REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   OFFICIAL WORKOUT/TRAINING THREAD v2.0 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/659190-official-workout-training-thread-v2-0-a.html)

jimzilla 03-07-2013 12:33 AM

Man all you fuckers are getting strong.

kcl38 03-07-2013 12:36 AM

I've only made significant gains on my deadlifts lately :okay:

Tonight I deadlifted 160 kilo x 5, took a rest, and then got 180 x 2. Still a few pounds off 400 and then 4 plates!

Sushi604 03-07-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8177979)
Lol dude stop with your broscience. Ive been benching since hs with absolutely no shoulder problems. And there no such thing as "overstretching" your pec, you should alway touch your chest. False sense of strength? Notice how every serious strength athlete benches
Posted via RS Mobile

I don't think any of what I said was broscience in anyway. Not everyone is genetically gifted as you or possibly lucky as you to not have been dealt a serious blow such as a rotator cuff injury. Unfortunately I've been dealt that fate (due to car accident, not in the gym) but it doesn't stop me from using the benchpress from time to time. The difference here is when my right shoulder starts buckling when the bar gets closer and closer to my chest should I still keep going down til the bar touches my chest? No. Maybe there might be some broscience in regards to overstreching the chest, but there is no denying the fact that there was overstreching in my shoulders. Maybe my pre-existing injury is holding me back from reaching my max potential?

Don't get me wrong. You should always use a full range of motion when you perform any exercise but there are limits, at least physically speaking. It is not necessarily going as far as you can go; it’s as far as you can go in good form, with adequate strength and stability in the joints.

False sense of strength? So your saying that if your able to bench 405 effortlessly, you should be able to lift 2 200lbs dumbbells effortlessly too right? The bar stabilizes the weight across both arms. Hence the false sense of strength. Sure your chest is doing most of the work but your triceps is what gets that weight off your chest and as Alpha v2 said,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha v2 (Post 8177920)
you're forgetting that with DB you're going to have a hard time getting your dumbbels up if you're working anything like 5 reps and lower

By your logic, since I can bench 185 atm, I should have been able to dumbbell press at least 85lbs by now. I currently struggle with 75lbs WITH a shoulder injury.

I even corrected myself in that post stating that you should move back to the bench press once you master 100lbs dumbbells,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi604 (Post 8177904)
graduate from the bench press to dumbbells as soon as possible. Move back to the bench press when you need to lift heaver than 100+ lbs dumbbells.

What's so wrong with mastering overall upper body strength and then moving back to the benchpress for strength work?

Excelsis 03-07-2013 08:53 AM

in the bench press you can move up increments by 5 lbs, or even 2.5 lbs if you have smaller plates or if you make some yourself.. whereas dumbbells you move up 10 lbs at a time, and when you're training strength.. moving up 10 lbs especially with dumbbells isn't going to work out at 3-5 reps. they're great for bodybuilding but for powerlifting they would act as an accessory lift

ts14 03-07-2013 08:57 AM

i always stick with the bar, the only time i used dumbells was when i was recovering after a injury

otherwise i wouldnt use the dumbells.

especially for bench and if ur trying to be a powerlifter, u cant arch properly with dumbells and i cant seem to tuck my elbows in properly either.

i was close to destroying my rotator cuffs because i was guillotine pressing heavy like a idiot, but once i got the barbell bench form right the pain and chances of actually fucking up my rotators went away

all about dat form

Sushi604 03-07-2013 08:59 AM

I see your point. Most gyms dumbbells don't go up in 2.5lbs increments so that does cause a problem. I was at a sticking point with 65lbs dumbbells for a long time, but eventually I broke that barrier in the 2nd week of January.

The_Situation 03-07-2013 09:58 AM

I've had a rotator cuff injury in the past and it has been bothering me for years. Once I learned to bench properly though, it hasn't affected me since. It actually bothers my shoulder more when I dumbbell chest press. It might be because I can't stay as tight in my form using dumbbells as I can with a barbell.

L0uie69 03-07-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Situation (Post 8178685)
I've had a rotator cuff injury in the past and it has been bothering me for years. Once I learned to bench properly though, it hasn't affected me since. It actually bothers my shoulder more when I dumbbell chest press. It might be because I can't stay as tight in my form using dumbbells as I can with a barbell.

if you don't already use a neutral grip when doing DB press i find it hard on my shoulders when i flare my elbows out also from a rc injury

DaFonz 03-07-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fcukedd (Post 8178004)
Yeah my training has been primarily based on strength. Did you get injured? I remember seeing you deadlift 365+ and squat over 315.

Do you still train at the same place?

The gym has always been secondary to race training. When you're putting on 60-100km a week in volume, gains be hard. I'm happy keeping my numbers around there.

Yeap, still training there.

DaFonz 03-07-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8178512)
bench 330

deadlift 400

squat 240

these are not 1rm.

i just like to eat. I dont know why your picking on me because I'm cutting.

also I am bi-polar and it's something thats really hard to deal with. This chick explains it really well

Bipolar Bodybuilding - MichelleParish's BodyBlog at Bodybuilding.com

Oh I'm sorry, did you think I cared what you can lift?

You're "cutting" all the time. How sustainable has that been for you? Oh... wait.. it hasn't been because you're doing dumb crash diets.

I predict that you're going to crash down, get skinny, get depressed, get fat again and the cycle will continue.

Next time, try something a little more sustainable.

red_sir 03-07-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi604 (Post 8178625)
I don't think any of what I said was broscience in anyway. Not everyone is genetically gifted as you or possibly lucky as you to not have been dealt a serious blow such as a rotator cuff injury. Unfortunately I've been dealt that fate (due to car accident, not in the gym) but it doesn't stop me from using the benchpress from time to time. The difference here is when my right shoulder starts buckling when the bar gets closer and closer to my chest should I still keep going down til the bar touches my chest? No. Maybe there might be some broscience in regards to overstreching the chest, but there is no denying the fact that there was overstreching in my shoulders. Maybe my pre-existing injury is holding me back from reaching my max potential?

Don't get me wrong. You should always use a full range of motion when you perform any exercise but there are limits, at least physically speaking. It is not necessarily going as far as you can go; it’s as far as you can go in good form, with adequate strength and stability in the joints.

Sorry, but pretty much all of what you said is broscience. Talking about dumbbell pressing working your core and bench press over stretching your chest is broscience to the max.

If you don't have the mobility for a specific exercise like the bench press you can work on it instead of whining and making excuses and writing the exercise off completely. Many of us work on our mobility and do prehab exercises for bench pressing the same way we do for squats/deadlifts. Sure, maybe with your injury you'll never be able to bench press safely. So what? That doesn't make bench pressing a bad exercise for the rest of us that have no problems. Don't speak for everyone else.

Quote:

False sense of strength? So your saying that if your able to bench 405 effortlessly, you should be able to lift 2 200lbs dumbbells effortlessly too right? The bar stabilizes the weight across both arms. Hence the false sense of strength.
Maybe YOU were foolish enough to believe you could dumbbell press what you barbell press, but nobody else said/implied that.

Quote:

Sure your chest is doing most of the work but your triceps is what gets that weight off your chest and as Alpha v2 said,
It's a compound exercise, what do you expect? If you don't want to use triceps go do flies on the pec deck. Even your precious dumbbell bench will hit your triceps hard.

Quote:

By your logic, since I can bench 185 atm, I should have been able to dumbbell press at least 85lbs by now. I currently struggle with 75lbs WITH a shoulder injury.
That is not anyone's logic except your own. You're the one that came up with this 1:1 ratio for bench and dumbbells. 185 bench is still weak and will not get you dumbbell pressing 85's.

Quote:

I even corrected myself in that post stating that you should move back to the bench press once you master 100lbs dumbbells,
Lol! I guess Sid and I fucked up. Our dumbasses completely did things out of order. We almost always barbell bench, but we've already mastered the 100lb dumbbells. What do we do now? Is it too late for us to ever use dumbbells again? Seriously though, maybe you should try barbell bench if you want to master the 100lb dumbbells too. But fyi, you will have to bench more than 200lbs.

Quote:

What's so wrong with mastering overall upper body strength and then moving back to the benchpress for strength work?
You haven't mastered shit even if you can do 100lb dumbbells.

GFitTrain 03-07-2013 11:42 AM

The barbell is upper echelon and always will be when it comes to strength. Louie69 brought up a good point regarding neutral grip db presses. That grip does not require the shoulder to externally rotate as much compared to regular barbell or dumbbell pressing; therefore, great exercise for people who have rotator cuff issues.
Posted via RS Mobile

alwayslive 03-07-2013 12:24 PM

Just a quick question, who's actually a kinesiology student here? Seems like a lot of you are with all the jargen thrown around. (not hating at all, i'm a kin student too)

but seriously sushi, there is no point at all in arguing with any of these guys.
They are all extremely strong, and most of them can use the 100 DB's for reps and that wouldn't even be their max yet. The BB bench will give you the maximal strength that you need to progress in the DB bench. Being used to such maximal loads will make it a hell of a lot easier to progress with your DB's. It's like how doing rack pulls will help with the lock out portion of your deadlift. Getting used to that extremely heavy load from the rack pull will make it easier than just pure deadlifting

exdee 03-07-2013 12:28 PM

:rukidding:

instantneedles 03-07-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFitTrain (Post 8178751)
The barbell is upper echelon and always will be when it comes to strength. Louie69 brought up a good point regarding neutral grip db presses. That grip does not require the shoulder to externally rotate as much compared to regular barbell or dumbbell pressing; therefore, great exercise for people who have rotator cuff issues.
Posted via RS Mobile

I'm also a big fan of neutral grip dumbbell press as an alternative to close-grip bench press for those with really bad wrist pain and absolutely can't do them

lowside67 03-07-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_sir (Post 8178727)
That is not anyone's logic except your own. You're the one that came up with this 1:1 ratio for bench and dumbbells. 185 bench is still weak and will not get you dumbbell pressing 85's.

Is there a more generally accepted ratio of bench:dumbbell press? I can only do about 70% with dumbbells and am wondering if that is sort of in the ballpark of what most people see?

Mark

Sid Vicious 03-07-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8178800)
Is there a more generally accepted ratio of bench:dumbbell press? I can only do about 70% with dumbbells and am wondering if that is sort of in the ballpark of what most people see?

Mark

no they are generally different exercises, no real ratio. but if you can barbell bench big, you can probably dbell bench big...the inverse is not true usually

broken_arrow 03-07-2013 01:12 PM

I got a lacrosse ball and have been doing hamstring and adductor releases/massages....:megusta::sweetjesus:

Best investment! LOL! No back pain, improved squat depth. Even my knee feels better! Highly recommend to everyone!

PK6o4* 03-07-2013 01:37 PM

how much can u guys front squat compared to regular squat? dam is it ever hard on your core..

instantneedles 03-07-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Mark

Ratio as in how much time you should invest in either or? Or ratio as in what you strength levels should be for each?

If the latter, it's really subjective to each person and their situation.. When I was plateauing at 2 plate bench press, I went into heavy dumbbell pressing and went from 75lbs to 110lbs. Went back to barbell benching and still stayed at 2 plates. However, within 2 weeks I was able to bring it up to 255. So there was a period where my dumbbell bench was in fact higher than my barbell bench, but because there was such a strong transition, it didn't take long for my barbell bench to catch up and well exceed my dumbbell bench.

L0uie69 03-07-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broken_arrow (Post 8178816)
I got a lacrosse ball and have been doing hamstring and adductor releases/massages....:megusta::sweetjesus:

Best investment! LOL! No back pain, improved squat depth. Even my knee feels better! Highly recommend to everyone!

$5 well spent!
Posted via RS Mobile

red_sir 03-07-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Mark

Yep, like sid and instant said, no real ratio. But if I have to come up with a number based on what I've seen I'd say it's closer to 80-85% for most people. 70% isn't too far off, might just need a little more practice. To me, dumbbells are like riding a bike. A bit awkward at first, but once you get the hang of heavy dumbbells, you never forget it.

red_sir 03-07-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PK6o4* (Post 8178837)
how much can u guys front squat compared to regular squat? dam is it ever hard on your core..

Front squats are so damn hard. I can probably back squat 150lbs more than I front squat. If I had more practice, I think I can lower the gap to maybe 100lbs, but I jumped into front squats too fast. Instead easing into them I just threw in 3 sessions of heavy front squatting one week; ended up irritating my hip flexors a ton and I've had to stop.

J.C 03-07-2013 02:38 PM

i love you red_sir nohomo

is350 03-07-2013 02:42 PM

Speaking of bench press and shoulder issue, when I do both close grip and regular bench press, my right shoulder clicks. Anyone know how to fix this? My should also clicks when I'm doing lateral raises.

edit: @alwayslive, I am a Kin student.