REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #376
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
https://twitter.com/Dave_Khan/status...557312/photo/1
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #377
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
As I said, these guys are all the same. If you think the Conservatives would've handled this any different, you're out to lunch. Only difference here is JT isn't slick, the Cons are more savvy and better at their corruption.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #378
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,307 Times in 2,514 Posts
https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/04...over-pipeline/

Quote:
Jason Kenney says he's unafraid to turn off oil taps to B.C. over pipeline

MEDICINE HAT – United Conservative Leader Jason Kenney says if he were Alberta’s next premier he would bring in a law to turn off the oil taps to British Columbia and wouldn’t be afraid to use it.

In a speech to supporters in Medicine Hat, Kenney said the NDP brought in legislation after pressure from the UCP but never proclaimed it or used it.

Kenney says he would proclaim the law in his first day on the job if his party were to be elected on April 16.

He says he would make it clear that Alberta would be prepared to scale back exports of its crude to B.C. refineries if the government there continued to obstruct the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

Kenney says gasoline prices have hit an all-time high of $1.67 a litre in B.C. and predicted they would remain high if Alberta were to turn off the taps.

Earlier Monday, NDP Leader Rachel Notley said she’s confident the pipeline expansion will be approved by the federal government by the end of May.
Lovely... so both Notley and Kenney are dickwads... I hope they both rot in hell...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #379
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

Lovely... so both Notley and Kenney are dickwads... I hope they both rot in hell...
y , because they r looking out for thr voter base? and province?
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #380
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Quote:

The tree huggers in BC deserve it.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
y , because they r looking out for thr voter base? and province?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
The tree huggers in BC deserve it.
We've been through this discussion before when Notley was upping the ante. There is little point in rehashing the same rhetoric.

The matter was already resolved at the federal level last year, with the Federal Court of Appeal overturning the National Energy Board's approval of the pipeline expansion, citing that the government did not sufficiently consult First Nations groups and assess its environmental impact. As a country operating on the rule of law, we are supposed to follow process. There is no point in pulling colourful political stunts, esp when doing so will only harm the residents of both provinces.

IMO, Kenney's threats right now will essentially amount to entering negotiations in bad faith. When dealing with dickheads like this, there is no point in negotiating since they are only attempting to maximize their own gains at the other party's expense.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #382
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
The matter was already resolved at the federal level last year, with the Federal Court of Appeal overturning the National Energy Board's approval of the pipeline expansion, citing that the government did not sufficiently consult First Nations groups and assess its environmental impact. As a country operating on the rule of law, we are supposed to follow process. There is no point in pulling colourful political stunts, esp when doing so will only harm the residents of both provinces.
Those who know.. Know that everything about that is BS.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #383
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Those who know.. Know that everything about that is BS.
Please point me in the direction of a source on this. I want to read more about it.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #384
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
The main reason that the pipeline was blocked is the NEB didn't consider the effect of increased tanker traffic on marine life in their study of environmental impact.
Thats not bullshit, and don't you think that its probably something that should be looked at in the study? I'm not anti pipeline. There already is one, and if another means getting our oil to tidewaters and actually having a positive effect on Canadian economy, it needs to be considered. However, studies on environmental impact need to be comprehensive, and inclusive of these issues, or its clear that the study is not being performed with due diligence.
Is it reasonable to put it together if there is clarity that the NEB was incapable of a thorough study?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #385
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
So, this is going to sound kinda shitty as a fellow Canadian but this whole SNC thing... I just can't find it in myself to give a crap about it. Maybe it's simply due to fatigue from all the crap down in the USA and UK (Brexit fiasco) but this just doesn't even register on my "give a shit" radar. I've tried following it and getting information but... I dunno. Does that make me a bad Canadian when it comes to politics?

Then again, even if it's as bad as some people say, I'm not finding any other federal level parties worth voting for. I wont vote for the right end of the spectrum due to various reasons and I don't feel that the NDP really has a game plan that would make them an actual contender this go around.

:dunno:
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #386

I have a feeling this election is all going to be about social issues. After seeing many of the stupid and disgusting things posted by groups like Canadians 1st, true north, and BC proud I can see many people who are center/center right not wanting to vote conservative.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #387
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The main reason that the pipeline was blocked is the NEB didn't consider the effect of increased tanker traffic on marine life in their study of environmental impact.
Thats not bullshit, and don't you think that its probably something that should be looked at in the study? I'm not anti pipeline. There already is one, and if another means getting our oil to tidewaters and actually having a positive effect on Canadian economy, it needs to be considered. However, studies on environmental impact need to be comprehensive, and inclusive of these issues, or its clear that the study is not being performed with due diligence.
Is it reasonable to put it together if there is clarity that the NEB was incapable of a thorough study?
The "blocking" of the pipeline was specifically related to a failure to evaluate the impact of additional tanker traffic on the southern resident killer whale and to adequately consult with first nations.

With respect to the southern resident killer whales:

The NEB's position was that the evaluation of the impact of increased tanker traffic on the southern resident killer whale was outside of their jurisdiction, the NEB believed that the DFO (Engaged during consultation and at cabinet review prior to issuance of order in council for or against CPCN) would evaluate this impact, if needed.

Having said that, if there is legitimate concern regarding the impact increased tanker traffic may have on the southern resident killer whale then I would suggest that all industries associated with large vessels should be subject to an similar level of environmental scrutiny (IE: Grain ships, cruise ships, container ships, ferries).

The concerns relating to the southern resident killer were based on underwater noise and potential for physical contact with shipping vessels, it was not based on the risk of a spill.

With respect to inadequate consultation:

The decision from the FCOA actually stated that the company was successful in their efforts to adequately consult, however, the crown was not. The duty to consult does fall on the crown, although they may transfer some of the consultation tasks/functions to the proponent the crown ultimately must ensure that the consultation would withstand a legal challenge based on past case law where adequate consultation has been defined.

Adequate consultation and the duty to accommodate is a very tricky legal subject, the First Nations know that in order to get the most accommodation possible they must make the consultation as challenging as possible.

On the subject of first nations consultation...

Consider the Jumbo Glacier Resort in the kootenays, since 1991 the BC Gov and the resort designer have been in consultation with the Ktunaxa Nation.

Quote:
The Ktunaxa believe the project will drive Grizzly Bear Spirit from Qat'muk, the traditional name for the spiritual territory, and permanently impair their religious beliefs and spiritual practices.
For 18 years the parties were engaged in regular consultation before the Ktuana finally refused to participate any further (2009), stimulating a series of legal challenges that would arrive at he SCOC in 2017 where the court ruled in favor of the BC Gov and the resort.

Quote:
The ruling said the B.C. government had engaged in "deep consultation" throughout the process, and had met its duty to consult and accommodate under Sec. 35 of the Constitution Act. The section does not give Indigenous groups a veto power over development projects; it guarantees a process, but not a particular result, the ruling said.

"Where adequate consultation has occurred, a development may proceed without consent," it reads.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ind...sort-1.4381902

Should it take 26 years to get permission to build a ski resort?

Make no mistake about it, FN want the ability to veto any and all developments, a veto is the greatest bargaining chip of them all.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #388
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,456 Times in 5,116 Posts
Nevermind all the first nations groups that showed up to protest the pipeline were from bands that had property just a weeeeeee bit too far away from the twinned pipeline to get paaaaiiiidddddd.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #389
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
So, this is going to sound kinda shitty as a fellow Canadian but this whole SNC thing... I just can't find it in myself to give a crap about it. Maybe it's simply due to fatigue from all the crap down in the USA and UK (Brexit fiasco) but this just doesn't even register on my "give a shit" radar. I've tried following it and getting information but... I dunno. Does that make me a bad Canadian when it comes to politics?

Then again, even if it's as bad as some people say, I'm not finding any other federal level parties worth voting for. I wont vote for the right end of the spectrum due to various reasons and I don't feel that the NDP really has a game plan that would make them an actual contender this go around.

:dunno:
it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be. it's just that the libs are supposed to be the party of social justice and yet they're clearly closer to corrupt corporations than their constituents are comfortable with. any level of corruption that is above zero is too much when you claim to be the party of ethics. the conservatives would do it in a heartbeat too, but at least when they do it it's less hypocritical because people expect them to choose jobs over fixing corruption.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #390

Jason I appreciate you being able to put into words and back up the jumbled mess of information that's in my head haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Please point me in the direction of a source on this. I want to read more about it.
Go spend some time in a community, small town, near a reserve, work alongside them, work for them, etc. And then get back to me.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Nevermind all the first nations groups that showed up to protest the pipeline were from bands that had property just a weeeeeee bit too far away from the twinned pipeline to get paaaaiiiidddddd.
I was recently in a great presentation about this issue, the difference between treaty land, reserve land, and everything else that was appropriated under the Indian Act.

Everything else is essentially known as "traditional territory", this is land that was traditionally used by FN, so they claim, for farming, hunting, spiritualism etc. The issue lies in that traditional territory is disputed with many overlapping regions of claim. Follow the link below to see just how many FN's have established, through reserve land or traditional territory claims, some form of land recognition from the Crown.

ftp://ftp.nrcan.gc.ca/ess/sgb_pub/sg...pn-wallmap.pdf

It's also worth noting that traditional territory claims are often "fluid" and "broad". As an example, Blood 148 is a FN reserve near Lethbridge AB, it was established under the provisions of Treaty 7. Until the Trans Mountain Project the Blood FN never made any claims of traditional territory extending to the north beyond the city limits of Calgary. However, all of a sudden, as the project moved forward, the Blood FN claimed to have traditional territory along the pipeline right of way between Edmonton and Jasper.

Also interesting is that the various FN conspire against one another to support their claims. FN members often volunteer to participate in development projects so that when/if archaeologists find any evidence of FN artifacts (Arrow heads, paddles, farming equipment, etc.) the FN can claim it as their own, effectively calling it evidence that "this arrowhead proves this land was used by my people" without really knowing who left that arrowhead in the ground 200 years ago. So where a local FN may oppose a project and not be willing to support/participate in a project, a FN group from 100km may very well be willing to participate in the interest of expanding their claim to traditional territory.

Edit - Little know fact, I was raised in Yellowknife (For most of my formative years anyway)
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #392

A big'ole giant cluster fuck that doesn't allow anything to get done efficiently haha.

Speaking of Yellowknife. Harley's moved, it's no longer in the basement of the Hardrock Saloon. It's moved to where KFC used to be and is comprised of a diner, pot shop, tattoo, and strippers haha.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
A big'ole giant cluster fuck that doesn't allow anything to get done efficiently haha.

Speaking of Yellowknife. Harley's moved, it's no longer in the basement of the Hardrock Saloon. It's moved to where KFC used to be and is comprised of a diner, pot shop, tattoo, and strippers haha.
It was all over my FB feed when KFC closed, the villagers really grieved over the loss of those famous 11 herbs and spices.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #394
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
can't wait for them to turn the taps off

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...-rachel-notley
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #395

We'll see how much of a nutjob Kenney is, and it'd definitely be interesting to see how he'll follow through on the "turn off the taps" rhetoric...
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #396
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

those borders are going to be hella busy with ppl getting gas.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:05 AM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

Then what are all the oil workers going to do.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #398
I don't get it

What really cracks me up is how we have 10+ tankers a day in kits on a slow day usually more.... yet the "enviromental protection assesment" is whats holding up the highspeed cat from vancouver to naniamo
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #399

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Why does Alberta keep electing whiny 12 year olds? I think the pipelines need to be built, but acting like a preteen that's mad about not being given the latest Call of Duty seems like a poor way to run a province.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Why does Alberta keep electing whiny 12 year olds? I think the pipelines need to be built, but acting like a preteen that's mad about not being given the latest Call of Duty seems like a poor way to run a province.
Not that I disagree with your statement, but their choices are rather limited too when the 2 front runners are both whiny / bitchy / vengeful idiots...
This post thanked by: