REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #476
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Did they say whether he had an actual 777 sim running on his home setup? Maybe he liked flying a Cessna sim to unwind?
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #477
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Some one said it was just one of those computer joystick things, so I can assume is was Microsoft Flight Sim, or whatever the latest gadgetry was. Could be any aircraft his heart desires.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #478
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
Pretty much every system on an a/c can be somehow disabled via the circuit breakers. It has to be. If an electrical component starts drawing too much power it can start a fire. That's why you have circuit breakers or fuses. They need to be able to be replaced or reset in flight. That means they can also be pulled on purpose. I don't see any way around this.
But they can easily get around this problem by having a dedicated circuit just for the transmitter therefore the circuit could never be over loaded, no?
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #479
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
^ In theory if everything functions properly then the max load required by the system will be below what the breaker is set for (ie if you have something that can pull up to 9A you may put in a 10A breaker). From what I gather all the major systems already get their own breaker, but if they have a wiring fault or happen to malfunction, they can end up tripping that breaker. There's no way to have a circuit that could "never be over loaded", under proper working circumstances no circuit should be able to be overloaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Well here's the other problem with this whole theory that the pilot was using a 777 simulator because he planned to hijack the plane: dude is already a 777 pilot... presumably fully trained, lots of stick time on the real thing... so why would having the simulator make taking over the plane any easier?

Well if he was going to be attempting any funky flying or memorizing a route he wouldn't exactly be able to practice those maneuvers while working, so enter the sim. This is just a random example so I make no claims that any of this would be plausible, but if he was going to be doing something like say descending as fast as possible then levelling out as low as possible to avoid radar he could run through the sim to see how far he can push the plane.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:55 PM   #480
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
But they can easily get around this problem by having a dedicated circuit just for the transmitter therefore the circuit could never be over loaded, no?
It's not about overloading the circuit by having too many electrics on. It's the fact that any single component can fail internally and overheat the circuit and start a fire.

Even if a GPS transmitter is on it's own circuit powered by an external windmill, if something goes wrong and the transmitter starts pulling too much power, it can overheat and start a fire. It still needs a fuse or circuit breaker. Unless this is hidden from the crew during flight, it will be able to be disabled.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the aircraft had a major onboard failure which precipitated into an onboard fire, which caused the aircraft to crash into the ocean. I believe the email that has been going around that the oil rig worker saw a plane go down. I can't imagine anyone writing an email like that for shits and giggles. Considering the way it is structured.. I believe it is the most simple, and most likely explanation.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2014, 01:12 AM   #481
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Keeps getting stranger by the day...

MH370 deliberately flown to Andaman Islands, sources say

Quote:
KUALA LUMPUR, March 14 — Military radar-tracking evidence suggests a Malaysia Airlines jetliner missing for nearly a week was deliberately flown across the Malay peninsula towards the Andaman Islands, sources familiar with the investigation told Reuters yesterday.

Two sources said an unidentified aircraft that investigators believe was Flight MH370 was following a route between navigational waypoints — indicating it was being flown by someone with aviation training — when it was last plotted on military radar off the country’s northwest coast.

The last plot on the military radar’s tracking suggested the plane was flying toward India’s Andaman Islands, a chain of isles between the Andaman Sea and the Bay of Bengal, they said.

Waypoints are geographic locations, worked out by calculating longitude and latitude, that help pilots navigate along established air corridors.

A third source familiar with the investigation said inquiries were focusing increasingly on the theory that someone who knew how to fly a plane deliberately diverted the flight, with 239 people on board, hundreds of miles off its intended course from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

“What we can say is we are looking at sabotage, with hijack still on the cards,” said that source, a senior Malaysian police official.

All three sources declined to be identified because they were not authorised to speak to the media and due to the sensitivity of the investigation.

Officials at Malaysia’s Ministry of Transport, the official point of contact for information on the investigation, did not return calls seeking comment.

Malaysian police have previously said they were investigating whether any passengers or crew had personal or psychological problems that might shed light on the mystery, along with the possibility of a hijacking, sabotage or mechanical failure.
In the Gallery

A woman wearing a mask against the haze walks past a board saying ‘Pray for MH370’ in front of the Kuala Lumpur City Centre (KLCC) March 14, 2014. — Reuters pic

The comments by the three sources are the first clear indication that foul play is the main focus of official suspicions in the Boeing 777’s disappearance.

As a result of the new evidence, the sources said, multinational search efforts were being stepped up in the Andaman Sea and also the Indian Ocean.

Last sighting

In one of the most baffling mysteries in modern aviation, no trace of the plane nor any sign of wreckage has been found despite a search by the navies and military aircraft of more than a dozen countries.

The last sighting of the aircraft on civilian radar screens came shortly before 1.30am Malaysian time last Saturday (1730 GMT Friday), less than an hour after it took off from Kuala Lumpur, as the plane flew northeast across the mouth of the Gulf of Thailand. That put the plane on Malaysia’s east coast.

Malaysia’s air force chief said on Wednesday an aircraft that could have been the missing plane was plotted on military radar at 2.15am, 200 miles (320 km) northwest of Penang Island off Malaysia’s west coast.

This position marks the limit of Malaysia’s military radar in that part of the country, a fourth source familiar with the investigation told Reuters.

When asked about the range of military radar at a news conference on Thursday, Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said it was “a sensitive issue” that he was not going to reveal.

“Even if it doesn’t extend beyond that, we can get the cooperation of the neighbouring countries,” he said.

The fact that the aircraft — if it was MH370 — had lost contact with air traffic control and was invisible to civilian radar suggested someone aboard had turned its communication systems off, the first two sources said.

They also gave new details on the direction in which the unidentified aircraft was heading — following aviation corridors identified on maps used by pilots as N571 and P628. These routes are taken by commercial planes flying from Southeast Asia to the Middle East or Europe and can be found in public documents issued by regional aviation authorities.

In a far more detailed description of the military radar plotting than has been publicly revealed, the first two sources said the last confirmed position of MH370 was at 35,000 feet about 90 miles (144 km) off the east coast of Malaysia, heading towards Vietnam, near a navigational waypoint called “Igari”. The time was 1.21am.

The military track suggests it then turned sharply westwards, heading towards a waypoint called “Vampi”, northeast of Indonesia’s Aceh province and a navigational point used for planes following route N571 to the Middle East.

From there, the plot indicates the plane flew towards a waypoint called “Gival”, south of the Thai island of Phuket, and was last plotted heading northwest towards another waypoint called “Igrex”, on route P628 that would take it over the Andaman Islands and which carriers use to fly towards Europe.

The time was then 2.15am That’s the same time given by the air force chief on Wednesday, who gave no information on that plane’s possible direction.

The sources said Malaysia was requesting raw radar data from neighbours Thailand, Indonesia and India, which has a naval base in the Andaman Islands. — Reuters
- See more at: MH370 deliberately flown to Andaman Islands, sources say | Malaysia | The Malay Mail Online
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:17 AM   #482

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
This was addressed several pages back: http://www.revscene.net/forums/69336...ml#post8432695

And how does it do that? Over 3G/4G. Which you don't have on a plane.

Next?
You have satellite communication on a plane and it's already used to send back engine data. A US army drone can fly anywhere in the world but is controlled by bass in the US. The drones send back all types of info in real time including video. An expert on CNN was talking about F-16 fighter planes, they have a floating black box. If the plane crashes the box floats to the top and starts sending out a radio signal. He said they need that on commercial planes.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #483

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Old 03-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #484
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
It's not about overloading the circuit by having too many electrics on. It's the fact that any single component can fail internally and overheat the circuit and start a fire.
Another reason is protection of the wiring itself. When I was doing car audio, the one thing we always did with amp installs, where a separate power wire was run to the battery, was put a fuse right at the battery, despite there also being one on the amp... why? Because if the wire's insulation gets worn through or otherwise damaged anywhere along its route, and grounds to the body, the entire section from there to the battery will get very hot, very fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #485

I'm intrigued about the Andaman islands report, but if there's one thing I've learned during this it's that everything has been semi-denied by somebody at some point. The only thing anybody agrees on is that the plane isn't where it's supposed to be, and that the guys with stolen passports likely weren't terrorists.

Quote:
Even if a GPS transmitter is on it's own circuit powered by an external windmill, if something goes wrong and the transmitter starts pulling too much power, it can overheat and start a fire. It still needs a fuse or circuit breaker. Unless this is hidden from the crew during flight, it will be able to be disabled.
And if it's hidden, it also can't be reset by the crew. Generally speaking, the likelihood that the crew need to reset a breaker is far greater than the crew using it to disable something.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #486
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
CNN is speculating that the plane was brought down by lithium batteries heating up and catching on fire... They seriously just need to stop already.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #487
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Do the 777s even have those problems? I thought that was limited to the new 787s. I agree CNN's idea of the day needs to die in a fire.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #488
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Do the 777s even have those problems? I thought that was limited to the new 787s. I agree CNN's idea of the day needs to die in a fire.
This. I've never heard of a 777 having lithium battery issues. At least not to the extend that the 787s seem to be having them.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #489
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
787 has a huge amount of lithium ion batteries, creating massive amounts of heat. This is the issue we hear on the news lately. But I wouldn't doubt the triple has a couple stashed away in the electrical bay, it's possible for these to have issues too. I'd say it's more likely someones laptop of iPhone's lithium battery caught on fire though
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #490
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Sorry should have specified. The batteries were in the cargo bay..

I only have 2 theory's about the matter. 1) the plane flew into a black hole and is gone forever. 2) it was flown to Sudan or something like in Lord of War and it was stripped right down. Lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #491

It sounds like that report of it flying west and north is fairly solid, in which case I'd guess either the plane was landed on crashed on the way to being landed someplace other than its intended destination.

If it did land, it could have taken off again, and after a week it could be damn near anywhere by now.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #492

CNN's new theory is the cargo manifest which MH I believe hasn't released or they have but it's not been made public. That been said, most of the "aviation" experts believe the plane crashed somewhere in the Indian ocean and is most likely in a section of the ocean which is very deep which is why they can find any beacons. And they're all pointing towards a mechanical event rather than a terrorist event occurring aboard the plane.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #493

A mechanical event that followed routes? CNN is a bit ridiculous.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #494
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,452 Times in 146 Posts
Context to that map you posted?
What am i lookin at, other than possible flight path
jepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
Context to that map you posted?
What am i lookin at, other than possible flight path
I think he's trying to point out that the plane flew a specific flight path so that wouldn't be in line with a mechanical issue.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #496

Now reports that in fact the plane might have been hijacked or possible sabotage because of erratic altitude changes before the plane disappeared. Not sure what they mean by "at least one person involved" because they didn't specifically mention any one name unless they have a suspect but holding back until they can confirm this scenario.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #497
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
A mechanical event that followed routes? CNN is a bit ridiculous.

http://airinfodotorg.files.wordpress...0-11-55-54.png
It's not certain that that unidentified radar blip is mh370 though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Now reports that in fact the plane might have been hijacked or possible sabotage because of erratic altitude changes before the plane disappeared. Not sure what they mean by "at least one person involved" because they didn't specifically mention any one name unless they have a suspect but holding back until they can confirm this scenario.
isn't it possible that turbulence/mechanical issues and pilots trying to save the plane cause erratic altitude shifts?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
It's not certain that that unidentified radar blip is mh370 though

isn't it possible that turbulence/mechanical issues and pilots trying to save the plane cause erratic altitude shifts?
I'm assuming there must be a pattern of erratic attitude shifts which hasn't been reported to the media for authorities to suspect something other than mechanical. One scenario I heard on CNN is that sources are saying that there might have been some sort of struggle in the cockpit which would explain these shifts.

Again, nothing has been confirmed so it's hearsay for now.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #499
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
wild guess out of my ass

well planned heist:

plane was high jacked, flew low out of radar, landed in burma somewhere. executed all the passengers and crew (unless some crew were in on it). planned well in advance and had in-depth knowledge of everything so they could disable or remove or whatever all those technicalities of being tracked. and of course they have the knowledge to maintain and operate the jet.

they'll lay low for 6-12+ months and let this blow over and then the plane will be used locally within some nation (somewhere in SE asia, or if they can get it to africa). and the plane will just be maintained and stored and used to ferry illegal products within their territory.

africa is an ideal place. but it's kinda far. so maybe they'll just keep it within burma. but SE asia is full of mountains and its dangerous to fly that low.

anyway, the plane will be used to transport tons of drugs, weapons and slaves and whatever else back and forth through different illegal ports, they'll just fly low all the time and out of radar.

i duno why but either i read it somewhere or it was mentioned somewhere. but in africa didn't they find a highjacked jetliner that was highjacked decades ago? it was being used for such purposes.

or maybe it was a fictional story somewhere.

but anyway. just an idea.

edit: actually, more like execute all the males, and will use the females as sex slaves... but the less risky thing to do is just to kill em all.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 03-14-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
wild guess out of my ass

well planned heist:

plane was high jacked, flew low out of radar, landed in burma somewhere. executed all the passengers and crew (unless some crew were in on it).

the plane will be used locally within some nation (somewhere in SE asia, or if they can get it to africa). and the plane will just be maintained and stored and used to ferry illegal products within their territory.

africa is an ideal place. but it's kinda far. so maybe they'll just keep it within burma. but SE asia is full of mountains and its dangerous to fly that low.

anyway, the plane will be used to transport tons of drugs, weapons and slaves and whatever else back and forth through different illegal ports, they'll just fly low all the time and out of radar.

i duno why but either i read it somewhere or it was mentioned somewhere. but in africa didn't they find a highjacked jetliner that was highjacked decades ago? it was being used for such purposes.

or maybe it was a fictional story somewhere.

but anyway. just an idea.
No possibility of the scenario above.