REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   London 2012 Summer Olympics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671047-london-2012-summer-olympics.html)

SkinnyPupp 08-02-2012 06:40 AM

Even if it was rigged, I don't see what being hosted in London has to do with it. The IOC is who you should be questioning

SkinnyPupp 08-02-2012 07:28 AM

:heckno:

Chinese Diver Wins Gold, Is Finally Told That Her Mother Has Cancer And Her Grandparents Died A Year Ago

Gridlock 08-02-2012 07:44 AM

The host cities need to realize that success in hosting isn't about what you can build, and what type of mass transport system you put in place...its the people in the city getting behind it and enjoying it.

I had a fear that "no-fun" Vancouver was going to rear its head and make for a dud games, but it didn't. The entire city got into the social aspect of the games and that is what made Vancouver remembered for.

People aren't going to say "Vancouver: thank god for that Canada Line", no its "the whole city came out to celebrate."

London telling its citizens to stay home and putting the olympic cauldron in an arena that you need to pay to see is a bad idea.

I do find it all funny given what they had to say about others. Even when Mitt Romney simply said a few weeks before it started that they weren't ready, and London gets all pissed off. Yeah, its not for him to say as a presidential candidate but as someone that took over a f'd up olympics and pulled it together, I think he is more than entitled. (He took over Salt Lake after the bidding controversy.)

In all, I wouldn't worry too much about it, I read through the history of the modern olympics and given what other cities had to contend with, this stuff is all minor.

sonick 08-02-2012 07:53 AM

Gridlock 08-02-2012 08:51 AM

Here's the difference between Canada and a lot of other major countries. They get a feeling that they did bad if they only win 50 medals at the Olympics-disappointed even. In Canada? We celebrate every single medal. One guy could win a bronze in London and we could have a medal count of one, and we'd celebrate him as a national hero.

I'm actually proud of that.

fliptuner 08-02-2012 11:30 AM

Disgraced Chinese athlete Yu Yang quits sport:

Yu went on state television in China to apologize “to all the badminton fans and friends over yesterday’s game, because we did not comply with the Olympic spirit, and did not deliver a match with our true level to the audience, the fans and the friends.”

AzNightmare 08-02-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7992375)
Here's the difference between Canada and a lot of other major countries. They get a feeling that they did bad if they only win 50 medals at the Olympics-disappointed even. In Canada? We celebrate every single medal. One guy could win a bronze in London and we could have a medal count of one, and we'd celebrate him as a national hero.

On the flip side, we are happy with whatever we can get... In general, I don't think our expectations are as demanding.
But try to tell Canadians to celebrate a bronze medal in Olympic hockey...

That's a whole different story...

StylinRed 08-02-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7992325)
Even if it was rigged, I don't see what being hosted in London has to do with it. The IOC is who you should be questioning

well the last time London hosted the Olympics it was filled with instances of rigged/biased judging blah blah blah controversies supposedly the IOC had to step in and make some changes afterwards (this was 100yrs ago though)

Great68 08-02-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7992375)

I find this more true of the summer olympics. The winter olympics are a bit different, our expectations are a LOT higher.

Like AzNightmare touched on, I seriously doubt there would have been nearly as much partying in the streets across canada that Sunday night after the game if Canada lost.

invader 08-02-2012 01:16 PM

Is the US men's Basketball game on tv?

bing 08-02-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 7992470)
Disgraced Chinese athlete Yu Yang quits sport:

Yu went on state television in China to apologize “to all the badminton fans and friends over yesterday’s game, because we did not comply with the Olympic spirit, and did not deliver a match with our true level to the audience, the fans and the friends.”

IOC are a bunch of idiots for setting up the badminton part of the tournament with a round robin. How hard would it be to set it up so winners advance? I don't blame them for wanting to throw a game away so they don't have to play their Chinese compatriots till they absolutely have to. That's strategy. Fuck Olympic spirit. This is about winning.

I would not have been upset at the athletes if I had bought a ticket to that game, I would blame the IOC.

freakshow 08-02-2012 01:39 PM

Hmm, I wonder what people generally train for:
A) Bring home as many medals for your country as possible
B) Impress the fans

Since it's all about B, I guess we should start canning Olympic sports with low viewership, since they're failing to impress the fans.

Also, they better not change the round-robin format at the next olympics, or else they basically admitted how stupid they are.

Tim Budong 08-02-2012 02:06 PM

Team USA is ripping Nigeria apart. Carmelo is making it rain

Fappin 08-02-2012 02:21 PM

North Korea's Key to Olympic Medals: Rewards for Winners, Punishment for Losers - ABC News

North Koreans receive a house, car, and a fridge, along with social status while Canadians just get $20,000. Then again its gold or labor camp lol

Obsideon 08-02-2012 02:22 PM

^ Expected.
I'm hoping Argentina to give the US a run for their money, and Spain's big to dominate them on the inside!

Coren 08-02-2012 02:31 PM

CBC wins rights to 2014, 2016 olympic games

CBC wins rights to 2014, 2016 Olympic Games - Canada - CBC News

I like how currently ctv has more stations showing more events

chouchou 08-02-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7991958)
story?

The Most Homoerotic Olympic Fencing Dispute Ever

dachinesedude 08-02-2012 02:34 PM

where are you guys watching the basketball game? is it on tv?

online would be nice

chouchou 08-02-2012 02:37 PM

^
Men's Basketball | - 2012 Olympics

Tim Budong 08-02-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coren (Post 7992611)

they will most likely partner up with snet

fliptuner 08-02-2012 02:41 PM

iirc Italian gold medal winners get $182,000usd

Tapioca 08-02-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coren (Post 7992611)

I think this is great news. CTV has done a subpar job with the Olympics over the past 2 events. The only thing the network has is Brian Williams who had to come over after CBC lost the rights.

The Olympics belong on the national broadcaster.

Chronix 08-02-2012 02:50 PM

god damn they are just raining 3s down on nigeria lol

dachinesedude 08-02-2012 02:56 PM

82 point lead LOL da fuq

Tim Budong 08-02-2012 03:00 PM

Carmelo killed it