REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   London 2012 Summer Olympics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671047-london-2012-summer-olympics.html)

7seven 08-01-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7991491)
Next question: what are Canadian sizes like these days? Are they like USA sizes, where a L is more like an XXL? I fit a European L or Japanese XL, but last time I bought a USA L, it was like buying a shirt for a fat american

These Bay tshirts should be like the NHL/NFL/hanes/fruit of loom casual tshirt sizing. It's not quite supersized American sizing, I wear a L, if you recall my body type from my deadlift video in the workout thread 5'10 195lbs, so I think you should fit the L size too.

rice cooker 08-01-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Teams blamed the introduction of a round-robin stage rather than a straight knockout tournament as the main cause of the problem. In the round-robin format, losing one game can lead to an easier matchup in the next round.
Quote:

Australia coach Lasse Bundgaard, who also lodged a protest, blamed the group format for the controversy.

"It's not good when you create a tournament where the players are put in this situation," he said. "If you can win a medal by losing, but not by winning, that's not a good situation to be put in.
i understand their intentions but fuck at least make it look like u are trying haha

rice cooker 08-01-2012 08:53 AM

why no chinese in the mens gymnastics individual all around?

InvisibleSoul 08-01-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7seven (Post 7990388)
IMO medal standings should go by gold medals won, not total medals. Silver and bronze, you lost, you don't win silver/bronze, you lose gold IMO. It'd be like Superbowl, Stanley Cup losers celebrating not winning or the guy finishing 2nd in the Masters celebrating.

But maybe I'm just too competitive.

Actually, that IS how medal standings are officially ranked. They may show otherwise on TV, but it is the number of gold that determines the ranking of a country on the medal table.

2008 Summer Olympics medal table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even though USA had more medals overall, China is ranked first because they had more golds.

InvisibleSoul 08-01-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiSix (Post 7991494)
I believe there is a rule or some variation of it.

It may be ambiguous. The only thing I've seen is that competitors need to give their best effort to win.

Does that mean win at every point? Every set? Every match? Or the competition?

It could be argued that they were giving their best effort to win the competition by losing the match to get a more favoured draw.

AzNightmare 08-01-2012 10:11 AM

It can maybe be debatable as "strategy", but most would see it as poor sportsmanship and spirit.
Its not fair for the audience to watch, and a winning attitude is to try and beat all opponents to declare being the best.
Not throwing games and being scared to play which ever team/nation.

Neva 08-01-2012 10:26 AM

holy eff! anyone watch the korean lifter dislocated his elbow just now? On the snatch the bar just tipped back and his arms rotated behind him the wrong way :heckno:

InvisibleSoul 08-01-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7991506)
It may be ambiguous. The only thing I've seen is that competitors need to give their best effort to win.

Does that mean win at every point? Every set? Every match? Or the competition?

It could be argued that they were giving their best effort to win the competition by losing the match to get a more favoured draw.

Replying to myself. Actually, apparently the rule states "Not using one’s best efforts to win a match".

So they did violate the rules, therefore it was on legitimate grounds that they were disqualified.

However, I think the blame ultimately goes back to the organizers who came up with this format that allows the possibility of gaining by losing. They need to revise the format to ensure there is never such a situation.

I mean, what if it didn't play out this way? As in the players weren't so ridiculously obvious in trying to lose? What if one player complains they ate something bad and has stomach pains and is unable to compete. Are they able to withdraw from that match and take the loss?

mike313 08-01-2012 10:36 AM

damn that Chinese guy in weightlifitng what a beast snatch

InvisibleSoul 08-01-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7991531)
It can maybe be debatable as "strategy", but most would see it as poor sportsmanship and spirit.
Its not fair for the audience to watch, and a winning attitude is to try and beat all opponents to declare being the best.
Not throwing games and being scared to play which ever team/nation.

The first team that did this was China's #1 team. If they had won, they would end up facing off against China's #2 team in the first knockout round. They weren't "scared" of their opponent, but they (or their coach or team China as a whole) wanted to avoid this matchup because it would mean both China teams could end up making it to the finals, so that they could win two medals. If they played legitimately and won, that means one China pair would knock the other pair out before the medal rounds.

AzNightmare 08-01-2012 11:26 AM

Oh, I see. I wasn't fully aware of China's situation.
Why was the other team trying to lose too?

None the less, throwing games is just poor sportsmanship
And should rightfully be punished.

Blame does go to the poor formatting too though.

sonick 08-01-2012 11:50 AM

:ahwow:

McKayla Maroney's Vault Was So Good It Literally Dropped A Judge's Jaw

dL 08-01-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7991439)
They deserve it

How so?

It is a form of tactic. Yes, it sucks to watch people not try but it is a tactic to get different seeding. You always want to try and make sure you do not want to get two of your nation's team in one bracket as that means you may have a chance to eliminate each other in the semifinals, which eliminates the chance of capturing both gold and silver.

Let's (try to) compare this with another sport. Basketball. Why don't we make some rules so NBA players don't deliberately foul in the dying seconds trying to hope the opposing team misses the foul shots so they get possession back? Then why don't we punish the players who are trying to play keep-aways in the dying seconds for as long as possible instead of pursuing to score? Because it is a form of strategy. It is strategically playing within the rules of the game, format, and system.

Of course, it can also be viewed as unethical. There's two sides of taking this. Audience obvious on the ethical side, but as a former badminton player, I am on the players' side this time because I have experienced this first hand where another school team was performing it to get a better seeding, and eventually both their school teams got to the finals. Sucks but smart.

What I would do instead is serve a slightly higher serve and then the opponent will smash it easily and then you can miss returning the smash on purpose as it is much harder to judge haha.

And that's all I have to say for this. There's no point arguing because there is two sides and both sides have its points. This is just my take.

dL

rice cooker 08-01-2012 11:59 AM

interesting read about ye shiwen

Quote:

"If you look at the woman in question, and her biomechanics in the heats, she has a steady, moderately slow, six-beat kick," Leonard said, referring to the number of kicks Ye takes with each arm stroke. "All of a sudden in the Olympic final she turned it up to an eight-beat kick, which any coach will tell you is very difficult to maintain for 25m, much less 100m."

Ross Tucker, a sport scientist who based a large part of his PhD on pacing strategies in sport – or how athletes reserve enough energy to finish an event strongly – has also voiced his discomfort, while stressing that nothing had been proven against Ye. "Don't shy away from the question just because it's politically incorrect," Tucker writes his blog the Science of Sport. "Look where that got sport before."

Tucker points out that, on average, female medley swimmers finish the 400m IM in a freestyle time that is between "18% and 23% slower" than that of a top 100m freestyler. But Ye's leg was about 10% off the times set by the best 100m freestyle swimmers. "The conclusion that I would draw from this," Tucker writes, "is that her 100m freestyle leg is disproportionately fast not only by comparison to Lochte, but also to her peers, and to the best 100m freestyle swimmers." That, Tucker says, is too big a gap. "Based on everything we know about performance and pacing. I suspect that Shiwen would probably be two or more seconds faster if she went out harder and pushed to the point of fatigue."

It would make more sense, Tucker suggests, for Ye to swim faster over the first three legs and trade that improvement off for a slight loss of time in the final 100m. As Leonard said, "to swim three other splits at the rate that she did, which was quite ordinary for elite competition, and then unleash a historic anomaly, it is just not right".

"Her first 300m was an extremely conservative effort," concluded Tucker. "The simple question is: 'Under what circumstances does a female have the capacity to finish a race as fast as a male?'" It is the same question that is being asked by Leonard, only in a different way. "If it is a truly clean swim it is probably one of the most magnificent swims in history," Leonard said. "But at this point, I would call it unbelievable." This time, there was no doubt how he meant it.
Ye Shiwen's world record Olympic swim: brilliant, or too good to be true? | Sport | The Guardian

IfUCare 08-01-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Well, it seems that answer depends almost entirely on race. If you’re white, if you have an English trainer, then everyone’s going to be delighted for you. If you’re Chinese, you’re going to face a barrage of cowardly smears and insinuations that will ruin the greatest day of your life. Hurrah for the Olympics!

Finally, regarding Ye Shiwen’s final 50m, which has generated huge amounts of disbelieving comments in the media and on Twitter; yes, she was seventeen hundreths of a second faster than Lochte over the last 50m. It’s worth bearing in mind that her time over the full 400m was 23.25 seconds slower, or, to put it another way, two thousand, three hundred and twenty five hundreths of a second. And this brings me around to Rebecca Adlington… because Rebecca swam a final 50m of a medley similar race in 28.91 seconds last year. That’s two hundreths faster than Ye’s supposedly controversial final length in London! And she’s faster than Lochte, who is a man!

So, is Rebecca Adlington a drug cheat? Well, that depends on whether you’re using the logic of John Leonard or not. Leonard had this to say about Ye’s swim…

equally interesting read

Is Rebecca Adlington a drug cheat? | Blogging is pointless:

InvisibleSoul 08-01-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7991599)
Oh, I see. I wasn't fully aware of China's situation.
Why was the other team trying to lose too?

None the less, throwing games is just poor sportsmanship
And should rightfully be punished.

Blame does go to the poor formatting too though.

It really was all a chain reaction. China #1 is basically unbeatable. They had a streak of being unbeaten in 52 weeks.

Earlier, China #2 got upset, which changed the whole outlook for the knockout rounds.

China #2 is also the second best pair in the world after China #1.

China #1 wanted to lose, so that they wouldn't need to face China #2 in the first knockout round.

The Korea #1 team doesn't want to play China #2 either, so they didn't want to take the win even if China #1 was giving it to them. So that's why they tanked as well, leading to both teams tanking.

Eventually China tanked better and lost the match. This affected the draw for the results of the next match between Korea #2 and the Indonesia.

The winner would have to play China #1, which obviously nobody wants, so that's why both these teams tried losing too.

pure.life 08-01-2012 02:24 PM

It's time to start training for 2016

Athletes spill details on dirty secrets in the Olympic Village - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN

Spoiler!

DanHibiki 08-01-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7991685)
It really was all a chain reaction. China #1 is basically unbeatable. They had a streak of being unbeaten in 52 weeks.

Earlier, China #2 got upset, which changed the whole outlook for the knockout rounds.

China #1 wanted to lose, so that they wouldn't need to face China #2 in the first knockout round.

The Korea #1 team doesn't want to play China #2 either, so they didn't want to take the win even if China #1 was giving it to them. So that's why they tanked as well, leading to both teams tanking.

Eventually China tanked better and lost the match. This affected the draw for the results of the next match between Korea #2 and the Indonesia.

The winner would have to play China #1, which obviously nobody wants, so that's why both these teams tried losing too.

lol i laughed reading that. oh my. DISQUALIFY ALL THE TEAMS

Vansterdam 08-01-2012 03:01 PM

lol@ 4 teams being disqualified

Valour 08-01-2012 03:44 PM

Match That Got Badminton Teams Disqualified In Olympics [Video] - Business Insider

Link to the actual gameplay. Pretty disgraceful. Imagine if you paid good money for those tickets.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/racquet-sp...tml?cid=rsstsn

spideyv2 08-01-2012 03:52 PM

When does the 100 meter sprints, relay, etc start

Not really racist! 08-01-2012 04:11 PM

Save the clicking.. heres the video

:facepalm:

Mr.HappySilp 08-01-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanHibiki (Post 7991713)
lol i laughed reading that. oh my. DISQUALIFY ALL THE TEAMS

Now all the other teams who are in it will be laughing thier ass off coz the most deadly 2 pairs are out of the finals lol.

Honestly, this is not about trying yoru best anyways, is about winning for your country.

Excelsis 08-01-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Olympians are adventurers. They look for a challenge, like having sex with someone who doesn't speak their language."
:lawl:

AzNightmare 08-01-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7991685)

Thanks for clearing that up.
I was literally LOL'ing reading this. :fulloffuck: