REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #451
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Don't worry people will vote base of the PM's new look. All JT have to do is get a new haircut put on a pair of different socks and people will vote for him.

Last elections I literally have co workers and friends voted for JT base on his looks......
At least they voted, I guess
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2019, 05:30 AM   #452
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
So it looks like questioning the number of migrants the country takes in is too controversial a subject and won't be tolerated in the current year

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...nier-1.5259538

Quote:
The owner of billboards currently showcasing ads that seek to promote the People's Party of Canada's controversial stance on immigration reversed course on Sunday, saying the company would take the material down in response to "overwhelming" criticism.

The ads, featuring a photo of party leader Maxime Bernier, the slogan "Say NO to mass immigration" and a call to vote for his party, started popping up across the country late last week. They were criticized nearly immediately as promoting anti-immigrant rhetoric.

Petitions have since sprung up calling on billboard owners Pattison Outdoor Advertising to take the ads down, arguing that they violate the company's own code of conduct.

The company released two statements on Sunday, the first of which said that people who have a problem with the ads should take it up with the advertiser, True North Strong & Free Advertising Corp. The statement suggested they reviewed the ad content and it did not violate the Ad Standards of Canada (ASC) code or their own policies.

"We take a neutral position on ads that comply with the ASC code as we believe Canadians do not want us to be the judge or arbiter of what the public can or cannot see," the company said in a statement circulated on their social media accounts.

"Should advertising elicit a public debate, we encourage Canadians to voice their opinions directly to the advertiser who placed the message as it is our policy that their contact information must be a legible part of the ad."

2nd company statement
But later in the day, the company issued a second statement saying that while the billboards didn't violate any policy, they would come down nonetheless.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #453
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
So it looks like questioning the number of migrants the country takes in is too controversial a subject and won't be tolerated in the current year

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...nier-1.5259538
And you are surprised? LOL. Cons are done.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #454
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,296 Times in 2,510 Posts
I dunno who within the People's Party approved that ad -- I dunno what their original intention might be, but the presentation totally came out wrong.

What the heck does Bernier / People's Party mean by "no to mass immigration" anyway?
Canada is a country built on immigration, and will continue to be a country that relies on immigration to keep the country going. So why is Bernier / People's Party against immigration?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I dunno who within the People's Party approved that ad -- I dunno what their original intention might be, but the presentation totally came out wrong.

What the heck does Bernier / People's Party mean by "no to mass immigration" anyway?
Canada is a country built on immigration, and will continue to be a country that relies on immigration to keep the country going. So why is Bernier / People's Party against immigration?
No one in the party approved it. It was done by a group called True North Strong & Free Advertising. Mad Max does agree with message.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/201...ion-billboards
Old 08-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #456

Quote:

By 2041 metro vancouver will have an estimated population increase of 1 million. If you think infrastructure, housing, cost of living, and healthcare are strained now, wait until you see what over 1/3 increase does.

Maybe a discussion on sustainable immigration is warranted
-Norm Franz
Old 08-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #457

Quote:
By 2041 metro vancouver will have an estimated population increase of 1 million. If you think infrastructure, housing, cost of living, and healthcare are strained now, wait until you see what over 1/3 increase does.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #458
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:

I think it’s more in reference to the mass refugee influx that Trudeau took on in his first year that was overly ambitious and not particularly well executed.

Canada needs immigration to survive, especially as the baby boomers enter retirement and many millennials/post-millennials aren’t able to afford to have families.

Controlled immigration is a given. You wouldn’t want to double the population in a decade as infrastructure, economy, etc simply wouldn’t support it and you’d have absolute chaos. But I don’t think any party is proposing that?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #459
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Define "sustainable" immigration.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Define "sustainable" immigration.
Do you think increasing immigration to one million every three years is sustainable? With how unaffordable housing is already?
67% of Canadians polled don't believe so.
So why is it even "controversial" to question?

If you believe more immigration is needed, fine. You vote for that. But it shouldn't be a controversial discussion to have. It's not an immoral thing to be weary of.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 08-27-2019 at 02:33 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #461

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:

Why do so many people miss or dishonestly omit the word "mass" and then go on to ask why Bernier and the PPC are against immigration, as if it means all immigration?

A good many people are all for immigration of people who go through the proper channels, are educated/skilled and of immediate use in Canada, and who wish to participate and endorse Canadian ideals and laws.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 08-27-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #462
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts

Is he high? LMFAO

Also, interestingly, sounds like there's not much news about the upcoming election. Previously, there were breakdowns of the different platforms. I can't seem to find those for the upcoming election.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #463
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Do you think increasing immigration to one million every three years is sustainable? With how unaffordable housing is already?
67% of Canadians polled don't believe so.
So why is it even "controversial" to question?

If you believe more immigration is needed, fine. You vote for that. But it shouldn't be a controversial discussion to have. It's not an immoral thing to be weary of.
I never took a stance on immigration. I merely asked you to define "sustainable" immigration.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #464

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:

Canada exists beyond the GVRD, and not everyone is moving there anyways. The birth rate has dropped to 1.6, we need immigrants.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
I never took a stance on immigration. I merely asked you to define "sustainable" immigration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Canada exists beyond the GVRD, and not everyone is moving there anyways. The birth rate has dropped to 1.6, we need immigrants.
Majority of immigrants settle in one of three places; Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. Given the percentage of Vancouver that is composed of immigrants (40%), of the three, I'd bet Vancouver is the main destination.

No one is implying that immigration isn't needed (though it is debatable whether lowering population equals lower gdp per capita).

Some quick math:
In order to sustain the population figures you need a birthrate of 2.1. We're at 1.6. The average annual number of deaths in Canada is between 250-300,000. We'll go the high end and say 3. 300,000 x .5 = 150,000.
Oddly enough,the exact immigration figures that Bernier is proposing.
So I'd say 150 would be a sustainable number.
-Norm Franz
Old 08-28-2019, 11:06 PM   #466

Here's some billboards no one will complain about

-Norm Franz
Old 08-29-2019, 12:10 AM   #467

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Thought this thread when Bernier retweeted this recently:
Quote:
"Save the planet and don't have children" - The left

"Canadians aren't having enough children and we need mass immigration" - also the left
One of the responses:
Old 08-29-2019, 12:47 AM   #468

Quote:
Here's some billboards no one will complain about

Bullshit

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...eau-government

Ontario watch is actually the The Canada Growth Council. Why the 2 names? What are they hiding?

Old 08-29-2019, 05:22 AM   #469

Increased immigration presents real problems for everyone. Including those that immigrate here.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...al-report-says

Quote:

Douglas Todd: Canada struggling to 'absorb' immigrants, internal report says

Assimilation? Integration? Absorption?

There’s nothing like a dispute over words to get Canadians to pay attention – and in this case that might not be a bad thing.

This month Manitoba responded to two complaints by barring a driver from continuing to use his two-year-old licence plate “ASIMIL8.”

The word “assimilate” has been used to describe the process by which Indigenous people and immigrants could mix into the larger culture. Some Canadians consider it offensive, arguing it doesn’t allow room for cultural differences.

Assimilation has been largely superseded by the word “integration.” And now Canadian government immigration officials are talking about a new concept: “absorptive capacity.”

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada officials are digesting a significant report that defines absorptive capacity as “a two-way process that encourages adjustment on the part of both the newcomer and the receiving society.”

Indeed, the internal report, obtained under an access to information request, shows that immigration analysts are worried that the “absorptive capacity” of Canada is going down.

“Declining outcomes of recent immigrants have shown that integration is not automatic,” says the report, which surveys emerging problems with immigration flows and the pressure it’s putting on Canadian sectors.

While some Canadians behave as if it’s xenophobic to question immigration policy, immigration rates and their results, the sweeping in-house government report, titled Evidence-Based Levels and Mix: Absorptive Capacity, does exactly that.

The report, obtained by Vancouver lawyer Richard Kurland, shows integration of immigrants into Canada, despite relative success here compared to most countries, is faltering $– in regards to housing, jobs, health care, education, religious tensions, ethnic enclaves and transit.

With Canada now accepting 300,000 immigrants a year, in addition to accommodating 700,000 international students and temporary foreign workers, the 2014 report, which has no listed author, recognizes real problems...
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 08-29-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:04 AM   #470
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Thought this thread when Bernier retweeted this recently:
One of the responses:
I wonder what contributes more to consumption of resources. Someone who already lives on this planet moving somewhere else, or an entirely new human existing in addition to the person staying in their country of origin?
Just kidding I don’t wonder that because I understand the absolute lower level basics of human existence.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:31 AM   #471
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
conservatives bashing liberals for poor treatment of women?
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #472

Quote:
Increased immigration presents real problems for everyone. Including those that immigrate here.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...al-report-says

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...after-25-years

Quote:

An internal immigration department document shows that, after 25 years in the country, a typical refugee is earning as much or more than the Canadian norm, which is about $45,000 a year.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
That's great but it doesn't refute the concerns of integration or population increase at our rate
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 08-29-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #474

Quote:
That's great but it doesn't refute the concerns of integration or population increase at our rate
Instead of trying to get immigrants to integrate maybe Canadians should try being more like them. They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Instead of trying to get immigrants to integrate maybe Canadians should try being more like them. They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.
Yea why bother having any common culture, language, values or identity at all? Not like any of that matters for a country.
-Norm Franz