REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

hud 91gt 02-27-2020 09:55 AM

I’m 50% panic. Not for the flu, for the crash :(

Spoon 02-27-2020 11:05 AM

10% drop is hardly a crash. Markets have tripled since 2008, if the virus is the next bubonic plague I won't even touch stocks unless it drops another 30-40%.

underscore 02-27-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8975502)
We also have a much higher population and way more rapid travel which makes it much easier to spread.

10 months after the Spanish Flu started millions of soldiers were crammed together and then slowly dispersed over large parts of the world after the war ended. That's definitely going to make it a lot worse.

whitev70r 02-27-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8975733)
Markets are crashing. Are we in panic mode yet?

TSX literally crashed, had to halt trading for an hour. Technical issues, I think.

hud 91gt 02-27-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8975744)
10% drop is hardly a crash. Markets have tripled since 2008, if the virus is the next bubonic plague I won't even touch stocks unless it drops another 30-40%.

What do you think a crash is? This is a dip. 50% panic is for the potential of a crash. As if it hits, it won’t be pretty.

Presto 02-27-2020 02:36 PM

RRxtar 02-27-2020 02:38 PM

In 1918. Millions of soldiers returned from war yes, but most of them were from European to begin with. And most of the world didn't even have cars or travel more than 5 miles from their house. Little different today when over 4 billion people travel by air all around the world for fun. "The most significant figure released was that a record-breaking 4.1 billion passengers flew on scheduled airline services last year."

Hehe 02-27-2020 04:35 PM

If anyone is panic enough, :fuckthatshit: just saw a bunch of hand sanitizers at Costco Surrey by the entrance. So, probably something at every store as those are usually temp/promo items they want to push.

SkinnyPupp 02-27-2020 04:42 PM

Definitely a lot more people out and about in the last few days. Maybe people are getting too comfortable, or maybe just tired of staying home. That's not good, because this is still in full swing. If another grouping of outbreak occurs, it'll hit a lot more people now, masks or no masks.

320icar 02-27-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8975801)
If anyone is panic enough, :fuckthatshit: just saw a bunch of hand sanitizers at Costco Surrey by the entrance. So, probably something at every store as those are usually temp/promo items they want to push.

Shits 100% fucked. The news told everyone to panic and buy stuff. Yesterday we sold out of water, rice, toilet paper etc. We sold all our freezers. Yet canned goods were fine! But our tofu and salmon lox and kimchi sold out. Priorities :rukidding:

We did $1.3m in sales yesterday, up ~500k from the previous year that day

Fucking stupid idiot crowd mentality

!LittleDragon 02-27-2020 05:15 PM

Bleach works much better at killing viruses than hand sanitizers. A lot cheaper too... lol

Sanitizers will kill most of the germs and viruses... disinfectants destroys all.

Hehe 02-27-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8975807)
Shits 100% fucked. The news told everyone to panic and buy stuff. Yesterday we sold out of water, rice, toilet paper etc. We sold all our freezers. Yet canned goods were fine! But our tofu and salmon lox and kimchi sold out. Priorities :rukidding:

We did $1.3m in sales yesterday, up ~500k from the previous year that day

Fucking stupid idiot crowd mentality

Hahaha... it's really fucked up when they ask you to stock up and yet don't really tell you exactly what to stock.

Cans are great as they can be consumed without fire/water (in case of loss of basic utilities).

There are a lot of microwaveable rice and stuff (room temp) at Costco that are really good too. They can be consumed without any processing. Not very tasty, but perfectly safe.

I am cheap AF, so I usually stock up stuff already on non-perishable items like toilet paper, cans, pastas and all sort of crap when they go on sale. The only recent addition when the virus thing started was organic whole milk for kids (the one that needs no fridge) from US as that's the one thing I need if shit hit the fans and we want to avoid going out as much as possible. Also added a few big jug of distilled water that technically has no shelf life that I put in the crawspace with a few boxes of wine I have down there. :D

All in all, between whatever in the fridge, pantry and garage, our family can stay inside comfortable for 2wks and up to 6 or so if we ration everything.

And really, it should be something on everyone's home, not because of virus, but because our location on the fire belt for quakes.

eclipseman 02-27-2020 07:44 PM

Went by Costco downtown at around 1:30pm today...Could not even find parking. It's never crowded during the weekdays...

Went inside and stocked up on various, many people were doing the same thing. They sold out of the lysol wipes as well...not sure when they'll restock.

Hondaracer 02-27-2020 08:34 PM

Lol..”stocking up” ..

You’re more likely to have to stock up due to Trudeaus ineptitude rather than this years form of the flu bra’s

Rallydrv 02-27-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !LittleDragon (Post 8975808)
Bleach works much better at killing viruses than hand sanitizers. A lot cheaper too... lol

Sanitizers will kill most of the germs and viruses... disinfectants destroys all.

R u using bleach to sanitize Ur hands in random places.. Hope not!

ilovebacon 02-27-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8975722)
Make sure the alochol level is around 70 to 77%. If it is too low or too high it won't kill bacteria.

This is what I purchased. I was hoping it would be a big bottle but 8 oz is just a cup...

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Assured...RD6XULKTQXTB7P

ilovebacon 02-27-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !LittleDragon (Post 8975808)

Unless you want dry crusty hands haha. Bleach is bad for my skin since I have sensitive skin too.

Rallydrv 02-27-2020 10:23 PM

^ not just bad, its toxic, can cause nerve damage etc.

!LittleDragon 02-27-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rallydrv (Post 8975841)
R u using bleach to sanitize Ur hands in random places.. Hope not!

LOL... no, I'm not doing anything. Not living my life in fear... but don't use the bleach straight obviously. A few drops in a bucket of rainwater for a few hours will make it potable in an emergency. You can use a few drops with water in a portable spray bottle if hand sanitizer becomes hard to find.

SkinnyPupp 02-27-2020 11:27 PM

The point of washing your hands with soap or alcohol isn't to "kill the virus", it's to clean off all the gunk on your hands that the virus resides in. Don't use bleach omg

!LittleDragon 02-28-2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8975855)
The point of washing your hands with soap or alcohol isn't to "kill the virus", it's to clean off all the gunk on your hands that the virus resides in. Don't use bleach omg

From the CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/ma...bleach-hth.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf..._flyer_508.pdf

SkinnyPupp 02-28-2020 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !LittleDragon (Post 8975862)

Well yeah, dilute it first, then you can wash your hands

Raid3n 02-28-2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 8975843)
This is what I purchased. I was hoping it would be a big bottle but 8 oz is just a cup...

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Assured...RD6XULKTQXTB7P

lol $50 for 8oz. bottle?! XD

Simplex123 02-28-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8975722)
Make sure the alochol level is around 70 to 77%. If it is too low or too high it won't kill bacteria.

I was curious after reading this comment and went digging to find out why there is a specific range between 0-100% alcohol. I wasn't able to find a clear answer why.. I guess anything higher would damage our hands or become too flammable? But I was reading info from the CDC and they mentioned to "clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60 to 95% alcohol".

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...when-sick.html

SumAznGuy 02-28-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex123 (Post 8975877)
I was curious after reading this comment and went digging to find out why there is a specific range between 0-100% alcohol. I wasn't able to find a clear answer why.. I guess anything higher would damage our hands or become too flammable? But I was reading info from the CDC and they mentioned to "clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60 to 95% alcohol".

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...when-sick.html

Alcohol will evaporate. If the alcohol content is too high, it was evaporate too fast and isn't able to kill the germs is what I was told.