REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Where's the last place you ate at and rate it ... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/530956-wheres-last-place-you-ate-rate.html)

sonick 02-25-2018 08:19 AM

Seems so hard to get in to these new-ish hot places like Savio, St Lawrence, without booking weeks in advance.

westopher 02-25-2018 08:53 AM

Savio isn't too bad as you can walk in at off peak times and get a seat at the bar. I've never been to st Lawrence yet, but I think the hype will die down. Its also a very small place, so understandable how it fills up so fast.
Either way, at those prices (not that they are overpriced, just that its a lot for the average person to spend on a meal regularly), they are special occasion places for most of us, so I see no harm in having to make a reso a few weeks away.

ZN6 02-25-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8890270)
i do love sausage though

:ifyouknow:

Spoiler!

Cr33pUh 02-25-2018 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8890221)
Sounds like a fun game.
However, just to clarify your question, wait you mean 6 meals to eat within a day, like breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, late night? Or just 6 places I would go, anytime of the day?
Who or how do you eat 6 times in a day lol.
And you mean city, any city in the world or just Greater Vancouver?

Hm, let me clarify since it seemed pretty vague.

Criteria:
If we're including Breakfast, let's make it 7 meals. You can call the meals however you'd like haha.
7 meals. Meals can be sit down meals (Ramen, Burgers, Pasta) or Snacks (Fried chicken, Dessert, etc). Coffee doesn't not count.
Max price = $25
You can eat wherever as long as you have 6 meals a day starting within GVRD.

6793026 02-25-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 8890276)
Seems so hard to get in to these new-ish hot places like Savio, St Lawrence, without booking weeks in advance.

really?

I don't consider Savio as new as it must have been many years now.
Falk, I forgot when I posted my experience on it.

St. Lawrence is newer and they constantly change their menu. It is a much smaller place to say the least.

I gotta say, you are not going to see people going to St. Lawrence a lot as it is pricey and second of all, it's not that "famous" so you don't see a lot of people wearing gucci and prade high school kids going there anytime soon.

Lastly, I have never had an issue getting a spot. Due to a lot of no shows, they have a set # of tables for on-line. Each time I called (last 4 times I went to both places and EVEN during dine out time (i told them I'm not eating dine out), EVERY place i called welcomed me and made accommodations to seat a table of 4). On-line... ZERO luck.

Just pick up the phone.

sonick 02-25-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 8890403)
really?

I don't consider Savio as new as it must have been many years now.
Falk, I forgot when I posted my experience on it.

St. Lawrence is newer and they constantly change their menu. It is a much smaller place to say the least.

I gotta say, you are not going to see people going to St. Lawrence a lot as it is pricey and second of all, it's not that "famous" so you don't see a lot of people wearing gucci and prade high school kids going there anytime soon.

Lastly, I have never had an issue getting a spot. Due to a lot of no shows, they have a set # of tables for on-line. Each time I called (last 4 times I went to both places and EVEN during dine out time (i told them I'm not eating dine out), EVERY place i called welcomed me and made accommodations to seat a table of 4). On-line... ZERO luck.

Just pick up the phone.

Yeah that's why I suffixed with -ish, as the seem like the 'new batch', vs the older but consistent places like maenam, fable, Campagnolo, pidgin type places. And true, I was mostly looking online, I should try calling.

Obsideon 02-27-2018 09:18 PM

6793026 has a pretty solid list.
I'll add to that for some cheap good bites cuz it's unrealistic to eat 6 full on meals you would explode.

In no specific order:
LA Chicken - spicy fried chicken
Newton's Beef Noodle - beef tendon noodle
Finch's - Pear Sandwich
Dinesty - Soup Dumpling XLB
Mui Garden - Curry
Oakwood - brunch, smoked brisket egg sandwich
Santouka - Tsukemen

Galactic_Phantom 03-15-2018 10:20 PM

Stem Japanese in Burnaby 1/10

$230 before tips for 3, small portions of mediocre to garbage food

sonick 03-17-2018 03:30 PM

Going to Singapore, Bangkok, and Phuket late April. Can anybody provide food recommendations for any of those places?

mr_chin 03-22-2018 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 8893744)
Going to Singapore, Bangkok, and Phuket late April. Can anybody provide food recommendations for any of those places?

Strictly Dumpling on YouTube have probably been to those places, should check his channel out.

dlo 03-24-2018 11:09 PM

foodranger videos are entertaining too :lol

Verdasco 03-25-2018 12:25 AM

old beijing roasted duck on west broadway

went couple days ago, price was $138 per duck, complained about service and time (2 hours for the full set to come out)

didn't tip, even gave me $60.00 worth of coupon to come back before I left

I ripped the coupon in half and left it at the restaurant.

Bill was $375.00 for like 4 people

so fucking bad, dont go please, i warn you

food is garbage! even a shady chinese restaurant is better.

it was $18 for a couple pieces of fruit. Let that sink in

Spoon 03-25-2018 08:03 AM

https://d2ciprw05cjhos.cloudfront.ne...?itok=0jMwJhrz

Saw this picture and already know it's not my type of place. :fuckthatshit:

bcrdukes 03-25-2018 08:06 AM

Wow, Verdasco. You got raped. :fuckthatshit:

westopher 03-25-2018 08:09 AM

That is the worst fucking plating I have ever seen in my life.

Verdasco 03-25-2018 10:09 AM

went outside of that restaurant after and saw a 300k bentley and a 2015 458 italia

its just one of those rich restaurants for rich mainlanders who have zero taste. I was forced to go not seeing any review before I went.. wish I did.

the only point I see in people actually going if they do not have a care of money (filthy rich)

A LOT of young teens and early 20 year olds ate with their girlfriend prostitutes LUL

Presto 03-26-2018 11:59 PM

Shameful Tiki Room

Nachos 6.5/10

Drinks 10/10

There's food, but if you're at this place, you're here for the cocktails. They have some drinks meant for 2+ people, and there's some fanfare whenever one of them are served. I'm a fan of the Mystery Bowl service. They bang a gong, and all the staff chants, "Myyysstterryyy...... Booooowwll!"

They also have a lot of rums to try out. There's a companion "passport" to track your progress.

Make reservations!

roastpuff 03-27-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 8893744)

For Singapore, No Signboard Seafood, and Samy's Fish Head Curry (Fort Dempsey). Two of my must-go's.

Lau Pa Sat (Old Market) is fun for hawker centres, and the Newton Hawker Centre has a great selection as well. Look at HungryGoWhere for local recommendations.

sonick 03-27-2018 07:19 AM

Au Comptoir 8/10

Foie & brioche was great. Rich buttery bread.
Pork Cheek was pretty standard for that type of dish.
Smoked ling cod was nicely done, delicate fish but bold smoke. Short rib croquette was awesome.

6793026 03-27-2018 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8895012)

exactly. I was there but didn't order the duck cause it was just way too pricey. Fact I haven't tried it (the $130+ duck) doesn't give me a right to rate it so I won't.

The menu of the fruit for $18 was a wtf moment for me too.

Obsideon 03-27-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_chin (Post 8894713)
Strictly Dumpling on YouTube have probably been to those places, should check his channel out.

I make it a habit of checking out his videos of every city I plan to visit.
He posted up this video of this Taipei buffet literally 2 hours after I got on the train to Kaohsiung ... :okay:

Obsideon 03-27-2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8895012)
old beijing roasted duck on west broadway
went couple days ago, price was $138 per duck, complained about service and time (2 hours for the full set to come out)
didn't tip, even gave me $60.00 worth of coupon to come back before I left
I ripped the coupon in half and left it at the restaurant.
Bill was $375.00 for like 4 people
so fucking bad, dont go please, i warn you
food is garbage! even a shady chinese restaurant is better.

Thanked.
Saved me an ass gouging. I almost went there yesterday for lunch when I was on the way to Bed, Bath and Beyond lol.

Verdasco 03-29-2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8895334)
Thanked.
Saved me an ass gouging. I almost went there yesterday for lunch when I was on the way to Bed, Bath and Beyond lol.

no worries, the place just felt like a scam and a rip off.... I just had to write a post online here. My family member who went wrote it on their yelp haha

Gnomes 03-30-2018 09:56 PM

Nanaimo sushi
Used to go there for affordable larger than usual portion of sashimi and nigiri. Time jump a couple of years and portion shrunk considerably.
8/10 down to 6/10

BIC_BAWS 04-26-2018 11:36 AM

Boy With A Knife - 7-3331 Viking Way, Richmond, BC

Great place to eat, just 5 minutes walk from work (or less), but mom didn't want to walk so I drove 1 minute LOL. Boy with a Knife has two sections the Deli and the Grill.

Deli is a 8/10
Quality, good portioned, and healthy sandwiches/salads/soups. Sandwich will set you back $9.00. I also like how they carry Postmark beer.

Grill is 7/10
Food tastes great, but I can't believe I paid $18 for LUNCH. Very pricey on the Grill side, minimum $15 for a burger.

They're partnered with this app called GlancePay. Take a picture of the receipt, and they give you $5 off the bill for just using the app to pay (for the first two purchases).