REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #151
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Chinese Run Vancouver /endthread

True Story: Lady who just moved Here from china,thought it was gonna be hard to get around Vancouver after moving here not knowing English at all & getting Canadian citizenship .....Said it completely the same like back home with the large chinese population around but of course.....cleaner air and shit.
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #152
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
And a debate like this is why I will never live in Richmond. Politics is a dirty business, but you would like that Brodie and others would take a stand on something.

As a third-gen Chinese guy, I feel like a foreigner there sometimes. No homeless people, bad drivers, and poor service because I can't speak Canto/Mandarin.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #153
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Abiding by the Canadian traditions isn't hard.. like really you can't put English on your sign?

Well then.. fuck you.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #154
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
Chinese Run Vancouver /endthread

True Story: Lady who just moved Here from china,thought it was gonna be hard to get around Vancouver after moving here not knowing English at all & getting Canadian citizenship .....Said it completely the same like back home with the large chinese population around but of course.....cleaner air and shit.
not hard at all when you can get everything done without speaking a word of English
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #155
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Signs should be in english and whatever other language the owner wants. Nobody should feel unwelcome in a part of town or in a business because of their race....regardless of the race.

Also, what happens if I am driving by the business and see a crime\fire\etc....I call 911, "yeah...its at that store with the Chinese writing....in red".

Last edited by dinosaur; 03-21-2013 at 09:05 AM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #156
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Richmond sucks. After I moved away from it (Lived there for the first 25 years of my life), I quickly realised it has nothing going for it. It really just has become a flat, ugly, condo whore.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #157
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

One day when I was walking down 3 road I watched an ambulance drive up and down the street for almost 3 minutes before someone finally ran out of one of the restaurants waving their hands. i guess the driver couldn't read the signs either

for me if I'm really interested in what the sign says the Google translate on my phone does the job so i can read it though it still might not make sense.

after just driving down 3 rd it seems that most of the stores have English also.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by chris walter; 03-19-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: instead of making a new post
chris walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #158
I don't get it

Damn I wish I got into the convo when it started...

If you're a private business, you should be able to put up signage in whatever fucking language you want. This is a capitalist society, not a communist one. The government shouldn't get involved in petty things like these. It's not like they're changing street signs.

After putting up signage only in Chinese, if the business is able to generate enough business, they will continue to run. If someone chooses not to go into the store because the signage is in Chinese, then the store will lose business. Whatever they do, the market will determine the outcome. That's it. We don't need more government involvement in everything. This really is an example of xenophobia.

Oh and what do you guys mean by having a certain percentage of the signs in English? I read 70% and 50%... This is a serious question, I really don't understand. You add up the total number of Chinese letters in all the signage and have to have a certain percentage of that total in English? Or do you total the number of signs and have to translate a certain percentage of the words into English? And what's gonna happen if some people have a little less than the required percentages? Are they gonna open a new department to keep track of the signs in the city? And how are they gonna determine the fines? This just seems like a mess to me.

Last edited by hotshot1; 03-19-2013 at 11:11 AM.
hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #159
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot1 View Post
Damn I wish I got into the convo when it started...

If you're a private business, you should be able to put up signage in whatever fucking language you want. This is a capitalist society, not a communist one. The government shouldn't get involved in petty things like these. It's not like they're changing street signs.

After putting up signage only in Chinese, if the business is able to generate enough business, they will continue to run. If someone chooses not to go into the store because the signage is in Chinese, then the store will lose business. Whatever they do, the market will determine the outcome. That's it. We don't need more government involvement in everything. This really is an example of xenophobia.
the way i see it is that theres more asian people than any other race in that city, which is fine, i really dont care, anyone can live where ever they want, but its literally driving non asian people out...my cousin had to pull his son from school and have him put in vancouver because no kid in his grade 1 class could/wanted to speak to him. the kid would come home crying and all depressed...how is that fair? a non asian kid cant even enjoy his recess and lunch break because none of his classmates will speaks english while on their breaks.

not to sound racist or anything, but what happens in a few years if it continues to progress and expand, shops just across the bridge slowly become shops with full chinese characters, then a little more, and a little more...to a point where english is basically no longer spoken in vancouver. theres a reason why people become racist, and i really do think this is a starting stone for it.

when this thread popped up and i started reading, first thing that came to my mind was american history x

Quote:
Oh and what do you guys mean by having a certain percentage of the signs in English? I read 70% and 50%... This is a serious question, I really don't understand. You add up the total number of Chinese letters in all the signage and have to have a certain percentage of that total in English? Or do you total the number of signs and have to translate a certain percentage of the words into English? And what's gonna happen if some people have a little less than the required percentages? Are they gonna open a new department to keep track of the signs in the city? And how are they gonna determine the fines? This just seems like a mess to me.
if a sign is 20 feet wide, split it at 10 feet, left side can be the full english name, while the right can have all the characters.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #160
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
What I'm noticing in this thread is that too many people like yourself are trying to make this an economic system style debate (Capitalist vs communist). To be honest that's a bullshit debate anyways.

For me this is a CULTURAL debate.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for business name to be stated in english or french on a business sign. I don't care if it's in teeny tiny letters compared to the rest of the sign, just that it be on that sign.

Things like this just perpetuate the cultural divide and stereotypes in a "multicultural" society like Canada.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #161
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
the way i see it is that theres more asian people than any other race in that city, which is fine, i really dont care, anyone can live where ever they want, but its literally driving non asian people out...my cousin had to pull his son from school and have him put in vancouver because no kid in his grade 1 class could/wanted to speak to him. the kid would come home crying and all depressed...how is that fair? a non asian kid cant even enjoy his recess and lunch break because none of his classmates will speaks english while on their breaks.

not to sound racist or anything, but what happens in a few years if it continues to progress and expand, shops just across the bridge slowly become shops with full chinese characters, then a little more, and a little more...to a point where english is basically no longer spoken in vancouver. theres a reason why people become racist, and i really do think this is a starting stone for it.

when this thread popped up and i started reading, first thing that came to my mind was american history x

if a sign is 20 feet wide, split it at 10 feet, left side can be the full english name, while the right can have all the characters.
If the kid is sad because no one could/would speak to him, then his parents should move to a new city or move him to a new school. VPS already has schools teach English classes. You can't force people to speak a certain language. What is the alternate solution? Punish the children for speaking Chinese in schools? Allow for segregation by forcing Chinese students to attend one school and other races into a different school? There is no other solution. You just have to accept it and let it be.

Again, in a capitalist society, the market will take care of itself. This system is the most fair system there is. If you start adding some government mandates and regulation, then it becomes unfair.

In a few years, if businesses prosper despite offering absolutely no English language solutions, then so be it. Why should they be forced to pay money for advertising/marketing when English speakers aren't even their target market? it will never happen but even if the entire population of Vancouver is Chinese, that's just the way it is. That's the way the market went. Either learn the language or move.

And what if the sign is small and the name of the store is really long? Is the company gonna be forced to buy new signs? What if there is no space for a giant sign outside the store? Then is the owner gonna have to make the font really small? Then the customers won't be able to see it so well. How is that fair?

And I'm not Chinese btw.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #162
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
^ we got punished for speaking canto in class

name on the blackboard , no play time... that was some serious shit

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #163

Quote:
If the kid is sad because no one could/would speak to him, then his parents should move to a new city or move him to a new school. VPS already has schools teach English classes. You can't force people to speak a certain language. What is the alternate solution? Punish the children for speaking Chinese in schools? Allow for segregation by forcing Chinese students to attend one school and other races into a different school? There is no other solution. You just have to accept it and let it be.
Your first post was dumb.. but this just floored me.
You can't make kids talk to other kids, fair enough. The thing that pisses me off is exactly like Great68 said, a "cultural divide."

Pushing other races out of certain places is not right. I've been to fucking restaurants that clearly mark "NO ENGLISH." It brings me to open a restaurant and put a sign saying "NO ASIANS" because its the same goddamn point.

P.S. Best part: I doubt the asians could read "NO ASIANS" anyway, because they don't have the fucking courtesy to learn ENGLISH.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #164

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
That role reversal... lol

Why don't we have signs in the native people's language too? We're on their land.
Posted via RS Mobile
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #165
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:

Again, in a capitalist society, the market will take care of itself. This system is the most fair system there is. If you start adding some government mandates and regulation, then it becomes unfair.

In a few years, if businesses prosper despite offering absolutely no English language solutions, then so be it. Why should they be forced to pay money for advertising/marketing when English speakers aren't even their target market? it will never happen but even if the entire population of Vancouver is Chinese, that's just the way it is. That's the way the market went. Either learn the language or move.

And what if the sign is small and the name of the store is really long? Is the company gonna be forced to buy new signs? What if there is no space for a giant sign outside the store? Then is the owner gonna have to make the font really small? Then the customers won't be able to see it so well. How is that fair?

And I'm not Chinese btw.
re read, they did put him in a different school and hes quite happy now that he can actually play with kids.

but even you admit that even in a few years if buisnesses prosper, without the need for english, then so be it...well nipping it in the butt is easier than trying to fix it before its to late.

if there is no giant sign, most stores use decals on the windows to advertise.

Quote:
how is it fair for the people who have lived in richmond for 20+ years and are being forced to move away because they can no longer live, shop, or raise their children?? someone earlier said asians prefer richmond due to it being very easy to adapt because english isn't needed to live there. well when you've gotten to the point where theres maybe 95% kids in a classroom who will only speak english when they have to (in class) those other 5% of kids better become best friends or else they're fucked...which to me seems fucked on its own, id prefer to pick my friends, not be forced to be friends with someone because its convenient.

there needs to be a certain set of base rules...guidelines that give EVERYONE an equal chance to live.

and yeah, other than classes that learn a second language (spanish, japanese, german etc) i honestly do think public schools should be enforced to speak english or french only. if theres that much of a demand to speak a different language, open up a private school and speak whatever you want there. public school is for everyone, not just the majority of the race at the school.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #166
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #167
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
wtf

By the way, what's VPS?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #168
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
What I'm noticing in this thread is that too many people like yourself are trying to make this an economic system style debate (Capitalist vs communist). To be honest that's a bullshit debate anyways.

For me this is a CULTURAL debate.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for business name to be stated in english or french on a business sign. I don't care if it's in teeny tiny letters compared to the rest of the sign, just that it be on that sign.

Things like this just perpetuate the cultural divide and stereotypes in a "multicultural" society like Canada.
I don't see how the capitalism/communism debate here is bullshit. Capitalism has such a giant influence on culture. You're able to open up your own private business here so as long as you're not breaking any laws, you should be able to do whatever you want. That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
You can't make kids talk to other kids, fair enough. The thing that pisses me off is exactly like Great68 said, a "cultural divide."

Pushing other races out of certain places is not right. I've been to fucking restaurants that clearly mark "NO ENGLISH." It brings me to open a restaurant and put a sign saying "NO ASIANS" because its the same goddamn point.

P.S. Best part: I doubt the asians could read "NO ASIANS" anyway, because they don't have the fucking courtesy to learn ENGLISH.
I've never had any problems finding people who couldn't speak any English at all in Richmond. I've certainly never seen any 'NO ENGLISH' signs but even if there were those signs, I don't see why you have to eat at that restaurant anyway. Just don't go there. If a lot of people don't eat there, then they will lose business and fail or they will be forced to hire English speaking companies to compete.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #169

if the signage is Chinese-only, then you wouldn't go in expecting service available in English anyways. If the signs were in English and you go in and then found out they son't speak English, theres going to be another petition saying you want all workers to speak English so you can be served. Do you see the pattern?
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #170

Quote:
I've never had any problems finding people who couldn't speak any English at all in Richmond. I've certainly never seen any 'NO ENGLISH' signs but even if there were those signs, I don't see why you have to eat at that restaurant anyway. Just don't go there. If a lot of people don't eat there, then they will lose business and fail or they will be forced to hire English speaking companies to compete.
You are the problem with today's society.

Fuck this thread.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post

P.S. Best part: I doubt the asians could read "NO ASIANS" anyway, because they don't have the fucking courtesy to learn ENGLISH
Curious where did you see this sign that said that. Thats a whole different debate than what this thread is about.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #172

^^ Was afew years ago.. some noodle house on No.3 road just South of Alderbridge.

Don't remember the name because yknow, I don't speak Canto/Mandarin, so never went back. (Friends ordered)
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #173
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Fail me for this, but, if I were to have a store where that ginsing store is, and I called it "Whites Only", specializing in white linens and towels from all over the world, and all my staff spoke French only.

Would you be telling me to change my name? How I advertise? How my employees deal with the non French speaking people? I'm sure a lot of people would find it discriminating to one race only, interpret it as racist, and raise shit over how it's only French in there. Sure the employees can speak fluent english, but they don't even make the effort into attempting to communicate with you.

Would you tell me then how I can and can't advertise?
Posted via RS Mobile
You are welcome to do that and I genuinely encourage you to open that store so I can laugh when your store bankrupts in a week.
Posted via RS Mobile
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #174
Banned (ABWS)

People have to realize, Chinese only signs does not equal chinese races only. No English is not the same as no whites. Cause clearly whites are the only people who speak english.

This farce is as ridiculous as me going into some gudwara and expecting them to preach in english rather than punjabi. There's nothing stopping a non brown person with knowledge of the language from participating.
Posted via RS Mobile
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #175
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i know its hard to see the problem here to some, be lets put it this way

i move to china, eventually plenty of white people move there, enough to make chinese a minority in a pretty large area, chinese people make an effort being like hey, i wanna be welcome, this is my country we let you into anyways right? then me being like, fuck you, dont like it, go elsewhere....

think about it.. as accepting as Canada is to multiculturalism there is still a line.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: