL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:50 PM   #2646

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
I saw this as well, and I am truly sorry you were put through this farce, despite your non-compliant fourth brake light. I sincerely encourage you to at least consider removing the auxiliary brake light, passing the inspection with your aftermarket exhaust, and filing a complaint with the VPD.
If possible, I think multiple venues should be used -- as in, filing a complaint with both the VPD, as well as submitting a service & policy complaint to the OPCC (Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner) regarding the lack of recourse (and therefore justice) with the VI notices & orders.

The reasons for filing a complaint with the VPD is obvious -- it goes on their records, and draws attention on the officer from the higher ups on the issue. I feel like a service and policy complaint with the OPCC is also useful because it necessitates the Police Board to get involved. Organizationally, the CoV mayor is the Police Board chair, and the board is supposed to direct the VPD on where they should be focusing their police efforts and priorities. If we keep hammering on the point that VI's are unjust because there is no practical recourse for the wrongly accused to pursue, I can see a glimmer of hope that something can be changed.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #2647
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
Quote:
Hi again JL9000 I should clarify a few things. I was issued a violation for a flashing brake light. Fair enough, that is technically illegal, though I've had lots of traffic officers behind me, primarily in Richmond, and not a peep. The exhaust sound prompted the VI, and as you noted, not loud at all. Haha, if it ruined your day, it really ruined mine. Was minding my own business, and driving like a saint. My understanding of the officers Db meter, it's more a prop than anything, because all he needs is reasonable suspicion to issue the VI, regardless. Ironic your a CVSE Inspector, because he even handed me a two page double sided copy of CVSE VI regs and rules, along with the tickets. This officer really had everything set up. Trolling for anything that looks remotely "tuned", at a busy downtown intersection, on a beautiful sunny day when "nice cars" are cruising. And of course it was " that infamous" officer. I noticed, in my rear view, his buddy officer pulled up l behind me later, and I couldn't help noticing the knowing smile and cute little wave, from his buddy, like it's a great game or something. I'll comply with inspection of course. But what a royal pain in the ass. Really puts a damper on car hobby😒
Hey are you able to scan/take a photo of the the CVSE VI regs and rules sheet the officer handed out to you? I'm curious to see what these traffic cops are going with.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:12 PM   #2648
I am Hook'd on RS

You can also dispute it online
CVSE - VIP Online System
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/dispute.../flowchart.pdf

Last edited by Carguru; 03-18-2019 at 11:18 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-18-2019, 11:42 PM   #2649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguru View Post
Another member has brought this so-called "dispute process" up before, but unfortunately, in the context of the VI's that we are facing, it is essentially completely useless even though the wording of the dispute process suggests that it applies to Notices & Orders (ie. VI's).

According to the flow chart, the chain of dispute starts with the issuing officer, followed by the supervisor, then the local manager, and alternative CVSE manager. Complaining to the issuing officer is useless because he is the one that issued the ticket. Anecdotes have also suggested that questions and challenges from the driver have the potential to change a Box 2 VI into a Box 1 VI (where plates might get seized and the driver has to tow the vehicle away).

Our famous VI officer is reportedly a supervisor himself, so good luck disputing the notice & order to him.

I'm not sure how the next 2 levels would work, but if we turn to the FAQ section:

Quote:
Q. Will CVSE pay for my expenses incurred if the dispute if resolved in my favour?

A. The policy does not allow for financial compensation. Should a dispute be resolved in the driver/carriers favour then CVSE will remove any carrier profile points that have been associated to that specific Out of Service designation. There are no points associated with a Notice and Order under the NSC.
With a VI, there is no point (haha) in going along with the dispute process at all.

And then it goes back to what the traffic lawyer from the CTV news article says -- challenge it in the Supreme Court, and get ready to pay big bucks (along with sinking gobs and gobs of time into it).
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #2650
Need to Seek Professional Help

Just brainstorming.. say you have a perfectly stock vehicle and u receive a vi. Can u drive down to the vpd office and file a complaint in person questioning the fitness of the officer in his or her ability to interpret and enforce the law correctly?

Last edited by Alpine; 03-19-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Alpine is online now   Reply With Quote