REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #2676
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaygolf View Post
According to my mechanic, back in the late 90's & early 00's, that's exactly what happened in Richmond. To help combat and reduce the amount of street racing that was going on. Apparently the police in conjunction with the CVSE would set up a check point, often around the Garden City entrance to the Oak Street bridge, and pull in suspicious cars for inspection by CVSE inspectors, complete with their truck and equipment. At least in that instance it's fair, and not subjective, not to mention financially punitive, as it stands now.
A few other VI reports have now noted that Cain refers to the increase of noise complaints in the Vancouver area for the reason behind the VI enforcement. Way I still see it is the VI ticket provides officers with a liability free way of enforcing the noise complaints.
Advertisement

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #2677
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
A few other VI reports have now noted that Cain refers to the increase of noise complaints in the Vancouver area for the reason behind the VI enforcement. Way I still see it is the VI ticket provides officers with a liability free way of enforcing the noise complaints.
That's the same every year in the downtown Vancouver - drunks yelling, events, protests, traffic, honking, screeching tires and car/motorcycles/trucks/mopeds muffler noises. Its more about the type of ticket issued, which it is a draconian one. Just don't live in the city. You can expect a good visual inspection in a sports car/lifted truck and bonus points with visible minorities.

Last edited by Carguru; 03-19-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: add
Carguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #2678
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
What if someone did a bait car for Cain and the rest of them. Have a car that is clearly modified (lowered within MVA spec, exhaust within MVA spec, flashy wheels, stickers, spoiler, different coloured seatbelts, front plate not center mounted, etc etc) but the driver should be absolutely sure all mods are legal. Go cruise around on a nice day and hope they stop you and issue a VI. Then make sure to record everything on video.
I think the Subaru BRZ TS edition would be a good candidate for that and since it is from factory Subaru too.
Hcoreposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #2679
I am Hook'd on RS

Its harassment - people aren't given respect and accused of a violation. Thus, keep the "problem" away
Old 03-19-2019, 11:26 PM   #2680
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Can your friend provide any more info or where he got this source from? Would like to hear a follow up on what the dealer did if he has inside info.

Who's exactly this "inspector" down the street? Or straight up scare tactic from Cain?

Btw, I thought everyone's going to dealers for VI inspections since those were his instructions. So what's he doing meddling with private shop inspectors?

I don't have the permission to reveal a lot of insight or details from my friend. I can say that it was confirmed that Cain himself and another officer paid the visit and that the dealership definitely bent over for Cain. Doesn't seem like there is any sign of Cain stopping since hes giving out VIs and making sure that they don't pass by threatening inspectors by revoking their licenses.
KuroG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2019, 01:37 AM   #2681
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^ People getting VI should go to the dealership from some of the larger auto groups in the Lower Mainland, ie. Opexxxx , JIM XXXX and Destinxxx Auto Groups. Unlike Metrotown Mazda, which I believe is an individual family owned franchise?

I bet Cain wouldn't dare to harass them, as these Auto Groups are influential players in the industry in BC. Pretty sure they have connections with the appropriate authorities if their employees were threaten by Cain's groundless accusations.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:53 AM   #2682
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroG View Post
I don't have the permission to reveal a lot of insight or details from my friend. I can say that it was confirmed that Cain himself and another officer paid the visit and that the dealership definitely bent over for Cain. Doesn't seem like there is any sign of Cain stopping since hes giving out VIs and making sure that they don't pass by threatening inspectors by revoking their licenses.
Warned or threatened? This should be noted and brought to the media's attention.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #2683
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thanks for that
dtaygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #2684
I am Hook'd on RS

FYI - If anyone gets pulled over by a LEO and have a dashcam / phone recording audio/video. You'll have to notify them "this interaction is being recorded"

Canada calls upon law enforcement officials to recognize that photographing and filming in public places is in the public interest, and to ensure that their personnel are familiar with the laws concerning public photography/filming and photography/filming of police officers. We encourage people to continue to exercise their right to take photographs and make films in public, to photograph or film actions committed by law enforcement that may be worthy of concern, and to publish these images, secure in the knowledge that they are within their rights to do so.

LEO are public figures in their twisted term. "paid to play" = "pay to play" to buy a sports car with mods
Tickets/Violations aren't games people play with.

Last edited by Carguru; 03-20-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: add/spell
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #2685
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
...that being said. If one is able to record public actions, do you actually have to state you are recording? It seems you may get a much different reaction from the officer.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #2686
I am Hook'd on RS

"Out of Specification" any failure of the product to meet defined specifications. The term used for issuing VI ticket is not 100% correct either. Aftermarket parts add-ons are generally OEM or better in quality/performance.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #2687
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
...that being said. If one is able to record public actions, do you actually have to state you are recording? It seems you may get a much different reaction from the officer.
They'll be just like in the "DDE" video. They'll suggest you don't film them and be intimidating. Whereas, a phone in a fixed holder or a passenger filming.

It is also legal in Canada for someone to record a conversation without you knowing as long as “the party recording it knows it's being recorded.” “You can walk around with a tape recorder all day long if you wanted to in Canada,” Levitt said. ... In terms of criminal law, it's not illegal.

Last edited by Carguru; 03-20-2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #2688
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroG View Post
Got secondary news that Cain and Co did pay the dealership a visit, the service advisor approved it even though it shouldn't have been, and that "nobody likes the tech who inspected it".

Source says that, that car should not have passed.

I'm skeptical because I doubt that anyone at Metrotown Mazda would risk their jobs for helping someone pass VIs. Also skeptical about source b/c he's heavily VPD biased.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 03-20-2019 at 10:07 AM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #2689
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Would be interesting to know if that car got another vi or if they just left them alone and went to the dealer instead
Oeks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #2690
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Got secondary news that Cain and Co did pay the dealership a visit, the service advisor approved it even though it shouldn't have been, and that "nobody likes the tech who inspected it".

Source says that, that car should not have passed.

I'm skeptical because I doubt that anyone at Metrotown Mazda would risk their jobs for helping someone pass VIs. Also skeptical about source b/c he's heavily cop biased.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Exactly, who would want to commit fraud.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #2691
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Well, guess it's about time for me to try and step back into this as I've been getting lazy and procrastinating with writing up my police complaint. (It's been more than a month, sorry Traum.) I'll try to work on it these following weeks, and see if I can muster up the courage to do an interview with CTV about my situation and try and shed some more light on all of this.

Also, @KuroG, we may have the same mutual friend who works at Mazda, as he snapped me about Cain being there on the same day you posted in this thread.

Another point I have to prove is that I did get my car inspected by a large auto group, Jim Pattinson Toyota, so I hope Officer Cain wasn't just expecting me to keep quiet about passing WITH a modified exhaust system and not having to change a single thing.

Last edited by joonzn6; 03-20-2019 at 11:09 AM.
joonzn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #2692
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzn6 View Post
Well, guess it's about time for me to try and step back into this as I've been getting lazy and procrastinating with writing up my police complaint. (It's been more than a month, sorry Traum.) I'll try to work on it these following weeks, and see if I can muster up the courage to do an interview with CTV about my situation and try and shed some more light on all of this.
Yeah, nothing is going to come of this.
And therein lies the problem, "I've been getting lazy and procrastinating". If you don't care enough to do what you said you would do while you were emotional, well, you just wasted everyone's time.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #2693
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
There is a further issue developing in that if Cain & Co is putting pressure on the dealerships/shops in regards to passing too many cars or passing too many close to stock (but legal) cars, the dealerships may refuse to do any VIs.

In that case, who do you go to, if there is only 1 dealership and they refuse to do it. Re: Porsche case. Again, there are differences in the MVA and the CVSE, which is why some lightly modified cars still pass the VI.

I'm speculating here, but it sounds like Cain wants all cars that he doesn't like off the road - permanently. Ironic too, some reports made to me has said that he has a lifted truck himself and a modified S4/A4 wagon (also may be rumors here)
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #2694
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
And therein lies the problem, "I've been getting lazy and procrastinating". If you don't care enough to do what you said you would do while you were emotional, well, you just wasted everyone's time.

Once a vehicle has been ticketed with a VI -
The car's recorded will show up on CARFAX and ICBC reports.
https://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registr...y-reports.aspx

Last edited by Carguru; 03-20-2019 at 12:44 PM. Reason: add
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #2695
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post

People have real lives man. Do you really need to be another trollface in here, or do you think it would be more helpful to offer insight, suggestions and experience in here to help the situation?
He hasn’t taken any of yours or my time by saying he’s going to follow up for us. He doesn’t know us or owe us anything, but it certainly would be nice if he stepped up like traum and bicbaws have.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #2696
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
There is a further issue developing in that if Cain & Co is putting pressure on the dealerships/shops in regards to passing too many cars or passing too many close to stock (but legal) cars, the dealerships may refuse to do any VIs.
The way I see it is, if a police officer issuing VI's is going to the dealership to "talk to" the CVSE licenced inspector, that in itself is already higher inappropriate, if not a breach of their conducts & procedures. In my mind, this is little different than how the SNC scandal is playing out right now -- with JT and the PMO pressuring JWR to "do the right thing" -- ie. the thing whose outcome is what JT & PMO wants. It's a plain and simple violation of the separation of powers.

I'd really hate to go through another complaint process again, but if KuroG or joonzn6 can put me in touch with your friend in the know, I can talk to him and try to gain a better understanding of what might have transpired. And then if I can find an argument strong enough to support a complaint, I will prepare another one.

Quick note to joonzn6 -- as much as everyone would love to see more valid complaints getting written up and sent to the VPD, at the end of the day, each of us only have so much time and energy we can dedicate to do additional "stuff", and writing something up like this is as much fun as getting your teeth pulled.

I hope you'd be able to find time to do so, but please don't turn it into something that you're pressured into doing.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #2697
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:

In that case, who do you go to, if there is only 1 dealership and they refuse to do it. Re: Porsche case. Again, there are differences in the MVA and the CVSE, which is why some lightly modified cars still pass the VI.

I'm speculating here, but it sounds like Cain wants all cars that he doesn't like off the road - permanently. Ironic too, some reports made to me has said that he has a lifted truck himself and a modified S4/A4 wagon (also may be rumors here)
Ya its not just the issue of getting the VI now. Cain is making sure that modified vehicles wont pass or won’t even been looked at by dealerships unless put back to bone stock. From some stories it even mentions that Cain threatened victims with a big ticket if they are caught or suspected of putting their car back to stock to pass and revert back to modified parts. Look at all the independent tuning shops now. I have heard some have lost their inspectors license or no longer do inspections because of visits by Cain so now its the Dealerships turn to bend over for Cain. Funny thing is that when people try to reason with them about the MVA, they just say “the ____ dealership inspector is the expert and he will decide if its legal” but now they are lecturing the “experts” themseves.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #2698
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I don’t quite understand the people who say nothing will come of this.

Seriously, do all of you give up that easy? You pay these idiots salaries.

Write some professional letters, file complaints and don’t look like a retard while your at it. The people who make the most noise get heard. Silly but true.

I’m quite curious what the VI statistics will look like after this nice stretch of weather. The nice cars must be coming on the road soon. Eventually these guys will pull over the wrong semi retired lawyer who loves his cars and won’t mind spending a few hours and dollars setting these guys straight.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 03-20-2019 at 01:26 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #2699
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I don’t quite understand the people who say nothing will come of this.

Seriously, do all of you give up that easy? You pay these idiots salaries.

Write some professional letters, file complaints and don’t look like a retard while your at it. The people who make the most noise get heard. Silly but true.

I’m quite curious what the VI statistics will look like after this nice stretch of weather. The nice cars must be coming on the road soon. Eventually these guys will pull over the wrong semi retired lawyer who loves his cars and won’t mind spending a few hours and dollars setting these guys straight.
The 2019 Vancouver Auto show has been pretty bare. No off road vehicles & modified cars. Only high end, electric and average vehicles. Compared to the previous year.

Last edited by Carguru; 03-20-2019 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #2700
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguru View Post
The 2019 Vancouver Auto show has been pretty bare. No off road vehicles & modified cars. Only high end, electric and average vehicles. Compared to the previous year.
Truck Day for outside display is on the 21st and the Tuner/modified display is 22nd and 23rd. Lets wait and see if there are any troubles those days.
This post thanked by: