REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Huawei CFO Wanzhou Meng arrested in Vancouver, faces extradition to U.S. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715670-huawei-cfo-wanzhou-meng-arrested-vancouver-faces-extradition-u-s.html)

buhdeh 12-10-2018 02:28 PM

Vancouver - the city of choice for Chinese criminals

CivicBlues 12-10-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8931939)
That's what I'm saying, most people don't realize the US clearance is like going through the main security all over again. Maybe it's better now but it would've been nice if someone along the line gave people a heads up not to buy anything in the regular departures area because you'll have to toss it when you get to pre-clearance.

Ok, maybe it's just me misreading but where is this "US clearance security"? I've flown to the US numerous times from the YVR US terminal and the Procedure is like this:

1. Airline Check-In Counters > 2. Security (CATSA) > 3. US Pre-clearance (US Immigration Officers) > 4. Boarding Gate area

At what point can you buy things between 2. and 3.? I'm pretty sure all the restaurants and shops are at 1. and 4.

underscore 12-10-2018 03:52 PM

Maybe it's because I've always flown in from Kelowna first. I do 1 and 2 in Kelowna, land at YVR at a normal gate inside the departures area, then go through 3 and 4. Looking at a map of YVR I think 3 is accessed in two places and which one you go through depends on whether you're starting at YVR or coming in from another flight. It's been a few years since I did it but it was always:

1. Airline Check-In Counters in Kelowna > 2. Security (CATSA) in Kelowna > 2a. Fly to YVR > 2b. Land at A/B/C gate > 2c. Walk through YVR Departures area (withing YVR security area) > 3. US Pre-clearance (US Immigration Officers) > 4. Boarding Gate area (D/E gates)

westopher 12-10-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8931932)
You know, I am really quite worried that's how this one is going to pan out. Esp with the bail hearing and her request citing poor health and medical reasons, the leftard parts of Canada might actually be stupid enough to allow this to happen. FailFish

:pokerface:
I'm pretty sure leftards would be pushing for accountability for corrupt billionaires.
The only people hoping for her release are people blindly defending the rich's right to do whatever they want without consequences because its "bad for business."
Either way, where you fall on the political spectrum seems irrelevant to the issue at hand. The laws the law, and hopefully its upheld, including her being released if she in fact did nothing wrong.

CivicBlues 12-10-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8931952)
Maybe it's because I've always flown in from Kelowna first. I do 1 and 2 in Kelowna, land at YVR at a normal gate inside the departures area, then go through 3 and 4. Looking at a map of YVR I think 3 is accessed in two places and which one you go through depends on whether you're starting at YVR or coming in from another flight. It's been a few years since I did it but it was always:

1. Airline Check-In Counters in Kelowna > 2. Security (CATSA) in Kelowna > 2a. Fly to YVR > 2b. Land at A/B/C gate > 2c. Walk through YVR Departures area (withing YVR security area) > 3. US Pre-clearance (US Immigration Officers) > 4. Boarding Gate area (D/E gates)

Got it! I have never connected through Vancouver (why would I? it's my home) So I have never experienced this. Yes, that does sound confusing for a first timer or infrequent traveller. Go petition Homeland Security for a Kelowna Airport Preclearance station :D.

Traum 12-10-2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8931953)
Either way, where you fall on the political spectrum seems irrelevant to the issue at hand. The laws the law, and hopefully its upheld, including her being released if she in fact did nothing wrong.

What I'm saying is -- I'm worried that Meng and her legal team will find a loophole or technicality of some sort to get herself out of police detention, and then good luck trying to re-arrest her. I agree with the US DOJ's assessment that she is absolutely a major flight risk.

I also have no doubts that Meng has in fact done something wrong -- basically I believe the US DOJ's accusations on her. Obviously, finding enough evidence to prove that Meng has in fact done something wrong is an entirely separate matter from whether she has done them, but that is what the Canadian and US legal system requires.

Hehe 12-10-2018 06:52 PM

I did some quick reading on today's hearing.

I'm no expert in law, but I really don't know what Meng's lawyer is trying to do here?

First, they wanted to portray Meng as a commoner who worked her ass off to reach the executive level of the company and she's really just another employee out of the thousands within Huawei and hence her risk of fleeing is low because again... she's just any other Jane Doe out there with a job.

Then when discussing the security needed to grant her bail, he mentioned that if the court isn't satisfied with the partial-cash-partial-property proposal, she can arrange to do all 15M in cash...

Isn't that a clear contrast of the original image? What kind of commoners can post 15M cash on demand?! I know she's rich and all... but the whole point of the bond was that in the case that the person wanted to flee, her life would be severely changed by losing the bond. He made it sound like 15M is pocket change for her.

welfare 12-10-2018 07:01 PM

Just reading through the Chinese media articles on this.
Some creative journalism for sure. Hahajahahaha! Awesome

teggy604 12-10-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8931975)

I'm no expert in law, but I really don't know what Meng's lawyer is trying to do here?

First, they wanted to portray Meng as a commoner who worked her ass off to reach the executive level of the company and she's really just another employee out of the thousands within Huawei and hence her risk of fleeing is low because again... she's just any other Jane Doe out there with a job.

Then when discussing the security needed to grant her bail, he mentioned that if the court isn't satisfied with the partial-cash-partial-property proposal, she can arrange to do all 15M in cash...

Isn't that a clear contrast of the original image? What kind of commoners can post 15M cash on demand?! I know she's rich and all... but the whole point of the bond was that in the case that the person wanted to flee, her life would be severely changed by losing the bond. He made it sound like 15M is pocket change for her.

15 millions is very so pocket change to her. For god sake she has a frekean legal team working around the clock trying to find a loop hole or solution. Those lawyers probably getting big bucks as well.

snowball 12-10-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8931975)

Chinese lawyers are dumb, that's why. Also, I doubt she's a common worker being the daughter of the founder of the billion dollar company :pokerface:

They will decide tomorrow what to do, the crown is asking for 7M cash but Meng is hoping for 1M cash. I don't think it matters what it is, she's gonna pay it immediately and get out of dodge anyway.

SkinnyPupp 12-10-2018 11:28 PM

The idea that they are allowing bail is insane.. She has literally as much money as she'll need, no matter what they set it at. You're basically telling China how much they need to pay to get her out.

Are they really?

Tim Budong 12-11-2018 05:03 AM

https://beta.scmp.com/news/china/dip...detained-china

former Canadian diplomat now detained in China

SkinnyPupp 12-11-2018 06:36 AM

RIP that guy LUL

China isolating itself from the rest of the world, and moving further and further from anything resembling normalcy, day by day SeemsGood

Tim Budong 12-11-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8932024)
RIP that guy LUL

China isolating itself from the rest of the world, and moving further and further from anything resembling normalcy, day by day SeemsGood

gonna be a fun Saturday walking through chinese customs with a big giant hockey canada bag...

SkinnyPupp 12-11-2018 07:11 AM

I haven't set foot in mainland in like 6 years... fuuuuuuck that shit LUL

keifun 12-11-2018 07:46 AM

And here I am planning on going to China on vacation in 5 months time. Time to reconsider?

SkinnyPupp 12-11-2018 08:00 AM

If you ever want to visit China, go sooner rather than later. It's probably only going to get worse from here on. They are attempting to wipe the culture again and redo it in the president's image. How far they can go until the people push back, we'll find out eventually

yray 12-11-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8932027)
I haven't set foot in mainland in like 6 years... fuuuuuuck that shit LUL

hey, whats that flag ontop of your local police station :awwyeah:

SkinnyPupp 12-11-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8932031)
hey, whats that flag ontop of your local police station :awwyeah:

Good one EleGiggle EleGiggle EleGiggle EleGiggle EleGiggle EleGiggle

asian_XL 12-11-2018 08:32 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/kov...sday-1.4940725

Ex-Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig detained in China

Tim Budong 12-11-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keifun (Post 8932029)
And here I am planning on going to China on vacation in 5 months time. Time to reconsider?

U be fine. Nothing illegal and there's no reason to arrest a random person.

CivicBlues 12-11-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Are you a VIP or a well-connected international businessman? No? Why would they give a fuck?

Traum 12-11-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Budong (Post 8932020)
https://beta.scmp.com/news/china/dip...detained-china

former Canadian diplomat now detained in China

How so typical of the authoritarian thug that China is. Such a childish and moronic act to detain a Canadian in retailation of Meng's arrest. Even Fat Boy Kim knows international diplomacy better than China does...

Mr.HappySilp 12-11-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

You will be fine. I went back in Nov and back then people were saying China custom literally checks everyone and if you bring any expensive stuff (Canada Goose, health care products like Usana.....) they will charge you a ton of tax. My parents and I didn't even have our luggage x ray lol.

So you will be fine. They wouldn't care at all about us regular guys like us.

shawnly1000 12-11-2018 09:59 AM

#Vancouver problems, "homemaker" able to pledge 850K of a 6M house

"MengWanzhou's lawyer suggesting there are "other sureties" other than Ms Meng's husband.

MengWanzhou now suggesting that Meng's realtor will be providing surety in the case. He helped them with both their home purchases in Vancouver; He will be putting up his home -- worth $1.8 million.

MengWanzhou lawyer suggesting there are four people intending to act as Meng's surety. Next are Lee Lin and Ken Louie

Says they will pledge $500,000 of their home's equity. Home total value is $1.4 million. They had worked with Ms Meng at Huawei and known her since the mid 1990s

Next offering to be surety for MengWanzhou is a Lee Shi, homemaker. She is pledging $850,000 of the equity in her $6 million home on West 54th Avenue in Vancouver. Her husband used to work with Meng at Huawei

Next is a Ms Peng, a neighbour of MengWanzhou on 28th Avenue in Vancouver. Says she knows both Meng and her husband well. She is a yoga instructor and has a cheque for $50,000 ready to give to the court. It comes from her retirement savings. Huawei"