REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #226
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
When Deng negotiated the 1-country-2-system with Thatcher, Deng's intent and expectations were that in 50 yrs' time, China would have caught up to Hong Kong (and the international community)'s level of prosperity and civility, and then the 2 societies can readily merge into one without major issues. Of course, little did he know that his lack of political reform in China means an assimilation like that is impossible.

Any leasehold land in Canada, or any place that operates under the rule of law, would never have any issues with the leases expiring. The lease expires, and you either re-negotiate to come to a deal of some sort beforehand, or you just pack up and go when the expiration comes. The problem with China is, it is a place that operates on the rule by law princple. That law and justice is not an end goal in itself, but merely a means to achieve whatever desires the current ruler / ruling adminstration desires. So it doesn't matter what kind of contract or binding agreement they have passed or signed, because China will easily ignore their obligations if it is convenient for them to do so. And this is exactly what happened with their WTO obligations.
I know. I'm just saying why they "have" to "play nice" for 50 years. By doing what they're doing, they're literally going against their own constitution that they wrote. They are breaking the law at a very fundamental level with this meddling.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #227
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
im only here to say i participated in this thread, im from hong kong and taiwan living in china

lets hope i dont get arrested lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #228
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Another bill was "delayed" today. In case you were wondering what this was, the Beijing government wants to make it illegal to make any other noises or show any disrespect when the China national anthem is being played.[/url]
Anybody remember reading 1984 by George Orwell in hs? Because China is eerily moving towards everything the book described

I learned a lot of new stuff in this thread... its bad on all sides...
With this issue aside, it really makes me think of the direction that is China headed in. Its pretty bad already, and it will get so much worse.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #229

China is legitimately terrifying, and as much as Trump is a stupid idiot, I think he is right in that the rest of the world has to pressure them.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #230

Week 3

Old 06-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #231
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts

protest continues based on this. They are blocking the police HQ now. Probably a good day for thieves and robbers.

I think CCP will sacrifice Secretary for Security (John Lee) and/or Secretary for Justice (Teresa Cheng) to calm the storm. I predict JOhn Lee will be the first on the chopping blocks because he has been doing a shit job with responding to protestors and pretty much-adding fuel to the fire every time he speaks.

Last edited by bcedhk; 06-20-2019 at 09:49 PM.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:59 PM   #232
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
As someone who lived in HK for the last few years of British rule it's sad to see what it has slowly degraded in to. I really enjoyed my time there. I've been back a bunch since no longer being a resident but even my dad called it quits in 09. He and many of his colleagues felt it was time to go. None of my family or the network of expats we knew are surprised by China's actions though. HK will 'die' as the hub it once was with this continued meddling; I wonder if it's already passed the tipping point and another mass exodus will be happening. You'd think China would have gotten the hint that blatantly illegal business practices and strong-arming doesn't work in the 21st century with Huawei forecasting a 30B loss of its profits due to being alienated by the rest of the world.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:36 AM   #233

Stunning composite imagery of last week's march

This is probably the most 'readable' image I've seen, showing just how big the scale is

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...test-size.html
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2019, 04:53 AM   #234

Amnesty International's report on how the police handled protests 6/12. TL;DR they title it "HOW NOT TO POLICE A PROTEST"

Includes a lot of footage I haven't seen before. So if you thought the cops weren't actually that bad.. think again, it was REALLY FUCKING BAD.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Amnesty International's report on how the police handled protests 6/12. TL;DR they title it "HOW NOT TO POLICE A PROTEST"

Includes a lot of footage I haven't seen before. So if you thought the cops weren't actually that bad.. think again, it was REALLY FUCKING BAD.

They need better training on keeping their cool and composure. They act and look just like any MK gang. And look at how their superior is laughing in the background.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
https://twitter.com/HK6127/status/1142072650770145282

They need better training on keeping their cool and composure. They act and look just like any MK gang. And look at how their superior is laughing in the background.
Yeah if that guy loses his temper that much while out of uniform, out of the action, imagine how insane he goes when he's out there crackin' skulls. Nasty shit
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2019, 01:03 AM   #237
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
im all for things like flags on goverment buildings and mandarin on MTR station is normal and i personally think its a must since the hand over

but since its 50 years unchange, then they should keep it intill the time period expires

u must know that china is like a birds cage, your freedom is base on how big the cage is period and depending on how u perform they will adjust things to see what fits right

im not a fan of the cpp but im not going to say i hate them, i live here and thats i dont talk/play politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #238
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,687 Times in 3,122 Posts
She's hot. I'd let her march on my tianmem

Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #239
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Old 06-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #240
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
pro police rally in HK over 150k ppl

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48817530
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #241

Thanked 3,999 Times in 1,905 Posts
What do you all think now? Freedom fighters or hooligans?

Looks like Vancouver 2011
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #242
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
What do you all think now? Freedom fighters or hooligans?

https://twitter.com/phila_siu/status...81249232723968

Looks like Vancouver 2011

If thats what it takes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udham_Singh

Udham Singh (26 December 1899 – 31 July 1940), was a revolutionary belonging to the Ghadar Party best known for his assassination in London of Michael O' Dwyer, the former lieutenant governor of the Punjab in India, on 13 March 1940. The assassination was in revenge for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre in Amritsar in 1919.[1] Singh was subsequently tried and convicted of murder and hanged in July 1940. While in custody, he used the name Ram Mohammad Singh Azad, which represents the three major religions of Punjab and his anti-colonial sentiment.[2]

Old 07-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #243
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
looks like the sunflower movement in taiwan few years ago
they didn't deface anything though

twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #244
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If thats what it takes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udham_Singh

Udham Singh (26 December 1899 – 31 July 1940), was a revolutionary belonging to the Ghadar Party best known for his assassination in London of Michael O' Dwyer, the former lieutenant governor of the Punjab in India, on 13 March 1940. The assassination was in revenge for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre in Amritsar in 1919.[1] Singh was subsequently tried and convicted of murder and hanged in July 1940. While in custody, he used the name Ram Mohammad Singh Azad, which represents the three major religions of Punjab and his anti-colonial sentiment.[2]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuYgICoMer8

Watching the news yesterday, it reminds me the Vancouver riot. IMO I don't see a point to damage or take over the legislative council when no body was there and they decided to leave after 12am. To me the HK police is quite inexperience, some not sure where to stand, some dropped their shield etc. Police evacuated after 9pm, probably eating popcorn in front of the surveillance cameras, then plan to knock on the doors in the morning.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #245
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post

Watching the news yesterday, it reminds me the Vancouver riot. IMO I don't see a point to damage or take over the legislative council when no body was there and they decided to leave after 12am. To me the HK police is quite inexperience, some not sure where to stand, some dropped their shield etc. Police evacuated after 9pm, probably eating popcorn in front of the surveillance cameras, then plan to knock on the doors in the morning.
no one was there because they where too busy sipping champagne. I here the news channels had a split screen. One side showing government officials clinking glasses the other side showing protesters demonstrating and breaking windows. I think the protesters did an effective job interrupting the celebrations.

https://www.scmp.com/video/hong-kong...er-week-july-1
Old 07-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #246

Thanked 3,999 Times in 1,905 Posts
This was all staged to make protesters look bad. Police not incompetent, they were instructed by President Xi to let them in to create havoc. Some protesters were China sympathizers. CRP controlling the narrative.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2019, 12:20 AM   #247
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
they need the Chinese military to roll in to institute a curfew and maintain order through martial law uh oh that's where its headed if they keep it up
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:59 AM   #248
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
I mean... there is no way the police would let people storm a gov't building without resistance. This happened yesterday.

It's not a great look for the HK people who are all peacefully protesting and it sort of gives "grandfather xi" an excuse to take further action
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #249

Most, including myself believe this was a setup by the government to give them leverage to hold on the protestors' demands. The fact they could barge into Legco so easily contradicts the police use of force during previous "riots" to suppress protestors from getting into legco.

On another hand, you have comically things like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HongKong/co...at_9pm_police/

where the police provide a status update on the protestors barging into legco at 9pm, when his rollie clearly shows 5pm.

As a result:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HongKong/co...n_their_video/

---
#2 It's quite odd how the whole crew (CE, SofS, SofJ, Police Chief and their support staff) all got together ready to go at 4am to address the press. That said, the CE basically brushed off the Cantonese/local reporters' questions but would provide very detailed responses to the foreign press. People in PR have pointed out this is a tactic was used to help China leverage to the international audience that this whole protest has become violent and skew them from the peaceful protest that happened in the morning.

Last edited by bcedhk; 07-02-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #250
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
This was all staged to make protesters look bad. Police not incompetent, they were instructed by President Xi to let them in to create havoc. Some protesters were China sympathizers. CRP controlling the narrative.
I remain thoroughly unconvinced that the HKSAR gov's scheme to make the protesters look bad has succeeded though -- at least it hasn't for those who are willing to seek the truth (or more semblance of truth).

From reading and watch the various protestor declarations, the "occupation" videos, the "rescue" operation videos, I honestly can't imagine how any sensible person would not sympathsize with the young protestors. Their plain and simple sincerity, and their undying love for their home (Hong Kong) cannot be more obvious. They may be unrefined with their means, but their actions and accusations are the direct results of tyranny and ridculous policies and lies from the HKSAR gov.

Of course, the gov supporters (and many Mainland Chinese) will not be swayed because it comes from a difference in fundamental values. You are not going to see changes in these people until their own core interests have been harmed. In some cases, they may even think it is OK for their own core interests to be sacrified "in the name of the greater good".
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote