REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Fried chicken (https://www.revscene.net/forums/620913-fried-chicken.html)

rageguy 02-09-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jer3 (Post 7789563)
spicy thigh burger is money. so fucking delicious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestTea (Post 7789606)
SO FUCKING TRUE! Fresh Spicy Thigh burger is MONEY!

Although I had a soggy one once...:okay:

Just tried out the spicy thigh burger at Church's. OMG. That was so good.

Mining 02-09-2012 07:55 PM

ebisu on robson

HonestTea 02-09-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageguy (Post 7791842)
Just tried out the spicy thigh burger at Church's. OMG. That was so good.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001..._1_xlarge.jpeg

Obsideon 02-09-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmodeus (Post 7791871)
ebisu on robson

http://www.ebisu.ca/robson/images/gallery/gallery09.jpg
:alonehappy:

willystyle 02-09-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 7792014)

Shameless promotion, much? :P

willystyle 02-09-2012 09:34 PM

Hows the fried chicken at the 7-eleven on joyce and kingsway?

Obsideon 02-09-2012 10:27 PM

Ahahaha well a couple pages back I was raving about LA Chicken ... I never mentioned Ebisu until Asmodeus brought it up ;)

... BUT you gotta admit our Chicken Karaage has got big and juicy chunks of boneless chicken, it's our best seller! :awwyeah:

Death2Theft 02-09-2012 10:51 PM

People need to ask for fresh chicken at the franchise joints.

Recon604 02-09-2012 10:59 PM

churches chiken da best

TypeRNammer 02-10-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 7792028)
Hows the fried chicken at the 7-eleven on joyce and kingsway?

It's kind of on the dry size, but it looks pretty though :alonehappy:

Last time I ate it my face broke out the day after :fuuuuu:

Not really racist! 02-10-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 7792094)
Ahahaha well a couple pages back I was raving about LA Chicken ... I never mentioned Ebisu until Asmodeus brought it up ;)

... BUT you gotta admit our Chicken Karaage has got big and juicy chunks of boneless chicken, it's our best seller! :awwyeah:

Ebisu chicken is pretty tasty I have to admit

Culverin 02-11-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiSix (Post 7789588)
Culverin: What do you do with the left over oil?

Depends what I end up frying. If it's like store bought hashbrowns, fries or gyoza, then the oil last longer. Ditto with anything in beer batter.

But when you start doing chicken, or like pub style wings night at home, then you might only be able to get 1 session out of it. The flour gets in there an burns. I'm still looking for a filter I can hook up to it and stretch my oil out for 2-3 sessions.

CorneringArtist 02-11-2012 04:21 PM

Was given a discount on a 3 piece meal at Churches. Meal was supposed to be like 10 bucks taxed in, but came out to 7.90. Guess it was because I was wearing my Toyota uniform since everyone there knows one of the service advisors from his church.

When I got my total I was like :pokerface: then :fullofwin:. Delicious meal was delicious.

godwin 02-11-2012 05:30 PM

I thought you guys would like to try these:

KFC that pulls rank on the Colonel - The Globe and Mail

Zabu Chicken's "Zabu Soy Original" with a side of pickled radish in Vancouver Feb. 2, 2012.

John Lehmann/The Globe and Mail

The Dish
KFC that pulls rank on the Colonel
ALEXANDRA GILL | Columnist profile | E-mail
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Feb. 03, 2012 7:26PM EST
Last updated Friday, Feb. 03, 2012 7:32PM EST
Happy Day Metro House

109-5021 Kingsway, Burnaby

604-431-6995

$45 for chicken for two with beer, tax and tip

Cuisine: Korean

Zabu Chicken

1635 Robson St., Vancouver

604-602-0021

$40 for chicken for two with beer, tax and tip

Cuisine: Korean

During a 10-hour stopover in Seoul last month, I went on a whirlwind culinary tour with an expat food blogger. We hoofed it to a street vendor for freshly steamed kimchi buns, made a mad dash through narrow cobblestone alleys to snack on hand-shaped dumplings stuffed with pork, crushed tofu and sweet potato noodles, then sat down to 12 quick-fire courses at a gourmet Buddhist temple restaurant. Sadly, one local taste sensation we didn’t have time to try was the city’s famous KFC – the other kind.

“You’ve never had Korean fried chicken?” my guide exclaimed, as we devoured deep-fried shitake mushrooms brushed with a sweetly sour chili glaze, the monks’ refined vegan variation.

No, I hadn’t. But upon returning to Vancouver, I made it my mission to find some of this crisp, papery skinned, American-inspired bird that has flown the coop and fluttered full circle, recently ascending as one of the trendiest comfort foods in New York and Los Angeles.

A cross between Southern fried chicken and Buffalo wings, Korean fried chicken (yangnyeom dak) acquires its distinctive crunch from a par-frying technique that renders the fat from the skin, making it thinner and less greasy. Although recipes vary, the chicken is usually dredged in a fine-flour batter, fried for 10 minutes at a relatively low heat and shaken vigorously in a wire strainer to smooth out the coating’s nubs and crags. After being quickly cooled, it is plunged back into the deep fryer until evenly browned and tossed in sauce, which is absorbed through the lean crust without getting soggy.

The search led to Happy Day Metro House, a garishly lit outpost on Kingsway near Boundary Road. Seated at a spacious purple booth while being serenaded by Korean pop and Katy Perry, a friend and I were slightly disappointed to discover that this suburban dive doesn’t provide the customary complements of pickled radish (their wilted broccoli banchan looked awfully sad) or Korean beer (we made do with draft glasses of Okanagan Spring lager). Happy Day does, however, offer massively mounded plates of “real potato chips” (imagine the spiraled “hurricanes” at Richmond Night Market, plucked off their wooden skewers and heavily salted).

After perusing a confusing menu (three menus, actually) with 20-odd fried chicken dishes overlapping in several sections, we eventually settled on spicy drumsticks and a combo platter of boneless white and dark meat with mustard sauce on the side.

“On the side?” an otherwise aloof waitress asked quizzically. Lesson learned: Don’t ignore a server’s subtle hints when dining in unfamiliar territory.

There was nothing wrong with our long juicy tenders buried under slivered green onions. Or the mustard sauce, a magnificently sinus-tingling, minced garlic slurry. Pale golden breading was thicker than expected, leading us to wonder if the chicken had been fried only once – or perhaps brined and steamed before frying (the method David Chang uses for his rarefied Korean fried poulet rouge at Momofuku Noodle Bar.)

But when reheating the leftover pieces (still crisp and moist two days later), I couldn’t help thinking that we had missed a potentially explosive KFC moment by not eating them sizzling hot right out of the fryer, all tangled up in sticky scallion clumps. If you go, order your chicken as the server suggests – although you can safely skip the spicy drumsticks (more delicately fried, but heavy-handedly smeared in goopy, fermented-chili gochujang).

A modern snack food not served in traditional restaurants, Korean fried chicken is still a stealthy target in Greater Vancouver. Zabu Chicken was the only other place I could find it.

Painted in wall-to-wall black and pulsing with bubbly pop music, this rowdy student hangout in the West End’s little Korea Town is more of a late-night bar than restaurant. But it does offer take-out, plenty of Korean beer (including a shattered bottle of Hite that one very tipsy urban soldier dropped at our feet) and extremely addictive, crackly crusted, lightly sauced KFC.

While Zabu’s “freshest, not frozen” chicken can be ordered in various portions of wings and sticks, I suggest the “original,” a whole chicken hacked into bite-sized pieces with all its flavourful thigh meat and finely crusted back bones that are such fun to scrape and chomp. Especially when tossed in Zabu’s finger-licking soy garlic sauce, a mildly sweet honey-garlic glaze ignited by savoury umami. And served with a refreshing side dish of pickled radish.

Mission deliciously accomplished.

© 2012 The Globe and Mail Inc. All Rights Reserved.

willystyle 02-11-2012 05:37 PM

^ I've had Zabu Chicken countless of times. It's great, but overpriced. The owner told me that it's double fried.

Church's > Zabu

willystyle 02-11-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Chatterbox (Post 7793775)
Let's be honest here.

Anything Korean here in North America is overpriced. Don't even deny it because it's true.

You mean in Vancouver? Korean food in the States is cheap (Seattle, LA, SF).

HonestTea 02-12-2012 08:04 PM

The chipotle burger was just alright. The Spicy thigh sandwich is miles better IMO

corollagtSr5 02-12-2012 09:05 PM

The restaurant called "happy day" in the globe and mail is the old Lee's chicken. I like zabu chicken, but it is over priced. Also the spicy thigh sandwich is very delicious. Better than chipotle chicken breast sandwich.

WeezyFBaaby 02-14-2012 11:04 PM

LA chicken has THE best deep fried chicken ever
Richmond No.5 n Cambie

jonwon 02-15-2012 11:52 PM

chicken party on north road is pretty good, the garlic soy was money. surprisingly, koreans know how to make good fried chicken.

CRS 02-16-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonwon (Post 7798397)
chicken party on north road is pretty good, the garlic soy was money. surprisingly, koreans know how to make good fried chicken.

How is that surprising?

Fried chicken is HUGE in Korea.

jonwon 02-16-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 7798434)
How is that surprising?

Fried chicken is HUGE in Korea.

ya i was unaware of this until i went to korea and man was that shit good, ate it almost everyday i was there. prior to that i just thought koreans were into spicy foods

FeistyBearH22a 02-16-2012 03:24 AM

Not really in the lower mainland but for non flips you guys should really try jollibee fried chicken. They call em chicken joys. LOL so damn good.
Posted via RS Mobile

FeistyBearH22a 02-16-2012 03:27 AM

I've also heard good things about Chester fried at 7/11 corner of Joyce and kingsway
Posted via RS Mobile

red_sir 02-16-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Chatterbox (Post 7798474)
That's because Korean food lacks any kind of creativity and nowhere what one could even consider a 'cuisine" because all they did was rob ideas from the Chinese, Japanese and now North American styles of cooking.

You sound very opinionated... too bad your opinion is retarded. A country's cuisine is a reflection of it's history and trade with other countries. Pretty obvious Korean food is going to be influenced by the Chinese and Japanese and vice versa.