REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #326
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Plus one of the cops immediately goes to check on him and gets pulled away by another cop.
I noticed that too and it really shows how even the people who might care immediately listen to the next guy and forget all about it. That's the mentality they need to break, I get that you're supposed to look out for one another but that really should be about saving each other's lives, not trying to avoid getting in shit for something dumb you did.
Advertisement
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2020, 08:30 PM   #327
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
^They should make a flavor for George Floyd, call it "BLM" or something, make it heavily chocolate in flavor, I'll buy 20 pints
Time to go shopping, RS group buy time?

1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:24 PM   #328
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts

Justin, is that you?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:11 PM   #329
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Technically that falls under freedom of speech and he shouldn’t be arrested. Though his ass should get a harsh reality check in the form of a beat down for being so obtusely insensitive on purpose
Old 06-06-2020, 10:17 PM   #330

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
I'm not sure if you guys think this stuff should be in this thread or maybe in its own thread but as someone trying to get caught up on a whole pile of stuff I've been oblivious to in very little free time I appreciate when people mention specific things to watch/read. Hopefully someone else finds this helpful as well.

In the press conference someone posted a few pages back Killer Mike mentioned looking up the Cornerstone Speech. This was by Confederate Vice President Alexander H. Stephens, a few weeks before the Civil War began. There's a wikipedia article that covers it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornerstone_Speech

Or you can read the whole thing here: https://www.owleyes.org/text/the-cor...ephenss-speech

As I understand it this is the defining part of the speech:

Quote:
Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery — subordination to the superior race — is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
I didn't have a high opinion of anyone who displays the confederate flag to begin with, but this made it even more clear to me how horrible that is.

It was also recommended I watch the Brown Eyes/Blue Eyes racism exercise by Jane Elliott. It's a very interesting eye opener (pun intended) that everyone should see. There's a few videos of it out there, I don't know if this is the best one but it fit into the time I had.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined I'd spend a Saturday night watching an old episode of Oprah but at this point in 2020 nothing surprises me anymore.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2020, 11:27 PM   #331

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I hope more people post their support here. I know there are people lurking, you can see them right there in the "viewing this thread" list, and posting in other unrelated threads. There are hundreds of old members who never even log in anymore.

Why is it important to pitch in with a post?

The "couple of pricks" need to know they're on the wrong side, and how wrong they are. I mean I suspect there's some trolling going on too, but they need to know that "for the lulz" is not a good reason to be a dick either.

I'm not saying everyone needs to respond to them directly - quite the opposite actually. But posting more info showing why they are so wrong is important. Like posting the latest news, sharing positive changes being made. Or posting more evidence of systemic racism that people aren't even aware of (by, up until now, no fault of their own).

The very fact that Canadians can feel like they can say "this is too stressful, I'd rather not pay attention to it" is a massive privilege in itself. And BTW Canada isn't much better. Not many countries are, when it comes to this stuff.
You know why people aren't posting to "support" the cause? It's the same thing going on right now in the US as well.

In the later part of this thread, this has become what's going on in the US, and you can see it in the news and on social media too.

Whoever coming out with a DIFFERENT... not wrong, just DIFFERENT opinion about BLM, they pretty much get shamed to oblivion like they are the worst racist and they should be punished.

The mayor of the city of Fremont, CA got so much shit for not willing to kneel. Does that make her racist?!? Korean-American model called out YellowLivesMatter and they trashed her Twitter calling her racist and thinking only for herself... blah blah blah.

Here in this very thread, some of you taking the same stance being called "taking the right side". Who the fuck gets to decide what's RIGHT?

This is what so fucked up about social justice. We, as God gave us, are entitled to THINK differently. Just because someone thinks differently than you, and even the majority, doesn't mean this person is wrong. As a matter of fact, there were many many cases in history that these few who think DIFFERENTLY went on to define the humanity as a whole.

Take this George Floyd case... people can be totally racial neutral, but SIMPLY DIFFERENT opinion about what's going on based on their own believes and information that were presented to them. That "DIFFERENT" does not make them racists.

We can agree to disagree. But PLEASE BE PERFECTLY CLEAR, there is no right or wrong just BECAUSE WE DISAGREE. If we confine ourselves to be able to have ONLY ONE VOICE. We just became the fucking fascist.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-07-2020, 01:01 AM   #332
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
^
Part of your privilege is that you get to sit there and decide what you believe in or whether you support the system? Cuz the system works for you and you're not afraid of the system.

You just proved the point everyone is trying to make to you

Your entire problem is that you can't accept that, right now, you need to take a step back and not be equally important as another culture or ethnicity while they fight for better treatment within the system you already enjoy. Nobody is saying your life doesn't matter or that yellow lives don't matter or whatever else... they're asking for your solidarity to step back right now and help them. Do you enjoy the spotlight so much that you can't do that? Can't put yourself aside for anyone else for a bit? Be selfless? Not be so insecure that you think deferring to someone else for a bit means you take a hit somehow?

That mayor or that korean-american model didn't take shit because they're racist, they took shit because they couldn't take a knee, figuratively or literally, and not have it be about themselves for awhile and support someone else in their plight. ME ME ME. Not that we should be surprised that a model can't stand not being the centre of attention I suppose.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:58 AM   #333
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Bahahaha.... yes... I'm sure BLM meant all lives matter. If that makes you feel better, by all means, stick your belief in that.
Again, the statement is "Black Lives Matter" NOT "ONLY BLACK LIVES MATTER".

English motherfucker, do you speak it?

Take a class. Read a book. Dare I suggest....the dictionary?

"ONLY BLACK LIVES MATTER" would mean by definition that NO OTHER (white/yellow/red/blue/purple/green) LIVES MATTER.

I personally believe you are on the wrong side because you don't even understand what Black Lives Matter means.
You've based your answers in this thread on your PERCEPTION of this saying which is COMPLETELY WRONG.
Yet when someone comes along to educate you, you refuse the information based off your inaccurate perception.

Quote:
You know why people aren't posting to "support" the cause? It's the same thing going on right now in the US as well.

In the later part of this thread, this has become what's going on in the US, and you can see it in the news and on social media too.

Whoever coming out with a DIFFERENT... not wrong, just DIFFERENT opinion about BLM, they pretty much get shamed to oblivion like they are the worst racist and they should be punished.

The mayor of the city of Fremont, CA got so much shit for not willing to kneel. Does that make her racist?!? Korean-American model called out YellowLivesMatter and they trashed her Twitter calling her racist and thinking only for herself... blah blah blah.

Here in this very thread, some of you taking the same stance being called "taking the right side". Who the fuck gets to decide what's RIGHT?

This is what so fucked up about social justice. We, as God gave us, are entitled to THINK differently. Just because someone thinks differently than you, and even the majority, doesn't mean this person is wrong. As a matter of fact, there were many many cases in history that these few who think DIFFERENTLY went on to define the humanity as a whole.

Take this George Floyd case... people can be totally racial neutral, but SIMPLY DIFFERENT opinion about what's going on based on their own believes and information that were presented to them. That "DIFFERENT" does not make them racists.

We can agree to disagree. But PLEASE BE PERFECTLY CLEAR, there is no right or wrong just BECAUSE WE DISAGREE. If we confine ourselves to be able to have ONLY ONE VOICE. We just became the fucking fascist.
Actually everyone in this thread has been pretty polite to you.

If you want to bring God into this...
The 6th commandment is You shall not murder
The 8th commandment is You shall not steal

Murder is worse than stealing by the fact that the value of a life greatly outweighs the monetary value of any material product.

Money can be reprinted. Products can be remade. Buildings can be fixed.

We cannot return George Floyd to his family.
We cannot return any of the lives lost to police brutality.
What we can do is speak out so that cops are immediately charged and convicted when they kill unnecessarily.

Insurance protects businesses affected by riots.
Who is protecting black people from police?

Factually? You're pretty wrong.
Morally? You're even more wrong.

I make no apologies for saying so.
I think you're kind of a dick for trying to steer the attention away from the current situation but I don't think that I'm "shaming you into oblivion".
You can think whatever you want! We're not saying you can't.
But you entered this thread spouting off about people who are standing for BLM not creating a space for dialogue and you received it.
The funny thing about dialogue is that it has to go both ways.

Anyways, peace and love to you dude.

Last edited by MSREE; 06-07-2020 at 02:22 AM.
MSREE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2020, 03:15 AM   #334
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Plus one of the cops immediately goes to check on him and gets pulled away by another cop.
I don't know that he did try to help him immediately

if you watch again, the cop behind him gives him a push down almost, and it looks like the cop thought it was a directive to check on the old guy, then he gets a push again, and he's like oh! and keeps on movin on
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:52 AM   #335
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Quote:
I'm not going to judge you for being racist.

You know why? Because I'm racist too.

The question is, what do we do to counter our racism? How do we act? What do we say?

As I said a few pages back, the system on which USA and Canada are built (and the British Empire they had roots in) has racism built into it intrinsically. 400 years ago it allowed slavery (up until quite recently in the US). 60 years ago, it allowed total segregations. Today it allows police and others to treat people differently.

Everyone who grows up in these systems in a position of privilege gets it built into them from an early age. They may not realize it, which is what the point was in the post I quoted a while back, but it's there. Go watch that Oprah clip for a related example. It could be minor little uses of white privilege, or it could be overt racism. Not everyone is exposed to it to the same degree. My actions and words may not always have the same levels of damage being done as someone else's, but it's still racism.

Once you realize that there's really no such thing is "I am 100% not racist" I think it's a pretty important step to take to take.

Because the goal is no longer trying to "prove" you're "not a racist" but to think to yourself, is what I am doing racist in some way? Is what I am saying racist? If you think back to all the 'borderline' things you might have done or said, and wish you could have taken it back... Well back then, you didn't think of it. Today, you would think twice before doing it.

Congrats, you acted against your racism. You're a better person. And the world is a tiny tiny bit better now.

Your situation will be different from mine. Some people have more privilege than others. I grew up poor, with very bad parenting (surprise right? lol). I have ADHD and OCD and GAD. I am not as privileged as some other white guy with kind, smart, rich parents and properly balanced brain chemistry. But I am still white. I don't feel guilty for it of course, but I still acknowledge that it gives me privilege. Even with all the disadvantages I have in life.

Just think about it... Acknowledge the privilege, act accordingly. Whether it's white privilege, wealthy privilege, class privilege, etc.

I don't understand why there's so much resistance to wanting to bring other people up.. That's the part I don't really get.

Hope this helps someone
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2020, 06:59 AM   #336
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Just because someone thinks differently than you, and even the majority, doesn't mean this person is wrong.
This is what's so annoying these days. People think they "can't be wrong"
Guess what, some of the things you believe, some of the things I believe, are 100% fucking wrong. It's your job to find out what those things are, and learn from them. I've been wrong throughout my life on racism, and what it entails, and how bad it is, and how prevalent it is, etc, and knowing that I was wrong is going to help me understand it better, to learn from those things, and hopefully be a small part of making things better.

Guess how many of us support the hong kong protests in here, I'd wager anyone who supports the BLM movements do. Guess what we don't do? Go to the HK protests and be like "HEY QUIT PROTESTING HERE WHAT ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE!"
Your attempts to take away the voice for the BLM movement in the conversation to try and put your own agenda into it is the EXACT point that the BLM movements are trying to make. This is about THEIR PROBLEMS AND THEIR INJUSTICES SO STOP TRYING TO ACT LIKE YOURS ARE MORE IMPORTANT.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #337

Even our fucking maps were racist

Play around with this, it's fun
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #338

We as a society are bound by laws that we elect representatives to create/abolish them.

That's what decides right or wrong. Everything else is just OPINIONS.

When one wants to FORCE their OPINION on someone else, that's WRONG, because our charters of rights forbid that.

Racial or any sort of discrimination is WRONG. Again, our charters of rights forbid that. Everyone is equal.

Hurting someone or using excessive force, that's WRONG with laws forbidding that.

Looting and rioting, breaking havoc, and destroying/stealing things... that is WRONG and there are laws associated with that.

We discussing whether we support one side or the other is NOT WRONG because it is OUR FREEDOM TO EXPRESS.

Talking about who's right or wrong here is like I like Honda and you like Toyota. Who are you to tell me that I'm wrong and Toyota is in fact better? Those are NOTHING BUT OPINIONS. And if you want to tell people that if you don't like Toyota, you are in the wrong side of things, that's FORCING your opinion on others. That's WRONG.

You can choose to NOT like me (or about the shit I say) or agree with me/shit I say. That's your opinion. You are welcome to have that. The same that I can choose to not agree with shit you say because that's my opinion.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #339
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_map_projections

I guess it depends is you are a mariner or explorer or.............. you get the idea. I like the orange peel maps.

Shots from space? Yeah, flat earth people be like..............

/nuff said

Just for shits and giggles........

https://www.space.com/40473-flat-ear...an-effect.html
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 06-07-2020 at 09:02 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #340

Freedom is NOT that you can do whatever you want, it's that you don't have to do whatever you don't want.

We'd just agree to disagree. I won't reply more to this thread as we clearly have differences and I think I've made my point clear. What I or any of here think is not WRONG. I know we are not breaking any laws by expressing our opinion. I think that's what's important that we are still free to say pretty much any shit we want.

/out
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #341

Trending on Twitter this morning.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #342
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Kimmy The Pooh...............

there must be something in that name that's racist.

If you look hard enough, you can find any reason to paint someone as "racist." Good thing people already know I'm racist. Beat ya all to it, Gulolow

god bless
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #343
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,725 Posts
Dang, did he just compare Honda to Toyota as a basis of opinion versus right and wrong in relation to basic human rights?

You're digging yourself a deeper hole here, bud.

So you're saying one's opinion supersedes actual facts?

Your argument would then mean someone who believes the Earth is flat, is just as right as someone that doesn't. That is preposterous. There are definitive rights and wrongs.

I can't imagine what a society would look like being run on such a pretense as the one you're parroting here.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #344
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts

On the topic of "are you racist?"

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #345
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,011 Times in 1,911 Posts
^ it's a bit long but the message is true. There are Chinese on Chinese racism. Black on black racism. Indigenous on indigenous racism. Etc.

Not sure how this adds or detracts from the topic at hand but it is true. Not an opinion ... truth.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #346
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
going forward i hope there's less N words in my favourite music genre
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
That's like 50% of the lyrics in mumble/mainstream rap though.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #348

Mitt Romney protesting

People will be cynical about this too, but it has to be a good thing for a former GOP candidate to be out there. Photo op? For what, is he running? Maybe? Also he's called out Trump for his racist shit before, and has a black grandchild apparently (how's that for motivation)

Also it shows that we can disagree on many things, but still try to be good.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #349

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Going forward I hope cops stop killing unarmed people. But hey we all have our priorities.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #350
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
y not both
https://theundefeated.com/features/i...-never-use-it/
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote