REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   London 2012 Summer Olympics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671047-london-2012-summer-olympics.html)

iwantaskyline 08-04-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seakrait (Post 7994288)
anyone watch the GBR/S.KOR men's soccer game? :o

Yup...Great Britain sucks lol. Got two penalties in regulation but only converted one. Too bad! If the Koreans get a medal they are exempt from military service.

seakrait 08-04-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantaskyline (Post 7994314)
Yup...Great Britain sucks lol. Got two penalties in regulation but only converted one. Too bad! If the Koreans get a medal they are exempt from military service.

ha, really? that's pretty sweet.

also, i'm not sure what that last GBR player was thinking with his stutter step during his shot. great save the the S.Korean backup goalkeeper. :ahwow:

?uestlove 08-04-2012 09:14 PM

holy sweet jesus i was watching the track and field thing, some of the lady atheletes were hhhhhoot!!

MindBomber 08-04-2012 09:21 PM

I'm curious as to why Skinnypup and Ricecooker failed me for this post?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Quote:

Originally Posted by rice cooker (Post 7993135)
they might as well have olympic horse racing than this equestrian shit, its alot less dangerous for the human and the horse. i cant beleive they booted olympic baseball/softball and kept this

Incorrect, racing is much more dangerous and harder on a horses' body than jumping or dressage. Horse racing would also not be suitable for entrance into the Olympics for a number of reasons. Softball and baseball were largely removed as a result of anti-doping issues among top athletes within baseball, so I'm unclear as to why you can't believe equestrian events have not been removed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7993148)
Rich cunts don't care about softball, they want to show off their million dollar horses

I'll reiterate the fact that the misconceptions you have of equestrian are dead wrong.

Noir 08-04-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7994412)
I'm curious as to why Skinnypup and Ricecooker failed me for this post?

I know that was just an inquiry; but you're looking like you don't like people disagreeing with you somewhat.

It doesn't matter if you're ultimately correct; whatever opinion they hold for "dressage" is completely within their right.

I mean, if it takes some heat off of them... I still can't believe "power walking" is considered a sport and the olympics have an event for that. I mean c'mon, what athletic bragging rights can you get out of that. I'm the best at walking?

bing 08-04-2012 10:08 PM

^I'll take the neutral position. I enjoy informed debates and it's favorable when people challenge others conceptions about things with an intelligent argument. Kinda hard to reply or see another person's point of view, if you just get failed lol (but then fails can be for any reason, from a particular phrase in an entire argument or the demeanor that's shining through).

And yeah, I have to agree at this point, I know nothing about power walking but from the picture it creates in my head, I wonder why its a "sport". Won't really know myself until I look into it, but I wouldn't necessarily knock something I have no understanding of.

MindBomber 08-04-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 7994426)
I know that was just an inquiry; but you're looking like you don't like people disagreeing with you somewhat.

Not at all; I'm totally fine with people disagreeing with me, and totally respect others difference of opinion. What Olympic events a person enjoys is very subjective. I'm an equestrian fan, but do not expect everyone to understand or enjoy it; there are people passionate about ping pong, which is a sport completely foreign to me.

I'm genuinely curious as to why Skinnypup and Rice Cooker failed me, because I provided nothing but factual information and not opinion.

Equestrian is not a bourgeois sport reserved for rich cunts. There are thousands of very dedicated riders within the lower mainland alone competing in dressage, jumping, and eventing, who have very average incomes.

Horse racing is much harder on horses bodies than dressage, jumping, or eventing; Grand Prix horses compete till age 18 on average, racehorses only make it till age 6 or 7 typically. Horse racing varies vastly internationally, there's no one standard that would make it conducive to becoming an Olympic sport.

I've read a mix of reasons for Olympic baseball and softball being suspended; the reasons being anti-doping issues among top athletes, and the two sports popularity being focused almost entirely within the US and Japan. Equestrian events suffer from neither of these ailments.

SkinnyPupp 08-04-2012 10:31 PM

You just happen to enjoy a bourgeois sport for rich cunts. Don't worry about it

dangonay 08-04-2012 10:43 PM

I don't think equestrian should be an Olympic event. But not because of who competes or what people stereotype as the typical competitor.

I think if a competitor can be 50, 60 or older and be competitive, then something's wrong with the event. The Olympics should be about "faster, higher, stronger." Meaning you have to be in peak physical condition to compete. Sports like track & field or gymnastics don't have seniors competing because they are nowhere near to having the required abilities.

This is also why I think curling shouldn't be an Olympic sport. When a 50 year old with a beer belly can compete, something's wrong.

bing 08-04-2012 10:47 PM

bing 08-04-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7994452)
You just happen to enjoy a bourgeois sport for rich cunts. Don't worry about it

^lol
there's some insight in your response as that is very revealing of the perception of the sport currently by what I would safely assume by people who have no interest in equestrian. Nothing a nice marketing campaign couldn't clear up :lawl:

SkinnyPupp 08-04-2012 10:55 PM

That's not why it "shouldn't be an olympic sport" and I don't have anything against it. But it explains why it IS an olympic sport still. Hell, one of the medalists this year was the queen's granddaughter, and the horses are all owned by the richest of the rich. This is their once-in-4-years time to really wag their dicks in front of each other. It's not really like the athletes who have a once-in-4-years chance to prove they are the best in the world at what they do. Also I am being extremely facetious

hotshot1 08-04-2012 11:22 PM

It just annoys me when someone gets failed for an opinion - and even more so when the person who gave the fail doesn't state their own opinion.

SkinnyPupp 08-04-2012 11:24 PM

:troll:

Noir 08-04-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotshot1 (Post 7994490)
It just annoys me when someone gets failed for an opinion - and even more so when the person who gave the fail doesn't state their own opinion.

It's a just a mark; A four letter word internet mark made against your anonymous internet persona; a mark that's dealt 100x randomly in this forum for reasons ranging from lightly disagree to strongly disagree.

I think everyone should just be a man and not be so e-sensitive. Surely everyone's been dealt with far more serious insults in their "actual" real lives than that.

And BTW, Skinnypup and the people that agree with him already said why they disagreed with "dressage." Although people have made efforts to convince him otherwise, he remains unconvinced and still disagrees on the exact same principle he orginally held.

Better to end it with just a "fail" mark and everyone goes their merry way, rather than a long winded argument that's just goes around in circles; which is far more childish show than the former.

MindBomber 08-04-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangonay (Post 7994459)
I don't think equestrian should be an Olympic event. But not because of who competes or what people stereotype as the typical competitor.

I think if a competitor can be 50, 60 or older and be competitive, then something's wrong with the event. The Olympics should be about "faster, higher, stronger." Meaning you have to be in peak physical condition to compete. Sports like track & field or gymnastics don't have seniors competing because they are nowhere near to having the required abilities.

This is also why I think curling shouldn't be an Olympic sport. When a 50 year old with a beer belly can compete, something's wrong.

That's an interesting take.

With many Olympic sports the factors that contribute towards success go beyond primarily the athletes physical condition, like in running, weight lifting, swimming etc. events. Athletes competing in equestrian, archery, fencing, etc. events, are required to have extremely refined muscle control and demonstrate skill in that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7994469)
That's not why it "shouldn't be an olympic sport" and I don't have anything against it. But it explains why it IS an olympic sport still. Hell, one of the medalists this year was the queen's granddaughter, and the horses are all owned by the richest of the rich. This is their once-in-4-years time to really wag their dicks in front of each other. It's not really like the athletes who have a once-in-4-years chance to prove they are the best in the world at what they do.

At the highest levels of equestrian horses becomes extremely valuable and many, but not all, are owned by third parties who sponsor the riders. Success is not a matter of who has the most expensive horse, however. It's the rider who makes the horse, they just need a mount athletic enough to compliment the demands they put on it. It's the riders once-in-4-year opportunity to prove they are the best in the world at what they do.

Top athletes in most sports are sponsored by third parties to facilitate their success, I don't see how having a horse provided for you is any different. Michael Phelps face on boxes sold cereal for Kellogg's, he in turn was compensated financially and was able to train harder. Same idea with equestrian riders and horses, the rider adds to the value of the horse and in turn gets a better mount.

I'm not rambling on because I feel like arguing, or anything like that. There are just a lot misconceptions about equestrian within the general public, and as someone who loves it, I feel compelled to try and correct those.

OGCStrike 08-05-2012 01:29 AM

Chen Long(badminton) wins the bronze for china !! :nyan:

FerrariEnzo 08-05-2012 03:45 AM

OUCH... stupid officials..

This video shows what went on.. stupid officials are retarded... that was a LONG ass last 1sec...

What you guys think?

SkinnyPupp 08-05-2012 03:56 AM

See, that explanation is consistent with all the ones I disagree with. The clock was set to 1 second. That is 100 milliseconds. The German did her move within those 100 milliseconds, even though it didn't show up on the clock, since it only shows 1 second at a time.

I still don't see the controversy. At least going by every single explanation given, except one.

FerrariEnzo 08-05-2012 04:03 AM

but was it reset to the full 1 sec and for what reason? because the officials dont know how to use the timer??

maybe resetting wouldnt have matter, she would prolly loose but who knows for sure??

StylinRed 08-05-2012 04:14 AM

the horse is doing all the work imo with equestrian events and I agree its only in the olympics because its an event which is cultivated and loved by the upper upper wealth structures since before the olympics existed ;)

but there are tonnes of events that really shouldn't be in the olympics imo as mentioned, power walking, an event for like each stroke in swimming, although i love it, beach volleyball, water polo, etc etc

SkinnyPupp 08-05-2012 04:27 AM

Oh yeah I keep forgetting that it was less than a second already when they reset it... yeah that is pretty dumb

SkinnyPupp 08-05-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7994646)

but there are tonnes of events that really shouldn't be in the olympics imo as mentioned, power walking, an event for like each stroke in swimming, although i love it, beach volleyball, water polo, etc etc

Why shouldn't those sports be in the olympics?

Vale46Rossi 08-05-2012 05:28 AM

LIN DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2012/oly...er/lin-dan.jpg

JulyZerg 08-05-2012 05:29 AM

LIN DAN! GOLD!