REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

twitchyzero 03-09-2020 08:02 PM

anyone hear of restaurants/attractions putting on specials, do share

bcedhk 03-09-2020 08:06 PM

a lot of chinese seafood restaurants are having sales.

HonestTea 03-09-2020 08:07 PM

How are king crab prices for March? March is usually king crab season.

welfare 03-09-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8977128)
I'll never understand why our government is being REACTIVE compared to PROACTIVE. The evidence of community spread is already there and I'm confident that with our lax quarantine policy that there will be many more. Yet our government doesn't think this way. :fulloffuck:

My uncle lives in Bari. Not even northern Italy where the majority of cases have been found.
His business is likely to go under and he'll be bankrupt. I imagine most businesses in Italy are in the same boat. Especially now with this nationwide quarantine.

So there is that. It may be short sighted, but you must understand the reluctance.

GS8 03-09-2020 08:30 PM

So much bad news. Time to cheer up!

trd2343 03-09-2020 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8977120)
Italy under total lockdown now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51810673

I wonder if the "Healthcare professionals (who) look at hard facts and statistics" will start to consider that this is... well a factual thing that is actually happening? :considered:

But no, if you're under 80, you are totally safe. "more likely to die from a car accident than to die from COVID-19" so just don't worry about it. Hey look at that guy wearing a face mask, what a total dork! lol

Seriously, if you were referring to twdm, you really need to start improving on your reading comprehension, stop consistently putting words in people's mouth, and actually have an open mind and try to understand what people are saying.

NO WHERE, like absolutely NO WHERE, did he say to take the virus lightly, or not to worry. If I understand him correctly, he's offering what he thinks makes the situation WORSE, he's not telling people to go around and spread the virus.

Extra precautions? What extra precautions should you be taking? We are all suppose to be washing our hands REGARDLESS of the flu, covering our mouths when we cough, avoid crowds (especially during flu season), stay at home if you are sick. These aren't EXTRA precautions, these are STANDARD precautions, during flu season, or even at all times, to make sure we don't spread any crazy disease.

But do we see majority of people doing that on a regular basis? NO. Because nothing is going on, no one is dying. But all of a sudden coronavirus comes, and people all of a sudden start washing their hands etc, that's LITERALLY panic. YES, you should be practicing these precautions IMMEDIATELY, but you should've been practicing it ALL ALONG, not "O shit, this look serious, better wash my hands now or else I'll die"

You're absolutely correct, we should take this seriously, BUT we should've been taking any proper hygiene seriously at all times. IF anyone of us (myself for sure) have learnt anything from SARS, we won't even be having a conversation whether it's necessary to wash your hands, avoid crowds, stay at home if you are sick etc.

Also, few pages in and you’re already calling it possibly as bad as Spanish flu? Then you started throwing these R0 numbers around. Good for you if you have the brains to understand what it means. But I’m not going to pretend I do, just by reading a couple of articles online or Wikipedia, unless I have some sort of medical education background to understand what it means and it’s limitations. I’m not going to start throwing these numbers out just to convince people to take this virus seriously.

RRxtar 03-09-2020 08:56 PM

What exactly is Italy's lockdown? Are all businesses closed and everyone has to stay home?

T4RAWR 03-09-2020 09:11 PM

On a side note.

Everyone should have an emergency kit at home for 72 hours.

Earth quake, zombies, tsunami, viral pandemic, etc....

Better to have it and not need it than need it and it have it

:badpokerface:

StylinRed 03-09-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8977139)
What exactly is Italy's lockdown? Are all businesses closed and everyone has to stay home?

Yes, clubs restaurants cinemas operas sporting events (soccer games) etc etc closed
ppl can't travel within the country unless its an emergency/they have a permit etc
Transit is still running, but use is restricted to those with permits, don't know where ppl are supposed to get permits tho

StylinRed 03-09-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

I'll never understand why our government is being REACTIVE compared to PROACTIVE. The evidence of community spread is already there and I'm confident that with our lax quarantine policy that there will be many more. Yet our government doesn't think this way. :fulloffuck:

They should take a cue from taiwan with how theyre very proactive in disinfecting... everything, monitoring ppl, and down to informing citizens on where stock can be found for masks/sanitizers

What's insane is that Taiwan isn't allowed to be a WHO member, not even an observer status

danned 03-09-2020 09:41 PM

yes more special from restaurant
time to eat covid-19 away:troll::troll::troll:

ilovebacon 03-09-2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8977141)
On a side note.

Everyone should have an emergency kit at home for 72 hours.

Earth quake, zombies, tsunami, viral pandemic, etc....

Better to have it and not need it than need it and it have it

:badpokerface:

I keep telling myself to get one. Still, don't have any.

nah 03-09-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8977144)
They should take a cue from taiwan with how theyre very proactive in disinfecting... everything, monitoring ppl, and down to informing citizens on where stock can be found for masks/sanitizers

What's insane is that Taiwan isn't allowed to be a WHO member, not even an observer status

Speaks to the volume of how China influences WHO.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/asia/...hnk/index.html

6793026 03-09-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8977142)
Yes, clubs restaurants cinemas operas sporting events (soccer games) etc etc closed
ppl can't travel within the country unless its an emergency/they have a permit etc
Transit is still running, but use is restricted to those with permits, don't know where ppl are supposed to get permits tho

Nothern italy only. Colnago biccle shop is closed until futher notice.
There are some countries trying to ask for "certificate of good health" before you can travel... but no one actually knows where you can obtain the certifiicate as private health care can't even get the test kits.

lilaznviper 03-09-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestTea (Post 8977131)
How are king crab prices for March? March is usually king crab season.

last i check was ssw vancouver $30/lb

ilovebacon 03-10-2020 01:21 AM

This is great news.

SkinnyPupp 03-10-2020 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd2343 (Post 8977138)
Extra precautions? What extra precautions should you be taking?

Not going to get into the nastiness of most of your post, but this is the key here. What precautions can we take personally? Well like you said, it's pretty clear what that is.

However, as many people are pointing out, the government is not taking a proactive stance to prepare for this. Because despite what people want to believe, a lot of people ARE going to get this, no matter how many precautions you are I take. We saw someone earlier in this thread talk about how he's not going to change his life whatsoever. Those ignorant reckless people are why this can spread faster than you would ever believe.

So knowing that there are people like that around, even in this tiny community, the govt has to get ready for a huge huge shitstorm. You will wash your hands and maybe wear a mask, as will probably most people in here. But not everyone. And that is what keeps that "R0" number high. The death rate, despite what some people want to believe, is very high for such a rapidly spreading disease. No it's not 100% fatal, and won't kill young healthy people. But it's bad enough to be worried about. Unless you're literally a psychopath who thinks it doesn't matter if a bunch of old/sick people die.

So what are your constituents doing about it? Are they preparing quarantine facilities? Arranging for the huge overwhelming overcrowding that may happen? Are they willing to block travelers from highly infected regions? Are they canceling large gatherings like concerts and sports events? Are they blocking cruises? (honestly I don't know the answer to any of this, I don't pay a ton of attention to local Vancouver news).

HK and Singapore showed that even in densely populated areas with thousands of direct travelers from infected zones, that they can keep things relatively in check. Yes, it took thousands of people putting their asses on the line to do so, but they were able to do it. These countries have been there before with SARS, and while the HK govt didn't handle it well at first, because they are utterly incompetent to the point of maliciousness, the citizens forced them into it. Singapore was more prepared, and are handling it as well.

We all know the extra precautions the people should be taking, but what are we doing if that's not enough to keep hospitals from being completely overwhelmed?

I did give that pharmacist guy a hard time, but his post was unwarranted, talking about all these "facts" that were actually completely illegitimate and potentially dangerous. No he didn't say to not wash your hands, not sure why you'd think anyone accused him of that. My only intention of that admittedly snarky post was that I really hope he actually IS starting to follow and understand actual facts, and separating them from his opinions that mean no more or less than mine. I try to make it pretty clear when I'm talking about facts or my own opinions. And when someone says I am not speaking factually, I don't double down on it, I try to clear things up.

Badhobz 03-10-2020 05:11 AM

Uhhhh how the fuck am I gonna get parts ?! Vespa needs service. Needed recall on fuel pump, but they don’t stock it here and need to get it from Italy. Their supplier in Italy isn’t even working nor apparently is the piaggio factory. Not a clue as to when I’ll be able to get this recall performed.

I can’t imagine how it’s going to be with my other Italian toy this year.

Plz don’t break down plz don’t break down plz don’t break down.

Mr.HappySilp 03-10-2020 07:15 AM

Quote:

Being proactive means they might hurt "certain race" feelings. Remember this gov feels other feelings is more important anything else. Or maybe people get work up too easily.

Hondaracer 03-10-2020 08:02 AM

If you wanted to follow any countries take why wouldn’t you copy Russia

The larger country with direct ties to Iran etc. And they’ve hovered around 20 cases for weeks now.

68style 03-10-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8977174)
If you wanted to follow any countries take why wouldn’t you copy Russia

The larger country with direct ties to Iran etc. And they’ve hovered around 20 cases for weeks now.

I highly doubt mother Russia is being honest about anything they report through their state controlled media....

unit 03-10-2020 08:22 AM

same as iran, my friend said that there are thousands of deaths in iran and the gov has only reported a few hundred.

Hondaracer 03-10-2020 08:28 AM

Well yea, of course that was going to be the assumption.

So really who do you trust? Can’t trust China can’t trust Russia, can’t trust Iran

We’re getting posts from TV doctors and people who’s business is causing panic but we can’t believe the BC Center for disease control when they say the risk of infection is minimal?

:/

6793026 03-10-2020 08:44 AM

Too me a while to find what the USA's numbers.
I'm refraining judgment, just wanted to see how it ranks against rest of the world.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/pG...jQQ-650-80.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8977165)
Uhhhh how the fuck am I gonna get parts ?! Vespa needs service. Needed recall on fuel pump, but they don’t stock it here and need to get it from Italy. Their supplier in Italy isn’t even working nor apparently is the piaggio factory. Not a clue as to when I’ll be able to get this recall performed.

Car dealerships had a hard time last few weeks, high end cars like jag + Land Rover were having painful times (esp. during chinese new years + stop production). They had to pull parks from existing cars sitting on the lot / unsold to take out to send out to countries to fix. Again, I can't see it being THAT extreme, but I'm not surprised.

Quote:

Honestly think it's to calm and control the public. Falk, if people are going apeshit on toilet paper with ZERO rationale at costco, I can't imagine if any governement issuing a press release on an actual health scare.
Look at Trump + Canada + HK and even China... none of them came out saying "hey, we have to brace ourselves for ________, there will be a influx of _________, please be aware of ________ by doing a, b and c"

We can't even get the Vancouverites to "prepare" for 5 inches of snow during "snowstorm" and state of emergency of whatever typhoon / toronado in midwest USA.... (remember it took FEMA 3-5 days for fresh water back then) I I doubt any government can be proactive to deal with this COVID-19.

whitev70r 03-10-2020 09:28 AM

I know some of you will think that Canadian government is blowing smoke and are too soft but fwiw:

Canada's first COVID-19 death is not cause for panic — but shows need to protect most vulnerable
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coron...eath-1.5491907

"More than 80 per cent of COVID-19 infections are estimated to be mild,meaning symptoms are manageable and not life-threatening, compared with 15 per cent that are severe and five per cent that are critical and require ventilation.

"The majority of people who get this infection have mild disease and recover," said Dr. Jocelyn Srigley, a physician and clinical assistant professor with the department of pathology and lab medicine at the University of British Columbia.

In patients aged 70 to 79, that fatality rate increases to eight per cent, and for those above 80 years old, it rises to almost 15 per cent. "It's not unexpected that we would see patients in those age groups dying of this disease and it's similar with many other infections that with age your chance of dying from it goes up."

Canadians need to understand that the vast majority of us are going to manage well if infected with the illness, with most not even requiring hospitalization, says infectious disease physician Dr. Isaac Bogoch at Toronto General Hospital.

"We know this COVID-19 infection can disproportionately make individuals who are elderly and individuals with chronic medical conditions more sick, but we also know that almost any infection or condition can make that population more ill as well," he said.