REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

Manic! 03-22-2024 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 9130066)
At the very least, the British Royal Family is a *HUGE* tourism driver to their country. While they are certainly funded by taxpayers, I am willing to be that their net contribution to the UK GDP is far bigger than the average Briton.

Among the current Royal Family, Kate also one of the most well-liked, if not the most well-liked Royal Family member, so there is also that.

Assuming Kate is able to make a full recovery, I'm sure she'd be spending a good amount of her time doing charity work for cancer research and such. For someone with her level of star power, it will certainly attract more funding into the field.

How many people do you know that have gone to the UK just to see the Royal family? Even without the Royal family the palaces would still exist.

The government would be better off just giving the money to Taylor Swift and have her perform 3 times a week at wembley stadium.

68style 03-22-2024 02:15 PM

I guess that would work for you, because she's 1 rich white bitch you actually do like lol

SkinnyPupp 03-22-2024 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 9130044)
Sad news from the Royal Family.

Princess Kate made an announcement about her health issues. Cancer.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/22/uk/ka...gbr/index.html

If I remember correctly, King Charles is also undergoing cancer treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't really follow it, but for the past few weeks everyone had figured out they were putting out fake images of her... I guess this is one of the very few times a bunch of jabronis on twitter actually figured something out.

Traum 03-22-2024 03:19 PM

Remember when QE2 passed away? Gobs tons of people went to the UK to pay tribute to her in person.

Even King Charles' coronation lead to a tourist boom for Britain, and he is the least popular Royal.

The Royals and the Buckingham Palace aren't Disneyland where you go there specifically just for that attraction. It is more of a must-visit type of place when you are travelling there, or one of the many attractions that adds to your desires to go to UK in general.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 9130079)
How many people do you know that have gone to the UK just to see the Royal family? Even without the Royal family the palaces would still exist.

The government would be better off just giving the money to Taylor Swift and have her perform 3 times a week at wembley stadium.

PeanutButter 03-22-2024 03:56 PM

Are the Royals that bad? It's not like they're Kim Jong Un.
They do a lot of diplomatic things, I suspect.

It's not their fault their grand father's conquered England, they're just preserving their legacy. I'm pretty ignorant on the topic though.

I like the Royals.

Hondaracer 03-22-2024 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 9130101)
Are the Royals that bad? It's not like they're Kim Jong Un.
They do a lot of diplomatic things, I suspect.

It's not their fault their grand father's conquered England, they're just preserving their legacy. I'm pretty ignorant on the topic though.

I like the Royals.

Brah.. you realize the entire point of the monarchy is to have this god like entity for the peasants to look up to to realize there’s a higher order in this life? lol

Obviously the Crown is largely exaggerated however, the Royal families impact and inability to adapt to the times has indebted the UK negatively thousands of times in the past century.

Then you look at their influence within the govt. during issues like conflicts in Northern Ireland etc.

They are all peices of shit who frankly, the world would be better off without.

Their celebrity status is somthing you’re born into and to Manics point, at least Taylor Swift worked for her stardom. To hear Harry and Meghan drone on about how upset they are and how rough of a life they live makes me want to puke.

At the VERY VERY least, Canada should cut all ties to the monarchy. If you were actually truthful in your quest for “reconciliation” this would have happened long ago. But no.. we have prince charles come here and he can barely choke out the words residential schools

Manic! 03-22-2024 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9130089)
I guess that would work for you, because she's 1 rich white bitch you actually do like lol

At least her family does not have a history of Inbreading,
mass murder and talking from the poor.

spoon.ek9 03-22-2024 07:05 PM

there's also all the stolen artifacts kept in museums that they refuse to return to their native countries.

Traum 03-22-2024 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 9130113)
there's also all the stolen artifacts kept in museums that they refuse to return to their native countries.

The British Pirates... ahem... Navy, were definitely the most notorious robbers of its time. By a pure stroke of luck, however, their acts of robbery have also preserved a lot of Chinese artifacts.

I'm also willing to bet that by yet another pure stroke of luck, a good number of Afghan artifacts have also been preserved because of that British robbery.

Manic! 03-22-2024 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 9130116)
The British Pirates... ahem... Navy, were definitely the most notorious robbers of its time. By a pure stroke of luck, however, their acts of robbery have also preserved a lot of Chinese artifacts.

I'm also willing to bet that by yet another pure stroke of luck, a good number of Afghan artifacts have also been preserved because of that British robbery.

And how many people did they kill so preserve those artifacts.

Ever heard of the Benin Bronzes?

https://therabbitisin.com/fact-about...7-f93f63d8691c

Quote:

The bombardment of Benin began on the 9th of February, 1897. Although the Benin forces tried to repel the attack (commando style) but their weapons which mainly consisted of machetes, spears and arrows were no match for the British sophisticated rifles and cannons. All houses in the kingdom were torched, the people were killed irrespective of their gender, age, and status. And interestingly, the African fraction of the British troops did most part of the fighting, while the British soldiers sat behind machine guns and canons.

Shortly after ravaging the kingdom, Oba Ovoramwen was captured by British Consul-general Ralph Moor and cast before the British law.

Oba Ovoramwen Nogbaisi was tried and was found guilty. He was then deposed and with two of his wives, exiled to Calabar where he died in January 1914. After Benin was successfully laid in ruins, the British troops looted the kingdom and carted away its precious artifacts and artworks. The booties were auctioned off to defray the cost of the expedition.
Also the British got their asses handed to them by the Afghans.

Badhobz 03-23-2024 09:34 AM

Yeah but you guys talking about shit that’s like 200-300 years ago.

You can’t judge modern Britton through their ancestors. If that’s the case then we’d all be guilty of some historic injustice. I’m sure I fucked up some Guangdong bastards via my great great great ancestors because I’m from central China and we warred with the north and the south. Or I could have some mongol blood in me and thus a product of the death of millions. Who knows.

Yeah monarchy won’t give these treasures back but they also are doing a decent job and preserving these relics. Seems like a small slight in the grand scheme of things.

GS8 03-23-2024 11:42 AM

My sister in law was diagnosed with stage 2 cervical cancer early last year. Cancer does not run in my family so when we heard stage 2, we thought it was already spreading. However, cancer runs strongly in her family so she gets tested routinely and despite being stage 2, the mass was identified and removed and she's been cancer-free ever since. She can still get cancer again anytime but will continue her routine testing like she always has.

The downside is that her treatment at Surrey Memorial left her with PTSD.

I imagine the PRINCESS will be ok seeing as she probably has some pretty good medical care.

Hondaracer 03-23-2024 12:12 PM

Anyone a sales rep for Toyota here? Dunno if there would be any advantage to dealing with someone specific but I have two friends who have company lease allowances up they both currently have jeeps they will be returning and now looking for 4 runners on a lease

PM me if anyone wants it

ImportPsycho 03-23-2024 12:13 PM

So gas is $2.05... what is latest excuse? Refinery shutdown? Just because?
And Apr 1st hike hasn't even kicked in yet...

Eff-1 03-23-2024 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 9130056)
Fuck the Royal family.

Jeezus. Look guy, from one Indian to another.

The UK will never return those items because (1) they are so integral to their own history and (2) they will never admit any wrongdoing.

But more importantly, you know as well as I do, that if those artifacts were returned to India, it will be a gigantic shitshow.

The government will try and take posession. But the Sikhs will say they belong to them. And even more infighting will start. Protests. Violence. It will be chaos. Nothing in India goes smoothly because nobody over there ever gets along.

We are all better off if the gold stays where it is and just move on with our lives and focus on bigger more pressing issues.

bcrdukes 03-23-2024 12:51 PM

I thought you were white. :suspicious:

Razor Ramon HG 03-23-2024 01:05 PM

Don't know why or what's going on, but my aunt called me and said my cousin's Fiat died. I think it's a Fiat 500.

Apparently a lot of shops don't work on them. They had it towed to a dealership's affiliated bodyshops and they quoted her $170 an hour for labour.

Anyone know a decent shop that will inflict less pain to my cousin's wallet?

EDIT: Just spoke to my cousin, it's a 2013 Fiat 500 and something related to the electrical/computer system.

Badhobz 03-23-2024 03:42 PM

Italian car with bad electrical ? Shocking.
It’s not even worth fixing. Their values are so low that any job over 1k you might as well
Just throw it in the garbage.

Manic! 03-23-2024 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 9130146)
Jeezus. Look guy, from one Indian to another.

The UK will never return those items because (1) they are so integral to their own history and (2) they will never admit any wrongdoing.

But more importantly, you know as well as I do, that if those artifacts were returned to India, it will be a gigantic shitshow.

The government will try and take posession. But the Sikhs will say they belong to them. And even more infighting will start. Protests. Violence. It will be chaos. Nothing in India goes smoothly because nobody over there ever gets along.

We are all better off if the gold stays where it is and just move on with our lives and focus on bigger more pressing issues.

Never say never. Also it's way more than that. What make the royal family so special?

68style 03-23-2024 05:10 PM

India got way bigger things to worry about than where some statues went

donk. 03-23-2024 07:11 PM

^ your right, their monitor lizard species are in danger from human rape

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...20182.ece/amp/

Okay il see my self out

spoon.ek9 03-23-2024 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 9130148)
I thought you were white. :suspicious:

can confirm, met him once for a car photoshoot (of which I still haven't received copies of the photos lol).

GS8 03-23-2024 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9130134)
Yeah but you guys talking about shit thatÂ’s like 200-300 years ago.

You canÂ’t judge modern Britton through their ancestors. If thatÂ’s the case then weÂ’d all be guilty of some historic injustice. IÂ’m sure I fucked up some Guangdong bastards via my great great great ancestors because IÂ’m from central China and we warred with the north and the south. Or I could have some mongol blood in me and thus a product of the death of millions. Who knows.

Yeah monarchy wonÂ’t give these treasures back but they also are doing a decent job and preserving these relics. Seems like a small slight in the grand scheme of things.

It's pretty funny listening to bubble dwelling trustfund knobs wag their fingers in disappointment towards human civilizations from 200 years ago while ironically reaping the benefits from those same civilizations from 200 years ago.

Except it's less barbaric now unless you're part of a monitor lizard raping caste system!

Manic! 03-24-2024 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9130160)
India got way bigger things to worry about than where some statues went

It's not just some statues. The royal british museum has one of the oldest copies of the Sikh holy book.

https://barusahib.org/general/350-ye...ritish-museum/

Quote:

The British Museum has split it’s Saroop of Adi Granth into different parts and have committed sacrilege by treating it as a book.

Manjit Singh addressed the concern in 2012 to the British Museum by stating the following:

“The Guru Granth Sahib/Adi Granth should NOT ever be dissected or kept as a ‘book’ in the British Library. This manuscript needs to be ‘reconciled’ with the remaining Adi Granth from which it was dissected. It then needs to be returned to a Sikh gurdwara (Harmandir Sahib in Amritsar) for it to be laid on its canopy and used in worship. Sikhs bow to the Adi Granth. It is NOT a ‘prayer book to be shelved and archived. This manuscript needs to be returned to the Sikh community and given the full regalia that every Guru Granth Sahib is. I would be interested to discuss this matter with the British Library.”
https://i.ibb.co/vLpMqMF/am.webp

GLOW 03-24-2024 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 9130182)

damn, well played
https://media.tenor.com/DQTLq5lYjfgA...ser-cheers.gif

made me remember the time i was talking to one of the engineers i worked with from china & told me china asked the gov for some historical items they looted back in the day returned, they were like nah, we'll keep it here for safe keeping in their museum

don't know if it was truth or if he was salty on past history