REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

tegra7 03-12-2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipseman (Post 8977662)
Interesting tweet/analysis my wife sent me...

:heckno:

SkinnyPupp 03-12-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8977668)
Well, i think you may have more faith in people's judgment to self isolate than i do.

We're at 150 now. Was 100 this morning.

It's not that I have faith, it's that it's the best solution currently available. Based on the ignorance on display here and other places I've seen, there really is not much we can do from preventing a catastrophe. Just ride it out and hope we come out on the other end OK.

150 now, expect it to be 300 in 4 days, 600 by next week. And so on...

welfare 03-12-2020 10:43 PM

This is how unprepared Canada is. They're basically repelling people from being tested.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6668233/p...s-coronavirus/

striderblade 03-12-2020 10:51 PM

Just shut the city down for a month. Let the people know so we have time to stock up. No flying out or flying in. Clearly our situation is not improving. Just look at how fast the virus spread in Italy. We are already suck at preparing for winter. This can't get any worst than that. Do we really need to have 1000 ppl die from this to take it seriously. People have family kids. It's it worth it for people to go to work and risk that 18 dollars for this? Everyday there is a new case. We really need to wait for the government to take action? This is life and death situation here. Trudeau wife is tested positive bet he's kicking his own ass atm.

J____ 03-12-2020 11:36 PM

2 months of criticizing the Chinese government for not acting swiftly, and also laughing at those that wear masks, it's now our turn to see how quickly out of hand this virus can get. Word of advise is not to listen to the gov/docs and over protect ourselves. They really don't know what they're talking about and unfortunately, didn't learn from China's mistakes. If shit really gets out of control, no way we can contain it quickly like China did because we have some bs human rights crap and can't quarantine 5 million people. Protect yourselves people, this stuff gets out of hand very quickly and spreads like gonorrhea through Olympic village.

SkinnyPupp 03-13-2020 01:59 AM

Notes from UCSF Expert panel - March 10

Panelists
Quote:

Joe DeRisi: UCSF’s top infectious disease researcher. Co-president of ChanZuckerberg BioHub (a JV involving UCSF / Berkeley / Stanford). Co-inventor of the chip used in SARS epidemic.

Emily Crawford: COVID task force director. Focused on diagnostics

Cristina Tato: Rapid Response Director. Immunologist.

Patrick Ayescue: Leading outbreak response and surveillance. Epidemiologist.

Chaz Langelier: UCSF Infectious Disease doc
This mostly goes over the stuff we've been saying here. Their estimates are much less optimistic than the guy on Joe Rogan. They say 12 months, and 40-70% of the population in the US will be infected (he said 96 million infected, this is more like 120-210 million).

Using 1% mortality rate, that's around 1.2-2.1 million deaths (the guy on Rogan said 460K). The guy on Sam Harris' second virus show said 0.6%, but I don't know what he's basing that on. Korea has the lowest rate, and they are at 0.88%.

The post does go into details on why testing capacity will not be good enough to be really useful, and going in for tests isn't something we should worry about right now.

Quote:

Currently, there is no way to determine what a person has other than a PCR test. No other test can yet distinguish "COVID-19 from flu or from the other dozen respiratory bugs that are circulating”.

The leading clinical lab firms, Quest and Labcore have capacity to process 1000 kits per day. For the nation.

UCSF and UCBerkeley have donated their research labs to process kits. But each has capacity to process only 20-40 kits per day. And are not clinically certified.

Novel test methods are on the horizon, but not here now and won’t be at any scale to be useful for the present danger.
Right now the #1 thing is: don't go into crowded places. Don't go to the hospital unless you have respiratory or cardiac issues. There is NOTHING the hospital can do for you that you can't do at home if you don't have these issues.

This is for the people who are looking for facts from experts. Not some clown on TV telling you to "live your life".

Manic! 03-13-2020 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8977671)
This is how unprepared Canada is. They're basically repelling people from being tested.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6668233/p...s-coronavirus/

Even worse in the US.

https://time.com/5801790/coronavirus-testing-us/

Also, you have a lot of paranoid people that want to be tested but don't need to be tested and just end up taking up resources.

welfare 03-13-2020 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8977682)
Even worse in the US.

https://time.com/5801790/coronavirus-testing-us/

Also, you have a lot of paranoid people that want to be tested but don't need to be tested and just end up taking up resources.

Without thorough testing, you can not accurately monitor the situation.
If you look at countries that have leveled the curve, they've either promptly introduced rigorous testing, or shutdown necessary travel entirely. Sometimes both.
Canada has done neither.

Ludepower 03-13-2020 05:40 AM

Are we waiting for more casualties? Our prime minister wife has it for fuck sakes.

No work, no school, no public gathering for a month and give every citizen $2000.

Lets go full Italy mode right now. Shutdown the whole country and close our borders except for trade. Its inevitable anyways.

Extraordinary measure for extraordinary times.

Badhobz 03-13-2020 05:49 AM

Agreed. This is getting out of hand.

I feel the worst for our frontline heath care providers.

Anyone else surprised as hell about Richmond not having a case so far ?!? I know the Chinese populace here are extra paranoid but I think it kind of works.

SkinnyPupp 03-13-2020 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8977683)
Without thorough testing, you can not accurately monitor the situation.
If you look at countries that have leveled the curve, they've either promptly introduced rigorous testing, or shutdown necessary travel entirely. Sometimes both.
Canada has done neither.

Korea's measures were much more drastic than just doing a lot of testing, although that was part of it. The main thing they were able to do was precisely track practically everyone who got it, and made sure anyone who may have come into contact would be notified to be tested and quarantined if necessary.

So for instance if someone at your gym got it, you would have no way to know. But in Korea, you'd get a notification on your phone. From there, you self isolate, and they come test you to see if you need to be quarantined.

Civic complicity was a part of why this is effective. Take a look at this very thread and think, will Canadians be as complicit? Or Americans for that matter?

Very drastic, not as draconian as China or Italy. Seems to have been effective in slowing the wave, but it is kind of too early to be sure. They are starting to get people testing positive in Seoul, and of course if their borders are open to travel, incoming infected is inevitable.

Mr.HappySilp 03-13-2020 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8977684)
Are we waiting for more casualties? Our prime minister wife has it for fuck sakes.

No work, no school, no public gathering for a month and give every citizen $2000.

Lets go full Italy mode right now. Shutdown the whole country and close our borders except for trade. Its inevitable anyways.

Extraordinary measure for extraordinary times.

Well some people make more than 2k. I say make your wage. Honestly though I don't really feel scare. Wash my hands more often than before, always wipe my hands with wet ones if I want to touch my face of rub my eyes. Nothing have really change, I still go out for dinner, parks. Maybe coz I live near Coquitlam center and generally there isn't much people out anyways. I also work early at 7am so again not much people is out at that time.

I did however avoid going to more crowded place like metrotown and DT.

RiceIntegraRS 03-13-2020 06:12 AM

You'd be surprised at how many people still have the mentality of "just live your life" over the mentality of "being safe than sorry". Its very mind boggling to see and it's the reason why this is only going to get worse. But I'm not even the least bit surprised that people are acting like they are invincible, privileged, entitled to life that they cant even be inconvenienced for a day, a week, let alone a month. People just need to learn the hard way.

Mr.HappySilp 03-13-2020 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 8977690)
You'd be surprised at how many people still have the mentality of "just live your life" over the mentality of "being safe than sorry". Its very mind boggling to see and it's the reason why this is only going to get worse. But I'm not even the least bit surprised that people are acting like they are invincible, privileged, entitled to life that they cant even be inconvenienced for a day, a week, let alone a month. People just need to learn the hard way.

I think it also have to do with the Canada Gov keep saying the risk is low. I understand they want to keep everyone from freaking out but at the same time they should tell people to prepare.

RRxtar 03-13-2020 06:24 AM

Handing out $2k to everyone does fuck all when all the small businesses go bankrupt because they can't work and make their financing, credit, mortgage, loan, lease, rent payments. Not everyone works in an office.

twdm 03-13-2020 06:39 AM

This thread has officially become a circle-jerk of doomsday cultists. Ahhhh people dropping dead left and right. Ahhhhh!! Please do stay at home. Don't wait for the government. Quit your jobs, take your kids out of schools, buy 3 months worth of toilet paper and other supplies, board up your houses and get the shotgun ready to repel us coronavirus zombies. Better safe than sorry.

By the prediction of all the experts here, since the pandemic is uncontrolled, we should estimate 4% of the world's population will die. Wow. 300 billion people dead this year. Amazing.

I have some high-grade anti-coronavirus plastic bottle helmets to sell to you guys if you're interested. Bottled air from the swiss alps free of coronavirus as well. Shit I should start a company selling this shit to the chinese.

J____ 03-13-2020 07:07 AM

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...s-and-tactics/

Here's a good article, compares how Korea and Italy responded differently in the early stages of their epidemic. Korea was locking down shit and testing while Italians were chilling and going out with friends. Now see the difference in infected and deaths between the 2 countries. Don't take the early stages lightly, better to be laughed at by people by wearing masks than regretting it in the hospital.

J____ 03-13-2020 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twdm (Post 8977694)
This thread has officially become a circle-jerk of doomsday cultists. Ahhhh people dropping dead left and right. Ahhhhh!! Please do stay at home. Don't wait for the government. Quit your jobs, take your kids out of schools, buy 3 months worth of toilet paper and other supplies, board up your houses and get the shotgun ready to repel us coronavirus zombies. Better safe than sorry.

By the prediction of all the experts here, since the pandemic is uncontrolled, we should estimate 4% of the world's population will die. Wow. 300 billion people dead this year. Amazing.

I have some high-grade anti-coronavirus plastic bottle helmets to sell to you guys if you're interested. Bottled air from the swiss alps free of coronavirus as well. Shit I should start a company selling this shit to the chinese.

China's probably the safest country right now next to North Korea. NK just executes anyone with the virus ��

But seriously though, I'm not saying panic and lock yourself in a cage for the next month but don't take this lightly. I'm living in Shanghai and during the early stages of the virus here after Wuhan was quarantined, Shanghai closed everything and the citizens here literally locked themselves home overnight, only going out to buy groceries with masks. At the same time, people in Guangzhou didnt give a crap and went out to socialize without any precautionary measures or masks. 2 weeks later Guangzhou was massively hit with confirmed cases and the province was in chaos, Shanghai's situation was barely any worse.

The problem with this virus and what makes is spread so quickly is you can literally have no symptoms and still be highly contagious. You don't need to sneeze or touch someone, there's a chance to transmit it by talking to someone since the majority of people spray saliva when they talk.

Believe what you will, it's only your own and your families lives in hand.

Of course the government doesn't tell you it's serious since the last thing they want is an entire country to panic and riot.

Funny thing is, the situation now in the west is just like how it was in China in December, while back then everyone was criticizing China for hiding the real situation and people not taking it seriously causing the cases to escalate so quickly. Now the exact same thing is happening in the west and no one is giving a shit lol.

The reason Italy got so bad was because no one gave a shit in the beginning until it was so wide spread that the medical team and government couldn't contain it.

pastarocket 03-13-2020 08:36 AM

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03...d-19-outbreak/

New restrictions for flights and cruises.

Flight restrictions will mean aircraft flying into Canada from overseas will be limited to a smaller number of airports

Cruise ships carrying more than 500 people will be banned from docking at Canadian ports until July

Ludepower 03-13-2020 08:46 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...d-19-1.5496367

Trudeau contemplating closing the borders. Looks like were headed towards that direction...as predicted.

320icar 03-13-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8977685)
Agreed. This is getting out of hand.

I feel the worst for our frontline heath care providers.

Anyone else surprised as hell about Richmond not having a case so far ?!? I know the Chinese populace here are extra paranoid but I think it kind of works.

A coworker brought that up to me the other day actually. Within 24h of the news breaking? 80% of people had masks on. Sold out of them as well as sanitizer and wipes etc. Response was swift and immediate.

Look at Washington. Maybe they’re just ignorant to “the plight of the chinese” but a lack of response and thinking it isn’t important has screwed then.

320icar 03-13-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Right now the #1 thing is: don't go into crowded places. Don't go to the hospital unless you have respiratory or cardiac issues. There is NOTHING the hospital can do for you that you can't do at home if you don't have these issues.
I work everyday in an extremely crowded place, and I’m at the hospital once a fortnight because of my preggo wife...

blkgsr 03-13-2020 09:31 AM

looks like my trip to mexico on April 8th isn't gonna happen.....

J____ 03-13-2020 09:33 AM

to lighten the scene a bit, I thought this was pretty funny

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f7&oe=5E909D86

Euro7r 03-13-2020 09:34 AM

How's the groceries stores like locally? I haven't done grocery shopping in 2 weeks, so I need to go this weekend (not because of the panic mode/hoarding frenzy). I heard it's busy, so just trying think it's probably best to go right before closing or right when it literally opens to avoid "crowd".