REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #176
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #177

Old 06-16-2019, 07:12 AM   #178
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Carrie did rush this a bit by saying, nope this is the final reading, we have to move forward. The lack of openness and 2nd 3rd, 4th reading / discussion lead to this today. You really think she wants to be the most hated person in HK right now? China has had enough and wanted to see this through but HK protestes are fighting.

As to just quitting your job / saying fuck off to your boss, well.... I don't know about you, maybe you're doing that to your bosses now in Canada?

my cousin and his wife are both in HK police; my uncle used to be a high ranking officer in hk, orders has to be followed. This is not like James Bond, 24 or HK TVB drama The defected, where can easily disobey. From the last Sept 25-Dec 14 2014 event and now, they said they lost count on the number of nights they weren't able to go home, drenched in the rain in wet underwear just to stand on guard.

I have 100+ friends who are participating peacefully in this, and props to them, I hvae some expat who came back and was also at the Chinese consulate. 99.9% of them were safe and brought kids to the gatherings.

(董建華) 1st Chief Exec. stepped down due to health reason was just BS and it ain't going to happen again. i don't think China can force a CE to step down nor quit; how will people react if CE will just step down due to social pressures.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:17 AM   #179
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
7million people city...2million people came out to protest, that's a lot of fucking people.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #180

More photos

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-...35Y3HLGw__j0-Y

It's practically impossible to get across the scale of this. Imagine if literally every single person in Vancouver went to one place. And then triple that. Does that even help? It's mind blowing
Old 06-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #181
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Carrie did rush this a bit by saying, nope this is the final reading, we have to move forward. The lack of openness and 2nd 3rd, 4th reading / discussion lead to this today. You really think she wants to be the most hated person in HK right now? China has had enough and wanted to see this through but HK protestes are fighting.

As to just quitting your job / saying fuck off to your boss, well.... I don't know about you, maybe you're doing that to your bosses now in Canada?

my cousin and his wife are both in HK police; my uncle used to be a high ranking officer in hk, orders has to be followed. This is not like James Bond, 24 or HK TVB drama The defected, where can easily disobey. From the last Sept 25-Dec 14 2014 event and now, they said they lost count on the number of nights they weren't able to go home, drenched in the rain in wet underwear just to stand on guard.
You can't force someone to beat the shit out of another person. Sooner or later the police have to go home and live in the same neighborhoods and buildings as the protesters.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #182

A good summary of yesterday, if anyone here still cares

This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #183

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
Even today Carrie Lam resigns, the next CE will be elected by the same group of people. Mr Tung, Mr Tsang, Mr Leung, now Mrs Lam. The next one will also need to follow the communist orders. The protest rings the bell that one country two systems is not working, and no way Taiwanese will follow that.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #184

Time lapse

This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #185

Here's how the Hong Kong protest is being covered in Bizarro-Land. According to them, 2 million parents in Hong Kong took to the streets to protest against USA for meddling in China's affairs.

This is the kind of coverage that people are subjected to in China, something that becomes very clear if you try to discuss politics with someone from there. The anti-US propaganda they are facing is VERY strong, possibly the strongest ever, and VERY effective.

HK parents march against US meddling
Old 06-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #186
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Here's how the Hong Kong protest is being covered in Bizarro-Land. According to them, 2 million parents in Hong Kong took to the streets to protest against USA for meddling in China's affairs.

This is the kind of coverage that people are subjected to in China, something that becomes very clear if you try to discuss politics with someone from there. The anti-US propaganda they are facing is VERY strong, possibly the strongest ever, and VERY effective.

HK parents march against US meddling
Shocking they have no pictures of the march.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:20 PM   #187
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Joshua Wong gets released from jail today.. shows up at the student protest
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2019, 12:46 AM   #188

He looks better than he did before prison lol
Old 06-17-2019, 06:30 AM   #189
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
wow that's a lot of people

reminds me of the million man march crowds walking onto DC

edit: hmm eh, dere we go
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:30 AM   #190

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
wow that's a lot of people

reminds me of the million man march crowds walking onto DC
Meh ... more people at the Raptors parade in the 6ix.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #191
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
In light of these protests, I found this headline interesting:
China is harvesting organs from detainees, tribunal concludes
Old 06-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #192

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
fucking CCP. For every good thing they've done there's always like 10x stupid ass shit thing they are trying to cover up.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Do you have a source for this? I am interested in this particular topic.
If you're still interested in this topic, here's some more. Apparently police have access to hospital records:

This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
In light of these protests, I found this headline interesting:
China is harvesting organs from detainees, tribunal concludes
This topic came up during fathers day dinner too. According to my wife's dad, Falun Gong are fanatical crazy cultists, and turn their followers into violent maniacs. He shared an anecdote of a friend of a co-worker's wife who joined Falun Gong, and then started beating their child for no reason. He claims that they try to teach their followers about "qigong" but do it incorrectly, and that drives people insane. I mean... Let's not get into that for now

I personally have NO IDEA, because I know there are crazy cults out there that do this, as well as there are some that manipulate people for their money, etc. There are also some that are very peaceful and helpful.

I don't know who to believe. If someone says they are crazy cultists, it's possible, but I question where they got that idea from. You can imagine how much shitty propaganda is out there about them. My personal assumption is that they are seen as a threat to the Party simply due to their popularity, and that's why they're so aggressive towards them. The CCP cares about one thing more than anything else in this world: Self preservation. And if there is a group that goes against them, and apparently Falun Gong had 70-80 million followers before being persecuted, they're going to shut them down at all costs. Remember, they can come up with any law they want if they think you might go against them. They see religion as inherently subversive, so all religions are going to be looked at. And once the numbers get up there, they'll go after them.

To hear that they are still doing these atrocious things shouldn't be surprising at all. The Party does a lot of amazing things for the country and for the world. They get some things right. For instance if I was a completely neutral scientist with no compassion or care about anything other than science, there would be no better place in the world to "get shit done" and advance science than China.

I could go on, but the fact is that the CCP is kind of a crazy cult themselves. They have developed their own set of morals and values, and some of it may be good, but a lot of it doesn't line up very well with the rest of the free thinking world. The main issue for me being that people are not to be treated equally. And they have more power than any other group in the world.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #195

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
you've clearly decided that your liberty is more important and now you're bitching about others who want the same? Logic much? You've basically proven my point on your own.
where in my posts here have i criticized against HK protesting?

i'm merely saying it's idiotic to call others hypocrites if they can't have an open, pragmatic mind about something abroad that they can relate to

your sentiment is as ridiculous as asking people to move away from HK at the drop of a hat even if they were born there with all family/social ties or to ask Vancouver folks to move away if housing/living is so expensive instead of complaining or work harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
Yea just imagine if they ACTUALLY lived in Hong Kong and ACTUALLY cared about Hong Kong. Wouldn't that be amazing.
bitch please, this is a Vancouver-based forum...you want a .hk subforum ask for one or hit the ignore/back button if you dont want to read our Canadian input

Last edited by twitchyzero; 06-17-2019 at 08:50 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:04 AM   #196

Carrie Lam just had a press conference. TLDR:

- The bill will not be officially withdrawn or retracted. But she basically said they'll let it sit paused until next July when it expires

- She and the Police Chief no longer consider Wednesday's protest a "RIOT". They say that some people were violent, but it wasn't a riot, and won't be charging people for being there. Only people who were actually doing violent things will be charged. This includes the police, and she reiterated several times where people can report police brutality.

- She is not stepping down. She wants "another chance" to make things right.

So I was wrong that they'd dump her with the bill, but it looks like they at least stopped this specific bill from passing.

They're definitely going to think twice about trying that again.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #197

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
where in my posts here have i criticized against HK protesting?

i'm merely saying it's idiotic to call others hypocrites if they can't have an open, pragmatic mind about something abroad that they can relate to

your sentiment is as ridiculous as asking people to move away from HK at the drop of a hat even if they were born there with all family/social ties or to ask Vancouver folks to move away if housing/living is so expensive instead of complaining or work harder

bitch please, this is a Vancouver-based forum...you want a .hk subforum ask for one or hit the ignore/back button if you dont want to read our Canadian input
don't even respond to him bro. This guy's a few protesters short of an occupy movement.

First, he tells me to go back to China, and then he calls me and my family pussy and says we have a history of taking shit up our asses . Classic internet troll.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #198
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
does china even have enough police force if shit went wild with 2 million people going wild?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #199
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
^
No country in the world actually has enough police to control significant numbers of their population revolting... zerg swarm...

That's why the military always gets called in when they deem the situation to be uncontrollable at the police level and it's classified as a riot. Even then... if enough people decide to continue........ and there are enough of them to overwhelm both the police and the military, the government falls and a riot becomes a coup.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #200
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
don't even respond to him bro. This guy's a few protesters short of an occupy movement.

First, he tells me to go back to China, and then he calls me and my family pussy and says we have a history of taking shit up our asses . Classic internet troll.
But is kinda of true though. If you like China so much and feels so great about it you really should go back and start a new life there and not stay in Canada. I mean China have a better economy, more advance tech, better railway system a a gov that loves its people. It loves so much and wants to protect its people so much it must filter out all news sauce that IT feels it will harm the feelings of its citizen so their glass heart won't shatter if the actual truth comes out. Oh and let's not forget if your social points is too low you can even get a railway ticket so everyone will be nice and treat each other as brothers and sisters, never break the law or even say anything mean or hurtful about gov. While we are at it let's paint all foregin countries and its citizen the enomy of China so there is a common pretend enemy to hate. Also the laws only apply to the poor and those without connections. The rich and the powerful can get away with whatever they do.

Such a great country to live in, we really should all start going back and start a new live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^
No country in the world actually has enough police to control significant numbers of their population revolting... zerg swarm...

That's why the military always gets called in when they deem the situation to be uncontrollable at the police level and it's classified as a riot. Even then... if enough people decide to continue........ and there are enough of them to overwhelm both the police and the military, the government falls and a riot becomes a coup.
Nah the gov can just roll in tanks.... wait I think China did that already but then according to the gov it was due to the fact only a small number of people were protesting and the gov have no choice but to run them over with tanks so the country as a whole can move forward. No mention of apolgy.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote