REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/mobile-phone-tablet-chat_52/)
-   -   The iPhone 5 and iOS6 Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/673461-iphone-5-ios6-thread.html)

sonick 09-12-2012 10:58 AM

Having skimmed over the liveblogs of the iPhone 5 launch and forum posts...

Gotta say, still pretty happy with my S3 :fuckyea:

SkinnyPupp 09-12-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terkan (Post 8027454)
lol.. you'd expect those as a minimum improvement no? i mean nowadays.. most phone's successor is lighter, thinner with better battery, cpu, screen etc no? Iphone 4 was a huge upgrade on iphone 3gs but iphone 5? it's barely an upgrade over the iphone 4s.. only thing huge is they added LTE and scretched out the screen to make it bigger.. and the battery life is going to be better but you'd expect that since technology is evolving every day. i mean what new phones out there that releases nowadays doesn't have any of the above feature you mentioned improved on the previous model anyways? oh and changing the connector so they can force people to buy new accessories ain't exactly an improvement

BUT ITS' CALLD LIGHTENING AND GOES WITH THUNDAR :derp:

SkinnyPupp 09-12-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 8027455)
Having skimmed over the liveblogs of the iPhone 5 launch and forum posts...

Gotta say, still pretty happy with my S3 :fuckyea:

:fuckthatshit: I'm fine with my Desire HD. Although I am just glad I could get ICS on it.. that really made a big difference in performance and battery life. I was kind of feeling the sluggishness there for a bit on the default OS

Vale46Rossi 09-12-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terkan (Post 8027454)
lol.. you'd expect those as a minimum improvement no? i mean nowadays.. most phone's successor is lighter, thinner with better battery, cpu, screen etc no? Iphone 4 was a huge upgrade on iphone 3gs but iphone 5? it's barely an upgrade over the iphone 4s.. only thing huge is they added LTE and scretched out the screen to make it bigger.. and the battery life is going to be better but you'd expect that since technology is evolving every day. i mean what new phones out there that releases nowadays doesn't have any of the above feature you mentioned improved on the previous model anyways? oh and changing the connector so they can force people to buy new accessories ain't exactly an improvement

So, lets hear your ideas, what would you like it to do that it's not going to do?

rk604 09-12-2012 11:03 AM

Apple - iPhone 5 - Compare specifications between iPhone models.

iphone 5 using nano-sim...great...another sim card change

rk604 09-12-2012 11:04 AM

iPhone - Buy iPhone 5 with Free Shipping - Apple Store (Canada)

$699...50bucks more

Vale46Rossi 09-12-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk604 (Post 8027460)
Apple - iPhone 5 - Compare specifications between iPhone models.

iphone 5 using nano-sim...great...another sim card change

It's free of charge @ Apple Store :)

Simplex123 09-12-2012 11:06 AM

^ What terkan is saying is that it's no big deal. It's an expected update especially with all the leaked images. Nothing special. Same design since 2010. How boring is that.. I know they say don't fix what isn't broken, but people just get bored of the same design that they spend 2-4 hours staring at everyday.

SkinnyPupp 09-12-2012 11:09 AM

They call Lightning "USB" but don't specify if it's 2 or 3...

If I ever hear someone use the term "Lightning" to describe their cable or connector non ironically, I am afraid I am going to get violent

Also...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...30-pin-adapter

$29!!! :lawl: :lawl: :lawl: :lawl: :lawl:

Vale46Rossi 09-12-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex123 (Post 8027463)
^ What terkan is saying is that it's no big deal. It's an expected update especially with all the leaked images. Nothing special. Same design since 2010. How boring is that.. I know they say don't fix what isn't broken, but people just get bored of the same design that they spend 2-4 hours staring at everyday.

You have to realize they ARE doing an update of the SAME product.

Other brand launches different phones way more often than Apple so they often can change their image.

I personally like how it looks with the new update, considering I never liked the iPhone 4 in black (although I had it) and I got the 4S in white... now I want the 5 in black since it looks really good.

SkinnyPupp 09-12-2012 11:12 AM

I was never a fan of the aesthetics of the iphone 4, but the black iphone 5 looks really nice. Not using that ugly fucking silver band was a good idea.

rk604 09-12-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8027464)
They call Lightning "USB" but don't specify if it's 2 or 3...

If I ever hear someone use the term "Lightning" to describe their cable or connector non ironically, I am afraid I am going to get violent

Also...

Lightning to 30-pin Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

$29!!! :lawl: :lawl: :lawl: :lawl: :lawl:

"This USB 2.0 cable connects your iPhone or iPod with Lightning connector to your computer's USB port for syncing and charging or to the Apple USB Power Adapter for convenient charging from a wall outlet."

twitchyzero 09-12-2012 11:15 AM

naming it Lightning is gonna make it easy for the consumers to get it confused with Thunderbolt

Psykopathik 09-12-2012 11:15 AM

AWS gets fucked again

InvisibleSoul 09-12-2012 11:31 AM

"Anyone can make a larger smartphone display. But if you go large for large’s sake, you end up with a phone that feels oversize, awkward, and hard to use. iPhone 5 features a 4-inch display designed the right way: it’s bigger, but it’s the same width as iPhone 4S. So everything you’ve always done with one hand — typing on the keyboard, for instance — you can still do with one hand."

Fuhrėr-Z 09-12-2012 11:37 AM

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿
I'll stick with my iPhone 4...Think my next phone upgrade will be an android...Unless blackberry changes the world next year.

dangonay 09-12-2012 11:37 AM

Larger screen, LTE and camera improvements are OK, but I'm really interested in the A6 processor. How many cores it has, which GPU it's using and what clock speed. The A5 was already damned good, but if the A6 is 2X as fast (like they claim) then this should be one of the fastest (if not the fastest) phone you can buy.

Vale46Rossi 09-12-2012 11:40 AM

This is my reaction to the iPhone 5 announcement :

Whats good I think about it?

New processor "faster" (hoping that it is 2x faster)

Camera updated, still using 8MP, faster, and the Panoramic view is now available, 28MP in total (if i remembered correctly) picture looks pretty good on the keynote.

I think the 4" should be good (for me at least) 1136 x 640 I believe 326ppi

weighing lighter and thinner doesnt really matter to me but considering its a better performance phone its actually good that they are keeping the same battery life if not better.

Honestly, it looks pretty good of an upgrade for me to use considering I sold my 64GB 4S for $650 and now only $200 or so to upgrade it.

I really like how the Black on Black looks.

There's a lot that I left out but this is what I am happy with.

Araaadi 09-12-2012 11:42 AM

Yea the black on black looks really good, makes it very tempting to get rid of the s3 for it.
Posted via RS Mobile

The_AK 09-12-2012 11:43 AM

not sure if disappointed or not, was expecting more (iphone 4s user here)

winson604 09-12-2012 11:49 AM

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not an Apple Fan/Hater or Android Fan/Hater and I'm currently still using my Bold 9780 so any upgrade is a huge upgrade for me.

Not sure what route to go yet though. The S3 looks sick but I hate the 2 colors, might way until black comes out to see. iPhone black on black looks sick too. May just flip a coin, I would be more than happy with either.

mr_chin 09-12-2012 11:49 AM

Introducing Apple Iphone 5.

A6 chipset giving you 2x the speed. If 4s is 1ghz CPU, that means iPhone 5 will be 2ghz?

Brilliant 4 inch retina display with a reduced PPI of 1%!

With support of the LTE technology, the iPhone 5 can go up to 100mbps.
Speed varies depending on your provider and location.

Lightning fast USB 2.0 connector.

28g lighter, 1.7mm thinner, 7.4mm taller!

The front camera is now 720p at 1.2mp!

RacePace 09-12-2012 12:01 PM

Get your lightnings, $30 each lol

Lightning to 30-pin Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Hehe 09-12-2012 12:12 PM

I will be the first to say...

I think iPhone5 "blew" it.

I mean, after the minor upgrade from iPhone4->iPhone4S, the expectation was high.

What we ended up getting is basically an iPhone 4SS. I will make a list of the new stuff and go one by one:
A6 processor: it should because the A5 in 4s is not keeping up with newer Tegra3/Snapdragon offer.
4" inch screen: Wow, a ming-blowing 0.5" increase. And LETTERBOX for apps that didn't design to fit. Is this the best solution Apple could come up with?
Lightning connector: Apple made the emphasize that everything is wireless now. Why bother? To top it off, they stick with USB2. And the adapter is $30?!?! :rukidding:

Nothing really new was brought to the market. Apple basically updated the iPhone because the iPhone4s was getting dated comparing to other competitors (S3, Nexus, One-X... etc)

sonick 09-12-2012 12:18 PM

http://cdn.chud.com/f/f8/313x237px-L...075b_stacy.gif