REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #326
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
was this a recent rule? I remember back in 96-97 flying Canada 3000 from PEK to YVR, I was taken by one of the flight attendant to the cockpit, sat on one of the seats in the cockpit for about 15min, was given a model airplane and some other goodies. I was like 8 or 9 back then.
You may remember a little incident that made the news on Sept. 11, 2001...
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #327
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
lol i suppose that little incident changed pretty much everything about how we fly eh?
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #328
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #329
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Posted on my FB feed;

Quote:
There are some astonishing things you’re not being told about Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, the flight that simply vanished over the Gulf of Thailand with 239 people on board.

The mystery of the flight’s sudden and complete disappearance has even the world’s top air safety authorities baffled. “Air-safety and antiterror authorities on two continents appeared equally stumped about what direction the probe should take,” reports the Wall Street Journal.

WSJ goes on to report:

“For now, it seems simply inexplicable,” said Paul Hayes, director of safety and insurance at Ascend Worldwide, a British advisory and aviation data firm.

While investigators are baffled, the mainstream media isn’t telling you the whole story, either. So I’ve assembled this collection of facts that should raise serious questions in the minds of anyone following this situation.

• Fact #1: All Boeing 777 commercial jets are equipped with black box recorders that can survive any on-board explosion

No explosion from the plane itself can destroy the black box recorders. They are bomb-proof structures that hold digital recordings of cockpit conversations as well as detailed flight data and control surface data.

• Fact #2: All black box recorders transmit locator signals for at least 30 days after falling into the ocean

Yet the black box from this particular incident hasn’t been detected at all. That’s why investigators are having such trouble finding it. Normally, they only need to “home in” on the black box transmitter signal. But in this case, the absence of a signal means the black box itself — an object designed to survive powerful explosions — has either vanished, malfunctioned or been obliterated by some powerful force beyond the worst fears of aircraft design engineers.

• Fact #3: Many parts of destroyed aircraft are naturally bouyant and will float in water

In past cases of aircraft destroyed over the ocean or crashing into the ocean, debris has always been spotted floating on the surface of the water. That’s because — as you may recall from the safety briefing you’ve learned to ignore — “your seat cushion may be used as a flotation device.”

Yes, seat cushions float. So do many other non-metallic aircraft parts. If Flight 370 was brought down by an explosion of some sort, there would be massive debris floating on the ocean, and that debris would not be difficult to spot. The fact that it has not yet been spotted only adds to the mystery of how Flight 370 appears to have literally vanished from the face of the Earth.

• Fact #4: If a missile destroyed Flight 370, the missile would have left a radar signature

One theory currently circulating on the ‘net is that a missile brought down the airliner, somehow blasting the aircraft and all its contents to “smithereens” — which means very tiny pieces of matter that are undetectable as debris.

The problem with this theory is that there exists no known ground-to-air or air-to-air missile with such a capability. All known missiles generate tremendous debris when they explode on target. Both the missile and the debris produce very large radar signatures which would be easily visible to both military vessels and air traffic authorities.

• Fact #5: The location of the aircraft when it vanished is not a mystery

Air traffic controllers have full details of almost exactly where the aircraft was at the moment it vanished. They know the location, elevation and airspeed — three pieces of information which can readily be used to estimate the likely location of debris.

Remember: air safety investigators are not stupid people. They’ve seen mid-air explosions before, and they know how debris falls. There is already a substantial data set of airline explosions and crashes from which investigators can make well-educated guesses about where debris should be found. And yet, even armed with all this experience and information, they remain totally baffled on what happened to Flight 370.

• Fact #6: If Flight 370 was hijacked, it would not have vanished from radar

Hijacking an airplane does not cause it to simply vanish from radar. Even if transponders are disabled on the aircraft, ground radar can still readily track the location of the aircraft using so-called “passive” radar (classic ground-based radar systems that emit a signal and monitor its reflection).

Thus, the theory that the flight was hijacked makes no sense whatsoever. When planes are hijacked, they do not magically vanish from radar.
Conclusion: Flight 370 did not explode; it vanished

The inescapable conclusion from what we know so far is that Flight 370 seems to have utterly and inexplicably vanished. It clearly was not hijacked (unless there is a cover-up regarding the radar data), and we can all be increasingly confident by the hour that this was not a mid-air explosion (unless debris suddenly turns up that they’ve somehow missed all along).

The inescapable conclusion is that Flight 370 simply vanished in some way that we do not yet understand. This is what is currently giving rise to all sorts of bizarre-sounding theories across the ‘net, including discussions of possible secret military weapons tests, Bermuda Triangle-like ripples in the fabric of spacetime, and even conjecture that non-terrestrial (alien) technology may have teleported the plane away.

Personally, I’m not buying any of that without a lot more evidence. The most likely explanation so far is that the debris simply hasn’t been found yet because it fell over an area which is somehow outside the search zone. But as each day goes by, even this explanation becomes harder and harder to swallow.

The frightening part about all this is not that we will find the debris of Flight 370; but rather that we won’t. If we never find the debris, it means some entirely new, mysterious and powerful force is at work on our planet which can pluck airplanes out of the sky without leaving behind even a shred of evidence.

If there does exist a weapon with such capabilities, whoever control it already has the ability to dominate all of Earth’s nations with a fearsome military weapon of unimaginable power. That thought is a lot more scary than the idea of an aircraft suffering a fatal mechanical failure.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #330
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Letter that was received by Vietnamese officials about a poss... on Twitpic
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #331
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
Alien obduction obviously took the whole plane.
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #332
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

MH370 - what happened
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #333
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
This thread is an example of how religions come about....people that need justification resort to supernatural/conspiracy theories...just like old sheep herders from ye olde bible times. lol.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #334
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Maybe it was a raging depression-induced alcoholic air marshall ...

Sorry just saw this movie ... super creeped out with the coincidence...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #335
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Posted on my FB feed;
That is the stupidest article I've read on this subject yet. Whatever moron wrote that has very little idea of how anything works and they clearly haven't bothered listening to the actual reports, probably because they're busy being a conspiracy theorist nutjob. How the fuck can they claim an "inescapable conclusion" of things like it being sucked up by the universe or destroyed by futuristic alien weapons after only 4 fucking days.

It amazes me that people so dumb can figure out how to use a keyboard.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #336
nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
lol i suppose that little incident changed pretty much everything about how we fly eh?

And when the US dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, that was a LITTLE incident too...
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #337
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
so many holes in that explanation I'm not even going to bother entertaining it
Old 03-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #338
nah

Put your tinfoil hats on everyone...

The hijacking and shoot down theory makes a lot of sense right now...

1. The transponder was turned off
2. Communication was cut off but plane was still flying
3. Plane was hundreds of miles off course in the Strait of Malacca
4. Seems to be a cover up happening from the Malaysian government. The military would have told them right away that their radar picked up the plane in the Strait of Malacca instead of letting the world believe the plane crash by Vietnam.

Ever remember taking something as a kid and then feeling bad about it, then pretending to find it when people are looking for it? I feel that's the situation here with the Malaysian government, it took 3-4 days to release the fact that military radar picked it up by the Strait of Malacca.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #339
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
This thread is an example of how religions come about....people that need justification resort to supernatural/conspiracy theories...just like old sheep herders from ye olde bible times. lol.

Uhhh... there is plenty of evidence for the existence of ghosts. I am totally willing to fund a road trip to a haunted location and setup an investigation to scare the shit out of a few staunch skeptic Revsceners this summer.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #340
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post

The hijacking and shoot down theory makes a lot of sense right now...

I think we can all agree that the public is being kept in the dark about what really happened until all sources can agree on what information they will release
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:18 AM   #341
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post

4. Seems to be a cover up happening from the Malaysian government. The military would have told them right away that their radar picked up the plane in the Strait of Malacca instead of letting the world believe the plane crash by Vietnam.

I feel that's the situation here with the Malaysian government, it took 3-4 days to release the fact that military radar picked it up by the Strait of Malacca.
it was actually less than 24hrs before the news reported that they were also looking on the West Coast of Malaysia (in the strait) because radar suggested they may have turned around

that snippet was even posted in here a day after the thread started
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #342
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
I always dreamed they had a satellite system with uber-mega-giggle pixel cameras with a pair of them HD vision glasses over the lens to record anything anywhere all the time.
paranoid uptight egotistical privacy rights types would have their panties all in a knot.

they have something like that, i saw a video of... some drone that could circle the skies for prolonged periods of time recording everything in super HD. It was posted on RS a while ago, maybe under the skynet/robotics thread.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:25 AM   #343
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
it was actually less than 24hrs before the news reported that they were also looking on the West Coast of Malaysia (in the strait) because radar suggested they may have turned around

that snippet was even posted in here a day after the thread started
Exactly. It took them a while to release the info that they had picked it up with the military radar in the opposite direction, I'm guessing they didn't want to release that until it was confirmed. Of course that supports the theory that the plane wasn't communicating properly since presumably they would've known right away which plane they were picking up if the plane was functioning properly.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:26 AM   #344
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Maybe I need to post this again in bold and red for those that's having trouble following up with the factual events, or just failing to read.

Quote:
Allegedly released by RMAF 11 Mar:

OFFICIAL STATEMENT BY CHIEF OF ROYAL MALAYSIAN AIR FORCE ON
BERITA HARIAN NEWS ARTICLE DATED 11th MARCH 2014 ON SEARCH AND RESCUE OPERATIONS IN THE STRAITS OF MALACCA

1. I refer to the Berita Harian news article dated 11th March 2014 on Search and Rescue Operations in the Straits of Malacca which (in Bahasa Malaysia) referred to me as making the following statements:

Quote:
The RMAF Chief confirmed that RMAF Butterworth airbase detected the location signal of the airliner as indicating that it turned back from its original heading to the direction of Kota Bahru, Kelantan, and was believed to have pass through the airspace of the East Coast of and Northern Peninsular Malaysia.

The last time the plane was detected by the air control tower was in the vicinity of Pulau Perak in the Straits of Malacca at 2.40 in the morning before the signal disappeared without any trace, he said.
2. I wish to state that I did not make any such statements as above, what occurred was that the Berita Harian journalist asked me if such an incident occurred as detailed in their story, however I did not give any answer to the question, instead what I said to the journalist was “Please refer to the statement which I have already made on 9 March 2014, during the press conference with the Chief of Defence Force at the Sama-Sama Hotel, Kuala Lumpur International Airport”.

3. What I stated during that press conference was,

The RMAF has not ruled out the possibility of an air turn back on a reciprocal heading before the aircraft vanished from the radar and this resulted in the Search and Rescue Operations being widen to the vicinity of the waters of Pulau Pinang.

Quote:
9 Mar: "What we have done is actually look into the recording on the radar that we have and we realized there is a possibility the aircraft did make a turnback," Rodzali Daud, the Royal Malaysian Air Force chief, told reporters at a news conference.
The flight carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew was presumed to have crashed off the Vietnamese coast on Saturday, after losing contact with air traffic controllers off the eastern Malaysia coast. -Courant
4. I request this misreporting be amended and corrected to prevent further misinterpretations of what is clearly an inaccurate and incorrect report.

5. Currently the RMAF is examining and analyzing all possibilities as regards to the airliner’s flight paths subsequent to its disappearance. However for the time being, it would not be appropriate for the RMAF to issue any official conclusions as to the aircraft’s flight path until a high amount of certainty and verification is achieved. However all ongoing search operations are at the moment being conducted to cover all possible areas where the aircraft could have gone down in order to ensure no possibility is overlooked.

6. In addition, I would like to state to the media that all information and developments will be released via official statements and press conferences as soon as possible and when appropriate. Our current efforts are focused upon on finding the aircraft as soon as possible.

Thank You

GENERAL TAN SRI DATO’SRI RODZALI BIN DAUD RMAF
Chief of Royal Malaysian Air Force

Released On:

11 March 14
Kuala Lumpur
TL;DR: The military NEVER said they spotted the plane over by the Strait of Malacca
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-12-2014, 12:26 AM   #345
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Uhhh... there is plenty of evidence for the existence of ghosts. I am totally willing to fund a road trip to a haunted location and setup an investigation to scare the shit out of a few staunch skeptic Revsceners this summer.
y34h 0k4y br0
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:36 AM   #346
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Supposedly villagers heard an explosion

Villagers heard explosion, fishermen net life raft | Free Malaysia Today

Also fishermen found a life raft with the words "boarding" upon trying to retrieve it, the MMA lost the raft and it sank.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:24 AM   #347
nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Maybe I need to post this again in bold and red for those that's having trouble following up with the factual events, or just failing to read.

TL;DR: The military NEVER said they spotted the plane over by the Strait of Malacca
Ever heard of this term "backpeddling" before?

Of course he's going to deny saying that as the countries that have helped are now pissed off at them for not divulging the information earlier.

China, Vietnam fume over slow reverts, wrong readings | FMT Borneo Plus
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2014, 02:31 AM   #348
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I'm sure China and Vietnam militaries get their information direct from Malaysia military, not from news articles. Who knows how their conversations really went down
Brad Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:23 AM   #349
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Wonder if the plane was a "ghost plane" were everyone on board was dead and basically crashed when the fuel ran out.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #350
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

2 of my friends have had their kids in the pilots seat during flight within the last year. These were Canadian domestic flights, but it still happens

I commented on one of the pics of a 3 year old on fb "terrorist" and got a huge PM from the parents and got unfriended lol
Posted via RS Mobile
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: