REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   OFFICIAL WORKOUT/TRAINING THREAD v2.0 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/659190-official-workout-training-thread-v2-0-a.html)

truth 01-07-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by see.lai (Post 7753119)
I noticed that my shoulder has begun to have some pain when I bench, or when I move it. This happened after I squatted. Does this have something to do with the joints or something? I really don't want to have that problem that most people have with benching. :concentrate:

if it's anything like the upper back/shoulder blade/rotator cuff pain I experience after having the bar on my shoulders after squatting, I find that doing pull ups or hanging from the pull up bars help alleviate the pain. Keeping in mind, I've had the pain for years (before squatting) and even went to physio for it, but nothing else has helped.

neggo 01-07-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7752559)
When that happens I use mixed grip
Posted via RS Mobile

Oh, I have always been doing my DL's with mixed grip...by the last set my grip is completely finished.

Maybe I'll try pyramid-ing down next time or definitely get a hold of chalk.

Thanks for all the replies, guys :)

DC5-S 01-07-2012 01:30 PM

Dont do it with mixed grip.. Do overhand grip.. it will build your grip strength more
Posted via RS Mobile

hx2gls 01-07-2012 01:41 PM

I wouldn't say don't use mixed grip at all. I usually go as heavy as I can grip double overhand and switched to mixed grip when I can't hold on anymore. After deadlifts I'll lower the weight and do some more isometric holds with double overhand to train grip. I don't want my deadlifts suffering because of my grip

strykn 01-07-2012 02:10 PM

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/1984/photorvx.jpg

DC5-S 01-07-2012 02:18 PM

I have one more. You suck
Posted via RS Mobile

V4NC1TY 01-07-2012 02:22 PM

people at my school's fitness centre think protein shakes are cheating :lol
i mean, it's just a meal replacement to help you get that extra protein ...
one of my friends was like, "oh i don't need to use protein"
they think it's some kind of magical elixir that gets you jack3d overnight

tiger_handheld 01-07-2012 03:06 PM

first time poster in this section - excuse the noobness.
-

So I have not worked out for the past 5-6 years atleast. Looking to start now!

Dropped by the local fitnessworld and the first months fee is $260 and $40 per month after that.

For $260 I get:
3 personal training sessions at 130
Initiation fee at 50
first month membership at 40
card fee at 15
rest is tax.

Is $260 worth it? It seems hella expensive BUT I like the personal trainer part as I would not know wtf to do to achieve my goals. But the $260 is making me have second thoughts...

feedback appreciated!

mc25 01-07-2012 03:13 PM

Usually personal training runs $60-$80 around here for a session. So it seems OK, but not great, but Im just comparing what we have around here on the island... I think the initiation fee is BS though… as far as im concerned, you want my business you should be giving me something...

exdee 01-07-2012 03:14 PM

anyone have that rotary cuff video that was posted in here before? my shoulders have stiffened over the break

tiger_handheld 01-07-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7753265)
-

Dropped by the local fitnessworld and the first months fee is $260 and $40 per month after that.

For $260 I get:
Initiation fee at 50
card fee at 15
rest is tax.

Is $260 worth it? It seems hella expensive BUT I like the personal trainer part as I would not know wtf to do to achieve my goals. But the $260 is making me have second thoughts...

feedback appreciated!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc25 (Post 7753271)
Usually personal training runs $60-$80 around here for a session. So it seems OK, but not great, but Im just comparing what we have around here on the island... I think the initiation fee is BS though… as far as im concerned, you want my business you should be giving me something...

Am I able to negotiate with these types of places?

mc25 01-07-2012 03:32 PM

Id try to get them to wave the initiation fee…I honestly dont even see whyd they have it. Takes about 3 minutes of preparation to enroll a new member. If the floor person doesnt have the authority, ask for a manager. Ive never dealt with a corporate gym, but Id give it a shot.

LC21 01-07-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7753276)
Am I able to negotiate with these types of places?

You can always negotiate at fitness world.

But i think the personal training thing is a decent deal, since you dont know what to do.
Posted via RS Mobile

Fcukedd 01-07-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V4NC1TY (Post 7753227)
people at my school's fitness centre think protein shakes are cheating :lol
i mean, it's just a meal replacement to help you get that extra protein ...
one of my friends was like, "oh i don't need to use protein"
they think it's some kind of magical elixir that gets you jack3d overnight

lololololol

hal0g0dv2 01-07-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strykn (Post 7753213)

dam
this is why i need a costco member ship
i am low on protein and dont want to buy any fml

Phozy 01-07-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

-

For $260 I get:
Initiation fee at 50
card fee at 15
rest is tax.

feedback appreciated!

So if you sign up for any gym, there's an initiation fee now?
I'd suggest a rec centre,no init.fee and card fee as far as I know. and if you're willing, do a loot of reseaarch, maybe look up beginners programs like starting strength, and save yourself the PT fee. The rest of info get off RS :P

Also, can't we get a temporary pass to buy thing from costco?
Posted via RS Mobile

hal0g0dv2 01-07-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

-

For $260 I get:
Initiation fee at 50
card fee at 15
rest is tax.

feedback appreciated!

do yo have any friends that workout or anything, personal trainers are not my kinda thing, if you do go with them and get them to show you what to do and it will motivate you to go with your buddies and have a workout partner for the start

MindBomber 01-07-2012 04:33 PM

In my opinion, personal training is well worth it when you first start training, it's an immense help to have someone there to correct your form. I wouldn't use the sessions for the first few weeks though, wait till your muscles are loose and used to being worked again, then have someone step in to evaluate your routine and form.

tiger_handheld 01-07-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 (Post 7753319)
do yo have any friends that workout or anything, personal trainers are not my kinda thing, if you do go with them and get them to show you what to do and it will motivate you to go with your buddies and have a workout partner for the start

Not really. Most of them run. I dont think any of them lift. I'm somewhat motivated to go but it's always nice to have though. Anyone in surrey want to be my workout partner ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7753321)
In my opinion, personal training is well worth it when you first start training, it's an immense help to have someone there to correct your form. I wouldn't use the sessions for the first few weeks though, wait till your muscles are loose and used to being worked again, then have someone step in to evaluate your routine and form.

I was going to use them first week and then every 4 weeks after. I only have 3 sessions in the "package". What would I do for the first week. I wont know how many reps or what machine to use. I'm ASNOOBASITGETS

SkinnyPupp 01-07-2012 04:59 PM

Nice avatar halo, you should crop it out though

mc25 01-07-2012 05:01 PM

That would work…just make sure when you go for your first session, you inform them of your goals, and that you wont be needing them for a month so they set you up with a program you can do on your own for a month.

Excelsis 01-07-2012 05:03 PM

fitness world offers you like 2 free personal training sessions when you begin

but the trainers there are shit, and i doubt how good trainers are at other gyms

I had to fucking correct a guy's form cause the dumb bitch trainer was going to make him break his back, and some of those trainers put noobs on intensity super sets.. go figure

i'd recommend just spend 1 hour a day or so or just a few mins in your spare time to look up videos of people lifting and doing correct form if you're going for squats, deadlifts, bench, etc and find a program

5x5 isn't bad for starters

MindBomber 01-07-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7753343)
I was going to use them first week and then every 4 weeks after. I only have 3 sessions in the "package". What would I do for the first week. I wont know how many reps or what machine to use. I'm ASNOOBASITGETS

A Simple Beginner's Routine - Bodybuilding.com Forums

I agree with Alpha on trainers, I would only pay to meet with someone who has a degree in kinesiology. It's really hit and miss otherwise.

Excelsis 01-07-2012 05:14 PM

gold's gym was giving personal trainers credit for "kinesiology" when they never actually took it, was on cbc news i think

MindBomber 01-07-2012 05:21 PM

Consumer watchdog to probe Gold's Gym | CTV British Columbia

The kinesiologist I see works out of a physio clinic in a community centre, we work in the gym available there.