REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #13626
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Keep those fuckin English lit degrees coming though.
Hey, we need Starbucks barista’s too
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #13627
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Foreigners have been nearly completely banned from Japan since the very start of this whole thing with no lifts the entire time, they're not a particularly good example to use.

I should have clarified, I care nothing about the risk to unvaccinated people. I don't care if they get sick anymore, they've had ample opportunity. Me caring about them isn't going to make them change their mind and get vaccinated. If countries in Africa (example) don't have enough money for vaccines, the western world should help them out. That's a totally different problem. If those countries feel at risk in the meantime, they should isolate.

If you go back through our own government's media releases this fall... both federal and provincial... you would see that everyone was led to believe it was no longer risky. Fluid situation? Yes... but full steam ahead.

Heck, just yesterday I got an email from the City of Victoria promoting me to go over there and enjoy their Christmas rides and festivities.
First I just want to make it clear that I wasn't going after everyone who wants to travel. If it sounded that way, it's my bad.

It's definitely risky to travel, and booking a sunny vacation during a pandemic is always doing to be risky. Part of that risk is - new variant pops up and you lose your booking. It sucks, but there's nothing you can do. There's a pandemic. I remember as soon as Omicron popped up, I joked that if you want to travel, you better do it this week. 2 weeks later here we are

Japan was open to foreigners again, starting with specific cases (students, "business" aka rich people) and was going to increase from there. Believe me I keep an eye on that, it's the #1 place I want to go. I have family there that I normally visit 2-3 times a year, and haven't been there since 2019.

As for the government, sure you can go into groups now and hockey games and what not.. But again, there's a pandemic, things can change. Soon they won't be able to fill a hockey arena, etc...

Hopefully this highly contagious yet less effective virus spells the end for covid without wreaking too much havoc. UK is up to like 88K cases a day now, higher than peak 2020. Thankfully deaths haven't been trending that high yet. But it still has to be handled properly...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #13628
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
I can only speak for what I saw on one particular destination, Thailand, but to travel there (besides the testing requirements) you had to purchase a mandatory Covid medical insurance coverage policy upon arrival from them in case you should get it and end up hospitalized there.

Yah I been watching Japan the whole time too, impossible to enter as a tourist............ have a better chance of becoming an Olympian at an obscure sport than getting in another way hahaha... this whole thing potentially wrecked my plans to spend 3+ months over there hiking/camping across the country. Getting too old now for it and family situations not trending toward having patience for me to be away for that amount of time.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #13629
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Are there any travel insurance policies that'll cover you for paying for a hotel in a foreign country if you test positive?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #13630
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ This is where a benevolent dictator would be ...
Why do I feel like this is either:

a) rarer than a unicorn
b) a great name for a band
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #13631
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
There’s that English degree coming through.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #13632
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Hey, we need Starbucks barista’s too
I was one for 3 months after I graduated too!
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #13633
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
It's more of the fact that if you're positive they won't let you back into Canada I don't think. You won't be allowed on the plane.

But then who knows, word from everyone is that airports don't give a fuck and quarantine is voluntary
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #13634
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
I saw a family friend on weekend, he’s taken 37 PCR tests so far, said it’s like 1/3 of the time on entering Canada no one does anything
Old 12-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #13635
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ This is where a benevolent dictator would be preferred over a democracy that changes government and priorities every 2-4 years.
Except that there are no "benevolent dictators" and won't ever be one because absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:41 AM   #13636
Performance Moderator

Both times back from Point Roberts now they just asked me if I was vaxxed and if I had filled out ArriveCAN or not (which leads me to believe they can't just "see it" on their screens as many people seem to think) to which I just verbally said yes and they said see ya later.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #13637

Ahhh I love it
Old 12-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #13638
Performance Moderator

I’m gonna be honest, although I surface level disagree with the seriousness of omicron, I can’t bring myself to read articles by the National Post when they pop up… I tried… but it’s just so angry white man trying to file up other white mans
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #13639
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Oh great, more discussion about new public health orders in BC:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2021/1...view-holidays/

This is one thing that I do not understand about these public health orders.

Okay, so. Dr. Henry is saying that if a BC resident does not know that everyone at a small gathering at home is double vaxxed, that person should not attend these gatherings.

Then you have large public events like the Bryan Adams concert at Rogers Arena on New Year's Eve where you hope that arena staff are scanning QR codes from vaccine cards from every concert fan in attendance at that concert instead of random checking of vaccination status.

Is Dr. Henry saying that the risk of contracting Covid or the Omicron variant at a family dinner at home just as great or greater than the risk of contracting Covid at a concert venue?

I also look at the risk of catching Covid in terms of number of people. For example: 7 to 10 people at a family dinner during the holidays.

-concert for Bryan Adams on New Year's Eve at Roger Arena if sold out: 20,734 people.

She cannot be serious?? As if concert fans at the Bryan Adams concert are gonna be wearing masks as a majority like Canucks fans at a hockey game.

If public health orders from Dr. Henry are going to focus on private gatherings at homes, then how the heck do these health orders protect B.C. residents fro the risk of Covid/Omicron at a sold out Bryan Adams concert of over 20 thousand people, if vaccination status is not confirmed by arena staff for every person at the concert??

Last edited by pastarocket; 12-16-2021 at 01:52 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #13640

The rogers arena staff do a very good job at checking status and pass you on to the next step once you’re confirmed or whatever for the ticketing. In terms of large scale events I’d say it’s about as good as I’ve seen
Old 12-16-2021, 02:51 PM   #13641

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I’m gonna be honest, although I surface level disagree with the seriousness of omicron, I can’t bring myself to read articles by the National Post when they pop up… I tried… but it’s just so angry white man trying to file up other white mans
Yea it’s all just click bait opinion peices, the title just got a laugh out of me
Old 12-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #13642
Performance Moderator

I don't see the problem there, you have to trust that staff at places like Rogers are doing what they're supposed to.

I don't trust restaurants as much, fast food ones in particular... very hit and miss... but I don't expect much from them either.

And it's common sense right? I went to play floor hockey last night and the organizer does not check passports and I know for a fact one of the guys there refuses to use whatsapp because "the governments are watching" so I would say 99% chance he is not vaccinated too... didn't want to ask him... I stopped short of actually leaving, but I just made sure I'm on the other team and every time he shifted on I shifted off.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #13643

I’ve said it before and I’ll reiterate. If restaurants you are going to, you can’t trust with the basics of the vaccine passport, they sure as shit don’t care about food safety or quality either. Professionalism carries throughout its operations, or, it doesn’t.
I’ve never once walked into a restaurant without being asked for my vaccine passport and ID, and I eat out at least once a week.
Fast food restaurants are not supposed to check.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #13644
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Wow I thought those predictions of 2K a day by boxing day were way off the mark, but we're already in the mid 700s today
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 03:11 PM   #13645
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Fast food restaurants are not supposed to check.
Aren't they if you are staying/they have a sitting area.

Ie: Subway... Mucho Burrito... these type of places??? Mucho always checks me.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #13646

Counter service places don’t require it
Old 12-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #13647

The thing with omiricon is that even if you have two shots, 3 shots you can still get it. I'm sure the current vaccines aren't that effective or else the numbers will not go up this quicky. The gov is just trying to hush hush about it and try to get everyone on the third shot. They don't want to create mass panic like how they said no masks required guys, best summer ever, best Christmas ever!

Even if every one is vaccinated in a concert, doesn't mean that ppl aren't positive and it's not being spread since the data shows how infectious it is.

So you can't really just be like hurr Durr I have three shots bro, won't die, you can still get infected and test positive. Which = stay at home quarantine, sick, infect others. I'm sure they don't want massive outbreaks with thousands of cases from a concert. when the modelling is already predicting thousands of cases.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #13648

Back to the basement indefinitely! Everyone hide yo wife hide yo kids cause they infectin everyone out thur.
Remember concerts = dangerous
Hockey games = safe because Bonnie Henry likes hockey.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #13649
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Wow I thought those predictions of 2K a day by boxing day were way off the mark, but we're already in the mid 700s today
2K a day it'll be 20K at minimum
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #13650

It's happening, 753 cases and 135 ormicon, better go on that vacation before they close the border