REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #2526
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
My theory would be that the traffic enforcement would be the task force handling all the noisy vehicles since it would perfectly fit under their duties to enforce the VI rules in ensuring that vehicles on the road are safe and MVA compliant as opposed to your everyday officer who would be handling other more important calls.

I wish they would've tasked the CVSE instead as they have the proper equipment and are properly trained to determine what vehicles are compliant
I wish the CVSE would investigate my employer.

My work van has had an ignition coil failure all year, that the mechanic can't fix, and he keeps making me take it back to him.

The car feels like it's rattling apart at 70, the alignment is off, none of my power locks work, the fire extinguisher is expired, my first aid kit is empty and he wont replace it.
Advertisement
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #2527
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
Quote:
The VPD said it doesn’t want to speculate why the numbers have spiked.

It said the notice and order is a way for officers to keeping Vancouver roads safe.

“Our officers are dedicated to making our city roadways as safe as possible,” said Sgt. Jason Robillard.

“If our officers are noticing an increase in unsafe vehicles after education and enforcement efforts, then we may choose to issue a notice and order, ensuring that the unsafe vehicle is inspected by a licensed mechanic.”
As someone who has spent a bit of time into the issue, I find the comments from Sgt Robillard to be rather insulting. When there is concrete and irrefutable evidence that VPD officer(s) are mis-interpreting and mis-enforcing the MVA, it boils me up to see the VPD spokesperson mention "education" and "vehicle safety" when it is the VPD officer(s) that are un-educated about vehicle safety laws, and yet they are the ones enforcing it.

Cho's video, a clip of which made it into the CTV news story, has one blatant example of how a VPD officer has mis-interpreted the MVA, and is mis-enforced the MVA. As I have mentioned in previous posts, the camber clause in the MVA (second clause of Section 18) specifically says that the amount of camber present needs to be out of adjustment, and not just visually apparent.

From Sproadicmotion's video, there is again concrete and irrefutable evidence that the VPD officer in it (likely Cain?) has mis-interpreted and mis-enforced the MVA. The below are two excerpts from my OPCC complaint:

Quote:
As a concrete example of a VPD officer mis-interpreting and mis-enforcing Section 18 of the MVA / Section 4, item #8 of the CVSE inspection manual (regarding camber), we can refer to the following video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWsIrRo_YWM

In the video clip between 1:08 to 4:38, a local Vancouver driver has been stopped for a number of MVA violations by a police officer. From 2:52 to 2:56, the police officer can be identified as a member of the VPD through the badges on his jacket.

Among the allegations made by the VPD officer, excessive camber is one of the MVA violations. This is discussed during the exchange between 2:32 to 2:46. Please note that I am not questioning the validity of the excessive camber allegations here. Instead, the item that catches my attention is the mis-interpretation of Section 18 of the MVA, the complete disregard for Section 4, item #8 of the CVSE inspection manual, and the subsequent enforcement of this mis-representation / complete disregard. In the verbal exchange between 2:32 to 2:46, the VPD officer can be heard saying:

“Naked eye… camber… tires… your wheels… you can’t have any… that is visible to the naked eye, alright? So I don’t even need to get a tool to measure the camber.”

Clearly, this is not what Section 18 of the MVA nor Section 4, item #8 of the CVSE inspection manual has stated. It is obvious that the VPD officer’s interpretation of MVA Section 18 does not allow for *any* visible wheel camber, and he is ignoring the requirements described by the CVSE inspection manual. Based on the actual wording of the legislation / regulations, I find it impossible to agree with the VPD officer’s version of the law. To me, this suggests poor and inadequate training on the VPD’s part, as well as an incorrect personal interpretation of the MVA / CVSE requirements and its enforcement by the VPD officer.
Quote:
To make matters worse, certain VPD officers are enforcing their own personal and arbitrary interpretations of the MVA / CVSE inspection standards when the officer’s interpretation is clearly at odds with what can be found in those legislations and regulations. Referring back to the same video clip as I have previously mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWsIrRo_YWM

you can see from 2:47 to 2:58 that the VPD officer is obviously referring to the CVSE inspection requirement Section 4, item 2b as I have indicated previously. As you may recall, the regulation is only applicable to the front wheels. However, in the video, the VPD officer is clearly motioning and referring to the rear wheels of the vehicle where the steering mechanisms are nowhere to be found. As such, I think the example shows the VPD officer is either misunderstanding the application of the inspection requirement, or intentionally mis-interpreting the inspection requirements to suit his needs at the moment. But regardless of what his intentions might be, he is mis-enforcing a legal requirement when that requirement is clearly not applicable to the situation at hand. In my opinion, that is a highly unprofessional behaviour coming from the field officer.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #2528
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
dude there are threads of people complaining about people driving on the bridges because of noisy exhausts.
A long time ago in what now feels like a parallel universe, Vancouver once hosted a race event.

Then people complained and it was over after 14 years. Half of the wins on this circuit were by Lola (RIP).

We went from watching some of the most skilled drivers on this planet to retards on two wheels who can't keep in their own brightly marked, green-as-money lanes.

Times have changed and unfortunately these changes are usually spearheaded by a vocal minority who scream "I'm offended and complaining' which leads to sapping the existence out of something which the vocal majority had enjoyed for years.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 PM   #2529
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

it ended due to false creek development.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #2530
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Holy fuck 234 people on this thread. The traction a news piece brings is crazy.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #2531
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
VIs are funding future bike lanes, believe it

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #2532
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
"The VPD said it doesn’t want to speculate why the numbers have spiked.

It said the notice and order is a way for officers to keeping Vancouver roads safe."

How can VPD justify VI'ing stock sportcars "not safe"?...

I want to ask VPD about the few cars that passed VI with their aftermarket exhaust systems unchanged, since when did our law make our citizens guilty until proven innocent?

Sounds like VPD is trying to sway the public onto their side by using the word "safe".

Edit: Sorry, had to re-word it since I was typing it out in frustration haha.
With that being said, I think the CTV article could use more visual components.

For example, a stock sports car that's subject to a VI verses that super rusted out Honda CRV that was on sale on Craigslist
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #2533
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,153 Times in 339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
With that being said, I think the CTV article could use more visual components.

For example, a stock sports car that's subject to a VI verses that super rusted out Honda CRV that was on sale on Craigslist
Maybe a member who got a VI on their sports car... but also has a beater with busted lights and safety equipment could bring both cars?
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #2534
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I went to high school with Angela. She's come a long way.

In related news - my dad must've encountered Cain last weekend. He came home with a ticket and 2 dings from driving my car, that I can barely read.

The item that I could make out was loud exhaust - which in fact is afermarket and audibly louder than normal, but there was no measurement of proof Handed out a ticket and was on his merry way.

The other I think because my 03 impreza (the vehicle in question) didn't have plastic coverings for the fog lights? Not sure what my dad meant - His English isn't the greatest.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:28 AM   #2535
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Holy fuck 234 people on this thread. The traction a news piece brings is crazy.

I think we hit 198 or smt prior to the news piece. You can quote me on that cause I'm here every day LOOOOL

-

Whenever someone gets an invalid VI, please direct them to post in this thread with a photo/video and description of what happened. When it's posted across Facebook, it can get lost. At least here, we can do a quick search.

Also, who said RS was ded HAH
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2019, 01:05 AM   #2536
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
A long time ago in what now feels like a parallel universe, Vancouver once hosted a race event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJyWKz-44dA

Then people complained and it was over after 14 years. Half of the wins on this circuit were by Lola (RIP).

We went from watching some of the most skilled drivers on this planet to retards on two wheels who can't keep in their own brightly marked, green-as-money lanes.

Times have changed and unfortunately these changes are usually spearheaded by a vocal minority who scream "I'm offended and complaining' which leads to sapping the existence out of something which the vocal majority had enjoyed for years.
It's so cool to see BC place through the onboard view
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #2537
I don't get it

The simple solution is just to file a complaint if you feel you were VI without just cause. This will be a way to make an impact in terms of stats.

The CTV article showed Sept to Dec VI count were 485. If just 20% were issued without cause, that is 97 complaints. These 97 complaints would surly raise a review.
bb4srv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #2538
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Make your voice heard. These road Nazis think they have a final solution to us car enthusiasts. They may say things like we are dangerous and this and that is illegal. But remember, in 1939, Hitler said the same thing about the JEWS.
yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #2539
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4srv View Post
The simple solution is just to file a complaint if you feel you were VI without just cause. This will be a way to make an impact in terms of stats.

The CTV article showed Sept to Dec VI count were 485. If just 20% were issued without cause, that is 97 complaints. These 97 complaints would surly raise a review.
I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice.

The complaints need to be warranted. If there is no clear basis for a complaint, then it's worthless.

If VPD is issuing notices with orders that state you must go to a dealer or other nonsense like that, that's an issue a judge should weigh in on.

The problem here is that we have laws that are unclear or unreasonable, and we have the police making up their own laws.

For example, having a car with "visible camber" or being ordered to have the vehicle dealer inspected when there is no dealer that does inspections. These guys are using the rules in ways that were never intended.

The only way to really get this straightened out is through a judicial review. This is what the lawyer in the CTV story was explaining. Once a Judge weighs in, that actually becomes part of the law.

For example, if a Judge ruled that you can take your car to any designated inspection facility despite being ordered to the dealer, the police would have to abide by that. If they didn't, that would be a very clear basis for a complaint and the VPD would need to take it seriously or they could face legal consequences.
Brąv3_51r_ƦοβϊИ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #2540
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,153 Times in 339 Posts
I've been actively commenting on the Reddit thread.... the following 3 messages seem to be working pretty well

1) There are definitely some modded cars that were given legitimate VIs
2) The concern is around VIs that are being given to stock bars based on a misguided and misinformed understanding of the rules
3) There seem to be vehicles with legitimate safety issues that don't seem to get VIs
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #2541
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Would the guys from MM (supercar only imaginable) or other well off members be able to fund/crowdsource the money needed to hire a lawyer to help with this case?

I'm sure there are car enthusiast lawyers who would want to step in, cause their high-end sports car might be affected too from Mr.Cain and co!
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #2542
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
2) The concern is around VIs that are being given to stock bars based on a misguided and misinformed understanding of the rules
The cops aren't misguided at all. They know exactly what they are doing. They are using a creative interpretation of the law to target vehicles with louder than average exhaust and they are forcing inspections at specific facilities to shop for an outcome. This isn't ignorance. This is a well thought out, planned and coordinated effort to target modified vehicles.

The issue at hand is that the law isn't specific here. There are no rulings or regulations that say a cop can't write a notice and order that says "take it to the dealer only". Things like "visible camber" aren't defined and the issue of cars designed with visible camber hasn't been reviewed.
Brąv3_51r_ƦοβϊИ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #2543
I am Hook'd on RS

​Just a quick google on BC VI's - widespread provincial
Ticket revenue/points all are paid directly to ICBC
Sporty cars are highly visible, which are easy targets of potential modded tickets and MVA.

Motor Vehicle Act section
​Description
​Fine
​Point level
Improper display of plate
$230
​0
Illegible plate
$230
​0
7A.01
Unnecessary noise
$109
​3
​30.10(2)
​Fail to display "L" sign in violation of driver's licence condition
​$109
​0
​30.10(4)
​Fail to display "N" sign in violation of driver's licence condition
​$109
​0
Fail to slow down or move over near stopped official vehicle
$173
​3
Carguru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #2544
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
Not questioning your numbers here, but we gotta keep the facts straight.

VI's do not generate revenue to the prov gov, ICBC, or the police, since the inspection fees are all collected by the inspection facilities, and those are private businesses.

Revenue from traffic violation tickets, on the other hand, goes towards the province.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguru View Post
​Just a quick google on BC VI's - widespread provincial
Ticket revenue/points all are paid directly to ICBC
Sporty cars are highly visible, which are easy targets of potential modded tickets and MVA.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #2545
I am Hook'd on RS

Last edited by Carguru; 03-12-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: relogged in - ended up a double post
Carguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #2546
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Thank you for this BC Law and fellow members, I am now going to try to get my case to re-open given now there is evidence that sports car are being targeted based on the statistic.
JCWMINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #2547
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Not questioning your numbers here, but we gotta keep the facts straight.

VI's do not generate revenue to the prov gov, ICBC, or the police, since the inspection fees are all collected by the inspection facilities, and those are private businesses.

Revenue from traffic violation tickets, on the other hand, goes towards the province.
I thought some people were both getting a ticket and a notice. No?
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #2548
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Make your voice heard. These road Nazis think they have a final solution to us car enthusiasts. They may say things like we are dangerous and this and that is illegal. But remember, in 1939, Hitler said the same thing about the JEWS.
What the ****?

If you're not trolling, you are truly a sad individual... equating the wholesale slaughter of Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, mentally ill, etc. with a handful of police officers acting like dicks.

I'm going to assume you're trolling because no one is this stupid.
E30_lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #2549
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,725 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
You are bat shit insane if you are comparing 2019 VPD VI to 1940's Germany.
You are fucking nuts, trying to be edgy or both. That's highly offensive. Something tells me you read 2 pages of a WW2 book if you think this is ever a close comparison.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #2550
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
lol, missed that post.

yourself, you really need to relax.

A lot of your posts in here are pretty stupid or direct insults to Cain & co or VPD with some kind of sexual reference. Considering this forum is being viewed by a larger public mass now, chill out. It's only making this thread look worse.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: