REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #3101
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,729 Posts
I'm actually a proponent of a nationalized prescription plan, but roll it out to everyone, no means testing or requirements.

You cover essentially something like 5000 different base drugs, with scales of economy, the federal government has the ability to seriously lower those drug costs that fall under the umbrella of the majority of Canadians.

Leave the more expensive biologics and brand name drugs to the private plans.

It's a win win for both. Companies will pay lower premiums by not having to pay for the majority of prescription costs (leaving more income for their employees), while at the same time lowering the overall cost to basic drugs.

Means testing such a plan is just a waste of money administratively, and functionally.
Advertisement
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2022, 12:03 PM   #3102
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Singh and JT have been negotiating 1 on 1 since the fall. What have the cons been doing? infighting, because all each member wants is more power for themselves. If you think this does not go far enough you now who to vote for next election because you know Singh wanted way more.

Honda good luck emigrating to a new country. You may find someplace cheaper but it will not be better.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:45 PM   #3103
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,459 Times in 5,117 Posts
Cheaper places can be made better than better places when you have $$$$$$... a LOT better

I have friends in Thailand and Philippines living a much, much better life than I am. If you can make it work for you, take advantage.... ultra-rich people from China treat Vancouver the same way.

At least both those countries were smart enough to limit foreign ownership of their real estate since the getgo lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2022, 12:51 PM   #3104
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts

Croatian politician in the EU assembly also grilled Trudeau over trampling on democracy.

I’m already half way to an EU passport. I won’t find a better country than Canada but wherever I might go at least I won’t have to deal with the veil of bullshit we live with here.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:15 PM   #3105

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Cheaper places can be made better than better places when you have $$$$$$... a LOT better

I have friends in Thailand and Philippines living a much, much better life than I am. If you can make it work for you, take advantage.... ultra-rich people from China treat Vancouver the same way.

At least both those countries were smart enough to limit foreign ownership of their real estate since the getgo lol
People from China are moving to a better country. your friends moved to countries that are worse. your friends probably live in a bubble with a bunch of other immigrants/expats that do everything they can to make it like Canada.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:32 PM   #3106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
https://youtu.be/ONkMzWFedPE

Croatian politician in the EU assembly also grilled Trudeau over trampling on democracy.

I’m already half way to an EU passport. I won’t find a better country than Canada but wherever I might go at least I won’t have to deal with the veil of bullshit we live with here.
That guy is an antivaxxer who spreads miss-information. Might want to do a little research before posting a video of some random politician.

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2UJ0SH

Good luck with the higher gas prices and taxes in Europe.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:46 PM   #3107
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
People from China are moving to a better country. your friends moved to countries that are worse. your friends probably live in a bubble with a bunch of other immigrants/expats that do everything they can to make it like Canada.
I'm not here to argue, but define better?

Lots of people from China that I know hate it here... they like the clean air and easy lifestyle, but they miss the business opportunities and competition... it's hard to get motivated in Canada. A few days trip to Los Angeles and you will see what I mean, people are on a different system down there and it's either a breath of fresh air or repugnant depending on your personality.

The people that I know do not like ex-pats, but they also don't like working in an office 40+ hours a week to barely afford a mortgage... they cashed out, have a nice condo or home near a beach, open a small bar or tourism business and chill, travel, cook, enjoy life and explore their interests instead of doing what someone else told them to do every day. If something goes wrong medically, they can afford to go to the best hospitals. Maybe that doesn't work for everyone, but sure sounds enticing if you have the means and whereithall to make it work.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2022, 02:22 PM   #3108
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Quote:
That guy is an antivaxxer who spreads miss-information. Might want to do a little research before posting a video of some random politician.

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2UJ0SH

Good luck with the higher gas prices and taxes in Europe.
Everybody is somthing if you look hard enough..err..

Old 03-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #3109

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
I have friends in Thailand and Philippines living a much, much better life than I am.
I've heard of a few people doing that, but I'm curious how well it works out if you have kids or as you get older.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:34 PM   #3110
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,233 Posts
Also are they also white, male with a certain proclivity towards young Asian women?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2022, 03:44 PM   #3111
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Trudeau got called on out his handling of the Freedom Convoy. Glad those EU guys did it.
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-24-2022, 05:08 PM   #3112

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I've heard of a few people doing that, but I'm curious how well it works out if you have kids or as you get older.
My uncle retired in Pataya, and he loves it, standard of living to cost ratio is fantastic.

I'd never retire in this ridiculous country. Everything is expensive as fuck, especially if you're on a pension, and for what, to keep your MSP for free healthcare in an already broken down system?

Fuck that.

There is no doubt in my mind that I'll end up retiring in Thailand, Philippines or Mexico.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2022, 05:25 PM   #3113
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
This guy
Quote:
In January 2022, Kolakušić addressed French President Emmanuel Macron during a legislative session, arguing that vaccination must remain a choice, and compared vaccine mandates with capital punishment, claiming that tens of thousands had died from it citing data from the European Medicines Agency. The European Medicines Agency said in a response that the cited data was a public, self-reported database of suspected side effects which did not report deaths and would require further scientific investigation to find any causal link between the reports and the COVID-19 vaccine.[7]
As well as a woman who is a member of a political party that is under surveillance as a suspected extremist group who’s party platforms on overturning the right to same sex marriage, advocates for violence against asylum seekers who attempt to cross borders illegally, denial of climate change, etc.
But yes, they represent the EU’s opinion of Trudeau.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2022, 06:07 PM   #3114
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Also are they also white, male with a certain proclivity towards young Asian women?
Nope, moved their wife and kids there with them and single with a gf.

Though I do understand the generalization.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:08 PM   #3115

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
My uncle retired in Pataya, and he loves it, standard of living to cost ratio is fantastic.

I'd never retire in this ridiculous country. Everything is expensive as fuck, especially if you're on a pension, and for what, to keep your MSP for free healthcare in an already broken down system?

Fuck that.

There is no doubt in my mind that I'll end up retiring in Thailand, Philippines or Mexico.
Yes but how old is he? Things change a lot when you cross ~80, and everyone I've heard of that does something like that is <60.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #3116

Quote:
Nope, moved their wife and kids there with them and single with a gf.

Though I do understand the generalization.
Do they still have canadian passports? have they given up their Canadian citizienship?

Quote:

Fuck that.

Do you ever plan on having kids?
Old 03-24-2022, 06:53 PM   #3117
Performance Moderator

Why would they give up their passports? It’s one of the most visa free in the world, that would be stupid.

How is that even relevant? My buddy literally escaped from Poland in the 80’s hidden under a blanket in the trunk of a car and he still keeps his Polish passport to this day as well as his Canadian one… does that mean he wants to live in Poland? Nope, but it sure helps grease the wheels whenever he needs to do anything in Europe or when he wanted to attend school there or if he wanted to work in the EU.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:42 AM   #3118
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,233 Posts
Don't foreigners in Thailand still have to do visa runs every 30 days?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #3119
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
More of BC instead of Canada

https://globalnews.ca/news/8708458/b...ay-gas-rebate/

A whopping $110!!

Thank god I got rid of my truck last year. 136L tank vs a civic with a 47L tank. That $110 would've been equal to my truck driving to and from work, Langley - Burnaby - Langley 6 times a week, 32km each way. Average fuel consumption was 18L/100km.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #3120
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
More of BC instead of Canada

https://globalnews.ca/news/8708458/b...ay-gas-rebate/

A whopping $110!!

Thank god I got rid of my truck last year. 136L tank vs a civic with a 47L tank. That $110 would've been equal to my truck driving to and from work, Langley - Burnaby - Langley 6 times a week, 32km each way. Average fuel consumption was 18L/100km.
what a fucking joke..they need to reduce the god damn taxes on the fuel
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #3121

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Yes but how old is he? Things change a lot when you cross ~80, and everyone I've heard of that does something like that is <60.
He moved out there when he retired @ age 70. He's now 84 years old.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 11:12 AM   #3122

Quote:
Do they still have canadian passports? have they given up their Canadian citizienship?

Do you ever plan on having kids?
Kids weren't in the equation. Even with, the plan still remains. I have no intentions retiring here in Canada.

My uncle who is now in his 80's in Thailand with an extremely meager military pension ($1,500) per month, is able to own his place and live very comfortably.

To this day since leaving in his retirement, he's never came back to Canada, and never will. He fully plans to live out his life until death in Thailand, it's been 15 years now.

He hated being here in Canada with his little pension, scraping for bits to stay afloat as a retiree, Thailand was the best choice for him. I can't imagine how older folks making sub $2K a month can get by out here.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #3123

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
what a fucking joke..they need to reduce the god damn taxes on the fuel
Reducing gas taxes will not lower gas prices in the long run. gas companies know people can and will pay $2 a liter. They would just come up with an excuse to raise gas prices back up.

Quote:
Kids weren't in the equation. Even with, the plan still remains. I have no intentions retiring here in Canada.

My uncle who is now in his 80's in Thailand with an extremely meager military pension ($1,500) per month, is able to own his place and live very comfortably.

To this day since leaving in his retirement, he's never came back to Canada, and never will. He fully plans to live out his life until death in Thailand, it's been 15 years now.

He hated being here in Canada with his little pension, scraping for bits to stay afloat as a retiree, Thailand was the best choice for him. I can't imagine how older folks making sub $2K a month can get by out here.
I guess it depends on your family/financial situation. My parents plan is to eventually move to the mainland to be closer to the grand kids. My dad is flying to Alberta Saturday to watch my nephew play hockey.

I wonder what would happen if we had open boarders everywhere and anyone could move to anywhere they wanted.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:16 PM   #3124
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Reducing gas taxes will not lower gas prices in the long run. gas companies know people can and will pay $2 a liter. They would just come up with an excuse to raise gas prices back up.

I guess it depends on your family/financial situation. My parents plan is to eventually move to the mainland to be closer to the grand kids. My dad is flying to Alberta Saturday to watch my nephew play hockey.

I wonder what would happen if we had open boarders everywhere and anyone could move to anywhere they wanted.
100% I would have already sold and left with my family and moved somewhere warm most the year.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #3125
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
A good bunch of people would definitely flee their own countries and head for "the first world". Europe, Canada, US would be dealing with a massive influx of inbound migrants. There would be a short term collapse of society and social services as the countries deal with the influx, and it would be very ugly for a while. But in the medium term once things got figured out, the economy will see huge gains. For the immigrants, life in the "first world countries" would likely be better than life back home. But for those who were already living in the "first world countries", living standards will almost certainly deteriorate -- for example, density is going to suck.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote