REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:36 PM   #251
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Advertisement

Last edited by SnK1800; 07-03-2019 at 04:50 PM.
SnK1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #252
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
So when the police beat back rioters n protesters you bitch bout them beating rioters/protesters
When the police maintain a presence but keep hands off the protesters you bitch n complain that they didn't beat back protesters/rioters and allowed them to do what they wanted to do

But you're missing the point, and that's the protesters/rioters wreaked havoc
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #253
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,807 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
So when the police beat back rioters n protesters you bitch bout them beating rioters/protesters
When the police maintain a presence but keep hands off the protesters you bitch n complain that they didn't beat back protesters/rioters and allowed them to do what they wanted to do

But you're missing the point, and that's the protesters/rioters wreaked havoc
Police can crowd control without literally curb stomping them, kicking skulls, bashing people in the face with the edges of their shields, and firing tear gas into trapped crowds indiscriminately.

Nobody is complaining about the police trying to hold a line in front the LegCo building. It's all about how they did it. Go read the Amnesty International report I posted.

Also when they go from excessive force to no force at all, it's obvious what their intentions are. And I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it was all started by agents provocateur.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #254

Point is regardless of what they do ppl are going to bitch, and now that they look bad, they're pointing the finger even more... Typical
Old 07-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Point is regardless of what they do ppl are going to bitch, and now that they look bad, they're pointing the finger even more... Typical
Do you know why they broke in? Do you know what they said when they got in there? No, because the media is only showing you the controversial vandalism and violence.

Compare vandalizing a building (which can be easily repaired) to having your freedom and liberty taken away.. Which do you think is worse?

And yes, people are going to "bitch". Because there are people on one side, and people on the other. Whatever goes against their "side" will be "bitched" about. But that's just "bitching" which is irrelevant. Having freedom taken away is much more important, and from the citizens who have no voice, they are going to find ways to speak up loudly.

Destroying property was not the right way to do it, but in the end, the statement being made should be the thing people focus on. The fact that the police let them in to do so, had a statement about it recorded 5 hours before the event, all that to me is more important than the broken windows and spray paint.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2019, 12:45 AM   #256
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
If anyone -- esp the non-Chinese readers -- is interested in understanding how the kids were lead to storm into LegCo (the legislative council building), please read the following (translated) article through:

The Regime That Devours Its Young Souls—the testimony of a local journalist

The original Chinese version is much better written -- the translated version is acceptably decent, and explains all the factual stuff as well as one could hope. But where it falls short is how it couldn't really capture the sorrow that pushes these young Hong Konger's through the edge
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #257

This is how traitors should be treated
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #258

Large scale protests are happening in Mainland China as well, this one against the building of waste incinerators in residential areas.

If you think HK people are brave for protesting, these people are putting their lives on the line. Anyone captured will probably never be heard from again.

More info on the protest
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2019, 09:35 PM   #259
My homepage has been set to RS

danned is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2019, 11:38 PM   #260
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
even a small frightened animal with fight back viciously if cornered...

there are so few police in some of those shots that the crowd could have easily overpowered them.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #261
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,751 Times in 3,867 Posts

Interesting comments and perspective. Although I’m neutral to pro HK, the speaker brings up a good point
Old 07-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Interesting comments and perspective. Although I’m neutral to pro HK, the speaker brings up a good point
Waaaat? Your comment right there just makes absolutely no sense. Exactly what point does that party mouthpiece say that has any value to it at all?

I couldn't stomach the bullshxt that he is spewing by listening to him do it, but I have read his remarks in printed form -- it's less repulsive that way. The lies and absurdity that was spewing from his mouth is despicable.

The Sino-British Joint Declaration is an international bilateral treaty signed by the UK and PRC, and as such, abides by all norms that are recognized in international treaties. It is not merely a historical document as this worthless pos Geng Shuang claims. More than any other country in the world, the UK has both a moral and legal obligation to ensure that PRC upholds the terms that have been illustrated in the Joint Declaration. PRC has obviously not been doing that.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #263

If anyone is still interested in what's going on here...

Another 200K people marched in TST yesterday. They focused on spreading the word in the mainland-tourist popular area, starting with the High Speed Rail, and going down Canton road. It spread down Nathan road.

Lots of speeches and chants in Mandarin. I think it's a good idea, showing the mainland Chinese that HKers have nothing against them, it's their government that they hate. I'm sure everyone is aware that there's been a divide between HKers and mainlanders through the years, with the perception that HKers generally have an elitist attitude due to the freedoms they are used to enjoying/not being brainwashed. But I think this is breaking down recently. This particular effort shows this I think. I was out of town last week, but I think they did something similar in Tuen Muen, near the Chinese border, last week.

Oh, and if you were ever wondering why police estimates are so much lower than organizers' and other estimates, this is how they count crowds:

You can tell she knows it's bullshit

Around midnight, some protesters made it to Mong Kok, and police decided to take action.

There's lots of new footage of police being violent, pushing people, beating them, but more than anything they are berating people and acting in a very non-calm and aggressive manner. A few injuries, no rubber bullets or tear gas was fired AFAIK

This video is making the rounds.. To me it looks like he popped a bunch of xanax to calm his nerves, and maybe overdid the dose a bit:

This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #264
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post

usually not a fan of the CCP spokesperson but when he told Ottawa not to be naive by asking our backup (Trump) to bring our detainees back
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #265
Need to Seek Professional Help

Even the police officer are human and citizens. I wonder what they really think deep down.. Pro govt or just doing their job?
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
Even the police officer are human and citizens. I wonder what they really think deep down.. Pro govt or just doing their job?
From the various incidents through the June and July protests, we can see that many in the front line regular cops and anti-riot squad have a real and deeply ingrained hatred towards the protesters. No other cop would go and beat the shxt out of protesters when the protesters have already been caught and subdued, but many incidents of such behaviour has been observed among the HKPD. A similar attitude from these HKPD also exist towards the press, and attacks on front line reporters has only been getting worse. The most recent protest seems to be the worst of what has been observed so far in terms of police brutality and near-total lack of police professionalism. Really at this point, there are lots of licenced thugs with guns and anti-riot weapons that have been deployed to suppress the protesters. They are openly defying, under the camera, police policy and procedures. They are daring and challenging protesters to go on a 1-on-1 fist fight. They are attacking the press when there are no protesters around. I would not view these people to be police officers at all.

The reasons for this are many, and it is too lengthy to get into a full discussion here. Suffice to say that a general attitude among much of the HK public is the front line brutes lack the cognitive sophistication to perform proper policing duties, and yet they have been hired to serve as front line brutes precisely because of this trait. The higher ups are only catering to the wishes of HKCEO and Chinese security departments, so they, too, actively instill a sense of prejudice against protesters in their training, discipline, and general atmosphere in the PD.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #267
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Bill is dead.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hong-k...dead-1.5204792
Old 07-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #268

Saying it's dead is one thing. People want the bill to be officially scrapped
Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #269
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,892 Posts
^ C'mon ... wth else do you want them to do? Kiss the feet of every protester? Lam said it was dead. Go back to work and get on with your life.

Lam noted there were "lingering doubts about the government's sincerity or worries whether the government will restart the process in the Legislative Council." But she said at a news conference, "I reiterate here, there is no such plan. The bill is dead."
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #270
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
she didnt use the word DEAD when speaking in Cantonese
im sorry its not good enough

all she needs to say is WITHDRAW INDEFINITELY. in Cantonese, Mandarin and English

https://twitter.com/EricCheungwc/sta...1c2e6985ae%2F0

Last edited by Tim Budong; 07-08-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #271

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,892 Posts
So English in front of International press 'bill is dead' is not good enough?

whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #272
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
becuz under the laws of HK
there is only withdraw or postpone.

https://www.legco.gov.hk/general/eng...t/partk.htm#64

Quote:
64. Withdrawal or Postponement of Bills

(1) The Member or public officer in charge of a bill may, by an announcement made in Council at the beginning of proceedings for its second or third reading, withdraw or postpone the bill. (L.N. 74 of 2005)

(2) The Member or public officer in charge of a bill may, by an announcement made in Council at the beginning of proceedings for the resumption of the second reading debate on the bill, withdraw the bill if -

(a) the purpose of the resumption is for making such an announcement; and

(b) such purpose has been so stated in the notice of the resumption of debate given under Rule 54(5) (Second Reading).
(L.N. 74 of 2005)

(3) The Member or public officer in charge of a bill may, in making an announcement for the withdrawal of the bill under subrule (2), address the Council on matters relevant to the withdrawal but no debate may arise on such an address. (L.N. 74 of 2005)
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ C'mon ... wth else do you want them to do? Kiss the feet of every protester? Lam said it was dead. Go back to work and get on with your life.

Lam noted there were "lingering doubts about the government's sincerity or worries whether the government will restart the process in the Legislative Council." But she said at a news conference, "I reiterate here, there is no such plan. The bill is dead."
It doesn't matter what she SAYS in a press conference. Until the bill is technically and legally withdrawn, it's not enough. It's not complete, and the threat still exists.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2019, 12:54 AM   #274

The threat will always exist... Even if she says it's withdrawn
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #275

Thanked 2,336 Times in 967 Posts
Threat will forever be there EVEN if its eliminated, China will think of some crazy ass bullshit next time around.

It is dead. I don't understand why people are so SPECIFIC in having her to say "scrapped".

They won't ever say the word scrapped to minimize the effects of total celebration by the masses. This would encourage even bigger protests in the future.

As a reporter once said, no different than "hey you want to have fuck?" versus "hey you want to netflix and chill?"
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: