REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #226
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
good deeds don't usually bring in income
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #227
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

While people can argue that it's not his fault that the customer is willing to pay sky high prices, it still unethical. This is like telling a white lie, instead of just quoting an absurd price, tell them that you don't really want to do it and that the price it takes for you do it. This forum likes to call people out for being dishonest, yet the people here aren't really honest either.

I remember one mechanic wanting to charge my mom 150/hr to fix a honda.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #228
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duy- View Post

-op is stupid for agreeing to have "a guy I know" work on his car
-are they professionals?
-why didn't you take it to a professional?
-do you honestly think you're doing a public service* announcement? sorry most people aren't that stupid, those who are need that kick in the ass to learn

-2 guys who did the job are stupid for accepting the money
-you're not professionals
-even professionals have to deal with shitty customers or their own errors
-next time just pass unless that 800$ was worth it for you
Posted via RS Mobile
I don't think the 2 guys doing the job are stupid at all for accepting the money to do the job. no, I don't know them, but if someone comes up to me with a job and I feel confident that I can do it, I will accept it. im not a ticketed gas fitter, so I wouldn't take a job to fix a gas line in your house just like limitless and his friend probably wouldn't take on a job to do an engine swap or do an auto to 5spd conversion on a car.

professional or not, doesn't matter. to the op, the price was right. if your rebuilding a deck in your back yard, do you seek for a reputable company...or ask your neighbor to build it for half the price cause you know he has a table saw?

money was worth it to the op at the time, so I really don't feel that sympathetic for him. life lesson for him.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #229
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
perhaps stupid is the wrong word

if I offered 800$ today for those 2 to do the same job on a TL today would they accept it?
are they as confident with their work?
do they feel it's morally alright to take that money?
if the answer is no then it definitely was a job they should have turned down
if yes then I kinda lose respect for them
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #230
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
I can't justify someone taking 800$ or any money when you have no experience whatsoever.
OP is stupid, but the guy who accepted the cash is a low life dick.
A met a guy and didn't know him very well and he asked me to paint his wheels... He offered money but I told him to just buy the supplies and a dinner and ill give u a hand.
Why did I not take his money?
Cause I have only painted wheels twice, the slack of exp is not worth the money he offered
He shouldn't have to pay someone to learn something.
And I'm not a hungry savage wolf.. I assume you are not too, right?
Could be wrong
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Grim; 06-20-2013 at 08:53 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #231
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
There is only 1 problem. Everyone has a different perception of quality. What some people consider a nice weld I consider a dogs breakfast. The only real important part is if the customer is happy.

I've done 50+ private welding/cnc jobs for around 10 local forums and zero complaints.

a) If I can't do it I say NO

b) If you say "but Billy will do it for $34" I say take it to Billy, because you are just going to complain as you are looking to save pennies and I have no patience for you

c) If I don't want to do it I put a high price on it. They paid, were happy with the work and it ended up being in a magazine. It's their money. They are happy with the end result and that's all that matters.

d) On the other hand I have done countless jobs for peanuts to help people out just because I enjoy the work and practice makes perfect. I hate seeing people getting gouged for simple stuff.

e) shops don't do favors, shops have bills to pay and families to feed, good ones will stand behind their work
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #232
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
if I offered 800$ today for those 2 to do the same job on a TL today would they accept it?
Knowing what they know now... probably not.

Then again, if you offered them $800 today for that work, knowing what YOU know now, then, well... you and your money deserve to be parted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
I can't justify someone taking 800$ or any money when you have no experience whatsoever.
Let's remember the entire chain of events here:
1. "Mechanic" (for lack of a better generic term) never solicited his services to OP.
2. Mechanic was minding his own business when OP regularly pestered him online for free advice.
3. OP then asked mechanic to do the job of his own volition.
4. Mechanic agreed to do the job probably despite his better judgement.
5. OP offers cash; mechanic pulls a number out of his ass; OP agrees to it.
6. Mechanic finds himself in over his head but still puts in a best effort.

Having been in a "similar position" to "mechanic" here, the only thing I see that he did wrong was to take the job in the first place... not because he didn't know what he was doing (apparently he did have a fair clue, but was just unfamiliar with this car), but because he already knew OP was going to be a pain in the butt.

Far as I can tell, he took the job as much to be a nice guy and help someone out, not FOR the money... a professional might know how long such a job SHOULD take and could price accordingly, but you're right, "mechanic" is NOT a pro and so had to guess and what his and his buddy's time might be worth.
OP was fine with the quote at the time, and if things hadn't gotten complicated, nobody would be complaining about it, would they?

Quote:
A met a guy and didn't know him very well and he asked me to paint his wheels... He offered money but I told him to just buy the supplies and a dinner and ill give u a hand.
Cause I have only painted wheels twice, the slack of exp is not worth the money he offered
Could be wrong
Posted via RS Mobile
I've done the same... guy on another forum offered cash to figure out a problem with his Jeep not starting... he was nearby, so I offered to do it for a dinner.

I've also recently done a radio install for cash... took a lot longer than I planned, and a return visit, but I got it done, and the person is ecstatic with the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #233

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
perhaps stupid is the wrong word

are they as confident with their work?
do they feel it's morally alright to take that money?
if the answer is no then it definitely was a job they should have turned down
if yes then I kinda lose respect for them
Posted via RS Mobile
I'm sorry you feel this way and I do respect your opinion, in the end everyone is free to believe what they want. After this, if you offered me that much money to do the same thing if it came with months and months of asking problems and countless hours of research on things that had nothing to do with the job, no I would not take the money. Hell I wouldn't have taken the money in the first place had I known all the trouble it would bring and Eric feels the same (trouble isn't including this thread or anything to do about the work on the headlight). The headlight in the end came out okay, if I knew that we would have had to redo it again then no I would not have taken the money. I thought we could have done it at first try, but an accident happened with alcohol rub (stupid accident) and I did not foresee that. After redoing it, everything was fine. I am confident on a HID PnP install and a switchback install... Headlight, after having to reseal it his, I definitely need to do my own headlight a few more times before I can even say I'm comfortable with it anymore

Quote:
Could be wrong
Posted via RS Mobile
Headlight job did not seem hard and it wasn't. The rest are very very simple things that could not have been screwed up, and they weren't. The headlight itself was only delayed another few days because we had to redo it, and yes I completely admit fault for that, but the rest aren't issues about the headlight itself, it's mainly things that are completely out of my control (previous damages from previous owner of the car...? AC problem afterwards that should not have been linked to LED wiring, etc..). If I knew that it would take so much trouble I would not have taken the money. If you're talking about money, I said it before on the thread, in the end I received much much less than $5 an hour. The countless hours helping him research (4g TL's are impossible to find info on online), helping him obtain quotes from other shops, helping him with everything else about his car (quotes, information about exhaust, paint, etcetc..). Trust me, if I could take my time back and give him his money back and have none of this happen both Eric and I would be VERY happy to. I spent a lot of time myself helping him, but I'm sure Eric has spent even more than me talking about stuff that was unrelated to whatever we were doing for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
There is only 1 problem. Everyone has a different perception of quality. What some people consider a nice weld I consider a dogs breakfast. The only real important part is if the customer is happy.

I've done 50+ private welding/cnc jobs for around 10 local forums and zero complaints.

a) If I can't do it I say NO

b) If you say "but Billy will do it for $34" I say take it to Billy, because you are just going to complain as you are looking to save pennies and I have no patience for you

c) If I don't want to do it I put a high price on it. They paid, were happy with the work and it ended up being in a magazine. It's their money. They are happy with the end result and that's all that matters.

d) On the other hand I have done countless jobs for peanuts to help people out just because I enjoy the work and practice makes perfect. I hate seeing people getting gouged for simple stuff.

e) shops don't do favors, shops have bills to pay and families to feed, good ones will stand behind their work
The thing is, headlight work is straight forward to me but I consider it very very time consuming. The amount of time to take off the bumper carefully and the headlights took me a good hour (I don't know if it's just me but holy shit 4g TL bumpers are annoying to take off. Never ran into a car like this before). Then took everything off the headlight (ballast, screws), baked it, pried it open which took another hour or so for both. Stripped the chrome off, sanded it and prepped it, primer, paint while sanding in between... Figuring out how to mount the LEDs on the shroud then leading the wires out of the headlight while putting all the pieces back together, then sealing the headlight. Etcetcetc took a very long time. I would not have ever done this for free for a stranger, a good friend maybe or to return a favour.

On the other hand, I have no problem at all helping friends swap wheels, install spacers, intakes, exhaust, etcetc because that stuff isn't as time consuming

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #234
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
I did free work for Soundy cause he's a lazy prick. Then his dog shat on my lawn.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #235
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
On the other hand, I have no problem at all helping friends swap wheels, install spacers, intakes, exhaust, etcetc because that stuff isn't as time consuming
cant really fuck that up
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #236
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
last time i accepted an offer to help a friend i was amazed by the amount of unpredictable shit that went wrong.

a co worker bought coil overs for his civic and asked me to help install, i said sure.. 100$ shouldnt be too hard ive done my suspension and friends many times.. so it turns out a bunch of my tools are stripped from doing previous LCAs, his sway bars were seized, he didnt have proper lug nuts for his new wheels, fenders were not rolled to handle the new wide wheels... long story short is that it was not worth the 100$ for me.. sometimes when offering to help people you win or lose, it cant always be perfect... especially when going into the job blind and unprepared..

ps co workers car turned out great, just took longer than anticipated...

both the "modder" and OP were at fault in this, "modder" took on to large of a project and OP is still clueless as fck

i hope everyone learns something from this

Last edited by snails; 06-20-2013 at 12:10 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #237
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
so tempted to edit title to modding privates...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #238

Please change Limitless' user title to Private Modder

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #239
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #240

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
cant really fuck that up
I could see many things going wrong with that, stripped bolts, bad alignment, etcetc :S But yes, not exactly difficult, which is why I said I wouldn't mind that.

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #241
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
I did free work for Soundy cause he's a lazy prick. Then his dog shat on my lawn.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #242

Nah, cuter (the dog, not Soundy)

RSUV #7
Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #243

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Thread was a lol.

Legit lesson:
Don't expect it a job to be perfect. Something ALWAYS goes not according to plan. It's a fucking car, there's too many variables on half-decent sized jobs.

And when it comes to money. You can't fucking blame Limitless for this shit, OP didn't know shit as $1100 or $800 is still way too much for a 'blackout headlight DIY.' OP was just LAZY, didn't want to send out the headlights, and didn't do checks on Limitless' work.

Spoiler!
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #244

Quote:
And I bet the grass came up nice and green in that spot too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
last time i accepted an offer to help a friend i was amazed by the amount of unpredictable shit that went wrong.
This is the thing: even if you're a pro, from time to time you'll run into something that completely befuddles you and what should be a simple job takes all frakkin' day. Doesn't matter if you're talking mechanical, electrical... or just about any other profession, not just automotive. Maybe something gets stuck and needs a bigger hammer, maybe something that's already weakened breaks off when it normally wouldn't... maybe you get a new model to work on and something subtle has changed and throws the whole process off, but not until you're deep into it.

Quote:
a co worker bought coil overs for his civic and asked me to help install, i said sure.. 100$ shouldnt be too hard ive done my suspension and friends many times.. so it turns out a bunch of my tools are stripped from doing previous LCAs, his sway bars were sized, he didnt have proper lug nuts for his new wheels, fenders were not rolled to handle the new wide wheels... long story short is that it was not worth the 100$ for me.. sometimes when offering to help people you win or lose, it cant always be perfect... especially when going into the job blind and unprepared..
Oh yeah, I have similar kinds of stories... from my years in various IT jobs, from a couple years doing car audio, and plenty from my current decade or so doing CCTV and security systems. Pretty sure everyone who does any kind of professional, technical or hands-on work does. Dismissing it as "well a professional wouldn't have had that problem" is unfair and misleading.

Quote:
i hope everyone learns something from this
If RS has taught me anything, it's that there's always room for funny cat pictures.

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #245

I private modded melloman's car and all I got was chicken nuggets.

chicken nuggets

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #246

Quote:
Nah, cuter (the dog, not Soundy)
How could you be mad at this face?

Edit: and I told you to let me know the next time you're at the sushi place over here, and I'd buy you unagi
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #247

I agreed, that dog's cute as fuck.

RSUV #7
Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #248
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
regardless of what happened, its not us; the community to say whats right or wrong.
its up to the customer and dealer to sort it out. our opinion is nothing greater than 0.
to OP, you're an idiot for paying the amount you did, and the way you scheduled the payment. i hope this lesson taught you well.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #249
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Everyone, I am not posting this forum for personal attacks to either me or limitless. It was not my intention to start a fight over this issue. Limitless and I have are settling this matter personally so I would appreciate it if attacks on both sides would stop.

Thank you
Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #250

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
regardless of what happened, its not us; the community to say whats right or wrong.
its up to the customer and dealer to sort it out. our opinion is nothing greater than 0.
to OP, you're an idiot for paying the amount you did, and the way you scheduled the payment. i hope this lesson taught you well.
BTW. Spotted you at highgate last night around 8:15pm parked on Salisbury!
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread