REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   London 2012 Summer Olympics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671047-london-2012-summer-olympics.html)

OGCStrike 08-05-2012 05:30 AM

LIN DAN WINS THE GOLDDD :nyan:

SkinnyPupp 08-05-2012 05:36 AM

Yeah China has like 20 golds already, why is this one such a big deal?

OGCStrike 08-05-2012 05:42 AM

cuz he managed to keep his title as the gold medalist in men's singles and nobody else has? :ahwow:

Vale46Rossi 08-05-2012 05:50 AM

He was also down a set and came back and won it.

The game was so damn exciting to watch.

SkinnyPupp 08-05-2012 05:55 AM

Cool! :thumbs:

MindBomber 08-05-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7994646)
the horse is doing all the work imo with equestrian events and I agree its only in the olympics because its an event which is cultivated and loved by the upper upper wealth structures since before the olympics existed ;)

The horse absolutely does not do all the work, that statement clearly demonstrates a total lack of knowledge of sport on your part. No offense :)
The equestrian events in the Olympics all have international followings among every social class, so again, I don't follow how the "keeping rich people happy" argument.

SkinnyPupp 08-05-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7994666)
The horse absolutely does not do all the work, that statement clearly demonstrates a total lack of knowledge of sport on your part. No offense :)
The equestrian events in the Olympics all have international followings among every social class, so again, I don't follow how the "keeping rich people happy" argument.

If that's the case, the horses would be randomly selected before each round. They would all be raised by the same stable, etc.

quasi 08-05-2012 07:49 AM

Anyone else slightly disturbed that during the javelin toss they have people running towards the hurling spear to mark it? Call me crazy but my natural instinct isn't to run towards the tool originally designed to hunt with.

LiquidTurbo 08-05-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 7994692)
Anyone else slightly disturbed that during the javelin toss they have people running towards the hurling spear to mark it? Call me crazy but my natural instinct isn't to run towards the tool originally designed to hunt with.

:troll:

LiquidTurbo 08-05-2012 09:20 AM

Lin Dan vs Chong Wei...

was rooting for Chong Wei the whole time.. feel bad for him :okay:

LiquidTurbo 08-05-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7994661)
Yeah China has like 20 golds already, why is this one such a big deal?

These guys are like Batman (Chong Wei) vs Joker (Lin Dan).. unstoppable force vs immovable object.

Long history of rivalry, very different play style, best players of the era.

Big deal for any badminton fan, and likely, a rivalry we won't see again in a long long time.

Both are probably going to retire soon, as both are in the twilight of their career.

LiquidTurbo 08-05-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7994666)

So how much percentage would you put on the horse and the rider?

I'm sorry, but every single other olympic event is 100% human effort without help or external factors. This alone is enough for me to want to kick it off the olympic games.

seakrait 08-05-2012 09:28 AM

whether or not equestrian events should be part of the olympics may be up for debate but the fact is that these riders are there in London representing Canada in their events so we should ALL be supportive of their efforts. Which makes the following kinda suck:

Quote:

Equestrian team devastated after Tiffany Foster's horse disqualified at Olympics - Ian Millar: “It can undo a team"

Spoiler!

if these tests are really done for the horses' benefit (ie: to ensure their safety), why are these tests random then? shouldn't ALL the horses get tested to ensure they're all 100% healthy and ready for competition? :fulloffuck:

AW607 08-05-2012 10:13 AM

Just watched the women's 400m hurdles. There was a Bulgarian athlete named Vania Stambolova and she wiped out over a hurdle, resulting in a DNF. Anyway the best part of this was the commentary:

"[...] but Stambolova --"
"and she did stumble over"

:joy:

way2quik 08-05-2012 10:58 AM

Usain Bolt 100M semi's just now..... the others did not have a chance.
Can't wait to see him in the finals.

fliptuner 08-05-2012 11:05 AM

9.8x and he cruised in the last 1/3...crazy

GLOW 08-05-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7994734)
100% human effort without help or external factors.

*cough* *roids*
:troll:
i keed i keed

lilaznviper 08-05-2012 12:53 PM

bolt got a OR :D

CorneringArtist 08-05-2012 12:53 PM

Bolt :ahwow:

fliptuner 08-05-2012 12:58 PM

Noir 08-05-2012 01:03 PM

Bolt! fuk yea

MindBomber 08-05-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7994670)
If that's the case, the horses would be randomly selected before each round. They would all be raised by the same stable, etc.

It takes a significant amount of time for a relationship to be built between horse and rider. If the relationship does not exist, the horse will no listen to the rider.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7994734)
So how much percentage would you put on the horse and the rider?

I'm sorry, but every single other olympic event is 100% human effort without help or external factors. This alone is enough for me to want to kick it off the olympic games.

Without a human, the horse will not do any of the things we ask of them in competition. It all comes down to the individual humans balance, muscle control, timing, ability to command respect. It's fair to say, it's 100% human effort being judged.

It's easy to criticize a sport you do not understand, which is whats happening here. There's a lot more to equestrian than what meets the eye.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seakrait (Post 7994735)
whether or not equestrian events should be part of the olympics may be up for debate but the fact is that these riders are there in London representing Canada in their events so we should ALL be supportive of their efforts. Which makes the following kinda suck:

if these tests are really done for the horses' benefit (ie: to ensure their safety), why are these tests random then? shouldn't ALL the horses get tested to ensure they're all 100% healthy and ready for competition? :fulloffuck:

Every horse goes through a health assessment upon arriving in London, and I believe another before and after every round. I'm not sure if there are also random checks or if this was discovered during a scheduled one, it's definitely a bad ruling though.

$$$$$

Noir 08-05-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7994877)
Without a human, the horse will not do any of the things we ask of them in competition. It all comes down to the individual humans balance, muscle control, timing, ability to command respect. It's fair to say, it's 100% human effort.

If I want to watch a human battle a beast as a display of his/her command over it, I think I'd rather watch bull riding.

If Olympics really is a show of "athleticism," all the criterias you say in human balance, muscle control, timing, ability to command respect seems like a far more exponentially challenging and valorous display of human achievement in bull riding rather than... you know, making a horse prance about.

Ludepower 08-05-2012 01:44 PM

Bolt is unreal.

fliptuner 08-05-2012 01:45 PM

Notice that Bolt didn't look 100% focused and still ran that well? I'd imagine with more focus and pushing all the way, under optimum conditions, 9.50 is attainable.