REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #551
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
I wonder if the late Jack Layton would be rolling over in his grave upon hearing this...

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/09...eaders-debate/

Quote:
Greens pass NDP in polls days before first leaders debate
BY CORMAC MAC SWEENEY
Posted Sep 10, 2019 9:54 am PDT Last Updated Sep 10, 2019 at 10:53 am PDT

The survey, from Mainstreet Research, shows the Liberals are on top at 37 per cent and the Conservatives are at 34. But for the first time ever, the Green Party is polling in third place, ahead of the New Democrats.

“We have the Greens now at 10.8, a couple of points ahead of the NDP at 8.4 nationally,” Mainstreet CEO Quito Maggi says, adding this is reflective of the fact that the environment has emerged as a top priority for voters in this campaign.

Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:53 PM   #552
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,281 Times in 1,969 Posts
PC Party wins majority in Manitoba provincial election

https://globalnews.ca/news/5884598/m...cial-election/

I had CBC on my TV in the background and I heard a reporter interviewing some woman.

Quote:
Reporter: What are your thoughts on a PC majority win?

Woman: KiLL mE naaaooOOOO00!
Seems to be a standard reply when anyone Conservative wins anything

EDIT: Voter turnout all time low. That woman should refocus on who she should be upset with

Last edited by GS8; 09-10-2019 at 08:09 PM.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #553
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
PC Party wins majority in Manitoba provincial election

https://globalnews.ca/news/5884598/m...cial-election/

I had CBC on my TV in the background and I heard a reporter interviewing some woman.

Seems to be a standard reply when anyone Conservative wins anything

EDIT: Voter turnout all time low. That woman should refocus on who she should be upset with

She said a 1000 years of darkness.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #554
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Cot Dam........... just watched Elizabeth May's speech. I believe in a system where there are multiple parties, but are we stretched to the limit? Where this is the best we have to offer?

JT, Andew Scheer, Elizabeth May, Jagmeet Singh, Bernier........

Elizabeth May.......... "This is the most important election in Canada's history." Really? For you, maybe, but that's about it. And her french............ I suck at french, but even I know her french sucks monkey balls. Where's the token asian or south asian? I see an aboriginal person........... maybe. She's holding a feather and wears something that looks like native art. I also don't trust people who smile too much "Smiles n Chuckles."

What's even sadder is.................... I might vote for her party. Why not? Can't do any shittier than the rest of the jokers and their parties out there.

I guess it depends on the candidate in my riding, if there is one, lol.

EDIT: https://www.burnabynow.com/news/i-wa...ary-1.23908762

pansexual......... I can live with that, gulolol.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 09-11-2019 at 08:27 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #555
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Candidates are all terrible again.

May pissed me off when she refused to run a candidate against Singh “out of courtesy.” Fuck off, that’s not how democracy is supposed to work.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #556
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Cot Dam........... just watched Elizabeth May's speech. I believe in a system where there are multiple parties, but are we stretched to the limit? Where this is the best we have to offer?

JT, Andew Scheer, Elizabeth May, Jagmeet Singh, Bernier........

Elizabeth May.......... "This is the most important election in Canada's history." Really? For you, maybe, but that's about it. And her french............ I suck at french, but even I know her french sucks monkey balls. Where's the token asian or south asian? I see an aboriginal person........... maybe. She's holding a feather and wears something that looks like native art. I also don't trust people who smile too much "Smiles n Chuckles."

What's even sadder is.................... I might vote for her party. Why not? Can't do any shittier than the rest of the jokers and their parties out there.

I guess it depends on the candidate in my riding, if there is one, lol.

EDIT: https://www.burnabynow.com/news/i-wa...ary-1.23908762

pansexual......... I can live with that, gulolol.

You're definitely not alone. The vast majority of Canadians polled in a recent study out of SFU feel distanced by their government and are looking quite favourably to populism.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5260422
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #557
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
You're definitely not alone. The vast majority of Canadians polled in a recent study out of SFU feel distanced by their government and are looking quite favourably to populism.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5260422
Great, so people believe in something that doesn't actually exist because there’s no actual clear definition beyond “being for the people” lol... good sign of things to come.

Sounds like religion by a different name.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #558
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Eww, an Eagles' fan..
And, what’s wrong with the Eagles? Greatest Band ever.......... wait.......... lol.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:22 PM   #559

Imagine a P.M. that listens to Dead Prez.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #560

-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 09-12-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #561
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Canada's new child benefit has lifted almost 300,000 children out of poverty and strengthened the middle class, study shows
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2019, 02:21 AM   #562

https://pressprogress.ca/proud-to-be...nt-discovered/

Quote:
‘Proud to Be White’: Conservative Candidate Resigns After Secret Anti-Immigrant Facebook Account Discovered

Conservative candidate in Manitoba shared anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim posts and declared he’s ‘proud to be white’
Old 09-13-2019, 04:45 AM   #563

I have to say,however cowardly and hypocritical, Trudeau not taking part in this debate was politically the best decision. Most people griping about it probably wouldn't have voted for him anyways.
Rather than be trounced by all three opponents he left the completely uncharismatic and not very likable Scheer (The close opposition) to be flanked by the two leftists whose policies would see the average Canadians paying even more with an even slower economy.
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2019, 04:48 AM   #564

I assume this forum is mostly made up of middle class Canadians. I wonder, if asked, how much more affordable they'd feel this government has made their lives.
-Norm Franz
Old 09-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #565

Quote:
I assume this forum is mostly made up of middle class Canadians. I wonder, if asked, how much more affordable they'd feel this government has made their lives.
You can be middle class and still care about the... welfare... of your fellow citizen

Not everything should be about "how can the government make my life, as a well-off person who doesn't have to worry about very many things, better?"
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #566
Performance Moderator

I've posted about it before in great detail on this forum, but Child Tax Benefit is one of the most abused programs in Canada... I worked there for 1.5 years doing investigations and the number of people in very affluent addresses declaring zero income with a spouse who is a non-resident also making "no income" claiming full benefit for 2 kids while living on the west side of Vancouver and getting a full cheque every month for 18 years of their children's lives is absolutely staggering.

I don't doubt the program helps many people, my sister included (and of course there's abuse, I talked to many parents who were separated and both trying to claim the money and there was no doubt in my mind that money was for liquor, drugs, gambling, etc. but I believe them to be in the minority) but hundreds of millions go to rich people lying about their income. Mostly the "permanent resident" type unfortunately -- ie: the ones who are in a position to lie to CRA because their spouse makes money in another country whereas anyone who works in Canada would be unable to hide their income unless they were paid in cash.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #567

https://www.facebook.com/17716181233...1585999888966/
Old 09-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You can be middle class and still care about the... welfare... of your fellow citizen

Not everything should be about "how can the government make my life, as a well-off person who doesn't have to worry about very many things, better?"
Sorry, I don't really see anything commendable about taking money by force from those who've earned it and giving it to those who haven't. All the while ringing up a deficit that those children will be paying for.
-Norm Franz
Old 09-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #569

Quote:
Sorry, I don't really see anything commendable about taking money by force from those who've earned it and giving it to those who haven't. All the while ringing up a deficit that those children will be paying for.
You didn't have to tell me that
Old 09-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #570
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
With your mindset, you seem better suited living in the United States in a state with low taxation. That way, you would get to keep more of your money. Have you contemplated living in Alberta?
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #571
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
With your mindset, you seem better suited living in the United States in a state with low taxation. That way, you would get to keep more of your money. Have you contemplated living in Alberta?
a ha! you have just explained exactly why making people who make more money pay more is a bad idea!

I personally know many people whom have left Canada due to high taxation rate! Now the country as a whole is getting zero dollars from them, instead of the high number it could've.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #572
Performance Moderator

^
I don’t buy into that threat at all... they wanna live in the USA taxes isn’t what was going to drive them there. If they really cared about that they’d go somewhere with no taxes like Korea or HK or whatever.

If what your saying is true with any sort of prevalence then countries like Norway or denmark would have no affluent people living in them.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #573
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
While they have earned the money, hording it slows the economy because that money could have been spent on services or goods that pay someone elses pay cheque.

Lets say someone made a million a year, saved 250k.

That's five peoples' yearly income that could be spent in the economy.

It's pretty clear that the high earner doesn't need to save that money. I would appreciate a higher tax bracket. If it went to better social programs. In the 1960s in the United States, the highest tax bracket was 70%.

Canada as a country better start making some babies if you want to stop immigration. Who else is going to man those Tim Horton's.

Last edited by DragonChi; 09-13-2019 at 07:58 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #574
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
a ha! you have just explained exactly why making people who make more money pay more is a bad idea!

I personally know many people whom have left Canada due to high taxation rate! Now the country as a whole is getting zero dollars from them, instead of the high number it could've.
I would like to know where these people moved to, how much they made, whether they were employees or business owners.

Furthermore, seeing foreign capital introduced into our system has made it pretty clear that the wealth gap has increased. Making living for the marginalized incredibly difficult.

Last edited by DragonChi; 09-13-2019 at 08:42 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #575
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I've posted about it before in great detail on this forum, but Child Tax Benefit is one of the most abused programs in Canada... I worked there for 1.5 years doing investigations and the number of people in very affluent addresses declaring zero income with a spouse who is a non-resident also making "no income" claiming full benefit for 2 kids while living on the west side of Vancouver and getting a full cheque every month for 18 years of their children's lives is absolutely staggering.

I don't doubt the program helps many people, my sister included (and of course there's abuse, I talked to many parents who were separated and both trying to claim the money and there was no doubt in my mind that money was for liquor, drugs, gambling, etc. but I believe them to be in the minority) but hundreds of millions go to rich people lying about their income. Mostly the "permanent resident" type unfortunately -- ie: the ones who are in a position to lie to CRA because their spouse makes money in another country whereas anyone who works in Canada would be unable to hide their income unless they were paid in cash.
Instead of giving money to these people that have no financial skills, i.e. a high likelihood of why they're poor, provide them with child services like subsidized daycare, childrens clothing, school meals, early education programs.

Though, I wish there was a way to close the loop with foreign people that milk the system. Possibly making these benefit available to Canadian citizens and restricting multi citizenships from certain countries.