REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   London 2012 Summer Olympics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671047-london-2012-summer-olympics.html)

StylinRed 08-01-2012 05:12 PM

Apparently restaurants shopping malls, the whole business district in London is a virtual graveyard

London Olympics 2012: Businesses pay the price as 1.5m workers stay at home to stop London seizing up | Mail Online

:suspicious:

fliptuner 08-01-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 7991811)
Honestly, this is not about trying yoru best anyways, is about winning for your country.

Of course it's about doing your best. It's also about sportsmanship and character.

If you want to be hailed as the best, you should be willing to go up against and beat the best.

Where's the glory in weaseling your way to a gold medal?

As stated in the Badminton Federation's Rulebook and recognized by IOC:

Quote:

You must use your best effort to win a match

You must conduct yourself in a manner that is not detrimental or abusive to the sport

StylinRed 08-01-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 7991619)

:fulloffuck: holy shit dat landing

Ulic Qel-Droma 08-01-2012 06:42 PM

ummmm...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...3nnqo1_500.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...3nnqo2_500.gif

StylinRed 08-01-2012 07:57 PM

story?

incubus 08-01-2012 09:21 PM

hope i dont miss these

anyone know a good stream for these

Spoiler!

sonick 08-01-2012 10:22 PM

London Olympics 2012: Badminton match-fixing gives Canadians second life | London 2012 | Sports | National Post

:fuckyea:

CharlesInCharge 08-01-2012 10:22 PM

Disqualified for being Iranian

AzNightmare 08-01-2012 10:55 PM

Are all Olympics this bad? Or is it just this one?
So much controversy and bad officiating going on.

Phozy 08-01-2012 11:02 PM

So much bullshit going on...these judges must be getting paid for this

Chronix 08-01-2012 11:06 PM

LOL, what did the Iranian guy do?

I like how London made fun of Vancouver, and now they are fucking up worst in all possible ways.

SkinnyPupp 08-01-2012 11:07 PM

It wouldn't be the Olympics without controversy!

Ronin 08-01-2012 11:20 PM

I don't know much about boxing...did the Iranian dude not deserve the warnings? I don't know what constitutes pushing or holding or whatever the hell the warning was.

Apparently in another match between Japan and Azerbaijan, they overturned a ruling where the Japanese boxer lost despite the Azerbaijani boxer falling down 6 times.

DanHibiki 08-01-2012 11:40 PM

As interesting as controversies are, I rather an athlete not get screwed over. Can't imagine going out of the Olympics like that.

DC5-S 08-02-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare604 (Post 7991773)
When does the 100 meter sprints, relay, etc start

Bump

StylinRed 08-02-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 7992189)
I don't know much about boxing...did the Iranian dude not deserve the warnings? I don't know what constitutes pushing or holding or whatever the hell the warning was.

Apparently in another match between Japan and Azerbaijan, they overturned a ruling where the Japanese boxer lost despite the Azerbaijani boxer falling down 6 times.

read about the iranian player when i wondered "say is iran in the olympics?"

and this boxing blog/site is up in arms about the officiating too but they don't really explain it :/

Olympics 2012 Boxing Results - Heavyweights: Iranian Fighter Disqualified in Second Afternoon Disgrace - Bad Left Hook

Quote:

Jose Larduet (Cuba) vs Ali Mazaheri (Iran) via DQ-2: And right back to the shoddy officiating. This was almost as ridiculous as the Azerbaijan-Japan disgrace in the bantamweight session. Larduet was docked in round one, then in round two, Mazaheri couldn't do anything without being warned, and on the third warning, he was disqualified. It was absolutely absurd, and these two shoddy, shady happenings this afternoon are exactly why Olympic boxing has a bad reputation. For four days, we got by without much happening. Now we've got a disaster this afternoon. I sort of warned about this the other day, but somehow it's still surprising that things like this just happen. To Mazaheri's credit -- and this will surely get him in trouble with AIBA -- he refused to stand by the referee for the official decision at first. After waiting a moment, he went over and shook the hands of the Cuban corner. Then he left to cheers, ignoring the referee and the official announcement. Good for him. Larduet, for his part, looked more confused than anything. He left the ring quietly and didn't appear any happier with what happened than anyone else.

CharlesInCharge 08-02-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 7992189)

I dont know much about the rules either but I read, as you can see in the first warning at 15 seconds, the Cuban boxer has his head low into the guys chest, if the Iranian doest put his hand over his head, thats like asking to be headbutt in the face.
The other calls look like bull shit too, even the two announcers call it out, one saying the games are going down in a spiral and the other calling it ridiculous.

AzNightmare 08-02-2012 12:46 AM

How do you guys pronounce "Badminton" ?

I've been watching several videos and noticed many people pronounce it as "bad-mitten"
with the "-ten" being almost silent, so it sounds like "badmin" (2 syllables)
:fulloffuck:

Am I the only one that has been pronouncing it as "bad-min-tin" all my life??

Vale46Rossi 08-02-2012 12:48 AM

Bad-Min-Tin is the correct way.

Well it's

Bad-Min-"ton"

inv4zn 08-02-2012 12:53 AM

Thoughts on this?

After all the doping cries and underage controversies for Chinese olympic athletes, there seems to be more interest gathering around the world.

Basically the parents are enrolling the kids into these training "camps", and they get trained there...

I guess it's the darker side of the Olympics.

AzNightmare 08-02-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenDuang (Post 7992257)
Bad-Min-Tin is the correct way.

Well it's

Bad-Min-"ton"

So I dug a bit deeper, seems like it's a UK vs USA variation...

Matsuda 08-02-2012 01:36 AM

Japan have won an appeal after Satoshi Shimizu's controversial bantamweight defeat by Magomed Abdulhamidov, of Azerbaijan.

BBC Sport - Olympics boxing: Japan win appeal after controversial loss

SkinnyPupp 08-02-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 7992258)
Thoughts on this?

After all the doping cries and underage controversies for Chinese olympic athletes, there seems to be more interest gathering around the world.

Basically the parents are enrolling the kids into these training "camps", and they get trained there...

I guess it's the darker side of the Olympics.

Chinese Olympics training or child cruelty? - YouTube

Check out the article I posted on the last page. It's almost like the USSR all over again. :fulloffuck:

neggo 08-02-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsuda (Post 7992275)
Japan have won an appeal after Satoshi Shimizu's controversial bantamweight defeat by Magomed Abdulhamidov, of Azerbaijan.

BBC Sport - Olympics boxing: Japan win appeal after controversial loss

That was a ridiculous match.

Azerbaijan dude was trying to turn it into a wrestling match going for double legs and single legs while he was on the way down to the canvas. I guess MMA is already in the Olympics, ahahaha.

Vansterdam 08-02-2012 06:12 AM

lol olympics is harsh rigged and fucked this year

GG London