REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   OFFICIAL WORKOUT/TRAINING THREAD v2.0 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/659190-official-workout-training-thread-v2-0-a.html)

Phozy 04-24-2012 09:07 PM

^That or Medhi's 5x5. If you're confused about it all, do a little more research about proper form on the bench, row, squat, deadlift, and press. It will all be worth it, just takes practise to get the form down, like anything.

Couple months later, you'll have a nice foundation to build on.

It's like building a house; you cant build stable home if your building on a poor foundation.

subordinate 04-24-2012 09:18 PM

I tweaked my knee a couple weeks back doing power cleans/front squat and stupidly did one too fast.

I thought it healed and when i was testing my highs, around 250. I felt the pain again.
It's on the right, inner side of the knee. I'm probably going to get it checked out, but worth a shot if anyone else experienced similar symptoms?

I know how to squat properly, but guess the injury wasn't fully healed.

subordinate 04-24-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-spec (Post 7897935)
thank you my good sir, nice avatar (no homo.... ok maybe a lil bit)

You said you wanted to get explosive strength, vertical jump etc.

Do Olympic lifts - power cleans, hang cleans, jumping squats.

Vertical box jumps, increasingly higher (from stand still, in motion, or with additional weights).

As Halo said, T-nation has A LOT of articles - just a lot of reading

BrRsn 04-24-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santofu (Post 7898830)
Hey guys, can you educate me the difference between full body workout or 3 split workout days? I started working out and found these links... I can't decide! Help me pick one! TIA

Bodybuilding.com - 5 Workouts For Every Body Part - A Beginner's Guide!
Bodybuilding.com - The Top 3 Muscle Building Routines To Follow For Maximum Muscle Gains!
Bodybuilding.com - The 12-Week Shortcut To Size - Phase 1.
Bodybuilding.com - 20 Powerful Exercises That Will Blast The Fat & Transform Your Body!

I am planning to do core workout at the end of the workout...
But is it recommended to do cardio for warm-up?

wouldn't do cardio for warmup. Start with a simple 5x5 routine (rippetoe or medhi) then after a week or two add in isolation exercises because you won't be lifting anywhere near enough to exhaust yourself fully for the first few months

Alphamale 04-24-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 7899105)
wouldn't do cardio for warmup. Start with a simple 5x5 routine (rippetoe or medhi) then after a week or two add in isolation exercises because you won't be lifting anywhere near enough to exhaust yourself fully for the first few months

Why not? Assuming Santofu is probably pinner as fuck :fullofwin:, what's wrong with doing some cardio? (Not that I read through any of those articles) :okay:

hal0g0dv2 04-24-2012 09:54 PM

Never done cardio to warm up
But that's just me

truth 04-24-2012 10:04 PM

some reason had pain on the bottom of my tricep/elbow which was fucking up my entire chest workout. feelsbadman

SkinnyPupp 04-24-2012 10:16 PM

Started the Waterbury program again. Last time I started I was doing so much less weight. We'll see if the base of strength I built in the last few months puts me into beast mode

Gerbs 04-24-2012 10:54 PM

When do people normally stop rippletoes starting strength? if they would like to pursue bodybuilding instead of power lifting

kevin7352 04-24-2012 11:01 PM

Got bored and decided to write about what I've learned since I started lifting. Don't judge!

Spoiler!

I'm planning on doing a cut now and in the September I'll just keep it at a maintenance or a clean bulk.

Right now I just know to eat lots of meats, veggies, nuts, and drink lots of water. Carbs will be kept to an absolute minimal. Maybe a sandwich post workout.
My routine will be squats, bench, military press, deadlifts, dumbbell rows, chin ups, dips.

Any advice would be appreciated since this is my first time doing a cut.

I gotta admit I don't like to categorize myself as "bulking" or "cutting". I think it's a bit douchey but I guess it is what it is.

Stealthy 04-24-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbs (Post 7899184)
When do people normally stop rippletoes starting strength? if they would like to pursue bodybuilding instead of power lifting

When you've hit a plateau and the noob gains stop. It could be by personal preference of course.

or when you can do this

kevin7352 04-24-2012 11:11 PM

Actually reading strong lift 5x5 for the first time and his diet at least, seems more sensible than rippetoe's diet where he advises on 6000 calories a day and insists that being at 25% body fat is absolutely fine

"Eat proteins, veggies, fruits & fats every 3 hours. 2 cups water with each meal. Carbs post workout only. Junk food 10% of the time. Get stronger in the meanwhile and you'll build muscle & lose fat." -Stronglift

Gerbs 04-24-2012 11:21 PM

When would u say noob gains stop at?

kevin7352 04-24-2012 11:26 PM

when you stall at the same weight for weeks

Alphamale 04-24-2012 11:56 PM

I follow rippetoes for the exercises...not for the diet, LOL.

Just eat what you think you should eat to be healthy unless you're trying to bulk or cut. Then it's mostly about portion size anyway.

SkinnyPupp 04-25-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbs (Post 7899221)
When would u say noob gains stop at?

I stopped when I started getting bad inflammation that wasn't going away. Doing more explosive movements with lighter weights and more reps

Phozy 04-25-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 7899074)
I tweaked my knee a couple weeks back doing power cleans/front squat and stupidly did one too fast.

I thought it healed and when i was testing my highs, around 250. I felt the pain again.
It's on the right, inner side of the knee. I'm probably going to get it checked out, but worth a shot if anyone else experienced similar symptoms?

I know how to squat properly, but guess the injury wasn't fully healed.

I'm pretty sure it is the inside muscle of the knee that's imbalanced.
I had that before, and when I went to physio they just got me to isolate the inner part of the knee, and squatting more light weight helped too.

Sit on the ground, one leg flat and one leg bent, point the toe of the flat leg outwards, lift the leg, hold for 2 second, repeat, and to both sides.

Hope I helped.

So choked this morning, can't overhead press for shit. Starting with empty bar again.

Matlock 04-25-2012 05:59 AM

Lifting heavy for reps is a form of cardio

Fcukedd 04-25-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truth (Post 7899135)
some reason had pain on the bottom of my tricep/elbow which was fucking up my entire chest workout. feelsbadman

Same fucking problem after coming back from a 5 day rest. It might be tendonitis, but I'm not sure

Berzerker 04-25-2012 08:56 AM

Sore elbows are common and I had to stop working out completely for mine to rest. Got to the point where I couldn't do a skull crusher with just the bar because it hurt so much. Look up Golfers Elbow or Tennis Elbow and see if that's what your feeling. Cortizone shot from the doctor helps.

Berz out.

LC21 04-25-2012 09:48 AM

Finally got 115 5x5 on overhead press and did another 3x5 with 120lb

Excelsis 04-25-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fcukedd (Post 7899515)
Same fucking problem after coming back from a 5 day rest. It might be tendonitis, but I'm not sure

try this if you've got a rubber band

http://www.hulsestrength.com/wp-cont...d-exercise.png

Gerbs 04-25-2012 11:34 AM

Ahhh the front of my hips are so sore. its a bitch to just walk, anyone know why? should i still squa:-\t today or rest

LC21 04-25-2012 12:52 PM

^ squat!!!

I have a masssive headache and imma squat till i see stars.

BrRsn 04-25-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbs (Post 7899668)
Ahhh the front of my hips are so sore. its a bitch to just walk, anyone know why? should i still squa:-\t today or rest

Those are your hip flexors, this happened to me too. Squatting heavy gets really, really difficult.

Solution:

Stretch #1 *skip to 3:33*
Stretch #2
No video, but put the bar on the rack, and hold onto it and sink into a deep squat position while holding the bar, this will really stretch your hip flexors.

I usually do light warmup for 8 reps, do stretch 1, then stretch 2, and then go onto my other workouts. After I'm done squatting I stretch them again.

Avoid squatting for now as squatting will only make the soreness and pain persist, give it time to heal, then do the above suggestions to ensure it never comes back. I had this prob and it lasted ~1.5 weeks before I could squat again

Also,

http://i.imgur.com/XdTAD.jpg

DAFUQ

Spoiler!