REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:56 PM   #101
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
As much as I like Nike, good. Shoe companies have been scamming and ripping off people for years. how does a mass-produced consumer good 10x in price in less than 5 minutes after release.
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #102
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Guy lies on tv on why he got beat up.

https://youtu.be/iogC71pX_YQ
He said he was beat first, then he got out of his car with a weapon (where the clip begins) then he got beat up again

So that checks out, luckily he didn't get killed
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #103
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The first thing you have to do is think, why are the police willing to insert fake protesters to start looting and rioting, provoking other protesters?

If they do that, that means the looting and vandalism works in their favour.

And we're seeing a small part of why here. People are so distracted by the looting, it's all they see. They obviously don't support the cause, because if they did, they wouldn't be talking so much about the looting.

Looting and vandalism is just one shitty part of the whole thing. We saw the same thing in Hong Kong. Some people are going to take it to that extreme. The cops will start doing it too, because they want people to pay attention to that, because it will take a certain percentage of the population away from the cause and into theirs.

Don't be like those people. Support the cause, hope for successful protests, because if not the rioting will continue.

There is so much worse that the other side is doing, and has been doing for decades. They have looted and robbed people for hundreds of years. Bankers, "investors" politicians, cops... They all do it too, it's just not out in the open with broken glass and shoe boxes in front of your face to distract you.
Are these really rioters and people inserted by the police or just anarchists who see opportunities to stoke these kinds of situations into the escalated results we are seeing?

I find it hard to believe there is a level of sophistication within individual police forces to place essentially actors within these demonstrations to distract the general public from the real matter at hand.

This is no different than the 2010 olympics right here, not many people may remember but during the opening ceremonies there were small little outbursts of protests and rioting which were quickly squashed by police. All perpetrated by people from outside of BC/Canada and who turned out to be professional anarchists looking to turn the slightest bit of discource into a full blown riot. It didn’t work out and luckily the VPD had the ability to shut it down as quickly as it started.

Again this happened with this gross wetsuweten protests in Vancouver with the lead “protestors” having literally no other reason to protest other than to get their name on camera and make a case to become some obscure professor as some liberal arts school down the road.

If we put such little trust in the hiring process and the personalities recruited into the United States police forces im kinda doubting you can effectively trust them to become these “crisis actors” in times like these.

Also HK and the states, while on similar basis are very, very different protests. The initial looting and burning of businesses was obviously perpetrated by the blacks within that state and the main groups involved were also the African Americans. It’s pretty clear from virtually all the video. Was there any looting in Hk? Anything like these initial violent outbursts?

Let’s be real, most people in Hk seemed to just want to protest the rights being violated and most seemed like regular, contributing members of society who had finally had enough and felt strong enough about these issues to come together and do somthing about it. In the state’s we see the literal bottom of the barrel types engaging in these riots and protests for the most part (at least the initial situations)
Old 05-31-2020, 05:57 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
He said he was beat first, then he got out of his car with a weapon (where the clip begins) then he got beat up again
So that checks out, luckily he didn't get killed
He was not beat first. The first thing he says in the video is "you want to keep hitting my car" 16 seconds into the video you see someone on the left bottom fall to the ground. looks like he was shot with an arrow. Then you see a large group of people of all colors including white beat him up. he only mentions 2 black guys to the reporter. What did he think was going to happen when he started firing arrows at people. FYI he is also a felon. Luckily he is not allowed to own a gun or it could have been a lot worse.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:15 PM   #105
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Are these really rioters and people inserted by the police or just anarchists who see opportunities to stoke these kinds of situations into the escalated results we are seeing?
Both

But the point is, the police (or more accurately, the system they are defending) wants riots and looting. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

The anarchists want it too...

So whose side are you on? If you talk about nothing but the looting and riots, you're not on the side of BLM. You're either on the side of anarchists or fascism, or at least being turned into their supporters.

Quote:
Also HK and the states, while on similar basis are very, very different protests. The initial looting and burning of businesses was obviously perpetrated by the blacks within that state and the main groups involved were also the African Americans. It’s pretty clear from virtually all the video. Was there any looting in Hk? Anything like these initial violent outbursts?
I see some similarities and some differences. The way the police are acting is often very similar. Shooting at press, shooting at peaceful protesters for no reason, pushing around old people who can't keep up, etc.

The protesters are on different but similar sides... In HK they are fighting a clearly defined fascist state, who have existed only for about 50 years (and in the case of Hong Kong, we've only been affected by them for about 20). It's a fresh new but very powerful force. And as we see, there is practically no way of winning. Which is why the chants are changing from "5 demands" to "revolution" to "we burn you burn with us" and China has obliged to letting HK burn as we saw last week with the burning of the constitution.

US on the other hand is fighting centuries of a less definitive but nonetheless present issue that has existed among humanity for our entire history. Racism, which is what much of the world's society was based on hundreds of years ago. US has it built into the country, and despite getting rid of slavery, and segregation, the lingering effects are still there. They aren't fighting against a clearly defined enemy, which is why you see some cops JOINING the protests while others are happy to get in on the violence. It's a much harder thing to fight, but I think in the end is actually much more "winnable". We've come a long way from slavery of course, but every once in a while a large correction needs to be made. This is the latest one. It might have gone smoother with a real president. Hell it might not even happening at all if Bernie was here.

The one MAJOR difference is that Americans are still able to go out and protest peacefully if they want. That has pretty much been quashed in Hong Kong. Every time a gathering gets together, the cops show up to quickly and violently shut it down. They can't have peaceful singing rallies at malls anymore, and the coronavirus lockdown has been extended just long enough to make public gathering illegal for the Tiananmen Square anniversary vigil.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:35 PM   #106

I’m on the side of Rascism is a terrible scourge and until there is a time where the term “black people” or “my black brothers” isn’t a thing there will always be racism. As MG said Last page, this ain’t going away

I’m also against a societal system that creates incredible poverty, drug addiction and as a by product, these “hood rats” using hatches to bust open self serve tellers at inner city Targets.

This problem is so much deeper than whose side are you on. Frankly if I had to be completely honest I’m on the side of I don’t really give a fuck and the best thing I can do is to live my life in a way where I’m a general good person to everyone I come in contact with and don’t promote ideas of hatred or division, etc.

As I’ve said in other threads however, even our liberal govt. essentially sows “racist” ideas in their governing in matters such as the firearms ban etc. With the exclusion of Native people in these hugely sweeping legislation they enact with little to no consultation.

Most people I know are in a similar position to myself as you’re comfortably employed, you live a safe, happy, life. Even if you were to be slightly involved in some sort of demonstration etc. It could have a SEVERE negative effect on your personal well-being. So at the end of the day why would I stick my neck out for anything.

The way I look at it goes back to that firearms ban thread. Responsible, law-abiding gun owners who are against the ban have continually laid out why is this legislation is not only bad for gun owners but it’s essentially unconstitutional in its enactment which should be a HUGE red flag for everyone. But anyone who isn’t directly effected by it just comes back with”BuT WHy Do YoU NEed A AssAULt RiFLe?!?!”

Well if you’re not willing to look a little deeper into the issues that effect me, frankly I don’t care about the ones that effect you.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-31-2020, 06:52 PM   #107
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
He was not beat first. The first thing he says in the video is "you want to keep hitting my car" 16 seconds into the video you see someone on the left bottom fall to the ground. looks like he was shot with an arrow. Then you see a large group of people of all colors including white beat him up. he only mentions 2 black guys to the reporter. What did he think was going to happen when he started firing arrows at people. FYI he is also a felon. Luckily he is not allowed to own a gun or it could have been a lot worse.
There's earlier video of him brandishing a big knife, too:

Old 05-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #108
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,181 Posts
All these people have no shame.

It got nothing to do with racism. These people are just looking for an excuse.

If today the roles were reversed, the cop was black and the victim was white, would there still be a protest? If there wasn't, THAT'S FUCKING RACISM too.

Why if someone was white and suddenly their life is meaningless?

Fucking hell... these people probably care less about racism in their entire life than my Asian dick ever did in a second.

If I was the AG, I'd come out and say that anyone caught looting and creating chaos would be charged with the MAXIMUM penalty the law permits regardless of their record and role with ABSOLUTELY ZERO leniency given. Peaceful protest for a cause is perfectly OK... looting and chaos is NOT.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #109

JJ Cool J

Old 05-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #110

Old 05-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

If today the roles were reversed, the cop was black and the victim was white, would there still be a protest? If there wasn't, THAT'S FUCKING RACISM too.

Fucking hell... these people probably care less about racism in their entire life than my Asian dick ever did in a second.

If I was the AG, I'd come out and say that anyone caught looting and creating chaos would be charged with the MAXIMUM penalty the law permits regardless of their record and role with ABSOLUTELY ZERO leniency given. Peaceful protest for a cause is perfectly OK... looting and chaos is NOT.
Is this an O.K way to protest?

Old 05-31-2020, 08:49 PM   #112
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:

If there was a multi-century history of white people being killed by black law enforcement in the US and a multi-decade history of it being caught on video for the world to see on a regular basis, then I could see your point.

And, of course, this is exacerbated by the systemic racism that has permeated through many parts of the US for most of its history.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:52 PM   #113

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:25 PM   #114
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
So thankful I live in Canada.

I have friends and relatives who live and work down south. It's tough when you work hard and all of it just gets blown up. Looting, violence, business getting torched, etc. I will take high cost of living and lower wages any day. Knowing my family is pretty safe.
June 2011
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-31-2020, 09:30 PM   #115

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
June 2011
0 deaths, 4 significant injuries, $5M CAD in property damage is a drop in the bucket compared to what’s happening in the US.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:32 PM   #116
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
June 2011
this is happening nationwide for days instead of a 2KM radius in one city...the damage alone in Seattle last night already met or exceeded what happened here on June 2011
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:58 PM   #117

Quote:
June 2011
Rioted for what, 4 hours over a hockey game? Srs business
Old 05-31-2020, 10:01 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
So what, people have to feel guilt for somthing they’ve never had a hand in?

I understand the sentiment but this is the same BS like when an immigrant from Eastern Europe comes and makes somthing of themselves in Canada and then gets accused being a cog in the colonization of Canada. Like where does this shit end
Old 05-31-2020, 10:03 PM   #119

they didnt have to roll out tanks but dont forget downtown was sealed, hospital flooded, emergency vehicles on fire...5 mill property damage within hours is not something you can shrug off over a sport; not to mention the intensive work/tax dollars to lay 900 charges

let's not forget this flare up is to fight racism, we're seeing more anti-asian unprovoked incidents here (thankfully not from the authorities but still something to take seriously)
Old 05-31-2020, 10:29 PM   #120
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Saw footage of ppl standing at their front door watching the police procession go thru their neighbourhood. Police yelled for them to go inside their homes, and then immediately said "light em up!" and started firing at these girls just standing in their doorway... wtf

Ah here we go

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-01-2020 at 10:32 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2020, 10:50 PM   #121

Quote:
So what, people have to feel guilt for somthing they’ve never had a hand in?

I understand the sentiment but this is the same BS like when an immigrant from Eastern Europe comes and makes somthing of themselves in Canada and then gets accused being a cog in the colonization of Canada. Like where does this shit end
Who used the word guilt?

If you read that post and this is what you come back with... I guess we either need to find better people to explain things to you, or what? It's so frustrating because it's so easy to understand for me, but from some others I see defensiveness and "where does this shit end"

Where does it end? It COULD end with you and your kids if you have any. If not, your cousins, nieces, nephews, neighbours, friends on facebook and here. But instead it seems like you're trying to absolve yourself from even acknowledging anything; either by really not understanding it, or being intentionally obtuse.

I wouldn't feel guilty for being white. I would feel guilty for not doing anything to allow the system changing for the better. I'd feel guilty for using that system to my advantage, knowing it puts other people below me. I'd feel guilty for saying "where does this shit end" the inference being "this shit" an attack on white people.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-31-2020, 10:54 PM   #122
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
If there was a multi-century history of white people being killed by black law enforcement in the US and a multi-decade history of it being caught on video for the world to see on a regular basis, then I could see your point.

And, of course, this is exacerbated by the systemic racism that has permeated through many parts of the US for most of its history.
I am not against the movement of eradicating racism or #blacklivesmatter. Those are all valid concerns that if resolved, it would simply push our society to the next level. And they ARE issues that we have to resolve as a society.

What I'm against is the use of violence and social unrest as a way to make a statement. WTF do all those stores have anything to do with? WTF do all the people whose live (work and whatever schedule have you) that are being affected by this? WTF do all the people that have to bear the traumatic experience have to do with any of these?

Are they racists? Maybe some among them, but ultimately this violence affect so many more people than what it really is. And wtf are these people seeking? That we simply put the police guy on death bench and call it a day?

You want to have your voice/concern heard, make the requests, protest and be ready to have a dialogue. Instead what the bloody fuck do we have? A bunch a people who disregard law and orders and call this freedom?

Violence is ALWAYS the last resort. When one has exhausted all other logical options. Explain to me what option have the protestors used so far? Because I haven't seen anything before they started looting.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:02 PM   #123

Quote:
I am not against the movement of eradicating racism or #blacklivesmatter. Those are all valid concerns that if resolved, it would simply push our society to the next level. And they ARE issues that we have to resolve as a society.

What I'm against is the use of violence and social unrest as a way to make a statement. WTF do all those stores have anything to do with? WTF do all the people whose live (work and whatever schedule have you) that are being affected by this? WTF do all the people that have to bear the traumatic experience have to do with any of these?

Are they racists? Maybe some among them, but ultimately this violence affect so many more people than what it really is. And wtf are these people seeking? That we simply put the police guy on death bench and call it a day?

You want to have your voice/concern heard, make the requests, protest and be ready to have a dialogue. Instead what the bloody fuck do we have? A bunch a people who disregard law and orders and call this freedom?

Violence is ALWAYS the last resort. When one has exhausted all other logical options. Explain to me what option have the protestors used so far? Because I haven't seen anything before they started looting.
Read my post earlier up on the page. Don't get distracted by the violence. That's what they want - it puts you on the side of the people who want the protests to stop.

They were easily able to stop all the peaceful protests, as manic inferred with the Kaepernick post.

For every 10 violent rioter and protester, there are 100 or 1000 peaceful ones. Yet they are getting treated just as badly by many of the enforcement. Support these ones, give them your attention. Not the looters (who often are in a desperate situation BECAUSE of this system, but that's a separate discussion)
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2020, 11:03 PM   #124

i liked the first analogy so it started off well
then it compared it to a communicable disease 'whether you know/like it'
um, guilt trip written all over that
Old 05-31-2020, 11:19 PM   #125

Quote:

Every other option has been exhausted. They even had a black president that made some police reforms but the next guy just reversed them.