REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #276
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Except for when you blocked him? Not ragging on you or anything but make sure what you say is consistent so we don't doubt you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
I did not block him to block communication, it was just out of anger and I didn't want it on facebook anymore. Possibly 25% of our overall communication was done through facebook, most was done through phone. I answered all of his calls and texts and I still have up to this day.
No worries, the reason why I wanted this thread to stay up is to clear up any confusion people may have. As I said earlier throughout the past few pages too, I did block him but on facebook. He could have called or texted me anytime, he has my phone number and we have done most of our communication through the phone, facebook was just every now and then when it was more convenient. I blocked him out of anger, but I still reply to his texts and calls if he wanted to communicate. I still haven't unblocked him on facebook, but we have been talking on the phone the entire time, including now.
Advertisement

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #277
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Selective reading is selective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #278
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,033 Times in 548 Posts
I really tried to restraint from posting in this thread. As I read through the pages, I just get more annoyed at the fact that a whole lot of you throw the word scammer out @ limitless and Eric. Off course everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I just wanted to post here to say that I for one feels for Limitless on this issue. Not saying that he has done nothing wrong. But I can easily see how he came up with the $800 charge. I dont want to repeat what has been repeated 100Xs in this thread. He just added up all the cost of the materials + all the time he would spent on the project (honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he and eric both charged something like $10/hr and still ended up like a final $800 number)
30 hours of $10/hr for 2 people is already $600
Dont bring up how a "professional" wouldnt need 60 man hours for this project. Yes a professional probably would not need even 10 hours, but with Limitless/Eric skill level, maybe they just concluded it is a 60 hour job and therefore $600 labor will be added to the total cost.

I think most of us post our own projects of our own cars on facebook/revscene member journal or whatnot. There will always be someone who you barely know who stumbles upon your blog/picture album/journal. They will like what they see and asks you how much can you do it for their car?

I spoiler tagged a personal experience, because I know the post is already getting kinda long

Spoiler!

At least in my opinion, both the OP, Limitless and Eric were fully opened and no one was intentionally trying to fool anyone out of any sort of money. So the word scammer shouldnt be thrown around so lightly. I wouldnt categorized them as the same as scaomothny LMK xD

lesson learned all around.

hehe sorry about the long rant!

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #279
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
I really tried to restraint from posting in this thread. As I read through the pages, I just get more annoyed at the fact that a whole lot of you throw the word scammer out @ limitless and Eric. Off course everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I just wanted to post here to say that I for one feels for Limitless on this issue. Not saying that he has done nothing wrong. But I can easily see how he came up with the $800 charge. I dont want to repeat what has been repeated 100Xs in this thread. He just added up all the cost of the materials + all the time he would spent on the project (honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he and eric both charged something like $10/hr and still ended up like a final $800 number)
30 hours of $10/hr for 2 people is already $600
Dont bring up how a "professional" wouldnt need 60 man hours for this project. Yes a professional probably would not need even 10 hours, but with Limitless/Eric skill level, maybe they just concluded it is a 60 hour job and therefore $600 labor will be added to the total cost.

I think most of us post our own projects of our own cars on facebook/revscene member journal or whatnot. There will always be someone who you barely know who stumbles upon your blog/picture album/journal. They will like what they see and asks you how much can you do it for their car?

I spoiler tagged a personal experience, because I know the post is already getting kinda long

Spoiler!

At least in my opinion, both the OP, Limitless and Eric were fully opened and no one was intentionally trying to fool anyone out of any sort of money. So the word scammer shouldnt be thrown around so lightly. I wouldnt categorized them as the same as scaomothny LMK xD

lesson learned all around.

hehe sorry about the long rant!
Do you still do vinyl wraps?
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #280
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Read this thread instead of playing Dota.

I dont know about trying to justify the charges... Limitless posted something about it not ending up being 5$ an hour, and dark0821 goes with the whole hourly thing...

If you have no fucking experience and the guy wants to give you money to do it, shouldnt a more fair price be a quote at a real shop - a certain percentage that you think is fair? If you charge hourly it makes no fucking sense because you spend more time on it, if anything it should be straight up flat rate @ 12 bucks an hour or something.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
Read this thread instead of playing Dota.
I dont know about trying to justify the charges... Limitless posted something about it not ending up being 5$ an hour, and dark0821 goes with the whole hourly thing...

If you have no fucking experience and the guy wants to give you money to do it, shouldnt a more fair price be a quote at a real shop - a certain percentage that you think is fair? If you charge hourly it makes no fucking sense because you spend more time on it, if anything it should be straight up flat rate @ 12 bucks an hour or something.
But the problem is this, not me, not limitless, not eric was promoting about our skill sets; and wanting customers. Be vinyl wrapping, headlight baking, led wiring. We are all just minding our own business, these people come to us, not the other way around. And lets face it, who wouldnt want some extra cash in their pocket (ofc I dont know Limitless or Eric, So i am just strictly speaking for myself).

As far as me reading this thread, I think I can say, I do have some experience wraping vinyl, limitless have some experience baking headlights, eric has some experience wiring leds.

Its these experiences that we have that forms the basis for our cost/profit/formula. Because we know from our OWN EXPERIENCE how long a task takes for US to do.

I dont want to repeat myself, but if the consumer chooses ME/Limitless/Eric over others to do up their car. Than it is irrelevant what the market charges, because we must figure out a way to make sure that we actually just doesnt volunteer our time for complete strangers. I am not arguing if Limitless/Eric over charged the OP or not. I am just putting a side of the story from Limitless point of view because I have had similar experiences. I just have a problem of the forum members who calls people like me or limitless scammers. How did he scam the OP out of anything.

I included another example lol just for giggles
Spoiler!

lol... I must be on something to feel this emotional towards a forum discussion LOLOLOL

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #282

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
But then when you turned your computer on you realized the video card wasn't connected to the PSU and was actually just a piece of cardboard.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #283

@dark0821 Everything you said was spot on, thank you sir

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #284

I hate the 'customer is always right' philosophy in our culture.

The customer is always an asshole. People expect way way too much.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #285
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

But if you do work for someone who approaches you your concern should be cost/skill rather than cost/profit.

If someone comes up to me and asks me to paint their mirrors, the immediate thought is cost of materials + labour I think it would take and how much I think my labour is worth hourly. Hypothetically $50 paint + $12 bucks an hour and it would take maybe 20 hours to get it sanded, primed, sealed, paint, clear cause I am a noob (for the sake of this thread). Round it off, "ill do them for $290"

"But this shop is charging me $200"

"Then do it at the shop, My price is based on how long I think it would take me."

So yeah charging hourly makes no sense, market price is completely relevant to be fair to both consumer and producer. If you feel that you need to
Quote:
figure out a way to make sure that we actually just doesnt volunteer our time for complete strangers.
And that price ends up being higher or similar to what a body shop would charge; guess what? Yeah send them to a body shop, your time isnt worth shit if you have no experience, its about the job. Did you do the job well? No? Then do it again. Did you fuck it up so bad that the entire unit needs to be replaced? Too bad eat that cost, you took the job.

It isnt that rare to find in real body shops them having to lose money on a job because their technician fucked up. So why cant you as an amateur accidentally volunteer your time due to a few fuck ups on a job that you accepted money for.

Just to clarify, I am completely fine with people doing work unprofessionally. And I am even more fine with fuck ups due to this, or delays, or unexpected things happening, or unhappy "customers". Its how people decide to price things, what people feel their time is worth, and how it apparently isnt market price related, is what I have an issue with.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #286
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Limitless, clear your PM box please. Delete your sentbox if you need everything in your inbox.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #287

Thread summary: "That backyard mechanic doesn't do business the same way I would do business, so he must be a douche and a scammer, because obviously I'm the only person who knows how this business must be conducted and everyone must follow my lead."
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #288
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
^ Have fun at britannia saturday!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #289
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
This is all I could think of every time I read the title.
As has been said though the air is pretty much cleared here, and both the op and limitless know that it was a mistake and are trying to make it right. No need for insults, although the 69ing on a pile of OP's money made me laugh my ass off.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 06-20-2013 at 10:45 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
This is all I could think of every time I read the title.
Tina Turner - Private Dancer 1984 - YouTube
SMARTS
Quote:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #291
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
What can I say? I heard a lot of tina turner growing up at my grandparents house in the early 80s, and I figured the young guys in here could take this opportunity to learn a bit about some real soul music.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #292
RS Lurker, I don't post!

You got a question, girl I got the answer.. (Yeah)
You can be my PRIVATE MODDER
Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #293

Quote:
But if you do work for someone who approaches you your concern should be cost/skill rather than cost/profit.

If someone comes up to me and asks me to paint their mirrors, the immediate thought is cost of materials + labour I think it would take and how much I think my labour is worth hourly. Hypothetically $50 paint + $12 bucks an hour and it would take maybe 20 hours to get it sanded, primed, sealed, paint, clear cause I am a noob (for the sake of this thread). Round it off, "ill do them for $290"

"But this shop is charging me $200"

"Then do it at the shop, My price is based on how long I think it would take me."

So yeah charging hourly makes no sense, market price is completely relevant to be fair to both consumer and producer. If you feel that you need to

And that price ends up being higher or similar to what a body shop would charge; guess what? Yeah send them to a body shop, your time isnt worth shit if you have no experience, its about the job. Did you do the job well? No? Then do it again. Did you fuck it up so bad that the entire unit needs to be replaced? Too bad eat that cost, you took the job.

It isnt that rare to find in real body shops them having to lose money on a job because their technician fucked up. So why cant you as an amateur accidentally volunteer your time due to a few fuck ups on a job that you accepted money for.

Just to clarify, I am completely fine with people doing work unprofessionally. And I am even more fine with fuck ups due to this, or delays, or unexpected things happening, or unhappy "customers". Its how people decide to price things, what people feel their time is worth, and how it apparently isnt market price related, is what I have an issue with.
We did mess up the headlight, and we did redo it right away without saying anything except for sorry to the OP because he had to leave his headlight with us again while we redo it.
Yes market price is related if I were to go and advertise my work wanting to make money from a business-like point of view. But if someone comes up to me and asks me how much I would charge if they were to pay me for the work, I would give a price depending on how much time I think I would take myself to do the work. If the market price is lower than my price, then so be it, get it done elsewhere because I am not really looking for the job in the first place. If my price were to be less than $10 an hour due to the market price and my lack of skill/speed to do it the same as professional shops out there, I don't see why I would want to work for that amount of money when I could be doing something else. Which is why again, I was asked for a price, and I gave one judging on the time it would take me personally to do it. If it could be done elsewhere for less time then by all means go for it, I am not trying to sell anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Limitless, clear your PM box please. Delete your sentbox if you need everything in your inbox.
Sorry, inbox has been cleared

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #294

^ hahaha Limitless gets my philosophy completely. Market value is there for people who wants to compete in the said market. While me and Limitless are not even "in the market in the first place"

btw Limitless I think I spotted you on 41st near Victoria around 1040amish today =P

Quote:
Its how people decide to price things, what people feel their time is worth, and how it apparently isnt market price related, is what I have an issue with.
I just want to say that is exactly why i am NOT in the vinyl wrapping business, and/or I would dare to say why Limitless is NOT in the headlight baking profession. Because why would we take on a job that "according to market value" will land us less than minimum wage. You make it sound like its our responsibility to refer everyone who approach us to other people because our lack of skill hinders us to do business in our skill sets. We cant stop people from approaching us, if they DO APPROACH us, I think I am entitled to charge whatever much I want as long as the customer has a full understanding of what he is paying for. If the customer feels like we are expensive he is more than welcome to go to someone else. I even tell my customers to call MM design LOL. No joke. I dont want to waste time, and I am sure you dont too.

The older I get the more I feel like my time is worth a lot of money. And just for the sake of the argument, I feel like my time is worth alot more than $12/hour. I take most of these jobs just out of the good will that I get a chance to check out some cars.

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD

Last edited by dark0821; 06-20-2013 at 11:22 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #295
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
To sum it up, something is worth whatever something will pay for it, not what people perceive as it's true "value".
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #296

Quote:
^ hahaha Limitless gets my philosophy completely. Market value is there for people who wants to compete in the said market. While me and Limitless are not even "in the market in the first place"

btw Limitless I think I spotted you on 41st near Victoria around 1040amish today =P
Yes exactly that, except I can't word it properly lol. Yup that was me, was going to study for an exam in the afternoon but ended up on here most of the morning

EDIT: If it matters... this is the LED thing we did, not just a strip on the bottom of the headlight as some of you may think

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

Last edited by Limitless; 06-21-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #297
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
I am willing to bet Limitless never told OP that he has no experience with doing Acuras, and only basic shit on his own car. He probably said something along the lines of "Oh yeah thats no problem". Leading OP to believe Limitless knew what he was doing, and he has admitted he doesnt. Lying to make money and then doing a shody job is scamming as far as I can tell. OP clearly seemed FOBish, and I bet they recognized that and took advantage of the situation.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #298
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
is this still a thing? the same things have been repeated 10+ times now.. let it die.. people suck

/thread
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #299

Thanked 1,490 Times in 570 Posts
darkman and limitless sittin in a tree..... M-O-D-D-I-N-G

11938 95a Ave Delta
I can be reached VIA text @ 778-232-1465

Oil change special $70 5 liters synthetic oil including OEM filter Fender rolling from $45 per fender
Car Audio:
Focal, Morel, Genesis, Clarion, Scosche, Escort, Compustar, GReddy, Blitz, Tomei, Motul, Endless, Defi, Cusco, Nismo + More

We specialize in:
Custom Car Audio
Race/4x4 Fabrication
Forced Induction
Engine Swaps
General Maintenance
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #300
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
ppl need to stop modding privates

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread