REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #151
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Right, I think that's the main issue because if this:

Is what you're getting from my posts, I must be doing a really bad job of communicating. And in my posts I've been saying all along that I don't think I'm doing a good job of it. That's why I tried posting quotes from smarter people, but that didn't work either... So I'll just stop...
You could also quote and respond to the other more intelligent things I said in that exact same post.
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #152
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
You could also quote and respond to the other more intelligent things I said in that exact same post.
I though that was at your request, you said you didn't want to argue on a forum about it? But let's see...

Quote:
And I think the issue is that YOU and many others are using this undertone that all white people willingly know of this system, choose to do nothing and happily enjoy reaping all the benefits.

This goes back to what you said in a previous post about white people should ‘revoke their white privilege’ or whatever. Something almost impossible to quantify.
To your first point, nobody is saying ALL white people WILLINGLY abuse their privilege. In fact, the quote I posted, and (at least my intent) my posts have been saying the OPPOSITE. MOST people aren't even AWARE of their privilege. THAT is what we're talking about here. Be AWARE that while you may not be born racist, there are things built into the system that are racist.

And yes, it's hard to quantify. That's why you should think about it more. It doesn't mean "I should give up my job to a black person" (come on) but it might mean "I should help elect this person who will make things more fair for black people". For instance.

It's hard for me to explain every little aspect of privilege, because I experience it differently here in Asia where I've been for 17 years now. I can give you a couple examples though. Most of my privilege involves not being harassed by cops in non tourist areas (I say that because in tourist areas there is some disenfranchisement with corrupt cops and such).

One example is going around day-drinking in Shibuya with my brother (wife's brother, who is chinese). We didn't get totally wasted, but he shows it more than I do (red face). So we're walking around and he gets stopped by some cops. They aren't rude about it, but ask for his ID and left us alone. They didn't so much as look at me.

So there's one small instance of white privilege. Now what can I do about that? How do I "revoke" that privilege? In this case, I already did it. It's just "don't get wasted in public during the daytime". It seems a simple thing, but think about it. We both could have been trashed and deserved to be thrown in the drunk tank. But only he would have been. I can't change that, but I can change my behaviour by not getting trashed. Trust me, there are people who wouldn't eve think about this, and in the end would go "sorry man, I don't know why they went after you and not me". If I was a real dick knob I just wouldn't give a shit, and go around drinking and causing a scene. Using the trains handrails as gymnastic equipment? How often do we see groups of white tourists do that? Pretty much all the time! Because they know they won't get into too much trouble, if any, because of their privilege.

Another case in Japan in a rural area, I got caught for speeding. The speed limits are ridiculously low there, like a 6 lane empty highway will have a speed limit of 70 KM/h. So I was probably going 90 and passed a ghost car, who pulled me over. With the language barrier, they couldn't even tell me what I did wrong or issue me a ticket. So they just let me go. If I was Japanese, I would have gotten a ticket. So what do I do to "revoke" my privilege while driving? Don't speed! There are people who don't give a shit about road laws while traveling, because they won't get into trouble for it. They have the privilege afforded because of their race that they won't get harassed by a racist cop, or even treated like a local.

Asian these are tiny little cases, but it's what I can think of on the top of my head here at 8am before breakfast. If I thought about all my travels through asia, I could probably come up with many more (small memories come to me as I write this). I didn't think about this stuff, but as I become more socially aware, I become more aware of this privilege. So if I never thought about it, I know most people probably don't either. That's why I want to help explain it. Obviously not doing a good job of that though.

I hope this clears it up for you... I don't know why you and honda and twitchy are getting literally the opposite meaning of the intention here, but I hope this helps.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #153

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
George Floyd protests in America

What needs to be pointed out is that Trump’s authorization of soldiers to maintain “law and order” in American cities also threatens the peaceful protests too.

Fat Garfield is changing the narrative AGAIN to by referring himself as a “Law and Order”
President in order to improve his approval ratings. Law and order requires soldiers to use rubber bullets against peaceful protesters while this TYRANT can get a photo-op at a church near the White House???

This man is delusional! A speech that is to supposed to bring calm and peace to America is actually inflammatory. Making up theories about “left wing radicals” and “anti fascists” causing trouble when it is really some people who want to steal Nike, Gucci, Prada etc. merchandise for their own use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by pastarocket; 06-01-2020 at 06:15 PM.
pastarocket is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #154
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
I think it's pretty clear what skinny's trying to say;
Just recognize how truly awesome it is to be white and not some other color
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 06-01-2020 at 08:37 PM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #155
My homepage has been set to RS

danned is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #156

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 06-02-2020 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Post violent tweets - and tweets from fake news/russian and/or chinese inciting news sites - in the NSFW section
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:53 PM   #157
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 PM   #158
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
I think it's pretty clear what skinny's trying to say;
Just recognize how truly awesome it is to be white and not some other color
You think it's a joke? It is not.

You are white living in America/Canada. You won the lottery at 1 second old. To a lesser extend are the all the other American-born/Canadian-born people of other ethnicity. Most immigrants endures hardship to immigrate knowing their children will start off with a winning lottery ticket.

I understand it can be tough to be aware of a born privilege, especially in Canada where you are insulated from pretty much all of these issues. So please educate yourself, better yourself as a person and sympathize with other's plight. Instead of hiding behind an Internet alias and bare the fucking woe-is-me attitude all the time. A dude just got publicly executed on camera with no remorse, the latest among years and years of many other documented or undocumented incidents. It isn't about you. You can take care of yourself and your family while share sympathy with others. It isn't mutually exclusive.

It doesn't matter which way you lean politically currently or in the past. Learn to take in information, process it intelligently. It's a mark of an educated person to grow, to be able to formulate an opinion and change that opinion in light of new information. The most dangerous MFer is an idiot with a conviction. Being left or right, liberal or conservative should never be your identity. Being a decent human being should be. If you think otherwise, there is still time to change that.

Black people will influence changes with this protest. But the ones making the changes are white people. Have always been that way. Maybe not a policy change under this current regime, but behavior change from American people themselves, more people waking up to their privilege and use it for good.

So, shut the fuck up and listen for a minute. And perhaps you can help change the world for the better too.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #159

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Spoiler!

So in order to make things better for oneself and others, one must:
- assume the privilege and background of others.
- lecture others in a condescending manner.
- make assertions without facts or evidence.
- appeal to others by telling them to shut the fuck up.

Is that all?

Being woke sounds a lot like being a sanctimonious asshole.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 06-02-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:03 AM   #160
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
This whole page is just so discouraging.

If this way May 22, I might engage with people about it. But now I'll just leave it be.

I learned that you can't force someone to be good to other people. All you can control is your own actions. You can try to spread information that you think helps you do this, but you can't force them to pay attention to it, or understand it the same way you did.

I guess you just have to leave it at that. Do the best you can, and hope nobody gets hurt.

It's really discouraging, but that's better than getting mad and adding to the negativity.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2020, 06:35 AM   #161
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Spoiler!

So in order to make things better for oneself and others, one must:
- assume the privilege and background of others.
- lecture others in a condescending manner.
- make assertions without facts or evidence.
- appeal to others by telling them to shut the fuck up.

Is that all?

Being woke sounds a lot like being a sanctimonious asshole.
Dont forget about assuming the guilt of generations before you.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #162
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
did guys win the lottery too by being born as males?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #163
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Well, according to the gender pay gap. Yes.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #164

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Being left or right, liberal or conservative should never be your identity.
But apparently race should be.
My sister is white. Born privileged I guess. She's got schizophrenia.
But of course you wouldn't know that if you were simply judging people by the "privilege" of the color of their skin.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #165
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,453 Times in 987 Posts
can't believe this shit needs to be explained over and over again.

nobodys saying white people don't have hurdles and difficult lives as well. they can be disabled, they can be discriminated for all sorts of things, they can be brought up in poor and abusive families. life isn't automatically easy if you're white.

the point is that one thing you don't have to worry about holding you back is your race. you don't have to worry about randos yelling shit at you just because of the colour of your skin. you don't have to worry about cops assuming you're a criminal because of your skin. you don't have to worry about being followed around in a store because of your skin. that is what white privilege is all about. not that life is a cake walk for white people, it's that in a racist world, they are the ones that don't have to worry about one factor holding them back: their skin colour.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #166
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,228 Posts
So apparently one of the officers standing by while Chauvin knelt on Floyd is Hmong, not white. Chauvin's wife (soon to be ex) is also Hmong as well.

Take whatever you want from that. I'm not wading into this White Privilege minefield. I'll just throw stones at it from afar.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #167
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,560 Times in 1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
This whole page is just so discouraging.

If this way May 22, I might engage with people about it. But now I'll just leave it be.

I learned that you can't force someone to be good to other people. All you can control is your own actions. You can try to spread information that you think helps you do this, but you can't force them to pay attention to it, or understand it the same way you did.

I guess you just have to leave it at that. Do the best you can, and hope nobody gets hurt.

It's really discouraging, but that's better than getting mad and adding to the negativity.
Don't be discouraged, you're engaging with online personalities in which you already knew their stated opinions and where they would fall on this subject, one would hope their opinions are not indicative of the general populace watching these events unfold. So why bother putting any emphasis on their opinion?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #168

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Well, according to the gender pay gap. Yes.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #169
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Going through these comments reminds me of why when I'm on RS, I read 95% of the time, and post very little.

Most of the active posters on RS are overall similar: similar demographic socio-economically, similar in age, make a live-able income, and are generally tolerant and competent people.

BUT it's frustrating as HELL to post on here without getting into a triggered discussion, because the arguments are all on semantics. A lot of you dissect the conversation to your own terms and miss the point of the topic.

I'm not going to repeat what has been said, because I'm not as eloquent as other posters here.

I will say, to try to have EMPATHY with each other, and to everyone around you.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #170
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
That’s why I dint disagree with Mikemhg regarding the difference between sitting down in person and having a conversation VS reading a post and dwelling on it for a few minutes and breaking it down into your interpretation

While it gives you time to further formulate a thought, it feels like it’s even less constructive in some ways
Old 06-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #171
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Old 06-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #172
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Dont forget about assuming the guilt of generations before you.
Sounds about white.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #173
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
Going through these comments reminds me of why when I'm on RS, I read 95% of the time, and post very little.

Most of the active posters on RS are overall similar: similar demographic socio-economically, similar in age, make a live-able income, and are generally tolerant and competent people.

BUT it's frustrating as HELL to post on here without getting into a triggered discussion, because the arguments are all on semantics. A lot of you dissect the conversation to your own terms and miss the point of the topic.

I'm not going to repeat what has been said, because I'm not as eloquent as other posters here.

I will say, to try to have EMPATHY with each other, and to everyone around you.
Yeah and people wonder why less and less members stopped posting.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #174
I am Hook'd on RS

In my opinion, all this talk about white privilege goes nowhere and divides people.

Here are some thoughts on police brutality:

Claim:
Police brutality is an issue.

Evidence:
George Floyd. There are countless examples of police falsely arresting an innocent victim then pressing fake charges to justify their mistake. I believe James King is the name of one such victim. Regardless, one incident is enough. Just google "Police brutality in the US" and read if you want more examples.

Solution:
The government as an institution has a monopoly on the use of force and use the police to ensure that people follow the rules. Because this monopoly can be abused, the US has Civil Rights, which are things a government cannot do.

Because all cases are not clear-cut, someone acting as an agent of the government has immunity from liability if they 1. believed that what they were doing was lawful and 2. if what they were doing was objectively reasonable. The Supreme court thought this wasn't enough to protect government officials so they established a looser standard in granting immunity which is whether or not a reasonable person in the official's position would have known their actions were in line with clearly established laws.

So now government agents are presumed immune by the courts. If they do something they shouldn't like kill an innocent person, before the person can sue the government official, they have to convince the courts that that person doesn't deserve immunity. The police know this so they're not worried about being accountable for violating Civil rights.

The solution is to end qualified immunity.

If you speed in a construction zone, you face double the penalty. Cops vow to protect the people so if they break their oath, they should face double the penalty. Commit murder? Double the sentence. The vast majority of cops are good and this is a way to weed out the evil ones.

I think the other things messing up society are:
1. War on drugs
2. Welfare state
3. Minimum wage

I'll go deeper into them when I have time. Thoughts?
birddog3k is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #175
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog3k View Post

If you speed in a construction zone, you face double the penalty. Cops vow to protect the people so if they break their oath, they should face double the penalty. Commit murder? Double the sentence. The vast majority of cops are good and this is a way to weed out the evil ones.

I'll go deeper into them when I have time. Thoughts?
I'm a huge proponent of this and have said that years ago. The same should apply to politicians. If you are put in a position of power and are found to abuse that power, the punishment should be greater.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: