REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #376
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,911 Posts
^ I struggle with this kind of quick vigilante justice. This is reminiscent of the #MeToo movement where people are charged, indicted, and sentenced on IG or twitter.

Companies and organizations are making statements in support because it is good marketing. People are being called out if they speak up, people are being called out if they don't. For example, Ellen was called out for this ... really? Like OK, I must be tone deaf too because I think her original tweet was pretty clear and supportive.

According to screenshots that were taken of the now-deleted tweet, Degeneres wrote, "Like so many of you, I am angry and I am sad. People of color in this country have faced injustice for far too long. For things to change, things must change. We must commit ourselves to this change with conviction and love."

While the message clearly talked about unity, a lot of people took notice of how Degeneres played safe and generalised the movement by mentioned 'People of Colour'. The movement at present talks about the discrimination that Blacks face in America on a daily basis and many felt her generalising the movement did not help.

Advertisement

Last edited by whitev70r; 06-09-2020 at 01:18 PM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #377
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I wonder how many people are going to lose their jobs for posting racist sh/t online.
I removed the name because local.
The court of public opinion is a fucked up one. I don’t usually agree with “social justice” like this unless it directly effects the job being done.

That woman in the states who worked at the courthouse who refused to process gay marriage certificates even though it was federally legal deserved to be fired (yet she was treated like a hero). But if she hated gays and kept her opinion at home and still did her job, then whatever. Not saying she’s a good person obviously but she has the right to like or hate anything she wants as long as it doesn’t take away the rights of someone else (in this example gay marriage)
Old 06-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #378
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ I struggle with this kind of quick vigilante justice. This is reminiscent of the #MeToo movement where people are charged, indicted, and sentenced on IG or twitter.

For example, Ellen was called out for this ... really?

According to screenshots that were taken of the now-deleted tweet, Degeneres wrote, "Like so many of you, I am angry and I am sad. People of color in this country have faced injustice for far too long. For things to change, things must change. We must commit ourselves to this change with conviction and love."

While the message clearly talked about unity, a lot of people took notice of how Degeneres played safe and generalised the movement by mentioned 'People of Colour'. The movement at present talks about the discrimination that Blacks face in America on a daily basis and many felt her generalising the movement did not help.
She said she wouldn't take her foot off a n*****s head either and the only people of color technically are white.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #379

Quote:
She said she wouldn't take her foot off a n*****s head either and the only people of color technically are white.
Jesus Christ....
Old 06-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #380

The same chick I posted about before. Her sister defended her and rumor is got fired from VIHA. (Vancouver Island health authority)

Old 06-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #381
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts

If you look online, the location is all over the map. I’m sure it happened somewhere.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
https://twitter.com/vanislandhealth/...88292216242176

If you look online, the location is all over the map. I’m sure it happened somewhere.
People who claim they know her, say she lives in Nanaimo. She has also posted in some Nanaimo groups before.

She made the news.
https://www.victoriabuzz.com/2020/06...employee-viha/
Old 06-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #383

Quote:
People who claim they know her, say she lives in Nanaimo. She has also posted in some Nanaimo groups before.

She made the news.
https://www.victoriabuzz.com/2020/06...employee-viha/
Looks like Victoria Buzz interviewed her. Article from today. She hasn’t worked for Island Health since 2015 according to the article.

https://www.victoriabuzz.com/2020/06...=recirculation
Old 06-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #384

Look, people do and say dumb shit outside work hours but companies need to be careful of labour laws, remember?

Hydro One rehires man fired after FHRITP incident
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...dent-1.3300059

Hydro One says it has rehired an employee it fired for a comment he made in support of a friend who yelled obscenities at a female reporter during a live television interview.

Daffyd Roderick, Hydro One's director of corporate affairs, released a statement on Monday confirming Shawn Simoes has been rehired.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #385
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #386

Old 06-10-2020, 06:11 PM   #387

.... is that a joke or is he being serious
Old 06-10-2020, 06:36 PM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
.... is that a joke or is he being serious
He is serious. https://americanhistory.si.edu/colle...ct/nmah_515980

But it's also a joke.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #389

Bahahahaha ok sorry I get it now. I thought he was trying to say how the white flag is somehow racist
Old 06-10-2020, 11:38 PM   #390
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Chilliwack School District apologizes for middle school previously engaged in 'slave day'

who the hell thought this was good idea? lol oh boy...only in Chilliwack...
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:58 AM   #391
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
Chilliwack School District apologizes for middle school previously engaged in 'slave day'

a lot of schools used to do that, private schools too (even in HK)

like auctioning a date/slave for a day, teachers would participate too (being auctioned off)

ppl were less touchy about every little thing and didn't read into things other than what meets the eye, world has changed a great deal since
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:00 AM   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post

you must be real young, we did it for fundraisers all the time in my day. This happened 10 years ago. C'mon ... aren't there bigger battles to be fought on this issue?

From article,
CHILLIWACK (NEWS 1130) — The Chilliwack School District has apologized after an Instagram post brought to light something known as “slave day” that took place at a local middle school more than a decade ago.

Last edited by whitev70r; 06-11-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #393
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
These changes just seem so hallow to me. Great, they're banning the confederate flag... in 2020.

What does that change? That doesn't change the racist past or the fans that attend Nascar races. How about investing in driving schools for kids and kit car teams for minorities, to get a more diverse of racers in the mix? To this day, only 7 black Nascar drivers have ever started a race.

There's a great documentary on Netflix about one of the few black Nascar drivers (he didn't last long there):

Uppity: The Willy Ribbs Story
https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/812...e%20Indy%20500.

I recommend giving it a watch.

So yes, that's nice they're banning a silly flag, but these weak corporate reactions to this whole issue are really starting to seem quite empty and virtue signaling.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #394

It’s the classic under-reaction/non-reaction for decades and then sudden change of heart when shit hits the fan.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #395

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
It’s the classic under-reaction/non-reaction for decades and then sudden change of heart when shit hits the fan.
Exactly...

it's not about removing people's names, statues right now, it's about proper education. Can't erase history, we can accept, understand and teach younger generations.

Falk, someone's dad was a slave owner.... How about someone's grandpa was a German Nazi back then, or husband's great grandpa took advantage of aboriginals, some white owner imposed chinese residential school.... the list goes on forever....

Should we now remove Mount Rushmore National Memorial and take off their faces because of some type of slavery ... ghezzzzz
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #396
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
These changes just seem so hallow to me. Great, they're banning the confederate flag... in 2020.

What does that change? That doesn't change the racist past or the fans that attend Nascar races. How about investing in driving schools for kids and kit car teams for minorities, to get a more diverse of racers in the mix? To this day, only 7 black Nascar drivers have ever started a race.

There's a great documentary on Netflix about one of the few black Nascar drivers (he didn't last long there):

So yes, that's nice they're banning a silly flag, but these weak corporate reactions to this whole issue are really starting to seem quite empty and virtue signaling.
Nascar had had a drive for diversity program for many years to attract minorities and females. One of their half Asian drivers who was a beneficiary of that program recently was so suspended indefinitely for saying the n-word live in a video game
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #397

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
The thing about statues is, they should be reserved for iconic people from history that deserve to be celebrated. Gretzky, Martin Luther King, Stephen Hawking, etc. It shouldn’t just be history, it should be the history we are proud of. If we aren’t proud of it, yes we should learn about it in school, learn about why it was wrong, etc. No one learns how slavery was wrong from having the statue of a slave owner in the middle of the city.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #398
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Should we now remove Mount Rushmore National Memorial and take off their faces because of some type of slavery ... ghezzzzz
Don’t give Dotard any ideas. He so wants to to have his face carved on Mt. Rushmore.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #399
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Statues like that of Terry Fox makes most sense to me. I’m not a fan of sports heroes, unless they truly made a difference in everybody’s life.

Bethune, Currie, Marconi, etc. Problem is, these people might have something about them that rubs someone the wrong way.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:25 PM   #400
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

I agree, it's a tiny little thing, but it's something people have been trying to get them to do for decades.

Now they did it. Same as the statues.. Tear those fuckers down! Teach about them in history and on TV, but don't celebrate them with statues. We're talking about actual slavers here - people who FOUGHT to be able to own human beings. Not even people who "did good but actually owned slaves at one point". Actual slavers.. Fuck that!

I posted that because it's showing some positive change due to the movement. They tried to get them to do it when BLM first started, but they didn't.

It's evidence that this time, the movement appears to be having some effect. If this movement is going to actually make significant changes to culture, the small ones need to take place first. You can't get to step 10 of your 10 step program without going through steps 1-2-3 first.

Same thing with the Roger Goodell statement. Compare his words today to what he was saying and doing when Kaepernick started kneeling. I actually found out that he had a conference call with all NFL employees (not just the players) and everyone from their media, to TV hosts, to stats people got to speak to him directly about it. It was said to be very emotional... And he followed up with that statement, before even talking to the owners (some of whom, as you can expect, were caught off guard and pissed off)

These little changes have to happen before the big changes take place. The key is to keep the pressure on and go through all of it. The people resisting these changes are only going to give in a tiny bit at a time. They'll give you the flag, they'll remove statues, they'll rename streets. They'll do as little as possible, but people have to keep the pressure on to get the bigger changes to happen.

This tweet says it better than I could

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: