REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #401
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,452 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
And the term "ghost plane" isn't conspiracy nonsense.

Like posted below my original post, it basically means the flight crew and passengers were incapacitated possibly by a sudden decrease in cabin pressurization which would have resulted in rapid decrease in oxygen or temperature drop essentially freezing everyone on board within seconds. This would result in a ghost plane because everyone was dead and the aircraft was flying solo on whatever course and settings in the AP until the fuel ran out and the plane crashed.
Very plausible, though I believe they said it was supposed to be a 6ish hr flight and the plane had enough fuel for 7.5 hrs. So I dot think it would have run out of fuel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Wall Street Journal is now reporting that Rolls Royce engine monitoring data (which is transmitted live from the aircraft) reveals the aircraft was airborne for 5 hours...

http://tinyurl.com/m7jnd8x
that info from Rolls Royce engine monitoring data sure is crazy

I found this statement from the link particularly interesting..
"At one briefing, according to this person, officials were told investigators are actively pursuing the notion that the plane was diverted "with the intention of using it later for another purpose.""
Advertisement

Last edited by jepho; 03-12-2014 at 10:15 PM.
jepho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #402
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,920 Times in 3,876 Posts
"Ghost plane" sounds like a phantom plane or some kinda horror movie thing, I think people got confused by the term (I know I did).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
Very plausible, though I believe they said it was supposed to be a 6ish hr flight and the plane had enough fuel for 7.5 hrs. So I dot think it would have run out of fuel...
But if it was in fact airborne for 5 hrs the scenario you stated is what I would assume.
It had the fuel, but what would the autopilot be doing? IIRC there are scenarios that kick the plane back into manual control as well, but if the plane was up for ~5hrs as alleged wouldn't that be roughly the amount of the flight that the plane would be in AP for? After that, what does the system do? Any of our helpful pilots care to chime in?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #403
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Obviously you never been in first class or upper deck business
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
I sit there most flights
i prefer the upper deck business and if im ever in sight of the flight deck the captain/co-captain gives me the look when im watching them speak on the intercom

with security concerns you'd think they'd be able to do that with the door closed
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #404
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
flew for around 4 more hours? gaddamn..what's going?
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #405
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

This is just get more and more mysterious. I hope they find out what happened soon so that the families can get closure. I can't imagine what they are going through right now.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #406

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
So if the engines are sending back data ever 30 minutes why can't they also send GPS coordinates well.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #407
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
If the people that were on the plane still alive, i hope they know how to make a sos signal out of fire
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:36 AM   #408
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
I like sitting beside the window. I usually try and take a nap but that never works, so I listen to music for a bit. It's also good when they have good movies to choose from. The best part about flying is getting drunk before your destination.

NO....i pissed myself drunk & passed out on the way to tokyo
Old 03-13-2014, 01:44 AM   #409
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
NO....i pissed myself drunk & passed out on the way to tokyo
ummm......
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:35 AM   #410
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
"Ghost plane" sounds like a phantom plane or some kinda horror movie thing, I think people got confused by the term (I know I did).

It had the fuel, but what would the autopilot be doing? IIRC there are scenarios that kick the plane back into manual control as well, but if the plane was up for ~5hrs as alleged wouldn't that be roughly the amount of the flight that the plane would be in AP for? After that, what does the system do? Any of our helpful pilots care to chime in?
note: I don't know if these all apply to the 777, I'm not rated on that aircraft, but on a similar type. Also, I speak with experience from my own experience, each airline has different operating procedures.

Most Medium/Long Haul flights will take off without the arrival procedures (ILS and STAR if you want terms) programmed into the computer, as doing so is practically useless as conditions at the destination airport can change in 6-12 hours. That being said, if the aircraft arrives at a point of which is has nothing to follow anymore, it will simply maintain the heading and altitude or hold (Goes into HDG HOLD and ALT HOLD as opposed to LNAV and VNAV if you're keen), and keep going until someone does something to it - though not too sure, as it's not something I've personally done before; but it will definitely not "GIVE UP" so to say.

In Boeing aircraft (at least on mine), the Autopilot will not be "kicked out" unless the following occurs:
- You turn it off (duh)
- Autothrottle will turn off with an engine failure in certain engines (RR engines do this)
- Kicking of the rudder pedals
- Flight Director kicks out at Low airspeed (approaching stall)
- Over speed
- AP Failures (but there's 3? I think, on a 777)
and some others, but depressurization - no matter how quick or how slow, will not cause it to disengage

However, no matter what you do with the autopilot on, once it enters an area of radar coverage it will be picked up, and assuming that nobody has touched the transponder ident code (commonly referred to as squack code), it will remain as MH370 on the radar scope.

Fun note: everything on airplanes nowadays are fail "safe". meaning if a component fails for whatever reason it will fail in the position that favours the situation rather than make it worse.

Last edited by Gnieob; 03-13-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Gnieob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:45 AM   #411

^ thanks, that's kind of what I figured. It gives some possibility to the "depressurization knocking out the pilots" theories, but if it did then somebody would have picked it up on radar. I've been doing some reading on a pilots forum as well, and apparently the gap in between the contact with ground crews would be very small, so small that if it was highjacked the person(s) doing it were either really, really goo, or the pilots had to have been involved to know when thy were in that gap. edit: According to a National Post article, the plane disappeared only 3 minutes after Malaysian ATC told the pilots they were being handed over to the Vietnamese ATC.

Also after reading that forum, I learned that it's possible someone could have disabled the systems without accessing the cockpit, if they were familiar with that airplane and able to get into the circuit breaker maintenance panels. Of course I have no idea where those are in this type of plane and how easily someone could get to them, but supposedly this happened on SilkAir Flight 185 which crashed in 1997 (only the data recorder were shut off though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Wall Street Journal is now reporting that Rolls Royce engine monitoring data (which is transmitted live from the aircraft) reveals the aircraft was airborne for 5 hours...

http://tinyurl.com/m7jnd8x
I just read the whole thing, from the sounds of it they've gone to the home of at least one of the pilots, the engines may have been running for another 4 hours (or possibly up to 2200nm), and they're now downplaying the whole "picked up by military radar" bit. As well they're considering the possibility that someone stole the plane and is basically hiding it somewhere for future use.

And to think, some of you were brushing off the "landed at a secret airstrip" theory.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 03-13-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:03 AM   #412
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
MalaysiaAirlines executive tells skynews that Rolls Royces engines stopped transmitting their routine 'health updates' when contact lost.
Though this doesn't mean it couldn't have continued.
Posted via RS Mobile
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:04 AM   #413

Malaysia Press Conference on currently says the news of RR engine/flight information is inaccurate according to Malaysia and the Rolls Royce techs assisting with the search in Malaysia
Old 03-13-2014, 03:18 AM   #414
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
jesus christ! with all this what seems to be legit news and then denial, we almost need a list of what is 'officially confirmed' and what is just rubbish.

now there's talk about those chinese images from yesterday being nothing... the word that sums up this whole situation is definitely 'unprecedented' - but i would also like to say, i think someone somewhere is fucking up big time, either something related to the plane or with the search effort - it just seems so poorly organized. well, given it's unprecedented, i'll allow some leeway, but still, how have we not found the craft yet?
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:30 AM   #415

^ the problem is the officials seem to be BSing everything, they won't confirm or deny things at all.

Allegedly the pilot had a very elaborate flight simulator set up in his house, how elaborate I don't know but I'd be curious to know what kind of flying he had been doing with it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 AM   #416
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I really don't know what to believe now
Old 03-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #417
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
There's also rumors started from a Australian media outlet that the younger co-pilot had invited women into the cockpit a couple years ago during a flight from Phuket but so far there's been to one to collaborate the story or any incident report.

And sounds like the pilot had a home cockpit, there pretty common amongst the flight simming community. Good examples over at avsim.

I agree, don't know what to believe anymore. There's so many theories floating around, the RR engine data one was struck down by Malaysian officials but supposedly US officials say it's valid info and they're looking into it. There's also radar experts that flew in with US officials and they're going to use radar plots to see if they can track the plane.

And personally I don't trust the Malaysian officials, something seems to be off about this entire crash. Feels like someone is covering up information, whether it be a hijacking or shoddy maintenance on the plane that went down there's information that isn't been forthcoming. Just remember that Malaysia airlines is owned by the Malaysian government and the airline has been going through a financial crisis.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:15 AM   #418
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
The RR info is interesting. I've heard airlines do have this information, but I really have no information about it.

The home cockpit thing I find a little strange. The guy has enough experience to be a captain of a 777. No small feat. Yet he has one at home to practice on as well? Either, incompetent, or just plane crazy. Ok, this comment was probably not needed.

Wait and see, but there is no doubt, this shit is getting crazy.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 AM   #419
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
The home cockpit thing I find a little strange. The guy has enough experience to be a captain of a 777. No small feat. Yet he has one at home to practice on as well? Either, incompetent, or just plane crazy. Ok, this comment was probably not needed.
Incompetent is probably one of the last word you would use to describe this particular pilot. Have some respect.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:42 AM   #420
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
The RR info is interesting. I've heard airlines do have this information, but I really have no information about it.

Wait and see, but there is no doubt, this shit is getting crazy.
I don't see why it has anything to do...

The BF of a friend is a pilot for our air force... and he has a very crazy flight sim setup at home, in which he always jokes about he prepares the job he would do once retiring from the air force (becoming a commercial pilot)
Old 03-13-2014, 04:45 AM   #421

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Allegedly the pilot had a very elaborate flight simulator set up in his house, how elaborate I don't know but I'd be curious to know what kind of flying he had been doing with it.
they showed it on tv the other day it looked like it was just a joystick and his computer monitor similar to this

nothing fancy from the looks of it

Quote:
I know several pilots of varying skill (1 airliner pilot, 1 military jet fighter, 3 small aircraft pilots) almost all of them have a simulator at home and all of them play with remote controlled planes/choppers
I think they're just passionate about flying is all and its seemingly a trait they all have
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #422
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #423
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
they showed it on tv the other day it looked like it was just a joystick and his computer monitor similar to this

nothing fancy from the looks of it
While I don't think it necessarily tells us much...

I would hardly call that a plain old joystick and computer monitor.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #424
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
While I don't think it necessarily tells us much...

I would hardly call that a plain old joystick and computer monitor.
ur right, it's a plain old joystick and 5 monitors!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #425
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
The best part about flying is getting drunk before your destination.
Gotta love free alcohol during overseas flights.